Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions (5162 Views)

CBN To Publish Names Of Bank Debtors / CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars / 6 Principles To Adopt To Find Your Future Wealth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Ovularia: 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2011
CBN to extend Islamic banking to other financial sectors
THE Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, said that plans are underway to extend the non-interest banking or Islamic banking principles to non-banking financial services. Some non-bank financial institutions, such as insurance companies, fund managers stockbroking firms have already introduced to the market products designed after the Islamic banking model.

Speaking at the 16th annual CBN seminar for financial market journalists in Adamawa state, Special Adviser to the CBN Governor on Non-Interest Banking, Dr. Bashir Umar, in his paper titled, ‘Overview and Conceptual Issues of Non-Interest Banking in Nigeria,’ said that the apex bank will ensure that the proposed introduction of non-interest financial services will not be limited to banking services alone.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/cbn-to-extend-islamic-banking-to-other-financial-sectors/
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by erico2k2(m): 10:45pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ovularia:

CBN to extend Islamic banking to other financial sectors
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/cbn-to-extend-islamic-banking-to-other-financial-sectors/
OK no problem, lets see wether they will be diciplined anough to follow the procedures and principles which makes this work in those countries they where first and still instituted.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chamber2(m): 10:49pm On Sep 30, 2011
When is sanusi's tenure expiring
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Remii(m): 10:55pm On Sep 30, 2011
^^^so you think sanusi is the problem, eh, those who sold dummies for us and made away with billions of naira in failed banks are better, shey.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chamber2(m): 10:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
Remii:

^^^so you think sanusi is the problem, eh, those who sold dummies for us and made away with billions of naira in failed banks are better, shey.

How do you mean?

I never said sanusi is the problem.

But he is obviously part of the problem
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by erico2k2(m): 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ALl,I dont see anything wrong with the concept or its initiators though,but I forsee problems with the people who are going to practice it or run it lol,I cant wait when it all goes peer shape
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Maisuya1: 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
Vanguard and their eye catching captions, as if that was all the conference was about.

I read excerpts from the conference the cbn guy representing sanusi was alluding to insurance practices already in tandem with Islamic banking and the already existing funds managed in accordance with Islamic principles, like lotus, And how the cbn will ensure synergy,

And see the propaganda crap vanguard is throwing, why don't they just come clean and criticise cbn or IB rather than spread misrepresentations
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by manny4life(m): 11:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
chamber2:

When is sanusi's tenure expiring

Exactly my thoughts; WHEN IS HIS TENURE EXPIRING? This man pisses me off daily with his imposing; he's about to throw turmoil in our great country. While people are decrying about the so-called Islamic banking, here he is instituting Islamic principles to Non-Banking Financial Institutions. If he is Pro-Islamic agenda leader, let him leave the CBN, we need conventional practices and principles [b]NOT [/b]Islamic Principles.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chamber2(m): 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2011
manny4life:

Exactly my thoughts; WHEN IS HIS TENURE EXPIRING? This man pisses me off daily with his imposing; he's about to throw turmoil in our great country. While people are decrying about the so-called Islamic banking, here he is instituting Islamic principles to Non-Banking Financial Institutions. If he is Pro-Islamic agenda leader, let him leave the CBN, we need conventional practices and principles [b]NOT [/b]Islamic Principles.

Don't worry, some islamic banking apologists will soon come after you, just because you expressed your thought and enlightened opinion.

But who cares

Who cares about sanusi and his ranting

I only care about the economy and the people of Nigeria he is about to plonk into another round of recession.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by manny4life(m): 11:31pm On Sep 30, 2011
chamber2:

Don't worry, some islamic banking apologists will soon come after you, just because you expressed your thought and enlightened opinion.

But who cares

Who cares about sanusi and his ranting

I only care about the economy and the people of Nigeria he is about to plonk into another round of recession.

They should bring their A-game on, I sure don't know the in-depth about this so-called Islamic banking et al, and while I have tried to read into it (which I have), understand it's underlying concepts and reasoning, I'm more profound on conventional practices.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by VoodooDoll(m): 11:33pm On Sep 30, 2011
Funds from Northern States under Sharia will likely be placed in Sharia compliant banks and products.

The Federal govt may face pressure to put some of the "reserves" in sharia compliant banks and products.

Interesting times.

Sharia banking/finance is a distraction, Nigeria has bigger issues.  Sharia banking if implemented properly will be neutral to Nigeria's economy.   But knowing Nigeria, we will use these new products as a way to further deepen our ethnic and religious differences.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chamber2(m): 11:37pm On Sep 30, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Funds from Northern States under Sharia will likely be placed in Sharia compliant banks and products.

The Federal govt may face pressure to put some of the "reserves" in sharia compliant banks and products.

Interesting times.

Sharia banking/finance is a distraction, Nigeria has bigger issues.  Sharia banking if implemented properly will be neutral to Nigeria's economy.   But knowing Nigeria, we will use these new products as a way to further deepen our ethnic and religious differences.

That is the fundamental idea, nothing else. Any body who denies that is only deceiving himself.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by manny4life(m): 11:52pm On Sep 30, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Interesting times.

The highlighted is my concern; this is a gradual process, forcefully trying to convert Nigerian into a Islamic nation. Why would Nigerian Federal Govt face pressure to put some of it's reserves in "Sharia Compliant Banks"? Was Nigeria founded on the tenets of Islam? Or is the fed trying t patronize sharia banks? These are the hard but true and for real questions.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chima2011: 1:58am On Oct 01, 2011
SANUSI IS NOT ALL THAT HOLY, GO AND FIND OUT HIS CONNECTION WITH NEXT NEWSPAPER (THAT HAVE JUST FOLDED UP).
GO AND FIND OUT THE MAGO MAGO HE USED TO ISSUE OUT THE LOAN THE NEWSPAPER STARTED WITH.

GO AND FIND OUT HOW HE IS USING HIS POWERS AS CBN GOV TO COVER UP HIS PAST FLAWS AND IRREGULARITIES IN FIRST BANK.

NOW HE IS TALKING ABOUT ISLAMIC WHATEVER, THAT MAN IS BEGINNING TO SOUND LIKE AN EXTREMIST - BUT A COURTEOUS, CIVIL BUT MANIPULATIVE ONE
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by chimauga(m): 2:21am On Oct 01, 2011
chima u are right my man , Sanusi is the biggest fool i have ever seen , he tought he can islamise nigeria , he is afraid of that that is why he sent some body to represent him,
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Validated: 4:56am On Oct 01, 2011
Why do you guys stress yourselves?
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Omarbah: 5:15am On Oct 01, 2011
As far as I am concerned, this does not mean that other financial institutions not operating under sharia law will be banned. So what is it with all the noise ? You will go to your regular banks and whoever wants to deal with Sharia Banking and financial institutions will go to them. It is that simple. if you make a big deal out of this, then it will create social tensions which you obviously do not want.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by pereze: 7:04am On Oct 01, 2011
Remii:

Are you not among those clamouring for FOI bill? He asked a simple question which all you should have done is to supply the answer if you have it.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Relax101(m): 7:04am On Oct 01, 2011
Question people. What happened to the micro finance banks?
Are there still any of them left?
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by FEMARY(m): 7:58am On Oct 01, 2011
We have SIM router in stock.Just pop in your sim card and star browsing LIVE on 3.5 G networks.

1.Just insert your sim card and start browsing wirelessly/or through wired network.

2.Make/receive calls with this router.It serves as a gsm land line.

3.High speed internet browsing on GLO/MTN/AIRTEL 3.5G networks.

4.No need for modems.

Pick it up @

Coretech Products & Services
2nd Floor Victory Plaza
57 Awolowo Way
Ikeja,Lagso

Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 01, 2011
Welcome to the islamic republic of Nigeria
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Kellymann: 9:08am On Oct 01, 2011
I think we all should be objective and sensitive in the way we react to issues. The whole brouhaha over Islamic banking has been riddled with so much bigotry and mistrust. Many of us who are die-hard opponents of the principle have developed this kind of mindset based on some of the misrepresentations about Islam we have been exposed to over the years.

Many of us are all of the opinion that anything that has the appellation Islamic means a lot of negative things that misrepresentations have allowed us to ascribe to it.

I am sure this is also fueled by the fact that the issue of Islamic banking was brought up again during the the tenure of a CBN governor who is a Muslim. Some of us calling for the head of Sanusi today I know would have praised him when he stood up against the Senate during their allocation issue.

We should learn to be more tolerant of each other more so at this crucial point of celebrating 51 years of independence. Nigeria is still one today because of the sacrifice of some people to make it one. Let us not all tear it apart with our attitude of always wanting to suspect the other ethnic group, religious group, etc.

Happy Independence y'all! God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by nicflame(m): 9:18am On Oct 01, 2011
Thank God, it will be good, and its sure the best if we but know, NO INTEREST
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by 1121: 10:29am On Oct 01, 2011
I dont just understand what this sanusi is up to. As a leader, considering d religious volatility of nigerians, wouldnt he rather focus on more important issues that can foster unity other than this islamic primitive idea. Beside i dont know how this rubish wil survive this in this society. I just hope his tenure espires quick so we can have a fresh breath
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by Mavor: 11:07am On Oct 01, 2011
Nigeria will soon split into 2 soon!!! Looking forward to it cheesy
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by baslone: 11:16am On Oct 01, 2011
Kellymann:

I think we all should be objective and sensitive in the way we react to issues. The whole brouhaha over Islamic banking has been riddled with so much bigotry and mistrust. Many of us who are die-hard opponents of the principle have developed this kind of mindset based on some of the misrepresentations about Islam we have been exposed to over the years.

Many of us are all of the opinion that anything that has the appellation Islamic means a lot of negative things that misrepresentations have allowed us to ascribe to it.

I am sure this is also fueled by the fact that the issue of Islamic banking was brought up again during the the tenure of a CBN governor who is a Muslim. Some of us calling for the head of Sanusi today I know would have praised him when he stood up against the Senate during their allocation issue.

We should learn to be more tolerant of each other more so at this crucial point of celebrating 51 years of independence. Nigeria is still one today because of the sacrifice of some people to make it one. Let us not all tear it apart with our attitude of always wanting to suspect the other ethnic group, religious group, etc.

A person with high level of reasoning like yours shouldn't be on this thread.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by basadenet: 3:30pm On Oct 01, 2011
The lamido sanusi - it is good to leave when the ovation is at loudest rather than wait to forced out. Sanusi Lamido leave the scene now before you are forced out,
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by manny4life(m): 3:40pm On Oct 01, 2011
Kellymann:

Objective an sensitive? I think the average Nigerian has shown an objection and sensitivity to how they react to issues particularly issues dealing with ethnicity and religion. You can call it bigotry and brouhaha but that won't change the ideology of what Islamic principles and tenets and what it's leaders represent. This is not a matter of what you're exposed to or not, this is simply because there are things that you cannot merge or introduce on someone; religion being one of them.

Tolerance only comes with patience, when there's no more patience, there's no tolerance. You cannot ask to impose such non-sense on banks and non-banking financial industries, where they founded on the tenets of Islam? Same was said about Islamic Banks; these banks were founded, applied adhere to the core principles of Islam because that's the part they chose, now what would you say about those who are totally NOT in accordance to the tenets of Islam, what happens? Isn't that pushing it? Well we'll see how this will play out.

As far as I'm concerned, when I think of Islam, no offense but Terror come to mind. I'll say, if you oppose what Islam stands for and you're convinced, boycott AND withdraw your funds from stock Broking firms, Fund Managers et al, that support or have products associated with Islam because that is indirect terror financing. He is lucky because people are treading quietly with this nonsense or should I say they are clueless and can't hold their NASS Reps accountable, Nigerians are NOT outspoken like the westerners (U.S.), if people have been advised to removed their funds from terror banks and financial service industries, they WILL be forced to have a serious rethink.
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by africavo: 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2011
Do You Think Start Your Business and Incorporate it with Federal Government of Nigeria(CAC)?
Start Your Business Package for all Nigerians
For Just a Token of #30,000 One Time
for Life Setup Fee.
We are going to setup your company website
Address e.g www.yourcompanyname.com
it will look like this http://africaresellerclub.com,
We are going to design and customized your company name for you
We are going to setup all web hosting products from USA & Uk
We will give you direct access to all whole sells prize
From USA & UK with Data base centre in California. For Further Enquries Call +234-7064347551
Email Us: billingafricaresellerclub@gmail.com
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by OK1(m): 7:21am On Oct 02, 2011
This aint funny at all!
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by TBrownAuto(m): 5:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
This country has been mislead and so many people brianwash and talk on issue with sentiment that is how it all started with GEJ useless excuse tired of the north ruling same goes with the banking sector we dont want religion banking, due to the level of poverty our orientation level is very low

What his trying to introduc is intrest free banking what is our problem with that is it not for our benefit he trying his best to bring $$$ down rather the Govt not making it easy for him he tried much too making our bank stronger exposing lot we say negative word abt him what is our problem in this country.

Am just tired and feel piss off reading some post they just comment without reson
Re: CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions by busar(m): 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2011
i tink bot Books(Quran n Bible)prohbits interest.so y ar xtians shoutin as if interest is alowd in d Bible? And knw dat dis non-interest banking wasnt passd in2 law by sanusi because it as bin dere since 1991.If we contnue wit al dis banks we av nw,d rich il bcom richa yl d poor il bcom poorer because as an avrag 9jarian i cnt go in2 d bnk n tak loan 2 stat a biz witout colateral,so,hw do u tink i il mak it in life?pls let sanusi do his job because he is d right man.And if u knw u ar not plsd wit d way is runin it u can go n apply 4 d pst of cbn govn n do urs. is runin it u can go n apply 4 d pst of cbn govn n do urs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 5 Shop Online In Nigeria Stores / Online Business Oppotunities (learn How To Start It FREE) / POP Cement At A Good Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.