Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (155054 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
Haaa! Yea love m natural.

Beautiful cool cool
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2011

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 3:37pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

Thanks Rokiatu, I think just it's time we appreciate Black women with their real hair, whether it's virgin hair, straighten, dreads or whatever, it just has to be natural, so if you have pictures you can post them of black women and natural hair

http://fairlyfabulous..com/2009/10/good-hair-individual-and-lifestyle.html
http://theevolvingaries..com/2009/06/beautiful-women-rockin-natural-hair.html
Starting with myself. grin

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2011
cool

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2011
@rokiatu
my hair is like yours, straight & relaxed and up to my upper back now, no weave
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

@rokiatu
Ok, maintain it good.

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by nolongTing: 3:50pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

@rokiatu

Is this thread about Relaxed Hair? natural looking WIGS/WEAVE or just Natural African, wooly, Curly hair? To the best of my knowledge Natural hair is not chemically straightened or a Wig.  wink wink

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 25, 2011
cool

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 25, 2011
cool

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 25, 2011
LOL at Oprah in this photo. grin

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 3:56pm On Sep 25, 2011
Hey Anonymous.

Sister, thanks so much for posting this thread. I am yet to understand how many black women who claim to be "proud of black" invest so much in those nasty accessories called "weaves." I am yet to understand how a black woman can walk around getting "beauty credit" for wearing another woman's hair (of another race, by the way). They might be under the impression that black men prefer that.

Personally, I can't stand weave on black women. I think braids are sexy, but to go all out and invest in weaves, along with fake eyes, says to me that a black woman can't be beautiful until she throws in some "caucasian/oriental/other-race" features.

Shout out to all my Sisters rocking 100% BLACK.

There are brothers, like me, that appreciate you.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 25, 2011
As for me, I have nothing against people who wear wig, extension or whatever you want to call it. To each his own. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2011
@nolongthing
whats up, any way this thread is about black women and their natural black hair, whether they relax it, braid it, put dreads is their prerogative but as long as it's real & natural that's what this thread is about. Also nolongthing Black women don't only straighten their hair with relaxers some do it with hot comb and blow dryer

@Lax75
Thank you very much for the comment, we need black men to be speaking their minds like you did just now, especially in the western world
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2011
@rokiatu
that oprah picture is funny, I saw it on her show when she was showing her real hair, she said she relaxes and wears her real hair most of the time.
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by ijawgirl: 4:14pm On Sep 25, 2011
what her name? shes stunning

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by ijawgirl: 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

@Ijaw girl
her name is[b] Nerissa Irving[/b], she is Jamaican & a model
[img]http://onyxroseonline.files./2011/02/69365_164172933605806_148908161798950_401337_5426086_n2.jpg[/img]
content/uploads/2010/11/40608_108913062500339_107156236009355_80555_7675633_n.jpg[/img]

thanks
shes so into rastafarianism
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2011
Nice!

These Sister definitely represent black to the fullest. Seems like there is this fear of being 100% black especially in the States, where many white people have this false perception of a black woman who wears her hair natural. There are those that carry this misconception that black women who are natural are "too ethnic" and are the "mad angry black woman" type. I personally have experienced this assumption a long time ago when my brother tried to get me into modelling and I took a couple of shots to an agency. They actually said that I am too ethnic-looking and that they were looking for the Shamar Moore type of black man.

Black Women have made a covenant with weaves, and it makes me wonder what many of these Sisters who invest so much on this "accessory" would do without their weaves.

I find it hard to look at one of these weave-marrying Sisters and compliment her saying "I like your hair." I can't for obvious reasons. Would she be offended if I flat out said "I like your weave?"

2 Likes

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2011
@ijaw girl
judging by her look it is obvious, her dreads are very long that I don't know how she handles it
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2011
@lax75

"I personally have experienced this assumption a long time ago when my brother tried to get me into modelling and I took a couple of shots to an agency. They actually said that I am too ethnic-looking and that they were looking for the Shamar Moore type of black man. "

Shemar Moore types, they are jokes. when I think of black men Shemar Moore is not that image I think about in my head. Idris alba, Boris Kidjoe, and etc are the images of Black men that come to my head. I am not against Shemar Moore but he is in a way far from the image of black men

1 Like

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^^ But that goes to show you what the mainstream defines as beautiful/handsome/good looking etc. A black woman/man has to have some caucasian features before they can be seen as beautiful. I think this same mentallity has even brain-washed our own people. Ask yourselves who are the biggest customers of weave?

When that agency told me that, I actually found it funny. Gave up that whole modelling idea a loooong time ago though. It's not for me at all.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2011
you are right, the mainstream like Hollywood are controlled by white people, if they show black people at times they have to be mixed like paula patton and Shemar Moore or light skinned like beyonce, especially for the black women. The funny part Black Hollywood is copying that attitude. That's why I don't expect much from Black hollywood or hollywood any more. Even legendary african american actor Harry Belonfonte told african americans in America should stop begging or trying to get acceptance or force hollywood to put people of color in Hollywood because Hollywood would never yield, he said blacks need to start doing their own industries and etc for now on: http://news.yahoo.com/belafonte-hollywood-wont-yield-those-color-015729470.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14175646

Even in NOLLYWOOD, Although you will see 99% of the time or mostly dark skinned actresses/actors followed by brown skinned actors and actresses with negroid features though(like mercy Johnson, and etc), which I appreciate but at the sametime many actresses in Nollywood are wearing weave now, and some are a mess, that it's ridiculous

It's true though Black women are the biggest consumers of weave worldwide, especially in the western world: http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/international/2010/09/02/mpa.african.hair.industry.cnn

I'm not entirely against weave once and a while but what I am against is black women using it 24/7 and take care of it more then their real hair, they cherish the fake hair over their own and as a result their hair gets damaged, it just doesn't make sense. look at what happens to women who only wear weave and how their hair gets damaged as a result that they can't do with out weave, here is one black women celebrity named Naomi Campbell that is a good example:

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ImDtjXF7-i0/TbI8zUXNBQI/AAAAAAAAASU/D_b17C-tmUM/s1600/bald.jpg[/img]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 6:19pm On Sep 25, 2011
My Sister,

Let's not even get into the weave-marrying chicks in Naij. Them and weave made a covenant to each other even before weave became their soul-mates. Many of them invest way more in their weaves than their bodies (diet and working out). Take a look at pic below. The pic below is what I call TRUE Black beauty. No weave, no fake eyes. Natural and truly proud of BLACK beauty.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by anonymous6(f): 6:23pm On Sep 25, 2011
she is pretty
Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
I'm not entirely against weave once and a while but what I am against is black women using it 24/7 and take care of it more then their real hair, they cherish the fake hair over their own and as a result their hair gets damaged, it just doesn't make sense. look at what happens to women who only wear weave and how their hair gets damaged as a result that they can't do with out weave, here is one black women celebrity named Naomi Campbell that is a good example:
[quote][/quote]
Ouch! Now this is horrible. Take a look at these ones below. These are actually Yoruba chicks. These chicks live and die by weave.  undecided

Re: Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair by Lax75(m): 6:29pm On Sep 25, 2011
anonymous6:

she is pretty

She is. And she actually has a group that focuses on black women sporting their natural hair/look.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Gallery Of Beaded Jewellry / Hack - Game Of War Fire Age - GOW Hack MOD Apk Android Tested / Nigerian Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.