Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,985 members, 7,799,365 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc (7873 Views)

Buhari And The Virtually Empty Treasury (deceit Or Illiteracy) / Gbm's Illiteracy Gradually Rubbing Off On APC Supporters / Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by OAM4J: 4:14am On Sep 25, 2011
[size=13pt]70 per cent of Nigerians are illiterates -VC[/size]

The Vice-Chancel lor of the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Professor Isaac Adewole, has painted a gloomy picture of education in the country, saying that about 70 per cent of the population are illiterates in a time most countries in the world have been rolling back the frontiers of ignorance.

Professor Adewole stated this at the weekend in an opening remark as the chairman of a Read Dinner and Award night in commemoration of the 2011 World Literacy Day held at the banquet Hall of the Premier Hotel, Ibadan.

He said the country, rather than arrest the drift towards poverty of knowledge, was already preparing grounds for future illiterates with about eight million Nigerian children out of school.

The vice-chancellor, who was represented at the occasion by Professor Clement Kolawole, said that education data survey of Nigerians between the age of 19 and 50 showed that only 20 per cent of males in the category could read and write, while 70 per cent could not, whereas about 50 per cent of females in the same category were literate.

He attributed the development to lack of attention to the education sector, adding that the situation would become gloomier unless conscious efforts were made to promote reading culture, as well as explore the use of indigenous languages as languages of instruction in schools in the country.

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/news/5168-70-per-cent-of-nigerians-are-illiterates-vc
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 25, 2011
When I say that a bunch of NLers in this politic section are educated illiterates, they'll start attacking.

I'm an exception though.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Rgp92: 8:07am On Sep 25, 2011
70 % is alot :O
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 25, 2011
The North should contribute about 40%,East 25% and west 5% of that figure. grin

1 Like

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Rgp92: 8:18am On Sep 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

The North should contribute about 40%,East 25% and west 5% of that figure. grin

Nah, west got more illiteracy people than the east

2 Likes

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 25, 2011
Rgp92:

Nah, west got more illiteracy people than the east
Serious ?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Rgp92: 8:25am On Sep 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Serious ?

Ye. We're still smarter than them though

2 Likes

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 8:27am On Sep 25, 2011
^^Whats this one talking about? everyone knows The East got much illiterates than The west.

70% is too much in Nigeria, thats much more than exaggeration.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Rgp92: 8:31am On Sep 25, 2011
Tosinville:

^^Whats this one talking about? everyone knows The East got much illiterates than The west.

70% is too much in Nigeria, thats much more than exaggeration.

Only tribalist yoruba thinks so! Wake up, the east got less illiterates than west. Many yoruba know this already in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 8:49am On Sep 25, 2011
^^You can say whatever you like about being tribalistic or not, thats your own cup of coffee but i'll let you know that we have much more illiterates in The Eastern parts than The West. You barely see a Yoruba youth that will dropout from school after secondary sch to sell motor spare parts, pirated CDs, Tobukun stuffs etc like the igbo folks just because they believe paper is much more than education in their own system, i'll let you know that there are much more igbo illiterates in lagos even Alaba market is enough to fix thousands of illiterate out, they only knows how to count good cash on pirated CDs, Okrika outfits & shoes etc but they barely read or write #fact.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by member479760: 8:50am On Sep 25, 2011
if not more!
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 8:56am On Sep 25, 2011
Rgp92

Bro, try and accept the fact, whenever it comes to education in Nigeria, the yoruba(s) are really chasing Degrees than any other tribes in Nigeria & its what everyone knows, even the igbos can also testify to that. Pls stop stating blind arguement on here, man.

1 Like

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 25, 2011
Rgp92:

Ye. We're still smarter than them though
Being industrious does not translate to being literate !
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by cgem: 9:24am On Sep 25, 2011
MANY comments here proove that most of you don't even understand what "illiterate" means. FYI If you can read and write in any language, you are literate. It must not be english, If I can read and write in chinese for example I am literate. Stop this crap of presuming someone that dropped out of secondary school to be an illiterate! The question is "can he read and write?"

Just shows so many people are so dumb, that they cannot even make sensible judgements because they are all enveloped in a cloud of ethnicism and tribal factions! BTW I don't even believe the dumb professors statistics, At most I will say it is an assertion, because no research was carried out to that effect by his "fallen glory" university
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 25, 2011
cgem:

MANY comments here proove that most of you don't even understand what "illiterate" means. FYI If you can read and write in any language, you are literate. It must not be english, If I can read and write in chinese for example I am literate. Stop this crap of presuming someone that dropped out of secondary school to be an illiterate! The question is "can he read and write?"

Just shows so many people are so dumb, that they cannot even make sensible judgements because they are all enveloped in a cloud of ethnicism and tribal factions! BTW I don't even believe the dumb professors statistics, At most I will say it is an assertion, because no research was carried out to that effect by his "fallen glory" university
I presumed you are also a literate if you can write receipt for your customers.if yes,that should account for the supposed high literacy in iboland !
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by cjfavour(m): 9:30am On Sep 25, 2011
Yorubas shld wake up and stop basking in yestday's glory. Gone are d days when yorubas are d most literate ppl.2day they prefer agbero even in school.go 2 any primary/secondary schl in yoruba land and see what's happening there. On illiteracy rate in 9ja,blame d south east govs,nay peter obi 2 b precise.school fees in anambra state university is now N120,000.d poor used 2 send their children 2 school,now how can they continue when school fees of a school dt does nt have amenities is all this high?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 25, 2011
Only a tribalist will say that east hv more illitrates than west. Wake up. In the villages in the east  u-ll hardly see a person that can't speak english or hear, even they greet with english lang. Gd morning old woman wll ans u how are you? Even families rival each other on hw many graduates they goit. Universities in the east charge up to 600 dollars a session eg anambra uni #120k for yr1, 70k for )r2 up n still there is congestion. Almost 100% students in eastern uni r frm east. Check unilag,uniben,unijos,ui n rest igbos still constitute high population. See not all igbo biz man r illitrate.most still return to school after they succed in their biz. Even me am a 2.1 graduate turn bizman, cos biz runs in our blood. Yorubas nw prefer beign mechani n carpenter,electrian etc. Check jamb records! Plz wake up

2 Likes

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Relax101(m): 9:49am On Sep 25, 2011
Tosinville:

^^You can say whatever you like about being tribalistic or not, thats your own cup of coffee but i'll let you know that we have much more illiterates in The Eastern parts than The West. You barely see a Yoruba youth that will dropout from school after secondary sch to sell motor spare parts, pirated CDs, Tobukun stuffs etc like the igbo folks just because they believe paper is much more than education in their own system, i'll let you know that there are much more igbo illiterates in lagos even Alaba market is enough to fix thousands of illiterate out, they only knows how to count good cash on pirated CDs, Okrika outfits & shoes etc but they barely read or write #fact.

Tosinville:

Rgp92

Bro, try and accept the fact, whenever it comes to education in Nigeria, the yoruba(s) are really chasing Degrees than any other tribes in Nigeria & its what everyone knows, even the igbos can also testify to that. Pls stop stating blind arguement on here, man.

Accept the fact. But honestly tribalism has done so much damage to your system. It will be difficult to convince tribalist like you to accept the truth.
The best is to allow you wallow and swim in your beclouded ignorance.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 25, 2011
kcswat:

Only a tribalist will say that east hv more illitrates than west. Wake up. In the villages in the east  u-ll hardly see a person that can't speak english or hear, even they greet with english lang. Gd morning old woman wll ans u how are you? Even families rival each other on hw many graduates they goit. Universities in the east charge up to 600 dollars a session eg anambra uni #120k for yr1, 70k for )r2 up n still there is congestion. Almost 100% students in eastern uni r frm east. Check unilag,uniben,unijos,ui n rest igbos still constitute high population. See not all igbo biz man r illitrate.most still return to school after they succed in their biz. Even me am a 2.1 graduate turn bizman, cos biz runs in our blood. Yorubas nw prefer beign mechani n carpenter,electrian etc. Check jamb records! Plz wake up
So the ability to speak that English language = being literate and if your east is still struggling to produce graduate per family,what will you say about Ekiti where a family can boast of atleast one PHD holder ?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by asha80(m): 10:29am On Sep 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So the ability to speak that English language = being literate and if your east is still struggling to produce graduate per family,what will you say about Ekiti where a family can boast of atleast one PHD holder ?

please bring out a proof of this
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 25, 2011
asha 80:

please bring out a proof of this
typical ibo man looking for proof.why not go to ekiti and find out for yourself.that is an assignment for you !
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 25, 2011
Fountain of Knowledge = Ekiti state
Believe it or go drink otapiapia
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by asha80(m): 10:51am On Sep 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Fountain of Knowledge = Ekiti state
Believe it or go drink otapiapia

i have been to Omuo in ekiti.visited a friend that was serving there.nothing to really show about everyhousehold having a professor.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by kabukabu50(m): 11:09am On Sep 25, 2011
Its worse, should be about 90%, cause nobody counts the aboki families, in those huts they could have hundreds of illiterate women and children that no one ever sees grin
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by cap28: 11:12am On Sep 25, 2011
the ones who claim to be able to read and write are even worse than the illiterates because their knowledge is limited to regurgitating the ideas of their colonial masters , they have no understanding of the world they live in and are merely educated illiterates.

1 Like

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 11:22am On Sep 25, 2011
Cgem

Bro! are you blind to see where i stated most Alaba igbo boys alone barely read or write in my first statement? who don't know what illiteracy means? did i say it must be in English language alone? man, you really need to visit an optician for some eyes-drop before replying back. When i was in sec sch, many igbo students runaway from igbo language prefer to offer yoruba language just because they find it hard to write test/exam in igbo language not that they're also good in Yoruba but they found yoruba language more preferable while many yoruba students can speak & write better in our language. As a matter of fact the Yoruba class will also be filled up with igbo, edo student etc while you'll only see 5 igbo students sitting for igbo language.

Man, if you can get my point am not saying its by degrees we obtain, but many igbo(s) can't write better in their language even in english smh!, there are alot of them at alaba market alone that i have come across, they can't read or write better all what they chase is paper thru pirated CDs.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 11:27am On Sep 25, 2011
Relax101

Tribalism? you're a big FOOL, check the beginning of this thread to see who raise tribalism issues here first, nit.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by redsun(m): 11:27am On Sep 25, 2011
Just like a nigerian professor who is a dean of faculty of computer science but couldn't operate a mere PC when he was called upon as a witness in court.

Blind education is more like a situation where children are forced to recite the quran without understanding even a single word.A zombie like state.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 25, 2011
lack of education contributes to small-minded tribalist comments being witnessed on this thread. angry

Instead of criticising the elites for deliberately not educating the masses, so they could coninue to loot unchallenged, some here can only make tribal comments - because they are not educated enough to see the bigger picture.

Shine  your eyes well well

The elites from all parts of the Nigeria are educating their children and denying our children education, so that their children could continue abuse our  children in future generations.

This nation needs to wake up sharp sharp and start battling our real enemies.

Babangida  - Head of State (Aug 85 - Aug 93) devalue Naira 2000% (increasing inflation from 3% to 54% ) and started the improvishement of the masses.

Obasanjo devalued Naira by 500%  (during a period of record high oil prices) further impoverishing the nation and making education less affordable for the masses. Obj also looted $100 billion in my estimate and looted Nigeria Airways until it collapsed.

Both Obasanjo and Babangida, and their associates who have mortgated our children's future and looted our wealth, continue to beworshipped today by the uneducated masses because of thier wealth today.

Imagine the shame that a country the size of Nigeria no longer has a national Airline and the masses are too uneducated to realisethat thisis an outrage and even alowed Obasanjo who looted Nigeria Airways until it closed, to serve another term sad

Illitracy  is the worst thing to happen to a nation.

Nigerians when are we going to wake from our coma and throw out these corrup elits?

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 25, 2011
asha 80:

i have been to Omuo in ekiti.visited a friend that was serving there.nothing to really show about everyhousehold having a professor.
Why do you think Ekiti was named the ''Fountain of Education '' and not Abia,Imo,Enugu,Anambra or Ebonyi ?Another assignment for you sir ?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 25, 2011
GenBuhari:

lack of education contributes to small - minded tribalist comments being witnessed on this forum. angry

Instead of criticising the elites deliberately not educating the masses, so they could coninue to loot unchallenged, some here can only make tribal comments, because the are not educated enough to see the bigger picture.

The elites from all parts of the Nigeria are educating their children and preventing your children education, so that their children would continue abuse your  children in future generations.

This nation needs to wake up sharp sharp and start battling your real enemies.

Babangida  - Head of State (Aug 85 - Aug 93) devalue Naira 2000% increasing inflation from 3% to 54% and started the inprovishement of the masses

Obasanjo devalued Naira by 500%  (during a period of record high oil prices) further impoverishing the nation and makin education less affordib;e for the masses.

Both Obasanjo and Babangida, and their associates who have mortgated our children's future and looted our wealth, continue to beworshipped today by the uneducated masses because of thier wealth today.

Imagine the shame that a country the size of Nigeria no longer has a national Airline and the masses are too uneducated to realisethat thisis an outrage and even alowed Obasanjo who looted Nigeria Airways until it closed, to serve another term sad

Nigerians when are we going to wake from our coma and throw out these corrup elits?
trash!!! Reasonable thing will never comes out frm an almajiri even if na prof,Gov,sen etc. SMH
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 25, 2011
GenBuhari:

[s]lack of education contributes to small - minded tribalist comments being witnessed on this forum. angry

Instead of criticising the elites deliberately not educating the masses, so they could coninue to loot unchallenged, some here can only make tribal comments, because the are not educated enough to see the bigger picture.

The elites from all parts of the Nigeria are educating their children and preventing your children education, so that their children would continue abuse your  children in future generations.

This nation needs to wake up sharp sharp and start battling your real enemies.

Babangida  - Head of State (Aug 85 - Aug 93) devalue Naira 2000% increasing inflation from 3% to 54% and started the inprovishement of the masses

Obasanjo devalued Naira by 500%  (during a period of record high oil prices) further impoverishing the nation and makin education less affordib;e for the masses.

[/s]

Go and preach to your fellow Northerners ! Boko haram

(1) (2) (Reply)

Minister Commissions Completed Ibadan-Oyo Section Of Ibadan-Illorin Highway / Timi Frank Accuses INEC Of Inducing Csos With N300m To Rig Elections / Networth Of Nnamdi Kanu Before And After Agitation For Biafra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.