Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,502 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:41 PM

did you ever read that User manual ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / did you ever read that User manual ? (6162 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg's Epic Response To Darlene Loretto, A Facebook User / Mtn, Glo, Airtel, Etisalat Manual And Automatic Internet Settings / Help With Sprint Htc Ppc 6800 User Manual (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 10:40am On Sep 28, 2011
Since my childhood, I have noticed that many Nigerians are too arrogant to read the user manual that comes with any appliance they buy. This of course leads to them using these devices wrongly. A classic example is people putting their mouths close to the earpiece of their mobile phones to have the person they are talking to hear them better. The irony is: the microphone is actually at the bottom of the phone and not at the top.

Nigerians let us change our ways; you buy an appliance, sit down and read its user manual for proper usage, safety and dareIsay our national image. A foreigner that sees this will be having fits-of-laughter at our ignorance. Don't doubt it- they do (I know this for a fact).
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Dabss(m): 6:29pm On Sep 28, 2011
Yeazur!!!!
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by automech: 9:08pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Since my childhood, I have noticed that many Nigerians are too arrogant to read the user manual that comes with any appliance they buy. This of course leads to them using these devices wrongly. A classic example is people putting their mouths close to the earpiece of their mobile phones to have the person they are talking to hear them better. The irony is: the microphone is actually at the bottom of the phone and not at the top.

Nigerians let us change our ways; you buy an appliance, sit down and read its user manual for proper usage, safety and dareIsay our national image. A foreigner that sees this will be having fits-of-laughter at our ignorance. Don't doubt it- they do (I know this for a fact).

Hmmm!. . .can user manual really solve dis?
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by sammy6(m): 8:53am On Sep 30, 2011
They said if you want to hide anything from a black Nigerian, Put it in a book. Reading is really not our thing and besides most manual are too bulky
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by WaltherPPK: 8:57am On Sep 30, 2011
Because they are very smart.They can figure out how to operate any gadget without the manual.Take it or leave it.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by stepo707: 9:04am On Sep 30, 2011
WaltherPPK:

Because they are very smart.They can figure out how to operate any gadget without the manual.Take it or leave it.

Gbam!
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Golfer: 9:24am On Sep 30, 2011
This does not apply to Nigerians alone, but mainly men.

We men always believe that we know how it works.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 9:29am On Sep 30, 2011
WaltherPPK:

Typical arrogance that holds us back from learning. If people read the manual they wouldn't be putting their mouths on the speaker of their mobile phones in a bid to amplify their voices.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by ITbomb(m): 9:38am On Sep 30, 2011
Because most of them are written in Chinko with terrible translations
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by MrCork17: 9:47am On Sep 30, 2011
its becoz they beleaf in Witchcraff. dont they undecided
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by yusuf2(m): 9:56am On Sep 30, 2011
@ op, funny observation indeed, sometime, it's when the appliance has damaged or developed a fault that some people remember it came with a manual, grin
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2011
yusuf_@:

@ op, funny observation indeed, sometime, it's when the appliance has damaged or developed a fault that some people remember it came with a manual,  grin

Actually, most throw-away the manual with the packaging to show their neighbours that levels don change
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 30, 2011
I would not call that arrogance. that's a bit too harsh! This is no excuse but sometimes people get overly excited about their new appliance/gadget that they just think they can work the thing on their own without consulting their manuals. Often times, they go back to these manuals which they initially ignored when the appliance has developed a problem of some sort. If they are not able to fix the problem at this point they blame it on the manufacturer.

We really need to imbibe a reading culture in Nigeria as most people are seriously lacking in this area and this no-need-to-read-the-manual norm could be attributed to that.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Maximip(m): 10:12am On Sep 30, 2011
@OP

Bros, take it easy on we Nigerians now. I've seen foreigners do this too.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 30, 2011
^^ Very true. It is not a trait peculiar to Nigerians alone. A lot of people here do the same, nonetheless, this trait is rather dominant in Nigeria.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by damola1: 10:18am On Sep 30, 2011
naijasexy:

I would not call that arrogance. that's a bit too harsh! This is no excuse but sometimes people get overly excited about their new appliance/gadget that they just think they can work the thing on their own without consulting their manuals. Often times, they go back to these manuals which they initially ignored when the appliance has developed a problem of some sort. If they are not able to fix the problem at this point they blame it on the manufacturer.

We really need to imbibe a reading culture in Nigeria as most people are seriously lacking in this area and this no-need-to-read-the-manual norm could be attributed to that.

You got it, It's usually out of excitement, not necessarily arrogance, Come on men!, read manual for a new laptop you have been dreaming for months, or a car!!!, na after you done use am for sometime, u fit siddon, at this time, no way!, make we check am out first!
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Tedyk(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2011
Confirm
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Tedyk(m): 10:33am On Sep 30, 2011
Confirm
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by yusuf2(m): 10:36am On Sep 30, 2011
another instance is when some people buy a new laptop or desktop ps, they throw the manuals, the Operating system and device driver cd's away, then when they have a problem with d pc, they start to look for computer technician/engineer to help them solve a problem that they wld have ordinarily solved themselves with the cd's that came with it. now, some pc manufacturers these days tend to put the cd images in a dedicated portion of the hard disk for easy system recovery, BUT TRUST SOME STUBBORN PEOPLE TO FIND A WAY TO DELETE THAT ONE TOO  undecided
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 10:38am On Sep 30, 2011
damola1:

You got it,  It's usually out of excitement, not necessarily arrogance,  Come on men!,  read manual for a new laptop you have been dreaming for months, or a car!!!,  na after you done use am for sometime, u fit siddon, at this time,  no way!,  make we check am out first!

The irony therein is that your user experience is limited if you do not learn how to use it first.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by KokoBeware: 10:38am On Sep 30, 2011
weytin be your beef with Nigerians OP     it is not only Nigerians that do it--- its only "only dumb, slow, or overcautious people"--and my MUM-- that will buy a TV and go through a 40page manual before he puts in ON----

on the contrary for some high tech stuff, Nigerians really go through manuals because thats when they need it.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Sike(m): 10:43am On Sep 30, 2011
We'd never read our own manual finish, before jumping to one appliances??
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Johnbosco7: 10:50am On Sep 30, 2011
True talk brother. It irritate me too. imagine a friend of mine who can read and write always come to me for help in resolving some settings problem with his phone. I got angry one day and told him to go and read the manual that came with the phone and stop disturbing my peace. I think Nigerians should try and developed the happy of reading because if you read wide there is no problem that you cannot solve yourself.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by dagboss(m): 10:53am On Sep 30, 2011
Posted by: $ammy

They said if you want to hide anything from a black Nigerian, Put it in a book. Reading is really not our thing and besides most manual are too bulky Funny one there Bross

That is where i am different, there is nothing on earth i buy that has a handbook no matter how small i must read it before operating the device. That is why i don not like Tokunbo vehicles that did not come with handbooks
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 30, 2011
Comrade Maclatunji's dead right.

I find the same goes with car Owner's Manuals. I get a heck of a lot of emails from Nigerians, asking me questions about their cars that are so obvious, if the manuals are read. How could any literate person be asking me what the "L" position on their automatic transmission means? Or what the ABS light on their dash means? Worse, what does ABS actually do?

When I tell them to read the manual, a lot just say "if you can't help me, forget it, the manual is too stressful." Some will get abusive and defensive, some will say they chucked the manual in the trash, when they were removing the protective plastic covers on the seats / floor. That is shameful. I wouldn't call it arrogance, I would say it's more down to laziness. A lot of Nigerians only read, when there's no other choice, like for an exam / test. Anything longer that 4 lines gets a response "dis one na essay, e too long, I no finish am." One only has to read responses to threads on Nairaland, even if it's broken down into clear, concise paragraphs, they give up a quarter of the way through.

We need to imbibe the culture of reading, and not waiting to be spoon fed. The refusal to carry out research (which involves reading) is one of the reasons Nigerians get ripped off, by middlemen "selling" them information which is freely available at the click of a mouse. A quick sift through the Travel section will reveal this, whereby Nigerians are duped almost daily by visa "agents", because they refuse to read. Same goes for those posting requests for "flights to the US at a good price." They fully expect someone else to Google, and supply them the info, because they're too lazy to do things themselves.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 30, 2011
KokoBeware:

weytin be your beef with Nigerians OP     it is not only Nigerians that do it--- its only "only dumb, slow, or overcautious people"--and my MUM-- that will buy a TV and go through a 40page manual before he puts in ON----

on the contrary for some high tech stuff, Nigerians really go through manuals because thats when they need it.

Comrade, it's not beef, it's a fact.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by ShyOne(f): 11:10am On Sep 30, 2011
Siena:

Comrade Maclatunji's dead right.

I find the same goes with car Owner's Manuals. I get a heck of a lot of emails from Nigerians, asking me questions about their cars that are so obvious, if the manuals are read. How could any literate person be asking me what the "L" position on their automatic transmission means? Or what the ABS light on their dash means? Worse, what does ABS actually do?

When I tell them to read the manual, a lot just say "if you can't help me, forget it, the manual is too stressful." Some will get abusive and defensive, some will say they chucked the manual in the trash, when they were removing the protective plastic covers on the seats / floor. That is shameful. I wouldn't call it arrogance, I would say it's more down to laziness. A lot of Nigerians only read, when there's no other choice, like for an exam / test. Anything longer that 4 lines gets a response "dis one na essay, e too long, I no finish am." One only has to read responses to threads on Nairaland, even if it's broken down into clear, concise paragraphs, they give up a quarter of the way through.

We need to imbibe the culture of reading, and not waiting to be spoon fed. The refusal to carry out research (which involves reading) is one of the reasons Nigerians get ripped off, by middlemen "selling" them information which is freely available at the click of a mouse. A quick sift through the Travel section will reveal this, whereby Nigerians are duped almost daily by visa "agents", because they refuse to read. Same goes for those posting requests for "flights to the US at a good price." They fully expect someone else to Google, and supply them the info, because they're too lazy to do things themselves.

I am finding this to be true as well.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by jarkbauer: 11:31am On Sep 30, 2011
I am an American and i dont do either
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 11:42am On Sep 30, 2011
jarkbauer:

I am an American and i dont do either

I am not implying that it is only Nigerians that do this. However, the prevalence of such behaviour is rather appalling in Nigeria.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 30, 2011
Read manual say who die, am I mad? I only read manual when I have to perform complex operation with the device like timing it to come on at a particular time, cooking food at a particular temp there after keepin it warm and most nigerians are usually ok with basic operation of their gadget.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 30, 2011
Golfer:

This does not apply to Nigerians alone, but mainly men.

We men always believe that we know how it works.

Did you have a deep thought before saying "WE MEN"
Next time think before opening your guts
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
blink182:

Read manual say who die, am I mad? I only read manual when I have to perform complex operation with the device like timing it to come on at a particular time, cooking food at a particular temp there after keepin it warm and most nigerians are usually ok with basic operation of their gadget.

Sadly, this is the very attitude that afflicts a lot of Nigerians. And this is where it would be seen more as arrogance, than anything else.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Anyone Notice The Increase In Mtn Speed / Tecno Shuts Down Computer Village / In Response To Gionee Phones with 4G LTE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.