Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,190 members, 7,807,643 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry (8717 Views)

Poll: Should Govt intervene and ban cultural practices like Oro?

Yes: 30% (3 votes)
No: 70% (7 votes)
Only if the practice becomes fatal: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry by ghostofsparta(m): 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2012
aloy/emeka:

Do you have proof that Oduduwa fell from heaven?  undecided undecided undecided

Heaven isn't a Yoruba concept nor word, Oduduwa is exclusive to the Yoruba people, It's preposterous to use foreign language to define or qualify certain Yoruba words just as you can simply use 'energy of life' to define the Chinese concept og 'chi', its deeper than that. Oduduwa never fell from the Semitic Jewish Abrahamic Christian Judawo word called 'heaven'. 'Oduwa ate won ro', Oduwa, it that descended with a chain. (succinct), from where, consult IFA. Aloy/Emeka you don't know anything apart from the rubbish you heard from those who love to trivialize anything that has to do with Yoruba cosmogony. If you really want to know, you have to sieve truths and fact from lies and popular beliefs, pay a visit to a GENUINE babalawo and inquire
Re: Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
aloy emeka only knows how to walk blindfolded in his fake christian illiteracy.
Re: Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry by chyed: 4:29am On Feb 24, 2012
You should not mind those fools that think that Christianity or Islam is the real religion. Most of them like Aloy/Emeka is already deluded from thinking rationally. While I do not support killing of people due to any festival, I think female circumcision is a global custom and not restricted to Africa only.

Some people always take whatever a white man says as the ultimate way of life. Have your own Ideology ever be taken into consideration?
Re: Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry by SAMBARRY: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2016
PAGAN9JA:
killing of twins is a myth spread by christian missionaries about Yoruba peoples because the Yorubas were well-known to hold their twins in high-esteem and also pamper them to a large extent. I even explained this whole issue in a thread.

and core mutilation has nothing to do with tribal religions. in fact, the muslims started all this circumcision practices which spread on to other communities.

as for Oro festival, it dont cause harm to anybody. angry angry angry angry

and i don think i need to relate the history of the spread of christianity to you. we all know what you peaceful and loving people have done in the past in order to gain converts. angry tongue
the noise they make is nauseating. Someone can't have a sound peaceful sleep at night? You people should stop all this balderdash. If you want to practice your tradition go to a hall or confines of your room.it's an infringement of my constitutional right to restrict movement. Moreso no tradition supersedes constitution no matter how old the tradition is.

Secondly how about a situation where a woman is in Labour and have to be rushed to the hospital at night or a female doctor was called from the hospital to attend to an emmergency? undecided

This is 2016 move with the times. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

8. Odu Okanran Meji- Be Ready To Take Up Challenges. / 15 Odu Ose Meji- You Are A Conqueror! / Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.