Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,830 members, 7,806,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (155112 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 11:56pm On Sep 28, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 12:00am On Sep 29, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by emofine(f): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2011
[center]

[/center]
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by emofine(f): 8:00am On Sep 29, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 29, 2011
^^^ Thanks emofine. I love the afro hair and I looooove braids.

@ anonymous, goodness me! I couldn't recognize Naomi Campbell at all! I'll stay away from weaves/wigs!  shocked

I don't want to dilute your beautiful thread, but if you do a serious analysis of what Africans find attractive, you'll see that it all boils down to Caucasian features. You may want to think it's about skin tone, but it's not. All you need to be is a white girl painted black and you're in!

You can be dark or light, but if you've got that small pointed nose, thin lips, etc. . . . you'll probably be labeled 'gorgeous'. Some light-skinned Africans have, for lack of a better word, very [i]typical [/i]African features and some very dark-skinned people possess what I'd call 'exotic' features. If I had the time, I'd retrieve people's quotes demeaning the 'African' features. It's only on NL where one gets to see statements such as;
- Mercy Johnson is ugly because her nose is too broad and flat - a respectable nairalander once said that MJ's [i]nose [/i]is the reason she's unattractive (not to say that I find her beautiful though; just saying)
- Rita Dominic and Tonto Dike look ugly because of their full lips
- Jackie Appiah has a nose that is too spread across her face - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Genny has a cute little nose, which makes her attractive - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Omotola's curves make her fat and ugly - quoted by many
- Monalisa's face is too wide; she can only be beautiful if she had a thinner face - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Nadia's face is wide; makes her look like a light-skinned gorilla
- Bantu features make Nigerians "ugly"
- If only Oge Okoye's nose was pointed, she'd be prettier
- We even had a Tanzanian girl on another forum who boasted about how people love her pointed nose. . . . . . .
- Gorilla this, chimpanzee that. . . .monkey this, ape that. . . blah blah blah

I could go on and on (perhaps am also subconsciously guilty of this). These are quotes from Nairaland. Anyway, this thread is about hair. I just thought I should chip in because of your debate with KONY on Hollywood celebrities. Even the women he's posted as the ordinary Hollywood girls are white girls painted brown/dark brown. It's not about skin tone; it's about features. Why do you think Gabrielle Union had a nose-job? She dark alright. She's not tampered with her skin tone, but why did she see the need to tamper with her nose? If you can be "comfortable" in your dark skin, then go all the way and be "comfortable" with everything African, including your full lips and wide square face.

The same applies for the Miss World and Miss Universe pageants. If you observe closely, it's all about the promotion of Caucasian features in whatever form - black, brown, white; it doesn't matter. What matters is the promotion of their features and we've fallen for the trap because we're too blinded by light-skinned this, dark-skinned that.

Anyways, my apologies for derailing your thread. Back to hair. I'll see whether I can get Rokiatu's courage and post a nice shot of my big hair! Real thick hair, I put Jill Scott to shame.  tongue
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by zolzlolz(f): 1:11pm On Sep 29, 2011
Naomi has alopecia. surely a weave couldn't have caused THAT much damage?
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by zolzlolz(f): 1:15pm On Sep 29, 2011
Love Kelly Moreira. She is so beautiful. I have never understood why Black women wear weaves. Our hair is so beautiful. We are the only ones on this earth with this type of hair. That is why I don't even like relaxing and hot combing our hair. It damages our hair.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 2:50pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Emofine
Excellent pictures
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 3:01pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Good Girl
[b]"I don't want to dilute your beautiful thread, but if you do a serious analysis of what Africans find attractive, you'll see that it all boils down to Caucasian features. You may want to think it's about skin tone, but it's not. All you need to be is a white girl painted black and you're in!

You can be dark or light, but if you've got that small pointed nose, thin lips, etc. . . . you'll probably be labeled 'gorgeous'. Some light-skinned Africans have, for lack of a better word, very typical African features and some very dark-skinned people possess what I'd call 'exotic' features. If I had the time, I'd retrieve people's quotes demeaning the 'African' features. It's only on NL where one gets to see statements such as;
- Mercy Johnson is ugly because her nose is too broad and flat - a respectable nairalander once said that MJ's nose is the reason she's unattractive (not to say that I find her beautiful though; just saying)
- Rita Dominic and Tonto Dike look ugly because of their full lips
- Jackie Appiah has a nose that is too spread across her face - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Genny has a cute little nose, which makes her attractive - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Omotola's curves make her fat and ugly - quoted by many
- Monalisa's face is too wide; she can only be beautiful if she had a thinner face - quoted by a respectable nairalander
- Nadia's face is wide; makes her look like a light-skinned gorilla
- Bantu features make Nigerians "ugly"
- If only Oge Okoye's nose was pointed, she'd be prettier
- We even had a Tanzanian girl on another forum who boasted about how people love her pointed nose. . . . . . .
- Gorilla this, chimpanzee that. . . .monkey this, ape that. . . blah blah blah"[/b]

I have witnessed some of the things you mentioned about Caucasian features on nairaland but some of the people who have done that were not Nigerian, some were Ethiopian or honers(including east african) or not even african at all. Their was a Ethiopian thread started by this crazy HOA dude bashing black africans with negroid features, even another thread was started by a african american dude called mandigo or whatever his name is:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-296423.0.html
     https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=753816.msg9102030
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-542397.0.html
            https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-399509.0.html

You even need to see what this east african chick said about the pretty dark skinned Ghanian actress in the Ghanian movie "rough riders" on the uploaders comments, calling her a baboon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=led5q_zworo

Lets be real the reason why those two communities make a fuss about it is because they are very colorstruck when it comes to beauty, Horners were exposed to Arabs views of beauty(which is not a benefit to Blacks) and african americans are part of the westernized culture and view of beauty, the only african females, african american men rave is Ethiopian, Eritrean and etc chicks, which I have witnessed them even express this because many horn of african chicks don't have negroid features but the non-negroid features they like: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-311185.0.html
The only problem is horners don't give black american men the time of day or even look their direction, if it's not their men they usually settle for Italian or Arab men

When it comes to the Nollywood actresses I have heard many Nigerian men mention how they like Tonto Dike's lips, Genevieve Nnaji's beauty and Omotola & Mercy Johnson's curvy big booty bodies but I have heard a few criticism about them at the same time, not as strong as their praise's for them though. I have heard some say on nairaland that Genevieve has no booty, Mercy Johnson has a good body but a ugly face and Omotola should lose some weight because of her belly. I never heard of criticism of Oge Okoye, Jackie Appiah, especially Nadia Buari; I actually seen people praise her alot with Monolisa Chinda. To me, I believe those opinions you mentioned though that has been expressed on nairaland is true but at the same time those ones that talk like that from my experience tend to be not interested or proud of being black in the first place or are not african at times or if they are african most of the time they are not Nigerian. You need to see some of the comments they said about women in the "beauty of western Nigerian women thread" even by the OP at one time. The nollywood star I have seen Nigerians at times talk about when it comes to the face vs. body though is Mercy Johnson; they love her body but it tends to be 50/50 with people when it comes to her face with people at times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdMJQqpRfs
Personally I think Mercy Johnson is fine but she is not my favorite actress I prefer Omotola, Dakore, and a few yoruba actresses in the yoruba nollywood industry 100% more

Although I do agree there are elements of these views of africans favoritism for "Caucasian features" because I remember I was reading a debate on Youtube where a Nigerian and Ethiopian were arguing with each other over negroid features in Nollywood movies, the Ethiopian hated negroid features and the Nigerian was defending it(the Nigerian won the fight and the Ethiopian dude disappeared after being made dumb) but I don't think it is the views of the majority or we wouldn't be having Mercy Johnson for example as actresses in Nollywood. I watched a video from Naeto C called "Ringtone" the feature female was a dark skinned black african female(non-Nigerian), she was pretty in her own way, but a few scroll balls started calling her ugly in the video, it was later many defended the girls presence in the video. I Knew that it wasn't her shade but her features that they were criticizing but at the same time I felt if this attitude was strong she wouldn't have been shown in the video in the first place, for her presence to even be in the video shows that africans in general have no issue with negroid features(99% of our videos have women of those features in our video's any way). To make it even better almost all people commenting saw nothing wrong with the female in the video at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_8IjfX5fQ

From my experience though the africans that tend to make a fuss over negroid features tend to be from horn of africa, especially the Ethiopians and Somalian, I don't know what beef they have with Negroid features but majority of the time any time I hear rubbish things about negroid features it's them I tend to notice criticize it followed by a color struck african american dude's like Mandigo. I'm not excusing Nigerians or other africans though because there are few scrool balls in that community that do that to, there was this UK 9ja dude(I think he is igbo) who is called Mr. Cork that thinks only light skinned women are pretty & all dark skinned women and their features are ugly and so on( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-441621.32.html ) to a point he thought it was a fact, I had to correct that nonsense he said
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 29, 2011
I hear you anonymous. This kind of debates will never end anyway, so I'll just leave it at that.

Word of advice though, don't take Mr. Cork too seriously (no offfiense!!).
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Good girl
"Word of advice though, don't take Mr. Cork too seriously (no offfiense!!)."

thanks that dude is weird
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:21pm On Sep 29, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by sara24(f): 3:39am On Sep 30, 2011
I love rocking my natural hair.smiley

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:27am On Sep 30, 2011
@Sara24
pretty pictures
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by african1(f): 7:09am On Sep 30, 2011
@ sara: the third pic scares me, tongue tongue
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:07am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:10am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:14am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:15am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:23am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:24am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:29am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:30am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:31am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:34am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:35am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:36am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:38am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:39am On Sep 30, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 8:41am On Sep 30, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Gallery Of Beaded Jewellry / Hack - Game Of War Fire Age - GOW Hack MOD Apk Android Tested / Nigerian Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.