Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,639 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies (10137 Views)

Photos Of The First Nigerian Actors Before 1930 / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses / Most Handsome Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by italkalot: 3:35pm On Sep 29, 2011
You see everyone makes a big deal of Nollywood, you see celebrity pages in newspapers, people aspiring to get into the film business one day, but to me, everything about Nigeria’s film industry reminds me of jeans brought from a Chinese wholesaler – large quantities, entirely useless.

I will start with the actors and actresses. First, can someone please explain to me what all the noise is about our actors (from now when I say actors I mean actors and actresses)? Most of them can’t even act. They go on set, play a role, and are so totally unconvincing that I wonder how could anyone pay for this? You see people crying, without any emotion on them, you see men angry and you immediately know someone told him to pretend, you see lovers and you don’t even feel they love. Again I will say, watch foreign movies, there’s a reason George Clooney, Angelina Jolie are called actors. I know we haven’t reached their stage, but I expected by now, with all the experience we have making films for us to have gotten better.

Personally there are only 1 person who acts well, that is Jim Iyke. I have watched his films, and you can easily see he behaves almost like someone in real life. To some extent osofia, aki n pawpaw not that bad. All the others – including desmond, omotola, rita, mercy, don’t know one girl again always fighting n quarrelling in her roles, a bit big, popular, all in my opinion rubbish. I see through them so easily. Don’t follow the hype on genieve and desmond, instead sit back in your chair a little and look at them. Will someone in real life behave like that? Look at the eyes, facial and body language, you will see most don’t even get a C in acting. We are been served substandard displays and we should stop drooling on their performances. We should criticize so they can get better.

Bottom line actors should be able to pretend and make you feel in the moment with them. Most don’t.

Nigerian films in general. What can I say – OH MY GOD!!! I mean just too many things, with the useless and repetitive themes, poor picture quality, doors unlocked (haha so funny, in Nigeria, doors unlocked?, that’s a no-brainer), improper settings, fake helicopters, fake car crashes, doctors office with table, chair and 2 books, police men, common, we are in the 21st century. Ah, I am tired. Most annoying thing is the time spent on scenes. Shows lack of creativity. I mean, most I watch how someone makes isi ewu from start to finish? There is a food channel for that. One film on African magic started, I saw the picture quality, I nearly cried for Nigeria. Your nokia 4 yrs ago can make a better film. How could anyone produce such nonsense and still have the audacity to publish it?

Bottom line – I think we should set up a quality and control division to properly scrutinize Nigerian films. Currently I can’t show Nigerian films to some of my friends abroad. They will just laugh and confirm their hidden thoughts on Africa. On the repetitive themes, I know we have great minds, I only wonder; maybe the film industry isn’t lucrative enough? We really need an overhaul, it is long overdue.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by semid4lyfe(m): 6:34pm On Sep 29, 2011
Na wa o!

Romance & Politics section no do, this dude don carry hin long boring essays reach here too undecided Someone should please summarize this dissertation and give me the finer points. tongue
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by JayDawg: 2:45pm On Oct 12, 2011
Dude! I feel exactly the same, Nollywood is GARBAGE! I must admit it is quite entertaining, but in a cringeworthy way. I hate it soo much.

What really angers me is the way they break filmmaking traditions that are centuries old! Then they come out with "we are telling our own stories the Nigerian way" Shut the fucc up fools!!

The camera was invented by the oyinbo man, filmmaking was perfected by them and taught for all to see, since the 1930s. I am a filmmaker so i can preach. Just 2 weeks into 1st year film school and i could direct a better movie than the whole bunch of Nollywood directors put together. What y'all need to understand is, a film is CONVINCING i.e a robber looks, talks and acts like a robber. A wealthy man looks, talks, dresses and eats like a wealthy man. A school looks like a school, a restaurant, bank, trafiic, a freaking love scene, you name it! Its supposed to look and feel real. You aint supposed to notice the bleeding camera. Have you ever watched a Hollywood film that made you cry?? Why? Afterall you know from the start it was just a movie abi. Guess what, that is the ART of filmmaking, it arouses emotion in you through employing cinematography, acting, sound and music. Yes! Filmaking is ART. Nollywood airhead directors get any camera and push the ON button and start filming. ANNOYING! At least use good actors, those actors and actresses are USELESS. Sorry even Jim Iyke is useless to me, cos he acts in every useless movie alongside useless actors. No standards at all!

I am coming to revolutionise the industry with TOP quality material. This is "New Nollywood", watch this space suckers!

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by freecocoa(f): 12:03pm On Oct 14, 2011
Summarized version will do please.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 14, 2011
freecocoa:

Summarized version will do please.
My Cocoa is also here, Looool

Well Nollywood no just make any kan sense at all, Stopped watching it 3yrs Ago. Seems like am too busy for it, or i outgrew its incompetency, undecided
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by sholay2011(m): 12:10pm On Oct 14, 2011
I totally disagree wiv d poster. der re stil some gud actors nd actrsses in nollywud lyk ramsey noah (watch figurine 2 confirm dis),yemi blaq, genny, kate henshaw nd even stephanie re very ok. d film industry is just growin nd nids encouragement nd support nd nt an ignorant fool ranting abt arrant nonsense. do u knw hw old hollywud is?! mschew! even nollywud film producers re nw striving 4 quality movies. if u disagree, try seein 'figurine', 'anchor baby', 'ghetto drimz'. d only place i want dem 2 rily improve is dia storylines. pls, let's appreciate wat we av. and let's get our facts right b4 creatin a thread out of an empty skull!
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by MMM2(m): 12:15pm On Oct 14, 2011
none angry
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Gbenge77(m): 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2011
Loads and loads of movies but quality is suspect.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Exponental(m): 12:23pm On Oct 14, 2011
In summary:
NIGERIAN ACTORS HAVE NOT BEEN DOING WELL, THEIR PRODUCT IS NOT REAL AND ALL FILMS SHLD BE SCRUTINISED BEFORE RELEASE.

I support d scrutiny bt d development pace is slow. Imagine som1 been shot from d front fallin fwd. Dats a big error. Total imposibility, simple physics.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by llbhuds: 12:31pm On Oct 14, 2011
So what u are saying is dat dey should be called dullingwood
no wahala den
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Pelycan: 12:47pm On Oct 14, 2011
No need to argue. Have you ever watched a behind the scenes of a Nigerian movie? The crew members, director, script writer, etc They dont look any different from the agberos who wear green n white that obtain money from okada and danfo drivers in Lagos. They do not look educated, lets not even begin to talk about their expertise, filming techniques,etc So tell me what you expect the outcome will be? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I, will rather watch the wind softly push the clouds across the sky for 3hrs, than torture myself with a nija movie, Sorry folks.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by ImaIma1(f): 12:52pm On Oct 14, 2011
stephanie is ok but her diction is not fluent.it gets in d way.omotola is good(watch Ije and i belong)genny is good, Nse Ikpe Etim, etc
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by eghost247(m): 12:54pm On Oct 14, 2011
@OP[size=20pt]Nobody is begging you to watch your just critisizing for nothing u havent actually made any valid points[/size]
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Orikinla(m): 12:56pm On Oct 14, 2011
The poster is right. But the school drama videos called Nollywood are not made for people like you. Scholars have compared Nollywood to Onitsha Market Literature produced for the illiterates or semi-literates and not for the sophisticated class. Nollywood has the largest audience like Nigeria hip hop music, the unintellectual majority of the population and the home videos tell their stories. They don't care about the intellectual and technical standards of professional acting and film making. But among them, there have been some movies of world class professional quality. Yet, until a Nigerian movie gets a notable distributor in the U.S. Or UK, we are just doing this Africa Magic to entertain ourselves and amuse the world
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 14, 2011
Nawa oh! See question Which is worse?

My dear Op, Nigerian actors and Nigerian movies are already worse, in all compartments!

Dem jus dey drag who go first enter WORST!!! undecided
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by freecocoa(f): 1:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
Ijogz K:

My Cocoa is also here,  Looool

Well Nollywood no just make any kan sense at all,  Stopped watching it 3yrs Ago. Seems like am too busy for it, or i outgrew its incompetency,   undecided
I'm here o my dear,there's nothing worth watching In that nollywood joor.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 14, 2011
Apart from nollywood comic relief movies, the rest can not even be classified as 0, start in the range of -99!. . .
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Brisingr(m): 1:34pm On Oct 14, 2011
and yet we rule africa granted dere isn't much competition but nollywood wit all it cheap actin is one of d few good tinz in our country so support d industry.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Orikinla(m): 1:37pm On Oct 14, 2011
Una wicked oh! But there are some very good home videos in Nollywood. List the best and the worst.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by ifyalways(f): 1:50pm On Oct 14, 2011
Nollywood still make good movies but ofcourse If your only access to Nollywood is the free movies from Hinolly,Africanmagic and co. you should not complain really.The media houses air free old rubbish movies.

Hit the cinemas and see correct movies like Ije,mirror boy,27 days,Inale etc
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 14, 2011
sumtimes u, 'l see an actor passing, and behind him/her u'l find a huge crowd. . . Watching. . . . . Av neva seen dat in a foreign muvy. . . Even indians dont du dis. . .
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by chinnyonwu(m): 2:22pm On Oct 14, 2011
Our actresses and actors are very good just that the movie storylines lack variety. Always a man and woman faling in love, Then comes the intruder, destabilizing their relationship, then the man's eyes clear in part 2, and he goes back to his first love. Lol
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Koolking(m): 2:24pm On Oct 14, 2011
Orikinla:

The poster is right. But the school drama videos called Nollywood are not made for people like you. Scholars have compared Nollywood to Onitsha Market Literature produced for the illiterates or semi-literates and not for the sophisticated class. Nollywood has the largest audience like Nigeria hip hop music, the unintellectual majority of the population and the home videos tell their stories. They don't care about the intellectual and technical standards of professional acting and film making. But among them, there have been some movies of world class professional quality. Yet, until a Nigerian movie gets a notable distributor in the U.S. Or UK, we are just doing this Africa Magic to entertain ourselves and amuse the world

THAT'S IT. YOU GOT THE PICTURE BRO. NOLLYWOOD HAS BEEN GROSSLY HYPED. THANK GOD I DONT EVEN WATCH THEM.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by shadrach77: 2:45pm On Oct 14, 2011
the thing i hate most about them is the way they speak with fake american accent grin grin grin
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by mikron(m): 2:54pm On Oct 14, 2011
@op i read ur useless post thrice & im yet to pick out 3 intelligent points u made. 1st u compared george clooney n co to our actors among other things u mentioned which i cant rmbr now. May i remind u dat nollywood started in the yr 1994 with living in bondage making the film industry just 17 yrs as compared to hollywood (100+). A right thinking person (which u re not) will not make the mistake of comparing the 2 together. In ur myopic thinking there re no good actors/actresses in nigeria, well 4 ur information we ve
zach orji, gene, omotola, jim iyke, yemi blaq, pete edochie, nkem owoh & d list goes on. Even recently cnn likened gene as d sharon stone of africa (note: not nigeria alone)
@op can u act a role? If u knw u cant then SHUT da F**K UP.
Let' s promote what we ve got. I get sick listening to id**ts like u. Nollywood is ours, if u dont like them then get lost
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by mikron(m): 3:06pm On Oct 14, 2011
nollywood has got good movies like ije, igodo, izaga, the figurine, and some good yoruba movies too. Why do we keep comparing nolywood with hollywood? We know we are not there yet for crying out loud.
@op that question is 4 u to answer since u are mr know all. @sholay20 i feel u. You re a right thinking person.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Blazing88(f): 3:10pm On Oct 14, 2011
@op. Nigerian actors are trying even with the bad economy in nigeria. Pls act ur own lets see!!!
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by iice(f): 3:21pm On Oct 14, 2011
I agree with topic. But then again, i also find half the actors in hollywood to be terrible. Especially the females.
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by sley4life(m): 3:36pm On Oct 14, 2011
its the movie that are worse not the actors
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by JayDawg: 3:56pm On Oct 14, 2011
Why are people ignorant? Someone here said Nollywood is 14yrs old, but are cameras 14yrs old? Is filmmaking 14yrs old?

Hollywood had some if its greatest ever years in the 1930s. Yeah, the 1930s!!!! Wizard of Oz was made in 1939! The switch to movies with sound started in like 1927!!! Not even 10years had passed and they had classics on their hands.

We are in 2011!!!!! Wake up!!! Over 70yrs have passed and we have hardly made ONE film of worldwide acclaim. SUCKS big time! Because you have low standards doesnt mean the rest of us should buy into it abeg! What is wrong with people?? Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi with $7000 dollars!

Dont make me angry pls!
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by MSItachi: 3:57pm On Oct 14, 2011
The simple issue is the CINEMA system, if we get the cinema system right then film makers can afford to spend more moni on films and better quality, scripts etc

even in US, UK etc movies go into cinemas first, if movies are released into DVD immediately piracy will finish them (torrents etc), even denzel will start acting scrappy movies, actors wont develop with scrappy sales and profit, how many films in naija are made with even a 100mil naira which is less than what an average actor gets in a developed country, simple reason is they wont be able to get the moni back and not that the producers dont have this monies to spare, from dependable profits comes better demands for acting comes better actors etc

All the major films we have had in naija went to cinema first so as to re-coop their capital that when u hear transporter made 200 million within first weekend etc, So if we can develop a  cinema culture and develop local ones then we might be on our way to better quality in movies
Re: I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies by Orikinla(m): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2011
Top 10 Npllywood Movies

1) Tango With Me

2) Figurine

3) Changing Faces

40 Ije

5) Bursting Out

6) The Other Side Of Love

7) Between King And Queen

cool The Last October 7

9) Double Shift

10) I Surrender All

(1) (2) (Reply)

80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack / Tstv Is Working Very Well With Strong Decoder. / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.