Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! (128237 Views)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Art And Architecture Of The Igbo People / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 12:46am On Nov 28, 2011
Malstrom:

I know twins are venerated in Many African cultures!!! grin The Ganda people in Uganda for example its a great pride for the family and especially the mother. In traditional communities she will be treated like a queen by the other women, they'll really treat her with respect. On top of that all the family members get new names and there are certain names for a mother of twins, a brother of twins, a father of twins and so on. And the twins will get special names too of course,

do you have any academic links i can check out?

thanks wink

Malstrom:

If you meen veneration like towards icons I dont know

yes, i mean venerated.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Malstrom(m): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2011
U might find if you search on the web but I do unfortunately not have any academic links. I was taught those things by Ugandans telling me things about their culture when the subject "twins" came up at one time. smiley
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Malstrom(m): 6:35pm On Nov 28, 2011
I found an article describing what I meant with the names, I do not recognice the rest tho tongue

"As far as the parents are concerned, one of the most notable things that happen to the parents of twins is the nomenclature that multiple births bring about. The parents instantly begin to be called either as the “Mother of the spirits” or “the father of the spirits”. In Central Uganda, the Mother of twins become automatically known as Nnalongo while the father becomes Ssalongo.These new naming for the parents are so powerful that the concerned parents gradually lose the original names they were hitherto known by in that community before the twin birth."

http://socyberty.com/society/some-bizarre-ritual-practices-associated-with-twin-birth-in-uganda/
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 8:23pm On Nov 28, 2011
oh, ok, thanks. smiley

will see if i can find something on it.

its probably that part of uganda where they have yoruba-sounding names.

just guessing.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 8:27pm On Nov 28, 2011
In fact that's exactly what Campbell did, took a bold step and spoke to the fact the Minoans were intimate with the sea and at the peak of their civilization and international trade partnered with distant lands they held in esteem as civilized peers.  How would they know Yoruba was a high society and a good partner?  From the Minoans intimacy with the history and legacy of the Phoenicians (Canaans).

Go and read Solomon's story when Sheba visited him.  The Queen from the land of ivory, gold and slaves.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 04, 2012
I am happy we still have evidence of all these things we created, because here in Europe there is a general feeling that black people never created anything and that everything we have now was taught to us by whites, they even say that that was the aim and the good side of colonization. The people here believe we were roaming in the bushes like animals before colonization. Please could someone do a wide spread advert of our culture ?
Maybe we should make our own international TV news and show our history on it.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 2:45pm On Mar 05, 2012

nice idea if it doesnt get hijacked and sidetracked by tribal supremacists.

i watch history channel and rarely see much about african history, eg the Ife bronzes, on it.

i guess the general nature of african history makes discussions about the subject (history), a painful one.

besides, we'd probably just have various incorrect and misleading info imposed by shortsighted and misguided mercenaries.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by skillet(m): 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2012
^^^ cant we all just get along? why does every thing have to end up in a cock fight? someone just said we could have a better platform to showcase our stuff and someone else starts to rain insults on people he has never seen on a platform that is still conceptual.

seems someone here is sexually frustrated. tell you what guy: why dont you get a girlfriend and have some angry sex; you know, let off some steam. it would help. nowadays, 23 year olds have heart attacks.

haba! see the grammer! grin
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Ptolomeus(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2012
patriot2: I am happy we still have evidence of all these things we created, because here in Europe there is a general feeling that black people never created anything and that everything we have now was taught to us by whites, they even say that that was the aim and the good side of colonization. The people here believe we were roaming in the bushes like animals before colonization. Please could someone do a wide spread advert of our culture ?
Hello dear friend:
I do not know the situation in Europe. I suppose that Europeans are too proud to recognize the values ​​of Africans. They convey that in Africa before colonization had not mathematicians, doctors, scientists ...
This position is to justify under the guise of colonization, all the atrocities they committed.
His documentaries on Africa show limited to lions and giraffes, and is never explained the meaning of tribal dances; only see a group of people jumping around like fools.
In my country (and also in Brazil) is a great respect for black culture. Possibly the most representative music of our people was created by African slaves. (candombe)
Also exist many individuals and organizations that disseminate African culture ...
But there is still much work to do.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:00am On Jun 01, 2012
I saw these and felt they had to be posted in case other people haven't seen them.

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:01am On Jun 01, 2012
http://metmuseum.org/exhibitions/view?exhibitionId=%7b3836826F-B525-4F56-BAC3-DACB71D75B5C%7d&oid=50014999&pg=2&rpp=60&pos=101&ft=*&img=2
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:08am On Jun 01, 2012

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:09am On Jun 01, 2012
http://metmuseum.org/exhibitions/view?exhibitionId=%7b3836826F-B525-4F56-BAC3-DACB71D75B5C%7d&oid=50015023&pg=2&rpp=60&pos=99&ft=*
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Obalufon: 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2012
PhysicsQED: http://metmuseum.org/exhibitions/view?exhibitionId=%7b3836826F-B525-4F56-BAC3-DACB71D75B5C%7d&oid=50015023&pg=2&rpp=60&pos=99&ft=*

Thank you bro for these amazing pictures .i bet you 90% of Nigerians never saw these beautiful ceramic sculpture
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
Proud of the Yoruba..

We shall rise again.

Ashe!

1 Like

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Nobody: 3:01am On Jul 17, 2012
The roof is amazing. shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Rgp92: 3:00am On Jul 18, 2012
shymmex: Proud of the Yoruba..

We shall rise again.

Ashe!

First we need to wake our people up from their 300 years long dream.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PAPAAFRICA: 5:56am On Jun 01, 2013
the headdress on this one is beautiful! shocked shocked i wish it wasn't missing pieces cry
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PAPAAFRICA: 9:28am On Jun 08, 2013
i would love to know what the symbols on the circular disk on his head represents.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PAPAAFRICA: 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 5:42am On Jun 24, 2013
Lakal,

I posted pictures and images on another thread but it was just brought to me as a reminder to put them here as well. I agree.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 5:46am On Jun 24, 2013
TO THE GENERAL AUDIENCE, PLEASE GO TO THIS LINK TO COMMENT ON THE IMAGES BELOW, DO NOT COMMENT ABOUT IT HERE.

https://www.nairaland.com/1239208/short-history-yorubaland-pictures#14963684
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 5:51am On Jun 24, 2013
Terra Cotta Heads

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 5:54am On Jun 24, 2013
Terra Cotta Heads..

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 6:00am On Jun 24, 2013
Tribal marks

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 6:05am On Jun 24, 2013
Tribal marks.

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:05am On Jun 25, 2013
Beadworks
Rare gemstones and bass urn
Ivory tappers
Screen/door artwork

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:13am On Jun 25, 2013
Artwork on Door
Chair Upholstery

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:20am On Jun 25, 2013
General Artworks

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:25am On Jun 25, 2013
General Art and Ornaments

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:31am On Jun 25, 2013
Artworks

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by DuduNegro: 7:44am On Jun 25, 2013
Smithing

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.