Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement (3470 Views)

Akwa Ibom Appeal Judgement Is A Total Fraud – Femi Falana / APC To Appeal Tribunal’s Judgment On Akwa Ibom Governorship Poll / Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement by Humanbeans(m): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2011
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62213:lagos-to-appeal-judgment-on-lastma&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Lagos To Appeal Judgment On LASTMA
SUNDAY, 25 SEPTEMBER 2011 00:00 BY KAMAL TAYO OROPO NEWS - NATIONAL
THE Lagos State government has said that it will challenge the ruling of a Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday, which voided the power of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to impose fine on traffic offenders.
The presiding judge, Justice Abang, had declared that sections 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional and of no effect, following a suit filed by one Mr. Jonathan Odutola.
Abang held that while LASTMA may arrest traffic offenders, it does not have power to impose fines, adding that only a court of law could do so.
But the Lagos State Attorney General, Mr. Ade Ipaye, reacting to the judgment on Friday, said the state would appeal the ruling.
“We are filing an appeal immediately. Lagos State, Federal Government and other jurisdictions have laws that validly impose fines in the same way as the LASTMA Law, so we are certainly not satisfied with the judgment, Ipaye said.
Re: High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement by russellino: 1:52pm On Sep 25, 2011
I guess lagos state govt doesn't want to part with lastma revenue.its a predatory way to operate. Rather the state legislators can sign traffic fines into law on fixed amounts. Those parking ninjas in london dey catch person well well but they don't just slam any amount on an offender. They should fix set amounts but those lastma guys no go like am
Re: High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement by coolluk(m): 7:49am On Sep 26, 2011
I Can See Lastma officers breathing a sigh of relief.

#Isn't it better to produce a ticketing system as used in the developed countries than trying to give power to some lazy bottom agberoes
Re: High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement by Exponental(m): 7:55am On Sep 26, 2011
"The fear of LASTMA is d continuation of savings".
I think I prefer d judgement.

TRACE of Ogun state seems worse. Imagine a fine of N25k on a driver not using d seatbelt, wen FRSC fines just 3K.

I think all traffic fines shld be reviewed by FRSC, VIO n oda stakeholders, then approved by d senate. Let there be uniformity.
Re: High Court Ruling On LASTMA: Lagos To Appeal Judgement by walcolm(m): 3:58pm On Sep 26, 2011
the major problem is a lack of transparency and that is what has been encouraging corruption in the LASTMA, those guys despite doing a good job of managing traffic in lagos are feeding fat on the ignorance of the public.

i think a way out for lagos state govt is to harmonize with existing traffic fines and make that information very public so that there will be no debate when a LASTMA official tells you the offence, you already know what the fine is and are clear you are not being cheated

like a poster said, an offence that carries a 3000 naira fine will be called 50000 and you will be encouraged to settle with 20000, by the time you negotiate to 10000naira, you have still lost money and they are smiling to themselves

(1) (Reply)

T. Orji For Senate - His Son For Speaker State House Assembly,his Puppet For Gov / Jonathan Didn't Finish His Ph.D Course / The First Woman To Taste… .. Under GMB /GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.