Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors (1176 Views)

Beltus Kwene, Cameroonian Soldier That Died Yesterday / Boy Undergoing Spiritual Cleansing In A Cameroonian Village (Graphic Pic) / Paul Biya Reelected As Cameroon's President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors by francisj(m): 5:50am On Sep 30, 2011
PM , Armed Cameroon protestors ask President Paul Biya to go
On September 30, 2011 • In News ,

YAOUNDE (AFP) – Armed men dressed as soldiers fired into the air and stopped traffic in south Cameroon on Thursday, demanding the departure of long-serving President Paul Biya ahead of a controversial poll, reports said. The men fired their weapons at the main bridge in Douala, the economic capital of the west African nation that will hold a presidential election on October 9, according to media reports and law enforcement sources. Cameroon Radio-Television (CRTV) described them as members of an unidentified armed group which held up traffic on Wouri Bridge for two hours. A local official and other sources said just one man was responsible however.
The governor of Littoral province, Fai Yengo Francis, said in a statement: “At about 6:00 am (0500 GMT) an unidentified individual, armed and dressed in military uniform, disrupted traffic on Wouri bridge.
“Thanks to the swift reaction of public order forces, under the supervision of the administrative authorities, the assailant was pushed back and traffic resumed.”
The governor said there were no casualties and reassured locals that efforts were being made to track down the gunman.An unnamed taxi driver said: “I saw an armed soldier on the bridge. He had blocked the traffic and was asking people not to pass. He had a placard which I saw with ‘Paul Biya dictator’”.
CRTV meanwhile reported exchanges of fire between a group of men and the defence forces, “which forced the defeated assailants into the water,” the station said.
The outburst comes as tension builds in the country ahead of the elections which 78-year-old Biya, in power since 1982 and one of Africa’s longest-standing heads of state, plans to contest.
On Tuesday the country’s main opposition party, the Social Democratic Front, (SDF) denounced what it said were irregularities in the organisation of the poll.
“There is a whole mountain of irregularities,” Evariste Fopoussi, the SDF’s pointman during the campaign, told AFP, citing double entries or missing names in electoral rolls as well as delays in preparation.
Civil society movements accuse Biya of having locked down the electoral system to ensure that he is returned to power. Cameroon’s Supreme Court has validated 23 candidates for the presidency, including Biya and John Fru Ndi, the veteran opposition candidate of the SDF.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/armed-cameroon-protestors-ask-president-paul-biya-to-go
Re: Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors by francisj(m): 6:01am On Sep 30, 2011
The wind of change is tracing it's path through African countries where leaders want to hold to power till eternity,From the North of Africa to the Centre and gradually tilting towards the West. hope Paul Biya conduct a free and fair election(come ctober cool and accept the outcome of the election ,cos it obvios that cameroonian are fedup with his holding to power !!!
Re: Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors by kodewrita(m): 7:09am On Sep 30, 2011
lets hope he wont rig the election
Re: Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors by Nayah(f): 9:05am On Sep 30, 2011
I'm Cameroonian and I really hope my country give the example of political change without blood, of course Biya has to go but the thing is our opposition has to be blamed as well because they're not UNITED enough and that's Biya's work to pay others to corrupt them and weaken them too

I believe in my country, Cameroon is an example of "living together" with all religions, many tribes and so on and God will bless this country over and over again
Re: Cameroonian's President Paul Biya Must Go:said Armed Cameroon Protestors by mukina2: 9:06am On Sep 30, 2011

(1)

The Abdication Of ‘Queen’ Elizabeth II We Are NOW In An Interregnum / Robert Mugabe Slam On Nelson Mandela,called Him A Coward / Hussein Khomeini (khomini Grandson) Calls For The Overthrow Of Govt. In Iran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.