Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,987 members, 7,806,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (155121 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2011
@lax75
It's so obvious that the weave those Yoruba chicks are wearing are fake
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by kony1(m): 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

you are right, the mainstream like Hollywood are controlled by white people, if they show black people at times they have to be mixed like paula patton and Shemar Moore or light skinned like beyonce, especially for the black women. The funny part Black Hollywood is copying that attitude. That's why I don't expect much from Black hollywood or hollywood any more. Even legendary african american actor Harry Belonfonte told african americans in America should stop begging or trying to get acceptance or force hollywood to put people of color in Hollywood because Hollywood would never yield, he said blacks need to start doing their own industries and etc for now on: http://news.yahoo.com/belafonte-hollywood-wont-yield-those-color-015729470.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14175646

Black people love saying this, but im sorry its just not true. Being lightskin in hollywood/meedia is the exception not the rule. The majority of black actors/actress and celebrities in general, are dark or brown skinned. I think you need to look at it again
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Jenifa1: 6:42pm On Sep 25, 2011
I love when black women wear their natural hair. to me it suggests courage and strong self esteem.
but I also do not fault black women who wear weaves. They wear it for a reason. ie to fit in or to attract male attention. whether we like it or not, black guys are more attracted to weaves than to natural hair. unless you are one of the black girls with naturally curly or "good" hair.
lax75 is an anomaly here.

@kony,
being light skinned in hollywood is a rule for females. we are talking about females not males.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2011
@k.o.n.y
I disagree, when I watch all black Hollywood movies the main actress or the woman all the men wants in the movie is always light skinned. I don't see Black women like Genevive Nnaji in Black Hollywood/hollywood( Film folder/section: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButNotTooBlack ), examples:

coming to America
Eddie Murphy who played the african prince Hakeem was running after the light skinned african american women over the beautiful brown skinned african princess(played by african american actress Vanessa bell) they had ready for him to marry. Why is the girl everybody has to get has to be light skinned and the one nobody wants has to be dark skinned, when both women are pretty. To be real IN REALITY the african prince or wealthy african dude would have been satisfied with the brown skinned african princess or african female that was picked for him, and not travel all the way to american to find a female
[img]http://tbeebk.files./2009/11/coming-to-america-wedding_l1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/-_7MhPujdlXA/TfeJHzHdS5I/AAAAAAAABBY/V6ZAgQNqy4I/s400/VanessaBellCalloway-Princess-Small.jpg[/img]

Jumping the Broom
The bride is a light skinned black african american women(the person who actually played the part is Paula Patton who is biracial). Also the issue in a way was brought up in the movie when one of the grooms men who is light skinned insulted one of the bridesmaids because she was dark skinned

Remember the titans

The actress who played the wife of the black coach(played by denzel washington) of the black & white team was a light skinned african american woman and the actress who played the role was actually Nicole Ari Parker who is biracial or mixed race
Nicole Ari Parker
[img]http://1.bp..com/-W64aXbicB0E/TlhKcWloDPI/AAAAAAAACj8/WvPjdfE2pY8/s1600/Nicole-Ari-Parker.jpg[/img]

Single Ladies Show
The characters that play Black women are all played by light skinned women, two are light skinned african american woman(played by Lisa raye & Stacey Dash) and the other one is played by Lauren London who is actually biracial
[img]http://3.bp..com/-bO15LVOkX9s/TjxUsSQpxiI/AAAAAAAAALY/352kkicrryc/s320/single_ladies-show.jpg[/img]

The african american hip-hop industry

most of the time I see mostly light skinned, mixed, latina females with big booties in hip hop videos over brown or dark skinned black american women in these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_Vtp-JzV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZrxXnsMEIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5T8XTvDNWM&feature=related
dark vs. light girls

Any way at least there is presence of them in videos even though they are few now because in England, the black rappers there only show white females in their videos, and a black female of black decent but most likely she is mixed or a eye candy black female
Music folder/Section: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButNotTooBlack

Even in Hollywood movies, if you see a black female play a main role as the "it girl" beside a white male actor, the female is usually light skinned black women, examples

James Bond
Halle Berry(who is also mixed) played the eye candy black female, the first black women along side James bond, before in older James bond movies  black women were always portrayed as ugly and dark skinned

Halle Berry

this is how James bond movies[i](the time before peirce brosnan and Daniel craig took on the role of James Bond, I'm talking about when Sean Conneary was James Bond, the original and first James bond)[/i] portrayed Black women before halle berry appeared in the recent james bond movies. the only Black woman then who appeared in the older james bond movies was a black British actress(Caribbean decent) from England, who was dark skinned and wasn't as attractive and her name was grace Jones
Grace Jones
[img]http://3.bp..com/-HXzd7vqzQXc/TWkK9gIZCjI/AAAAAAAAIGA/FCzixF3GAjY/s1600/33.jpg[/img]
Grace Jones in James Bond movie back in the day

[img]http://eightiesmovies.files./2011/02/viewtoakill.jpg[/img]
http://eightiesmovies./category/james-bond/

BUT we all know that Grace Jones is not the standard of beauty of beauty of dark skinned black women, because dark skinned women are far from that image, examples like Genevieve Nnaji, kenya Moore, Agbani Darego, and etc but thats hollywood for you

Genevieve Nnaji

Kenya Moore
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Jenifa1: 6:47pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous,

don't mind him. lol
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:55pm On Sep 25, 2011
I know Jenifa lol

I agree with you earlier statement because their are black men out there that do like weave over natural black women hair, also it goes beyond attracting men. In the workplace it is either your hair is natural but straighten(either relaxer or hot comb) OR the black woman has[b] weave or wig in the hair [/b]or they won't get hired. Especially in a professional job like a law firm or corporate world. Oprah and Michelle Obama don't wear weaves but they do straighten it either by relaxer or blow dryer because lets be real Oprah and Michelle wouldn't have gotten far with straighten hair
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 6:55pm On Sep 25, 2011
All

I will tell you why I despise weave.

1- It doesn't give black women 100% beauty-bragging rights, since you are loaning features from other races.

2- It suggests that the women who wear them don't feel comfortable with their REAL God-given features. Thereby suggesting that black can't be beautiful when it is 100%.

3- It enriches an industry that isn't black. We are its biggest customers. What a shame. Do you see any of them buying features from black women?

4- I once dated a chick who lived by weave. She shed like a dog. Weave all over my place. Even months later, after I had my carpet professionally cleaned and shampooed, I still find strands of her weave.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 6:58pm On Sep 25, 2011
More of them. The weave warriors.

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2011
@Lax75
All

I will tell you why I despise weave.

1- It doesn't give black women 100% beauty-bragging rights, since you are loaning features from other races.

2- It suggests that the women who wear them don't feel comfortable with their REAL God-given features. Thereby suggesting that black can't be beautiful when it is 100%.

3- It enriches an industry that isn't black. We are its biggest customers. What a shame. Do you see any of them buying features from black women?

4- I once dated a chick who lived by weave. She shed like a dog. Weave all over my place. Even months later, after I had my carpet professionally cleaned and shampooed, I still find strands of her weave.

Lax you have some points here and there, as I said I don't wear weave but not against black women doing it in a minor way but I feel you are right to a extent but some blame does go to black men to, black men particularly ones in the western world need to start appreciating their womens hair and understand black womens hair, so black women can slowly stay away from that, black men especially in the western world(mainly african american men) but it also starts from the home as well

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Jenifa1: 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

I know Jenifa lol

I agree with you earlier statement because their are black men out there that do like weave over natural black women hair, also it goes beyond attracting men. In the workplace it is either your hair is natural but straighten(either relaxer or hot comb) OR the black woman has[b] weave or wig in the hair [/b]or they won't get hired. Especially in a professional job like a law firm or corporate world. Oprah and Michelle Obama don't wear weaves but they do straighten it either by relaxer or blow dryer because lets be real Oprah and Michelle wouldn't have gotten far with straighten hair

I totally agree.
not matter how comfortable one is with her natural hair. she is not a one-man island and there are many external factors that influence her choice besides her own internal confidence and pride. ex. employers, family, men etc opinion matter. Like i said, most women wear weaves to fit in the society. and the societal standards are defined in a large part by our celebrities.
I have seen many women who wear out their natural hair. I admire their confidence and at the same time feel bad for them because I know the rejections they will face by society. esp if their natural hair is very nappy.

same goes with bleaching. it is a horrible thing to do to oneself but the women who do it are not silly or oblivious of the social benefits (in the short term at least lol). It is a fact that men and society in general prefer lighter skin and straighter hair. that is exactly why women do it. It's not a silly reason at all although it has consequences for ones self esteem and health. It's like choosing your poison or the lesser of two evils.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^
@Anonymous

Sister.

I do agree that black men are partly responsible for this. Its not just the western world though. In Nigeria too. Why do you think these chicks in Nigeria are trying to copy (even out-pace) the Sisters in the western world, when it comes to "marrying" weave?

Corporate world in America also takes some blame, as I mentioned earlier. White folks are intimidated by the Sisters who sport their natural look owing to misconceptions they have, that these Sisters would be rebellious in the corporate world.

Personally, I would pick a Sister with braids over one with brazilian, indian, scandanavian weave, anyday. But that's just me. Nothing wrong with a perm, but wearing someone else's hair and expecting to get credit for that is a false sense of beauty IMO.

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 7:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
Jenifa_:

I totally agree.
not matter how comfortable one is with her natural hair. she is not a one-man island and there are many external factors that influence her choice besides her own internal confidence and pride. ex. employers, family, men etc opinion matter. Like i said, most women wear weaves to fit in the society. and the societal standards are defined in a large part by our celebrities.
I have seen many women who wear out their natural hair. I admire their confidence and at the same time feel bad for them because I know the rejections they will face by society. esp if their natural hair is very nappy.

same goes with bleaching. it is a horrible thing to do to oneself but the women who do it are not silly or oblivious of the social benefits (in the short term at least lol). It is a fact that men and society in general prefer lighter skin and straighter hair. that is exactly why women do it. It's not a silly reason at all although it has consequences for ones self esteem and health. It's like choosing your poison or the lesser of two evils.

This is a shame. Don't know about other men, but when I see a hot black woman with some cute braids, I always thank God for creating my race.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Jenifa1: 7:27pm On Sep 25, 2011
Lax75:

This is a shame. Don't know about other men, but when I see a hot black woman with some cute braids, I always thank God for creating my race.

unless those women are mixed or have naturally long, straight hair, those "cute braids" you talk about are made with extensions (fake hair).
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2011
@jenifa
"I have seen many women who wear out their natural hair. I admire their confidence and at the same time feel bad for them because I know the rejections they will face by society. esp if their natural hair is very nappy.

same goes with bleaching. it is a horrible thing to do to oneself but the women who do it are not silly or oblivious of the social benefits (in the short term at least lol)"

It's sad but you are correct. I always promised myself when I have black children, I will teach not only the females but the males about these issue, black kids need to be taught this from a early age or they get affected but at the same time I won't teach my daughters about weave and wigs to be proud of over their hair but how to rock their hair and make it look nice; and I won't allow them to relax their hair until mid or after high school age
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2011
@Lax95
"I do agree that black men are partly responsible for this. Its not just the western world though. In Nigeria too. Why do you think these chicks in Nigeria are trying to copy (even out-pace) the Sisters in the western world, when it comes to "marrying" weave? "

true, I can't disagree with that, weave & wig wearing has spread to all black women all over the world from the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa but it is a way of life in Black american now, at least it's not to that extreme in other parts of the world.

"Corporate world in America also takes some blame, as I mentioned earlier. White folks are intimidated by the Sisters who sport their natural look owing to misconceptions they have, that these Sisters would be rebellious in the corporate world."

I agree that's why many Black women are starting to rebel slowly from this

Personally, I would pick a Sister with braids over one with brazilian, indian, scandanavian weave, anyday. But that's just me. Nothing wrong with a perm, but wearing someone else's hair and expecting to get credit for that is a false sense of beauty IMO.

That's is good of you, any Black woman that is with you would be lucky
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by honeric01(m): 8:02pm On Sep 25, 2011
Love it when its natural, no matter how beautifùl u are in a wig, i wont commend, i notice women with their real hair than them wannabes.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by african1(f): 9:05pm On Sep 25, 2011
beautiful pictures! beautiful girls, Natural all the way.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 10:22pm On Sep 25, 2011
Jenifa_:

unless those women are mixed or have naturally long, straight hair, those "cute braids" you talk about are made with extensions (fake hair).

This is true my Sister. However, braids are still considered a natural "look" on black women. And this is why I also appreciate this. I think its a damn sexy look as a matter of fact.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 10:34pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

@Lax95

That's is good of you, any Black woman that is with you would be lucky

Aww bless! Thanks, Sister. I blush. And us chocolate folks don't usually blush much grin
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by nolongTing: 10:37pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by nolongTing: 10:45pm On Sep 25, 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 10:49pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^

100% Black-Sexy!!! Love it!! Black Queen for real.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by african1(f): 10:52pm On Sep 25, 2011
Lax75:

Aww bless! Thanks, Sister. I blush. And us chocolate folks don't usually blush much grin

My white teacher once told me black people don't blush! lol
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 10:55pm On Sep 25, 2011
african1:

I'm sure she believed we don't play golf either. lol
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by nolongTing: 10:57pm On Sep 25, 2011
Lax75:

^^^^^

100% Black-Sexy!!! Love it!! Black Queen for real.

Just the way I like it grin grin grin grin grin grin

african1:

She ain't lying grin grin grin grin
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by african1(f): 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2011
Lax75:

I'm sure she believed we don't play golf either. lol

I am sure HE did. He wasn't racist, but sometimes he would say weird things.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 11:11pm On Sep 25, 2011
nolongTing:

Just the way I like it grin grin grin grin grin grin

She ain't lying grin grin grin grin

Notice how this thread didn't get much "press." Seems like many Sisters don't play with their weaves. Was looking at the other threads (south eastern and south western beauties), and noticed the majority of them had weaves on. I wasn't really impressed by the southwestern thread though. Seen better beauties than the ones that were posted.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 1:42am On Sep 26, 2011
@nolongthing
beautiful pictures, please post more
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 1:56am On Sep 26, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 1:59am On Sep 26, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 2:00am On Sep 26, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 2:01am On Sep 26, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Gallery Of Beaded Jewellry / Hack - Game Of War Fire Age - GOW Hack MOD Apk Android Tested / Nigerian Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.