Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (222692 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2011
Thanks man. At this level, why would one not.

Even Shell, I've had a shot and that one was very close. I scaled all stages to SRD. Shell had sent me hotel room I will stay in Warri with the invitation for SRD, but due to some inexplicable circumstances, I didn't show up. That was how I lost it. Two of of my other friends that got to that last stage too, one made it and still with them(now in Norway) and the other didn't, but I didn't go at all. That was mid-2008.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by gokuu(m): 9:12am On Dec 12, 2011
Abeg o, I'm in UNILAG Accounting and also on the Total E&P tertiary scholarship scheme, i hope all these 'goodies' are not for engineers alone o
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2011
gokuu:

Abeg o, I'm in UNILAG Accounting and also on the Total E&P tertiary scholarship scheme, i hope all these 'goodies' are not for engineers alone o

Good one! Do your best to maintain that high GPA. In fact, try to make it higher than that of Usman(Shell) or Gijan(IB) or Tosin(ZN) or Collins(Chevron) (ask your professors about these dudes). A good GPA will give you the ticket to compete with other smart people; there are very many smart people around these days.

And you know what, you may succeed in the competition and land yourself a 1 milla naira per month job with Total!

Good luck,
T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 13, 2011
Hmmmmmm
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 11:35am On Dec 13, 2011
Total does pay well. I however believe that the remuneration packages been outlined in this thread are inflated. We need concrete evidence. Which rubbish 11M? or is it 17M? for entry level or individuals with less than 5 years exp.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2011
Shola2009:

Total does pay well. I however believe that the remuneration packages been outlined in this thread are inflated. We need concrete evidence. Which rubbish 11M? or is it 17M? for entry level or individuals with less than 5 years exp.

So, what led to your belief? If you are a staff of Total, then I think you must surely know what you are saying. In that case, you should kindly correct the misleading posts made by earlier posters so that we all can learn from you. This 11 milla naira thingy is really very annoying and almost impossible to believe, but it was strangely confirmed by earlier posters who demonstrated some knowledge of the company.

If Shell could pay entry level peeps 6.8 milla per annum in 2008 and Total currently pays wayyy more than Shell, then my small logic leads me to conclude that the actual remuneration for entry level peeps at Total should not be too far from the quoted 11milla. A friend's friend recently 'ran away' from Shell to Total. The reason he gave was better pay!

In my humble view, a statement can only be rubbish if someone else can say it in a much much better way or, better still, provide a nice proof that the statement is indeed rubbish.

Thank you as you enlighten us.

Truly,
T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 4:22pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^ its pretty simple actually. As a business man,what on earth would make me pay almost twice what my competitors pay to individuals with the same job description and level of experience. 6.8M against 11M. ?? ahn ahn! for what? a private organization at that,where the sole purpose is profit maximization. Impossible. The packages are grossly inflated.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^^^
Your logic is wrong.
Total can not be less than 11m. In fact, I have a colleague's classmate that got job with Total as an Accountant early this year and he confirmed 11m to me, but being from a 3rd party, I just didn't want to quote it before.

My close friend got a job with Shell in 2008 the same period I got where I am now. Shell was 6.8m then. Only an ignorant person will think it will still be 6.8m today. Shell cannot be south of 8m today(I will call a friend there to confirm the actual within the next couple of hours).  He also confirmed to me that Total snatches their staff because of better pay. And here you are saying Total cannot be up to 11m.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 9:19am On Dec 14, 2011
^^I see your point. i am still not totally convinced though.

Does your friend have an MSc. with hardly any work experience? 11M for entry level ?? what kind of profit are they making from our country that enables them to be able to path ways with such amounts? It's not like total has monopolized our oil and gas industry. if entry level staffs are pocketing 11M then how much are the top dogs with 20 to 30 years exp. pocketing? Besides, people'll move work places for an extra 100k a year! not even a month. so i don't think its safe to conclude that professionals are now migrating to Total because they're being offered "armed robber" salary, when compared to what they were previously earning.

So do call your friend,and lets know how it goes.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 12:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
Shola2009:

^^I see your point. i am still not totally convinced though.

Does your friend have an MSc. with hardly any work experience? 11M for entry level ?? what kind of profit are they making from our country that enables them to be able to path ways with such amounts? It's not like total has monopolized our oil and gas industry.  if entry level staffs are pocketing 11M then how much are the top dogs with 20 to 30 years exp. pocketing? Besides, people'll move work places for an extra 100k a year! not even a month. so i don't think its safe to conclude that professionals are now migrating to Total because they're being offered "armed robber" salary, when compared to what they were previously earning.

So do call your friend,and lets know how it goes.

Bros,
Total does pay that much, for real.
Shell most likely pays the least at entry level, alongside NNPC and LNG. Their salaries are benchmarked with salaries paid in their Opcos across the globe, so the entry level in Nigeria usually seems extraordinary. One thing though, you are looking at 11m net; it may end up being the aggregation of a mix of monetized and non-monetized benefits. The 11m is typically a GTCE concept (guaranteed total cost of employment). You might not get more than 450k net salary a month.

Ironically, the 20-30 years of experience doesn't result in some kind of geometric salary progression. You might find that a 20-year professional in total doesn't get more than 22m.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TheOne2(m): 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2011
@shola2009

I'll reiterate again!! Everything that I've posted here is exactly as it is. Siddon there make wrapper dey tie you.

Let me use myself as an example, I have somewhere between 4 - 6 years experience and my monthly BASIC salary is over a million naira. Now there are other allowances paid at different months in the year that for this year has totalled about 12 million naira for me. Asides these there are cycle payments, every four years for stuff like furniture, generator, car grant etc that I've not included. YOU GET ALL THESE IN HARD CASH (minus State Govt Tax). And don't let's talk abt the % payrise you get evry year. So guy, I know you are unable to wrap your mind around it (as in how can people in that bush called Naija be earning that kind of money), but Total pay for entry level (CASH BEFORE TAX - no non-monetized benefits) is very much above 15 million naira.

N.B. I don't work for Total.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2011
The One:

@shola2009

I'll reiterate again!! Everything that I've posted here is exactly as it is. Siddon there make wrapper dey tie you.

Let me use myself as an example, I have somewhere between 4 - 6 years experience and my monthly BASIC salary is over a million naira. Now there are other allowances paid at different months in the year that for this year has totalled about 12 million naira for me. Asides these there are cycle payments, every four years for stuff like furniture, generator, car grant etc that I've not included. YOU GET ALL THESE IN HARD CASH (minus State Govt Tax). And don't let's talk abt the % payrise you get evry year. So guy, I know you are unable to wrap your mind around it (as in how can people in that bush called Naija be earning that kind of money), but Total pay for entry level (CASH BEFORE TAX - no non-monetized benefits) is very much above 15 million naira.

This is exactly the angle that people are looking at it from. That bush Naija. hahahahaha. Let them siddon look while people are earning the millas. I know it is very hard for them to believe, but that is the fact.

Total---oyinbo go call am Totol---here I come. hahahaha. Millions no go pass me by. hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahah cheesy

Olorun, Chineke, Osenoblua, God help me!!!!! Moneyyy

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2011
I don't want my response to be length,hence the reason for not quoting anyone.
@Ajanlekoko,I believe your're one of the few people that has summed up the situation correctly.The "11M" (lol. . i'm still waiting for oga jarus and his insider info.) is definitely compossed of  monetized and non-monetized benefits before tax!  would you pay such ridiculous amount even if you  could? The sole aim is profit maximization.Especially in this economic climate. There's no such thing as having too much money,so management can't say we have enough cash so we should over-pay.They'll rather pocket it than over pay.it's absurd and that's not how business is done.

@The One,what industry do you operate in? is the organization you work for regarded as one of the top payers in the industry? or is the 12M you earn as allowance a "normal thing" for professionals within the industry? of course. . . with the same level of experience and professional qualification you possess.Also. . .i'm Naija born and raised  and i also aware of how the system work.The whole dstv+phcn+internet+driver+gateman+gardner etc allowance professionals receive here. But that again, is not for entry level.

@T22,i wouldn't classify myself as a "doubting Thomas", i'm just trying to figure this whole entry "level individuals collecting armed robber salaries" situation.I just like you,would relish the prospect of pocketing 11M immediately after grad. school.But it seems unrealistic and i no fit dey jonz myself and claim that its not.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by dayokanu(m): 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
Shola2009:

^^ its pretty simple actually. As a business man,what on earth would make me pay almost twice what my competitors pay to individuals with the same job description and level of experience. 6.8M against 11M. ?? ahn ahn! for what? a private organization at that,where the sole purpose is profit maximization. Impossible. The packages are grossly inflated.

Wrong logic.

Around 2005 when I was in the Nigerian job market, The starting Salaries of Banks like First bank, Wema Bank etc was around 50-60k a month

While the starting Salary of some Banks like ETB, Diamond etc was like 150k

Is that not more than double? Dont they have the same profit maximisation goal? Are they not competitors? Are they not within the same economy?

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TheOne2(m): 7:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
I work for a direct competitor to Total.

What's so unbelievable abt the figures. You seem to have closed your mind to the possibility and that my friend, I cannot help you with.

Shell is not a competitor to Total paywise, Exxon and Chevron are. Shell had a period when their operations were really affected and it reflected on their pay. Coupled with the fact that PENGASSAN is now very weak there.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Felibaby(f): 11:04am On Dec 15, 2011
The One:

@shola2009

The one,

Are you sure you dont work for Total? You know too much to be an outsider.

I work for Total and he got everything he said down to a Tee. The pay is much the same for Engineers and Non-Engineers, what makes the difference is the offshore allowance for people who work on the field.
I really could not comprehend the salary initially because i never believed a company can pay that much.
But then, like we use to say among my friends, it is a sin not to work in an oil company. cheesy
Good luck to everyone trying.

7 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:40pm On Dec 15, 2011
Felib[b]aby [/b]:

The one,

Are you sure you dont work for Total? You know too much to be an outsider.

I work for Total and he got everything he said down to a Tee. The pay is much the same for Engineers and Non-Engineers, what makes the difference is the offshore allowance for people who work on the field.
I really could not comprehend the salary initially because i never believed a company can pay that much.
But then, like we use to say among my friends, it is a sin not to work in an oil company. cheesy
Good luck to everyone trying.

Yeepa, a sister, I guess, you have finished me oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. What other confirmation do we need ooooooooooooooooooo. Yeeeeeeee, this is the 4th person wey dey confirm ooooooooooooooo. 11-17 millaaalalala yee. yeah see me dey mix all languages together, Yeeeeeepapapapap TotalllllllllllllTOOOOOOOOOOOOOtttttttttttallll yeeeeeeeeee.

On a more serious note, Total is one of the best places to be. Considering this kinda salary, I don't think many people working as entry level staff in the best of companies in the West earn or command such. I mean, JP Morgan UK pays just 38000 pounds per annum to entry level dudes. RBS currently pays the highest. However, they pay a maximum of 45K Pounds and this money includes every bonus. Others pay less this level, do your research to confirm.

I mean, why did a number of Naijans decide to go and study abroad? No be for better pay or opportunities? Don't we have schools in Niaja?

I thank you all for exposing me or us to this opportunity. My guy with zero abroad qualification is really having a field day with Total. What I went abroad to purshuu, he got that same thing in Nigeria and even sef with just a good XYZ. hahaha. The guy knows how to pass ability tests sha. He also knows how to interview wella. In my opinion, these are skills that beat excellent grades any time. I cannot begin to count former excellent colleagues who lack high level test taking skills or oratory skills or both. They are many in the money houses we call banks in Nigeria earning less than 120k per month and smiling cheesy wink

May God helps us, Amen.

Truly true,
T22

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 2:58pm On Dec 15, 2011
Ok . . .felibaby,an insider,has confirmed the whole armed robber salary package.That's all i wanted.
Now,is this 11M a regular take home pay? or an addition of a couple of cycle payments? e.g like furniture allowance,car allowance etc.

And what do BSc holders with 0-12 months experience receive? is there a preference for foreign trained grad like most MNCs? and do all entry level employees receive the same remuneration e.g those with 1st class, 2:1 e.t.c.

Also,what industry can rival the oil and gas industry,in terms of employee compensation?

Thanks in advance guys.We're all just trying to learn here.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by chamber2(m): 3:21pm On Dec 15, 2011
^^^^

just pass aptitude test, interview and then hammer grin grin

This yeye abroad study sef na mixed feelings oh.

I missed an opportunity to be in chevron just because i wanted to get abroad cert. Now see what boyz are doing.

But God dey.

The interesting thing is that he said both engr and non engr earn the same thing, except offshore thingy. Wetin concern me with offshore.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2011
chamber2:

^^^^

I missed an opportunity to be in chevron just because i wanted to get abroad cert. Now see what boyz are doing.

But God dey.

The interesting thing is that he said both engr and non engr earn the same thing, except offshore thingy. Wetin concern me with offshore.

Mhen, I read that too O. This is not a funny matter at all. And the 'annoying' thing is that the money looks and sounds very typical to them. hahahah

When you stay with kings, you will soon start exuding the traits of kings.

Turn by turn, small small, person foot will enter.

Na God!

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Ogundan: 6:53am On Dec 16, 2011
What is MNCs
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by mygucci(m): 8:38am On Dec 16, 2011
MNC means Multi National Company
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:25am On Dec 16, 2011
See awon ole grin

Honestly sha, those oil and gas MNCs can make somebody's resolve shake sha embarassed
At least I console myself that I am connected to them by marriage grin Not that I haven't done badly by going in another direction sha. Thank Jah for everything tongue
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Shola2009(m): 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2011
chamber2:

^^^^

But God dey.

That's serious oo. . .

But come will the person that pays GBP 20K for MSc and the person that pays N400k for Msc earn the same at entry level? Because i read ealier,that no two individuals earn the same salary.

Also posters have been neglecting my earlier question . . .

Also,what industry can rival the oil and gas industry,in terms of employee compensation?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 12:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
Shola2009:

That's serious oo. . .

But come will the person that pays GBP 20K for MSc and the person that pays N400k for Msc earn the same at entry level? Because i read ealier,that no two individuals earn the same salary.

Yes, if they are on the same job group.
Though you can't say foreign degree doesn't play a role. Total I know organizes specific recruitment for Nigerian graduates of foreign universities. Careers In Africa and all that.

Most of the guys who did not go to school abroad probably don't have masters degrees. They most likely entered with their Bsc. The 1st class and 2:1 grads who pass through the aptitude tests.

Shola2009:

You're seriously asking that, in a country where oil is 97% of GDP?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
For entry level, I don't think there is any, but as career progresses it may converge to same thing across top industries.

I know someone that joined a the old IBTC in 1998 for NYSC and today, 13 years after, he is better off in terms of everything(including exposure and even pay) than most of his friends that joined oil companies, including MNCs then. He is now a GM in the enlarged StanbicIBTC Group and CEO of one of their subsidiaries, while the friends are just low to middle level managers in the IOCs.

One lesson I learn from this person's case is: you actually don't need to work in oil industry before making big bucks.
Another thing I have observed is that, most young guys that start from those high-paying IOCs tend to be extravagant and live very large, without saving! Except very few of them. So it may come down to little difference at the end of the day.

7 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:35pm On Dec 16, 2011
Jarus:

For entry level, I don't think there is any, but as career progresses it may converge to same thing across top industries.

I know someone that joined a the old IBTC in 1998 for NYSC and today, 13 years after, he is better off in terms of everything(including exposure and even pay) than most of his friends that joined oil companies, including MNCs then. He is now a GM in the enlarged StanbicIBTC Group and CEO of one of their subsidiaries, while the friends are just low to middle level managers in the IOCs.

One lesson I learn from this person's case is: you actually don't need to work in oil industry before making big bucks.
Another thing I have observed is that, most young guys that start from those high-paying IOCs tend to be extravagant and live very large, without saving! Except very few of them. So it may come down to little difference at the end of the day.

You are so on point on the highlighted. You would hear some of them say `T22, my account is in red´, especially the Shell workers amongst them.

@Stanbic IBTC Group.
This means that there is still hope for aspiring investment bankers looking to join an IB in Naija. By the way, do you have a rough idea of the pay attached to the position of head of research at CIB-Stanbic IBTC Group?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 1:50pm On Dec 16, 2011
Money this Money that angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
How about making a damn difference?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
jay bee:

Money this Money that  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
How about making a damn difference?

With big money, I can start giving scholarships to those very smart but unfortunate kids like the ones I came across at one of those forsaken villages during my NYSC some years back. I can particularly recall one of them who showed so much promise that, till today, I am still regretting that I could not bring him to stay with my momsi and popsi in Lagos, register him in a better school and generally make him a better person. That boy was a super kid, with talents that surpassed those of many smart kids in the cities. I hope God will forgive me.

With big money, big difference can be made.

Thanks.

T22.

4 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 3:45pm On Dec 16, 2011
tanimola22:

With big money, I can start giving scholarships to those very smart but unfortunate kids like the ones I came across at one of those forsaken villages during my NYSC some years back. I can particularly recall one of them who showed so much promise that, till today, I am still regretting that I could not bring him to stay with my momsi and popsi Lagos, register him in a better school and generally make him a better person. That boy was a super kid, with talents that surpassed those of many smart kids in the cities. I hope God will forgive me.

With big money, big difference can be made.

Thanks.

T22.
Surely you don't need big money to do most of the things you've outlined in your post.
What guarantees you had even touch any once the big money arrives? Isn't it the same way politicians go about promising this and that before they win election?

The point is worry less about money as a graduate. Hard work usually pays in the end
Graduates should worry more about getting good quality experience rather than the salary they stand to gain.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 16, 2011
The point is worry less about money as a graduate. Hard work usually pays in the end
Graduates should worry more about getting good quality experience rather than the salary they stand to gain
I very much agree with jay bee. With honesty, diligence and hard work at the early stages of your career, you will always end up with money irrespective of where you start. Truth is, these extermely paying coys have space for no more 5% of grads for entry level.

I can start giving scholarships to those very smart but unfortunate kids like the ones I came across at one of those forsaken villages during my NYSC some years back. I can particularly recall one of them who showed so much promise that, till today, I am still regretting that I could not bring him to stay with my momsi and popsi in Lagos, register him in a better school and generally make him a better person. That boy was a super kid, with talents that surpassed those of many smart kids in the cities. I hope God will forgive me.
Oh, tears!!! This reminds me of Abubakar, one very brilliant small kid in Balle, a village in Sokoto state, few miles away from Niger republic. As his teacher during my NYSC, I was so impressed with that young boy in that village that I wrote a letter to his parent to please ensure they take him to a good secondary in Sokoto township when he completes his primary education and ensures he goes ahead to obtain university. I recommended ABU to them. The boy was very promising.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.