Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road (22890 Views)

Best SUV For 1 Million Naira Budget? / What Is The Best SUV For A Small Girl? / Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 4:12pm On Sep 22, 2011
Hello Guys

Can you recommend a list of SUV's for the Nigerian road  - and one that can easily maintained by our local engineers  ( with parts easily available  )

Thanks

I was initially considering a Mitsubishi Endeavour -  But this jeep only comes in a 3.8 litre engine -  ( Worried about the cost of fuelling this thing for daily usage - it is for My Mother)

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by cardoso111(m): 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2011
rav4
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 4:27pm On Sep 22, 2011
cardoso111:

rav4

Thanks - Unfortunately it is beyond my financial means -
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by femmy2010(m): 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2011
Nissan Xterra and Pathfinder
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 22, 2011
A Rav4 is actually as very good fitting car for Nigeria based on my observations. I know you said it's out of the budget but how can it be when you are considering a 2008 Endeavor? Maybe a little bit older?

It's very economical, petite for those tight squeezes, good visibility and best of all it's a Toyota.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by Osama10(m): 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2011
The Toyota Landcruiser, although from personal experience with the 4runner, Pathfinder and Highlander are good options too.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 4:18am On Sep 23, 2011
Somorin#1:

A Rav4 is actually as very good fitting car for Nigeria based on my observations. I know you said it's out of the budget but how can it be when you are considering a 2008 Endeavor? Maybe a little bit older?

It's very economical, petite for those tight squeezes, good visibility and best of all it's a Toyota.

No its a 2005 model
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 8:58am On Sep 23, 2011
Na for this section - sef - This section is only about selling cars - its original plan was to discuss Autos.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by texazzpete(m): 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2011
blacksta:

Na for this section - sef - This section is only about selling cars - its original plan was to discuss Autos.

Well, Seun has helped you by putting this up on the homepage grin

You shouldn't be surprised, though. You have no idea how many people think Nairaland is just a place to find jobs, to them the Jobs section is the only one that exists.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by mastro: 12:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
Hello Guys

Can you recommend a list of SUV's for the Nigerian road - and one that can easily maintained by our local engineers ( with parts easily available )

Thanks

I was initially considering a Mitsubishi Endeavour - But this jeep only comes in a 3.8 litre engine - ( Wordier about the cost of fuelling this thing for daily usage)

OK First thing, what is your budget?

Do you want a full size SUV or are you willing to look at medium size ones?
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by go4gold107(m): 12:07pm On Sep 23, 2011
@ OP

I use a Mitsubishi Endeavor
Been using it for 1 year, 4 months now.
Only been to the lube bay for my oil and oil filter changes
Changed brake pads once

and changed the door handle when my security man climbed on it to wash the roof (felt like roasting his legs cheesy grin)

Guess what, it's a 3.6litre V6 engine.  Strong and very perfect for Nigerian roads because of it's ground clearance
Less people use it in Naija.  So expect heads to turn when you pass
You will perfectly enjoy it

Leave the story about parts.  Even if you cant buy parts in Naija, the world is a global village that u can get original parts from the US in a week

My Suggestion:
Mitsubishi Endeavor is a good buy.  I am enjoying mine!
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by go4gold107(m): 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2011
Oops

I forgot to mention the leg and cargo space
I did a 10 hour long journey with it and jumped down as if I just finished watching a premier league game. No fatigue cheesy cheesy
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by switch47(m): 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2011
Range Rover sport
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blackmann(m): 12:27pm On Sep 23, 2011
here are some good options for you -

2003 Honda pilot.
Honda CRV.
Toyoya highlander (the 2003-2005 2007 models).
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by Ekans: 12:43pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ford Edge(wonderful ride),try it.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:52pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Blacksta - The Nigerian road is a formidable champion that requires an equally formidable challenger - allow me to put forward my professional recommend.
The Main Battle Tank M1 - Abrams. It is a perfect fit for the Nigerian road.

Stats
Alternative Designations: General Abrams
Country of Origin: USA
Role: Main battle tank
last date Of Introduction: 1995
Crew: 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver) or (husband, wife, nanny, baby)
Combat Weight: 60 tons, Peace-time Weight: 28 tons
Ground Pressure 13.50 psi (0.95 kg/cm²)
Length, Overall 32.04 ft (9.77 m)
Width, Overall 12.0 ft (3.66 m)
Height, Overall 9.47 ft (2.89 m)
Height, Turret Top 7.79 ft (2.37 m): Useful for engaging BRT buses and arrant Danfo drivers
Ground Clearance 19 in (483 mm)

Engine: Avco Lycoming AGT-1500 1,500 hp (1,119 kw) gas turbine engine
Transmission: Allison X1100-3B Cross-Drive Transmission.  4 speed forward, 2 speed reverse, with pivot and neutral selections.
Range: 310 miles (498 km)
Fuel Capacity: 504.4 gal (1,909 l) - Diesel, Mogas, Jet fuel
Road Speed: 45 mph, governed (72 km/h)
Cross Country Speed : 30 mph (48 km/h)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 12:55pm On Sep 23, 2011
mastro:

OK First thing, what is your budget?

Do you want a full size SUV or are you willing to look at medium size ones?

It doesn't matter  - I am all for practicality - dont care how the car looks  - just something reliable , easily fixed by our guys in Nigeria. - If i had my way i would driving a Land Rover Defender as i believe the below car suits the Nigerian terrain perfectly

1 Like

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 12:57pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Lagerwhen

lol - how many MPG does that thing do - How person co maintain LOW PROFILE with than thing grin
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by hbrednic: 12:59pm On Sep 23, 2011
2011 tuborcharged cayenne,you will love the handling.

rav 4 is a toy meant for women only.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by enkoby: 1:02pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ekans:

hello Ekans. do you use ford edge? I m thinking of buying a ford edge 2008 but i have not seen any one in naija that has used it. i would like some advice on the reliability of the car on nigerian roads. many thanks
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 1:02pm On Sep 23, 2011
go4gold107:

@ OP

I use a Mitsubishi Endeavor
Been using it for 1 year, 4 months now.
Only been to the lube bay for my oil and oil filter changes
Changed brake pads once

and changed the door handle when my security man climbed on it to wash the roof (felt like roasting his legs cheesy grin)

Guess what, it's a 3.6litre V6 engine.  Strong and very perfect for Nigerian roads because of it's ground clearance
Less people use it in Naija.  So expect heads to turn when you pass
You will perfectly enjoy it

Leave the story about parts.  Even if you cant buy parts in Naija, the world is a global village that u can get original parts from the US in a week

My Suggestion:
Mitsubishi Endeavor is a good buy.  I am enjoying mine!

Ok

Your comment has been noted - If cant find an alternative will stick to the Endeavor.  Looking again at the Endeavor - it definitely looks rugged and prepareD to tackle the Lagos roads.  Nowadays with all the flooding  - A low car is NO NO
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by snthesis(m): 1:04pm On Sep 23, 2011
blacksta:

Thanks - Unfortunately it is beyond my financial means -
Eyah!!! sad
never d lest, i did some research for you (yes dont mention- i'm a nice guy cool )
and i got a vehicle that meets your requirement

blacksta:

Hello Guys

Can you recommend a list of SUV's for the Nigerian road  - and one that can easily maintained by our local engineers ( with parts easily available )

Thanks

I was initially considering a Mitsubishi Endeavour - But this jeep only comes in a 3.8 litre engine - ( Wordier about the cost of fuelling this thing for daily usage)

hope you like it, and d sound system is madt grin grin grin grin

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by lawyer(m): 1:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
2005 Nissan Armada . .  .Wow grin Clear road for jagajaga Moto!!!
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by smokeyupu(m): 1:15pm On Sep 23, 2011
A Nissan Xterra or an older model of a Pathfinder will do just fine. Make your mummy happy!!! and God will continue to bless U
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 1:17pm On Sep 23, 2011
lawyer:

2005 Nissan Armada . .  .Wow grin Clear road for jagajaga Moto!!!

Ol boy that Ride na monster - Had one in Port Harcourt for about couple of days

Unfortunately the SUV is for my mother - If it were me  i will surely be rocking it

I wouldn't want all those small boys toasting my mother  grin

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 1:20pm On Sep 23, 2011
snthesis:

Eyah!!! sad
never d lest, i did some research for you (yes dont mention- i'm a nice guy cool )

lol - mumu
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by blacksta(m): 1:29pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ekans:

Nice Ride - but my mama dey very modest

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by Fhemmmy: 1:30pm On Sep 23, 2011
snthesis:

Eyah!!! sad

You are so hilarious  . . . . . Lol
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by hackney(m): 1:37pm On Sep 23, 2011
Like osama10 said , a Toyota landcruiser is your best bet for the nigerian roads.
Durable and has good mechanics for it.

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by ochukoccna: 2:19pm On Sep 23, 2011
switch47:

Range Rover sport
U know how much it goes for? shocked shocked shocked shocked
He said he has a budget.
Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by bfire(m): 2:31pm On Sep 23, 2011
Nisan Pathfinder 991/2 - 2000: this is good on suspension and fuel consumption of 3.3L engine

The 2001 - 2004 :also good on suspension and a 3.5L engine.

The 2005 upward is a monster performance with a 4.0L engine and it consumes fuel more.

Honda Pilot:

2003 - 2005 is a beast on it's own with a good handling why driving and consumption is a 3.5L engine.

2006 - 2008 is very sleek with a good body trim that helps in performance also with a 3.5L engine and a better improvement on the tranny.

Toyota Highlander:

2001 - 2003 is the best in engine performance (not power oo pilot is more powerful) overall

2004 - 2007 same body shape only the light and grille mounted on a 3.3L engine.

On USA SUVs: your best bet is Ford Edge

On Mitsubishi truck: go for Montero/Pajero.

Goodluck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road by yashika(m): 2:58pm On Sep 23, 2011
Hw much does an Acura MDX cost, its a very good car, looks almost like a Honda Pilot. Somebody should tell me If MDX is a good SUV to buy for an average Naija young man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Drive Rats Away From My Car? Please Help / This Is How To Spot A Flooded Car (video) / Acura Type-s, Successor To The Acura TLX Sedan, Unveiled - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.