Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car (30952 Views)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine / Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Help-pls I Need A Good Autoshop I Can Raise The Base Of A Honda Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by domack99(m): 2:35pm On Sep 30, 2011
Hello House, just want to find out if their could be negative effect by raising the base of a car away from the ground. And what exactly do you adjust when raising the base and is their any alternative means or is their any car that cannot be raise or not advise to raise.
your comments and advice will be helpful

2 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
An old post, but...

...Why do you want to give your car a lift? And what car is it?
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by babyboy3(m): 1:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
Hello House, just want to find out if their could be negative effect by raising the base of a car away from the ground. And what exactly do you adjust when raising the base and is their any alternative means or is their any car that cannot be raise or not advise to raise.
your comments and advice will be helpful

You have to first find out whether the car was lowered in the first place!

If yes then you could order the original size of the springs or the original suspension kit.

If No then theirs no point of raising it!

You could buy bigger rims like going from a 15" to 17" or 18" rims or wheels (plus tyres)
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by fizzybaba(m): 5:47pm On Feb 15, 2012
People entertain the idea of raising their cars (not just the base) because of bad roads

i have heard its not a good idea but bad roads makes it compelling,

2 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
Raising a vehicle is not only bad practice, it's also dangerous. You're raising the centre of gravity, which makes the car unstable at speed, more vulnerable if driven in cross winds or bad roads with negative camber. A sudden change of direction (like swerving to avoid an obstacle) could cause the car to over turn.

The suspension of an automobile is a safety-related aspect, the ride height is set buy the manufacturers, based upon extensive testing, involving several hundreds of hours of R&grin, and millions of $$$. Do you honestly feel you can better the factory settings, by raising the height artificially?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by fizzybaba(m): 9:52am On Feb 16, 2012
@SIENA:

as persuasive as your argument is, am at loss as to the major reason why it shouldn't be done. Lack of technical expertise or the alteration of the centre of gravity?

If the latter, that brings to mind sports utility vehicle. I must admit that car makers advertise the higher roll over risk (see honda crv 2005 model for example), but when a car is lifted slightly, it is still not as high as SUV. relatively, is it still not a safe practice to raise CAR base(s)?

2 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 16, 2012
fizzybaba:

@SIENA:

as persuasive as your argument is, am at loss as to the major reason why it shouldn't be done. Lack of technical expertise or the alteration of the centre of gravity?

If the latter, that brings to mind sports utility vehicle. I must admit that car makers advertise the higher roll over risk (see honda crv 2005 model for example), but when a car is lifted slightly, it is still not as high as SUV. relatively, is it still not a safe practice to raise CAR base(s)?

Frizzy, I have been in the automobile game for very may years, longer than some people on here have been alive. Besides doing regular servicing and maintenance, I also cater for the aftermarket sector, where a lot of custom / bespoke work is carried out. Between 1994 and 2003, I worked closely with Leda Suspension. Now Leda is a suspension outfit, up there with the likes of Lotus, when it comes to handling, they're up there with the best. Both are consulted by the main auto manufacturers in the world. They also build and design suspension for Motorsport Teams.

I have built systems both for road and off-road use. Raising the suspension of any car, above the stock (non-Sport version) is a recipe for disaster. You raise the ride height, you alter the roll axis, you increase the centre of gravity. On a ratio, a raised VW Golf II will be higher than a Range Rover Sport. Because the RR is wider, if both are compared on a pre-determined scale, the RR will be lower than the Golf, which is a lot narrower. In simple terms, divide the height by the width. SUV manufacturers do their best to counteract the effect of the vehicle's height on handling, by making the track wider and the engine / transmission mounted as low in the chassis as possible.

When a car is lowered, the suspension becomes stiffer. You raise it artificially, it becomes softer - lots of bounce, body roll, not good. Bear in mind, these "raised" cars driving on Nigerian roads have stock anti-roll bars. A VW Golf II 1,3 does NOT have anti-roll bars, raising this is dangerous. We're talking of a lot of metal and weight above the axles. Drive such a car, and have to take evasive action at speeds as low as 25 mph. Then compare the same action with a similar car, with the standard suspension, at a higher speed of 30 mph. Big difference. The "raised" car will have lots of body roll in corners, very unstable. The lower car will handle the altered path better.

I understand the reasons for raising cars in Nigeria - bad roads. But at the same time, the roll-over risk on bad roads, with lots of adverse camber (sideway tilt) is great. All cars have a set "tilt angle". This is how many degrees the car can tilt before the risk of roll over becomes an issue. Raising a car reduces the tilt angle, so assuming the natural tilt angle is 57 degrees, you've effectively reduced it to about 45. This is based upon a car with just the driver. In Nigeria, 6 in a car is common, the risk factor is higher.

What dampers (shock absorbers) will be used on a raised car? The rams are designed to work within a set scale. If the car is raised, the dampers stop working, period. This is why these raised cars have such a harsh, bouncy ride, there's simply too much travel in height for the rams to work. At this increased height, you could remove the dampers, and you wouldn't notice they were gone, it's that bad.

A raised car driven on a fairly smooth road, on a windy day will feel unstable. I don't know how high TMB is, but the effects of cross-winds on a high bridge are greater, even with a standard, or lowered car. With a raised one, the car will have a tendency to "wander", not hold a straight line. Lastly, in Nigeria, the majority of drivers want a car that has as low fuel consumption as possible. A lower car is more streamlined, so less drag at motorway speeds. A raised car will lift at the front at motorway speeds, causing drag and increasing fuel consumption (the steering will also feel light and vague).

Sorry to get technical, but this is what I do, and I'm getting my points across. To cap it all, with a raised car:

01) Higher centre of gravity, greater roll-over risk.
02) Altered roll axis / tilt angle, greater roll-over risk.
03) Less aerodynamic, more drag, front end lifts at motorway speeds, greater fuel consumption.
04) Lateral stability at motorway speeds is reduced, especially if driven in cross-winds.

25 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Ikenna351(m): 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
Siena:

Frizzy, I have been in the automobile game for very may years, longer than some people on here have been alive. Besides doing regular servicing and maintenance, I also cater for the aftermarket sector, where a lot of custom / bespoke work is carried out. Between 1994 and 2003, I worked closely with Leda Suspension. Now Leda is a suspension outfit, up there with the likes of Lotus, when it comes to handling, they're up there with the best. Both are consulted by the main auto manufacturers in the world. They also build and design suspension for Motorsport Teams.

I have built systems both for road and off-road use. Raising the suspension of any car, above the stock (non-Sport version) is a recipe for disaster. You raise the ride height, you alter the roll axis, you increase the centre of gravity. On a ratio, a raised VW Golf II will be higher than a Range Rover Sport. Because the RR is wider, if both are compared on a pre-determined scale, the RR will be lower than the Golf, which is a lot narrower. In simple terms, divide the height by the width. SUV manufacturers do their best to counteract the effect of the vehicle's height on handling, by making the track wider and the engine / transmission mounted as low in the chassis as possible.

When a car is lowered, the suspension becomes stiffer. You raise it artificially, it becomes softer - lots of bounce, body roll, not good. Bear in mind, these "raised" cars driving on Nigerian roads have stock anti-roll bars. A VW Golf II 1,3 does NOT have anti-roll bars, raising this is dangerous. We're talking of a lot of metal and weight above the axles. Drive such a car, and have to take evasive action at speeds as low as 25 mph. Then compare the same action with a similar car, with the standard suspension, at a higher speed of 30 mph. Big difference. The "raised" car will have lots of body roll in corners, very unstable. The lower car will handle the altered path better.

I understand the reasons for raising cars in Nigeria - bad roads. But at the same time, the roll-over risk on bad roads, with lots of adverse camber (sideway tilt) is great. All cars have a set "tilt angle". This is how many degrees the car can tilt before the risk of roll over becomes an issue. Raising a car reduces the tilt angle, so assuming the natural tilt angle is 57 degrees, you've effectively reduced it to about 45. This is based upon a car with just the driver. In Nigeria, 6 in a car is common, the risk factor is higher.

What dampers (shock absorbers) will be used on a raised car? The rams are designed to work within a set scale. If the car is raised, the dampers stop working, period. This is why these raised cars have such a harsh, bouncy ride, there's simply too much travel in height for the rams to work. At this increased height, you could remove the dampers, and you wouldn't notice they were gone, it's that bad.

A raised car driven on a fairly smooth road, on a windy day will feel unstable. I don't know how high TMB is, but the effects of cross-winds on a high bridge are greater, even with a standard, or lowered car. With a raised one, the car will have a tendency to "wander", not hold a straight line. Lastly, in Nigeria, the majority of drivers want a car that has as low fuel consumption as possible. A lower car is more streamlined, so less drag at motorway speeds. A raised car will lift at the front at motorway speeds, causing drag and increasing fuel consumption (the steering will also feel light and vague).

Sorry to get technical, but this is what I do, and I'm getting my points across. To cap it all, with a raised car:

03) Less aerodynamic, more drag, front end lifts at motorway speeds, greater fuel consumption.
04) Lateral stability at motorway speeds is reduced, especially if driven in cross-winds.

Tell them biko! Abeg, Siena, where i go fit get "HALF" of the training in auto industry wey you get. If I can gather bit of your knowledge in auto industry, then, my have accomplished more than enough.

Most times, people that complain about how low (ground clearance) there cars are dont bother to check the conditions of the dampers. Dead, most of them. My 505 V6 has a low ground clearance & i have travelled with it several times, yet it never got stucked on our terrible highways. And i still maintain the factory tyre spec/size: 195/60 R15. People would argue that 195/65 would be better for Nigeria road, but am keeping to the factory (195/60) & it has never been a problem to me.

Its not about how low a car is, but how careful & sensible the driver is. I dont just jump into or steer my low ground car into any spot. Rather, i do it carefully. Even spots or terrible gullies on road you would think my car wont enter and drive out without been stucked or scratching the bottom of the car, i would gently climb in and out, no scratch, no noise and would fire on with my journey. Even travellling to my village with the car has never been a problem for me. i would manage the situation of the road by carefully knowing how & where i steer in my tyres. The suspension of the car & size of the tyres are ok to me. Because you know why? The balance and stability of the car on high speed on highways is more important to me because of the factory low ground clearance & wider sized tyres of the car. Disrupting the car factory ground clearance by raising the suspensions or changing to higher/tall tyres (195/65) would deifinitly put my life at great risk on highway, nothwithstanding the high fuel consumption that would take effect henceforth the modification is done. I had an accident at Awka, Anambra state, in 1998 with my mom's car, which sent the car to it early grave. Thank God i survived. But do you know why it happened? Because Dad raised the suspensions ( put longer springs). The car lost control when trying to steer away from a pothole. What happened next is a story for another day. Dad  made that mistake & see what it lead to: loosing the entire car . Now, the car was gone because dad wanted to save the floor of the car from hitting the bad roads. I wont live to put myself in that risk again. If you dont like your existence, go ahead & raise your car. If you live or survive to tell the story when it eventually happens , thank your God.

Ikenna.

3 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by mcnepow(m): 2:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
Siena:

U too much!!!
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
Because of the area(bad road, pot hole-ridden) I was living then, I did for my Honda Civic in 2009. I never experienced any effect.

5 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 4:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
Well Siena is right but the answer is not as straight forward as he pointed out!

It all depends on what your goal is. Are you going to change the handling characteristics of the car when you raise it? Sure. But does that mean it will become unsafe? It depends. You can always counter whatever effect your changes made to the car.

For an off-road vehicle, you have no choice but to raise the ride height. If done properly, the car will only become more dangerous in extreme situations. To do it properly, you might need to widen its track, change out the suspension, and/or change the tire size/width.

Also, just because something is OEM does not mean that it is the best. Car manufacturers have to make a lot of compromises based on price, intended usage, warranty, parts availability, weight, ease of replacement, etc. But you can be rest assured that when an OEM part has been tested to work with other parts in your car.

There are certain things that I’m 100% certain are not the best for an economic car. For example, brakes, tires, wheels, and suspension can certainly be improved upon.

The bottom line is that when you change out parts of your car to non-OEM spec parts, you are changing the characteristics of the car for better or worse. More is not always better when it comes to cars because it is a system.

6 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2012
In addition, if you have a little bit of money to play with, you can get an air lift suspension for about $2k. It allows you to lift of drop your car at will.

Some sports cars like the Porsche 997 GT3 now comes with the option of a lift kit so that you can raise the nose of the car when going over a steep incline like a speed bump or garage entrance.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Oskilala: 4:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
I think i need a Toyota Siena,
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Konnektions146(m): 4:19pm On Feb 16, 2012
Oga Siena,
i alwayys love to read you on NL, yu re just too much,
though i see not to understand certain things yu say but i pick some of them i hear my mechanic mention.

but in all, your posts are always so educating.

keep it up

Oskilala:

I think i need a Toyota Siena,
lol

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by babyboy3(m): 4:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sienna is right,

When I had my 320i and I changed the rims to 17inch Momo rims, I felt like I was driving an SUV and on the motorway, at times you could feel the rear drifting and the car was bouncing about, I had to changed the suspension system to a sport one which lowered the car, and the handling was much more better,
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by campella(m): 4:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sienna,
Everything you said is right.

What I want you to understand is that no one is ever willing to adjust his car from the original form.
The bad roads are just the cause of the adjustment.

In this regard, what then do you think can be done to avoid you running to the mech each time you travel?
Please say something as currently, my Toyota Camry is raised to avoid constant exhaust welding.

You input is highly needed.

3 Likes

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
baby-boy:

Sienna is right,  

When I had my 320i and I changed the rims to 17inch Momo rims, I felt like I was driving an SUV and on the motorway, at times you could feel the rear drifting and the car was bouncing about, I had to changed the suspension system to a sport one which lowered the car, and the handling was much more better,

Your situation is somewhat different and probably happened due to a combination of any of the factors listed below:

1. you increased the overall diameter of the wheel + tire when compared to OEM
2. your tire thread design is prone to drifting
3. you need new suspension especially dampers
4. you increased the weight of the tire/wheel combination which made your OEM suspension show its age
5. you needed an alignment which you probably got when you replaced the suspension
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 4:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
campella:

Sienna,
Everything you said is right.

What I want you to understand is that no one is ever willing to adjust his car from the original form.
The bad roads are just the cause of the adjustment.

In this regard, what then do you think can be done to avoid you running to the mech each time you travel?
Please say something as currently, my Toyota Camry is raised to avoid constant exhaust welding.

You input is highly needed.

Get an adjustable coilover kit and it will allow you to change the following:

- Compression/Rebound adjustable
- Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
- Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel

This will negate the effects of raising your car but it costs between $500- $2k.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
Loads of opinions on this thread, which is a very good one by the way.

To OP, the answer depends on what vehicle we are talking about and to what level you are going to go with your modifications. One caveat, with suspension, one thing affects the other as they are infinitely related. So say you add tires with a bigger circumference as is common in Nigeria, then you've affected the designed sprung weight of the car, many nasty things can occur at speed when the wheels start oscillating up and down since the shocks might not be able to deal with the extra weight of the now bigger tires.

CAR:
Most cars, except for a relative few like the Audi All Road, are not conducive to being raised.

Pick Up Trucks:
Most pick up trucks, especially those with solid axles can easily be raised with a combination of body and suspension lifts. I had a Toyota Pick Up Truck , that I installed a 6 inch body lift, 6 inch suspension lift and the new tires also gave it an additional 4 inches of lift.

Did I affect the center of gravity? Loads! Did I once felt unsafe while driving it? Absolutely not!

So what car are you thinking of raising?

PS: I smile when I see a lot of people with their new fancy cars in Nigeria and wonder how they manage to get around unless they plan their trips carefully.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 6:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
Somorin#1:

Loads of opinions on this thread, which is a very good one by the way.

To OP, the answer depends on what vehicle we are talking about and to what level you are going to go with your modifications. One caveat, with suspension, one thing affects the other as they are infinitely related. So say you add tires with a bigger circumference as is common in Nigeria, then you've affected the designed sprung weight of the car, many nasty things can occur at speed when the wheels start oscillating up and down since the shocks might not be able to deal with the extra weight of the now bigger tires.

CAR:
Most cars, except for a relative few like the Audi All Road, are not conducive to being raised.

Pick Up Trucks:
Most pick up trucks, especially those with solid axles can easily be raised with a combination of body and suspension lifts. I had a Toyota Pick Up Truck , that I installed a 6 inch body lift, 6 inch suspension lift and the new tires also gave it an additional 4 inches of lift.

Did I affect the center of gravity? Loads! Did I once felt unsafe while driving it? Absolutely not!

So what car are you thinking of raising?

PS: I smile when I see a lot of people with their new fancy cars in Nigeria and wonder how they manage to get around unless they plan their trips carefully.

+1

I think you meant unsprung weight i.e, weight not supported by the suspension (brakes, tires, wheels, suspension).

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by gbolio4(m): 6:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
Siena:

After reading this, I didn't read anything else on the thread. There was just no need to wink

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by seal777(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2012
I tried it on my Camry 99 V6, It took me just 5 mins of test drive to get them removed and new shock absorbers fixed, Its a terrible experience but its only good for you if you are either a truck or a taxi driver.

@siena, you are spot on.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
Wallie:

+1

I think you meant unsprung weight i.e, weight not supported by the suspension (brakes, tires, wheels, suspension).

You are right, thanks for correcting my oversight.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by babyboy3(m): 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
our situation is somewhat different and probably happened due to a combination of any of the factors listed below:

1. you increased the overall diameter of the wheel + tire when compared to OEM
2. your tire thread design is prone to drifting
3. you need new suspension especially dampers
4. you increased the weight of the tire/wheel combination which made your OEM suspension show its age
5. you needed an alignment which you probably got when you replaced the suspension

I dont know what your talking about but nothing was wrong with my suspension and where I bought wheels (Ripspeed) they told me that to have a better feel of the car most especially on the motorway I would have to lower the car and they ordered me a set of sport springs! when I said drifting I dont really mean drift as in sliding through corners but because the height of the car the faster I go the more it seems like its swerving because of the air flowing under the car, a week later I took my car back and they put on the new springs which lowered the height of the car.

Now a friend of mine bought a brand new Mercedes C200 from Mercedes back in 2003 which came with a 15inc rims and one of the upgrades he wanted was the wheels to C 32 AMG which were 18inc rims which he paid an extra 400 pounds (plus VAT) and they told him that he would have to drop the height of the car a little just for his safety but they told him that they don't do modification so he took it to a specialist.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 8:21pm On Feb 16, 2012
baby-boy:

I dont know what your talking about but nothing was wrong with my suspension and where I bought wheels (Ripspeed) they told me that to have a better feel of the car most especially on the motorway I would have to lower the car and they ordered me a set of sport springs! when I said drifting I dont really mean drift as in sliding through corners but because the height of the car the faster I go the more it seems like its swerving because of the air flowing under the car,  a week later I took my car back and they put on the new springs which lowered the height of the car.

Now a friend of mine bought a brand new Mercedes C200 from Mercedes back in 2003 which came with a 15inc rims and  one of the upgrades he wanted was the wheels to C 32 AMG which were 18inc rims which he paid an extra 400 pounds (plus VAT) and they told him that he would have to drop the height of the car a little just for his safety but they told him that they don't do modification so he took it to a specialist.

They recommended that you and your friend drop the car because the new wheel increased the overall tire size. Whenever you change your wheel size, you also have to change your tire sidewall size to keep the overall wheel + tire size almost the same; otherwise, the car will be higher and your speedometer will be off.

Here an example:

Assuming your BMW 320i came with tire size 195/65-14

To get the overall size, you have to perform the following calculation:
((Width/25.4) x Sidewall Percentage)x2
((195/25.4) X 65%) X 2) = 9.9 inches

Overall size = 9.9 + 14 rim = 23.9 inches

If you upgrade the wheel size to 17 inches without changing the tire diameter

For example 195/65-17 Then your overall size will change drastically
((195/25.4)X 65%) X 2) = 9.9

Overall size  = 9.9+17 = 26.9 inches

Dropping the car in this scenario will try to counter the extra 3 inches in height that you gained by upgrading the wheel.

By the way, a proper tire size would have been something like 225/45-17 if it would fit and your ride height would have even dropped a couple of inches.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for that 'CarEffect' 702 lecture, Siena. Wow! that was pretty enlightening. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by icemann(m): 9:42pm On Feb 16, 2012
Yet to hear someone say stuff  about
1.Traction
2.Base width
3.Tire width
4. Axle Angle

In relation to a lift.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by bebrief(m): 9:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
@OP, I think one can justifiably raise the base of his/her car, especially if it was bought fairly-used. For example a 2001 Ki Optima that has been used by the original buyer must have suffered suspension slack over years of use. This wuld have naturally reduced the CofG of the car, making it consume more fuel nd unfit to be driven on bad roads.

One thing you can do if you operate on a slim budget is to pad the shock with a rubber padding. Or better still you can rise the shock by adjusting the welding of the spring to a higher level. This can be done at a good mechanic workshop. However, the best option is to change the entire spring, if you can afford it.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 10:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
icemann:

Yet to hear someone say stuff  about
1.Traction
2.Base with
3.Tire width
4. Axle Angle

In relation to a lift.

See the post below.

Wallie:

Well Siena is right but the answer is not as straight forward as he pointed out!

It all depends on what your goal is. Are you going to change the handling characteristics of the car when you raise it? Sure. But does that mean it will become unsafe? It depends. You can always counter whatever effect your changes made to the car.

For an off-road vehicle, you have no choice but to raise the ride height. If done properly, the car will only become more dangerous in extreme situations. To do it properly, you might need to widen its track, change out the suspension, and/or change the tire size/width.

Also, just because something is OEM does not mean that it is the best. Car manufacturers have to make a lot of compromises based on price, intended usage, warranty, parts availability, weight, ease of replacement, etc. But you can be rest assured that when an OEM part has been tested to work with other parts in your car.

There are certain things that I’m 100% certain are not the best for an economic car. For example, brakes, tires, wheels, and suspension can certainly be improved upon.

The bottom line is that when you change out parts of your car to non-OEM spec parts, you are changing the characteristics of the car for better or worse. More is not always better when it comes to cars because it is a system.

With regards to traction, I don't think that would change except as it relates to your tire and suspension choice, and to the extent you need an alignment. If you have too much negative or positive camber, you might not have enough tire ground contact.

The braking will also change as your car will pitch, roll and dip more when you step on the brakes but going with a suspension kit instead of just springs can solve that. I guess I also left out changes to the suspension geometry. With a lift, you will probably need to re-align the wheels to get the right camber, caster and toe.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Wallie(m): 10:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
bebrief:

@OP, I think one can justifiably raise the base of his/her car, especially if it was bought fairly-used. For example a 2001 Ki Optima that has been used by the original buyer must have suffered suspension slack over years of use. This wuld have naturally reduced the CofG of the car, making it consume more fuel nd unfit to be driven on bad roads.

One thing you can do if you operate on a slim budget is to pad the shock with a rubber padding. Or better still you can rise the shock by adjusting the welding of the spring to a higher level. This can be done at a good mechanic workshop. However, the best option is to change the entire spring, if you can afford it.

Only the first sentence of what you said is correct. Everything else is either wrong or playing with death.
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
bebrief:

Grinding off the welded spring platform, and welding it back to the strut, say 2" higher up. Welding a spring platform to a tube with an oil or gas-filled damper. If that gets hot enough, the ram could actually explode, and the "mechanic" would likely get one heck of a shock. What do you do about the damper ram? With the car's stock height, at full rebound, the ram is at its maximum extended length. What do you think the results would be, if you raise the spring platform by 2"? You hit a pothole at even moderate speed, there's no rebound left!

This is when the car takes an excursion off-road. The wheels will literally leave the road surface, if the car's in mid-bend when this occurs, what do you think would happen next?
Re: Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car by bebrief(m): 10:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Wallie, I have done the above on my car and I have used it very satisfactorily to travel to the east and back this Xmas.

It's either you don't understand what i'm saying or you know little or nothing bout a vehicle.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? / Range-Rover Evoque Involved In Accident In Abuja / Bus Carrying Wedding Guests Crashes Into Military Armoured Vehicle In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.