Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel (5520 Views)

Register 1998 Camry For Sale @600k Call 08057715212 / Very Sharp 1999 Toyota Camry[tiny Light] @ Cheap Price N730k Banix 08035376690 / Need A Good 'rewire' To Help Fix My 1998 Honda Crv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by zenus(m): 5:11pm On Sep 22, 2011
Please My Toyota Camry - Tiny light consume a lot of fuel than I was expecting.
My location is Calabar.
I have been to machine and each keep telling me diff story and try his best but the problem still persist.
Please what should i do.
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 22, 2011
zenus:

Please My Toyota Camry - Tiny light consume a lot of fuel than I was expecting.
My location is Calabar.
I have been to machine and each keep telling me diff story and try his best but the problem still persist.
Please what should i do.

Dear Poster,
How do you calculate the high fuel consumption? Less I forget what is the engine capacity? V6 or 4 plug?

Please kindly provide details
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by zenus(m): 11:12am On Sep 23, 2011
Thanks for response.
It's 4 Plug.

A friend of mine of the same version use less fuel that i used on the same journey
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by cretin: 12:44pm On Sep 23, 2011
did u buy it fresh toks or naija used?, also is the check engine light showing?
Download: eType1.com/f.php?FWOD0Q

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by Ikenna351(m): 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2011
A lot can cause such symptom: rich mixture. The following Injection system components can make a car run very rich or thirsty: fualty Oygen sensor (O2), failed Fuel pressure regulator (FPR), faulty Air flow meter (AFM), Vaccuum leak (leaking of air hose), clogged/dirty injector(s), blocked fuel line/pipe under the car, etc. You need to start eliminating all these one after the other till you get the culprit. If i were you, I would start with Vaccuum leak. Make sure that all hoses on the engine dont have any leak & are all well plugged in. Hope no one has disconnected the O2 sensor wiring connector/plug from the sensor? If I may ask, is the car emiting black smoke from the exhaust? Black smoke means "excessive fuel". That is too much fuel is been injected into the cylinders via intake manifold, which can be caused by any of the things i listed above.

Bear in mind that the no of cylinders of a car engine(I4, V6, V8, V10 or V12) wont stop the engine from running rich if any of the injection system components is faulty. Proper maintenance & proper diagnosis keeps an engine mixing air & fuel properly in cylinders.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by zenus(m): 12:29pm On Sep 25, 2011
cretin:

did u buy it fresh toks or naija used?, also is the check engine light showing?
Download: eType1.com/f.php?FWOD0Q

I really thank you all for the concern and only God will reward you guys richly.
It's a tok.
The engine red light is showing on the dash board.
When ask a machanic on why the light is there is said no problem on that light issue.
I really need to get this thing fix.
Thanks so much
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by zenus(m): 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2011
Ikenna351:

A lot can cause such symptom: rich mixture. The following Injection system components can make a car run very rich or thirsty: fualty Oygen sensor (O2), failed Fuel pressure regulator (FPR), faulty Air flow meter (AFM), Vaccuum leak (leaking of air hose), clogged/dirty injector(s), blocked fuel line/pipe under the car, etc. You need to start eliminating all these one after the other till you get the culprit. If i were you, I would start with Vaccuum leak. Make sure that all hoses on the engine dont have any leak & are all well plugged in. Hope no one has disconnected the O2 sensor wiring connector/plug from the sensor? If I may ask, is the car emiting black smoke from the exhaust? Black smoke means "excessive fuel". That is too much fuel is been injected into the cylinders via intake manifold, which can be caused by any of the things i listed above.
Ikenna.

Sir you must have been a professor.
Thanks so much for this intellectual lecture.
Though I need some one assistance for understanding most of the terms but I'm really grateful in all.

From my observation
1. They is a plug that lead from the exhaust to the engine that is not plug. When contacting a machine on it. It said it's a termostat. I don't know if this is one of the plug mention.
2. On the exhaust, I do feel the black smoke on the exhaust any time I touch it but it does not emit black smoke.
3. One guy was telling me a net on the exhaust might also course de problem but on checking on the net. It look like nothing is happening to it. And the have also seal on the leakage on the exhaust line and clip some pipes in the engine too.

I will try to go through this your lecture once again or may even print it out and study it inorder to explain it to a machanic.
May God bless.
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by cretin: 9:41am On Sep 27, 2011
@zenus, good u bought it fresh toks, so i guess it hasnt been tampered with much, u need to scan the car and know why the check engine light is showing, if you are in lagos or abuja,, search tru nairaland, there is a nairalander who scans cars free of charge.

the result of the scan will help isolate ur problem, though i suspect either the oxygen sensor or catalytic converter - ur car cud be burning lean or too rich, or even bad spark plugs.

post the error code of the scan here, so we can advise u.
cheers
Re: Help! My 1998 Camry Tiny Light Consume A Lot Of Fuel by Ikenna351(m): 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2011
Zenus,

From what you described, the sensor disconnected is the Oxygen sensor. Its the only sensor been installed on exhaust pipe or exhaust mainfold on any Fuel Injected engine. Oxygen sensor function is to signal to ECU to reduce the air-fuel mixture when it senses rich mixture via carbon passing exhaust pipe. It kind of fine tune & regulate the air-fuel mixture. Without it plugged, the car will aways run rich or very thirsty (consume too much fuel). If i were you you, I would find out why it was unplugged. Some people unplugged the O2 sensor when it becomes faulty, so that the ECU can start guessing on the amount of fuel that needs to be sprayed into the cylinders via intake manifold. You can simply look for a new O2 sensor of the same part no/type, replaced the old one with it & plug it back please.

There is nothing wrong in going for the scanning, but since its obvious that what eliminates too much fuel consumption on your engine is unplugged (02 sensor), you should at least fix that first, to avoid spending money on scanning & at the end refered back to the O2 sensor. Its what I would do.

Ikenna.

(1) (Reply)

Location Of The Engine Number Of A Toyota Camry Se 2008 / Open Roof Toyota Celica 2002 To 2003 Model For Sale / Tokunbo Nissan Almera 2001 Mode For Sale.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.