Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice (6246 Views)

Man Abandons Children In Boarding School For Eight Years / What Number Of Children Is Advisable For Average Nigerian Couples / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by kleenmum(f): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2011
Is it wise to send boys to boarding secondary schools some say it makes them togher than they should be,please advice
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by femmy2010(m): 7:14pm On Oct 01, 2011
kleenmum:

Is it wise to send boys to boarding secondary schools some say it makes them togher than they should be,please advice

It is wise to send boys to a very disciplined Boarding school.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by horny4u(f): 9:31pm On Oct 01, 2011
kleenmum:

Boys should be tough infact with serious discipline as long as they are not below 10yrs . I love those army schools. No need for sissys,
@Kleenmum
No woman no matter how great a mum she is , can teach her son how to be a MAN only other MEN will teach him this, load him with  sound moral ethics and send him out there to be  a MAN.
You cannot go soft on him , and he can not remain your little boy forever.
Its for his own good , He will fight and find his path, thats what secondary school is for, He will come back an Alfa balanced male and a pride to you.

Just my opinion

P.s Lets eradicate all MTN credit seeking men who are looking for women to feed them. Send them all to the army training ground. ( not your son o just the trend out there)
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Outstrip(f): 2:51am On Oct 02, 2011
horny4u:

Boys should be tough infact with serious discipline as long as they are not below 10yrs . I love those army schools. No need for sissys,
@Kleenmum
No woman no matter how great a mum she is , can teach her son how to be a MAN only other MEN will teach him this, load him with sound moral ethics and send him out there to be a MAN.
You cannot go soft on him , and he can not remain your little boy forever.
Its for his own good , He will fight and find his path, thats what secondary school is for, He will come back an Alfa balanced male and a pride to you.

Just my opinion

P.s Lets eradicate all MTN credit seeking men who are looking for women to feed them. Send them all to the army training ground. ( not your son o just the trend out there)

Is his father absent or is there something that the poster told you that we do not know
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 02, 2011
Nowt bad in sending boys to boarding schools but make sure it is a good one and private at that.

And about army schools, don't think its such a good idea. I'm an ex commando BTW. I wouldn't send even my enemy's son there.

Nuff said!
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by maclatunji: 9:11am On Oct 02, 2011
It is abdication of your responsibility as a parent to yank your children to boarding school for their secondary education. Hence, as far as I am concerned gender is not really the point here. Granted, some people have little choice but they should be willing to admit that they are not giving their children the best upbringing they should have.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by adonisgold: 1:20pm On Oct 02, 2011
Yeah,not boys only though, but let him start from ss1.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Outstrip(f): 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2011
maclatunji:

It is abdication of your responsibility as a parent to yank your children to boarding school for their secondary education. Hence, as far as I am concerned gender is not really the point here. Granted, some people have little choice but they should be willing to admit that they are not giving their children the best upbringing they should have.

I agree with you. I know it is a lifestyle for some people but I find it hard to wrap it around my head when someone tells me that their children are in boarding school. I just always wonder WHY? You are not the one raising your kid if he is in boarding school. Period. No matter how hard you try to make it seem that that is not the case.When you see your kids once a month except for holidays then the other kids in the boarding school are the once raising them
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by dealordea(m): 4:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
@Op. i don't see anything bad about it as long as there is discipline but i won't advice that you send your boys to a public boarding school better you take them to more of a army command school which is only boarding. Just my opinion.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by sylve11: 9:55am On Oct 03, 2011
. . .@op
It's not matter of sending ur boy 2 boarding school dat makes him a man like most people tink, what matters most is if ur boy ready 2 be a man. Remember u'd be having two kind of a boy at the long run. . . the best or the worse. cool
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by snthesis(m): 10:22am On Oct 03, 2011
i came out an indepedent person- but then some other kids got scarred for life. The choice is yours to make.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Dokai: 10:29am On Oct 03, 2011
Nuff said!
donspony:

Nowt bad in sending boys to boarding schools but make sure it is a good one and private at that.

And about army schools, don't think its such a good idea. I'm an ex commando BTW. I wouldn't send even my enemy's son there.

Nuff said!

Could u pls explain y its not a good idea
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Serendipity: 10:34am On Oct 03, 2011
I wouldn't advise sending of your ward to boarding school at early stage.
Even if he should go, let it be from say, SS1.
At least at that staged he must have got strong background/training (including morals) from you. This will ensure that he doesn't get easily swayed or misled maybe by peer pressure while he is there.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by baslone: 10:40am On Oct 03, 2011
Old Unity schools(FGC's, etc) and Military schools(NMS, etc) are experiences I'd have loved my kids to go through.

Too bad the system has been destroyed now.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by IbroSaunks(m): 11:11am On Oct 03, 2011
i think boarding school is the first place where boys learn how to survive on their own, manage their resources and plan their time, its like their first simulation of the outside world and how to strive in it. so its a really cool idea, doesn't mean its entirely necessary though,

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by cicero(m): 11:12am On Oct 03, 2011
My children will school from home until their second year in the University
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by stagger: 11:20am On Oct 03, 2011
Once my boys are of age, they are getting shipped off to boarding school.

My first year in university was spent living among cult members. I had to start learning survival instincts I should have picked up earlier.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by whizcode: 11:56am On Oct 03, 2011
boarding school is the best.its there a boy learns how to live his life.he cannot be with his parents forever.if he does not learn there,do u expect him to start learning when he is in his university? Where it could be worse and he might be influenced negatively.federal government colleges are the best boarding schools you can ever take your child to.PRO UNITATE
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by oddy4real(m): 11:58am On Oct 03, 2011
MAYFLOWER SCHOOL IKENNE boarding school is one i would want my children to go through. it contributed to what i am today
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by exboyprince: 12:07pm On Oct 03, 2011
I went to a boardin skool, military skool to b precise & it made me who i am today. It prepared me for the challenges of dis world, i owe it all to Nigerian Military School zaria. Discipline, courage, braveness, independent, high mindedness etc, if u want ur boy to become a real man, u shld send him to a gud boardin house where he has to learn to survive in d den of hungry lions. But if u have a stubborn boy & u send him to a boardin house wit d intention of changin him, dat will b ur worst mistake becos dey end up becomin worse, my opinion.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2011
Dokai:

Could u pls explain y its not a good idea
Command may look a rosy prospect from the outside but it sure ain't. I entered as a 6-7A's student but by SS1, I was struggling with even 2 A's.

Hostels were in a dilapidated state, so bad parents were barred from ever seeing them.No windows or least window frames were as good as it got. I never in my four years stay there used a wc, a pit latrine with structural problems  having a huge gaping hole in the middle that might cave in whilst doing the shitt.

Saturday general labour day would put prisoners with hard labour terms to shame, we had to be awake by 5-6am, clean our hostels then proceed to phase 2 till as long as it took to cut huge swathes of land even a tractor would refuse.  Normally finished 11:30-1:00 pm.

What about water scarcity, so bad we hoarded buckets of water inside our lockers. Even drinking water sometimes was a miracle abi na Somalia we dey?

Concerning discipline, it was koboko or pankere. The former especially the brand new erect ones were capable of inflicting multiple wounds to your body in one fell stroke. Was a normal thing to have blood stained uniforms or day wears no questions asked. Got to a point where the pain became oblivious and I just stood there like a log of wood while the soldiers dished out the strokes even though at the end I knew my back would be an untidy mass of wounds,blisters and blood.
Soldiers drilling us and making us frog jump at silly o clock in the morning till dawn.

Long story short, by the fourth year from a model student. After repeated beatings, I became the opposite,  jumped the fence, evaded roll calls and labour, made forged fake exits letters with my typewriter, going buka restaurants (west side) after classes, cooking amongst others. In all I became most wanted with a mandate to be locked up in a guard room (mini prison )  when caught. All this were enough to get me expelled though I was never caught. Eventually got withdrawn immediately after my dad slipped through the net to see the state of our hostel and got transferred to a day command.

Got many more things but just leave it at that for now.
By all means, train your children up disciplined and tough but not to an institution run worst than a refugee camp.  But right now I detest public boarding schools.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by chinnyonwu(m): 1:49pm On Oct 03, 2011
very good to send them to boarding school, BUt a very good boarding school.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Mobsync(m): 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2011
I think you should read this. He's actually an old school mate of mine.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-648588.0.html
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Dokai: 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
donspony:

Command may look a rosy prospect from the outside but it sure ain't. I entered as a 6-7A's student but by SS1, I was struggling with even 2 A's.

Hostels were in a dilapidated state, so bad parents were barred from ever seeing them.No windows or least window frames were as good as it got. I never in my four years stay there used a wc, a pit latrine with structural problems  having a huge gaping hole in the middle that might cave in whilst doing the shitt.

Saturday general labour day would put prisoners with hard labour terms to shame, we had to be awake by 5-6am, clean our hostels then proceed to phase 2 till as long as it took to cut huge swathes of land even a tractor would refuse.  Normally finished 11:30-1:00 pm.

What about water scarcity, so bad we hoarded buckets of water inside our lockers. Even drinking water sometimes was a miracle abi na Somalia we dey?

Concerning discipline, it was koboko or pankere. The former especially the brand new erect ones were capable of inflicting multiple wounds to your body in one fell stroke. Was a normal thing to have blood stained uniforms or day wears no questions asked. Got to a point where the pain became oblivious and I just stood there like a log of wood while the soldiers dished out the strokes even though at the end I knew my back would be an untidy mass of wounds,blisters and blood.
Soldiers drilling us and making us frog jump at silly o clock in the morning till dawn.

Long story short, by the fourth year from a model student. After repeated beatings, I became the opposite,  jumped the fence, evaded roll calls and labour, made forged fake exits letters with my typewriter, going buka restaurants (west side) after classes, cooking amongst others. In all I became most wanted with a mandate to be locked up in a guard room (mini prison )  when caught. All this were enough to get me expelled though I was never caught. Eventually got withdrawn immediately after my dad slipped through the net to see the state of our hostel and got transferred to a day command.

Got many more things but just leave it at that for now.
By all means, train your children up disciplined and tough but not to an institution run worst than a refugee camp.  But right now I detest public boarding schools.

I quite understand. I went to a boarding school myself. Well with what u said i passed thru similar things ecxept drilling by soldiers. Though i didnt enjoy it at the time, i still believe it did more good than bad to me.
All said, how good are the teachers there and how long or recent did u pass out from there?
I went to a fed govt coll and i a have been thinking when the time comes on sendin them to a command school
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by ShyOne(f): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
It really just depends.

I think boarding schools should be thoroughly investigated and examined prior to sending teens - they should always be investigated as well as their staff.

If you can find a good one that is reputable with very few incidents.

Then Boarding Schools are much more preferable then private schools or public schools that aren't residential in nature.

At a very good Boarding School your offspring can mingle, rub elbows with people from ALL OVER THE WORLD. I know of a very good Christian Boarding School that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. That has produced some real leaders in the community. It doesn't use discipline that is of a physical nature so the teen would never be harmed. The Bible is used as a tool of measure WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) - Also motivation and drive are used to push the teen to achieve on levels that the child might not normally receive at home.

Field Trips out of town and out of the country are taken with all the Children - there are grants and scholarships given to offset the costs of the school. It costs $25,000.00 per year per child and depending on your income - scholarships can pay for the majority of your teen. It accepts students starting at age 12 who are in the 7th grade. I believe that next year they will only be accepting students that are age 14 in the 9th grade. It is located in the U.S. and there are African students who come from Africa to attend and the majority of their fees are paid by grant.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by 2mch(m): 3:15pm On Oct 03, 2011
Very few boarding schools are what they used to be these days. I would prefer day schools, so that the children can be closely monitored. undecided
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2011
Dokai:

I quite understand. I went to a boarding school myself. Well with what u said i passed thru similar things ecxept drilling by soldiers. Though i didnt enjoy it at the time, i still believe it did more good than bad to me.
All said, how good are the teachers there and how long or recent did u pass out from there?
I went to a fed govt coll and i a have been thinking when the time comes on sendin them to a command school

Finished 2004 though I'd left the boarding to the day command 2 years earlier (2002). Whilst the teachers were good the environment wasn't endearing to learning.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by emmatok(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2011
exboyprince:

I went to a boardin skool, military skool to b precise & it made me who i am today. It prepared me for the challenges of dis world, i owe it all to Nigerian Military School zaria. Discipline, courage, braveness, independ[b]ent, high mindedness etc, if u want your boy to become a real man, u shld send him to a gud boardin house where he has to learn to survive in d den of hungry lions. But if u have a stubborn boy & u send him to a boardin house wit d intention of changin him, dat will b your worst mistake becos dey end up becomin worse, my opinion. [/b]

Abegi Tell them well .

Most of us who went through NMS, COMMAND, AIRFORCE SCHOOL e.t.c came home rebellious.

@OP

And why stereotype boys in the first place.

Tomorrow you will come here claiming men are too soft bla bla bla.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by delpee(f): 11:53pm On Oct 03, 2011
@mobysync
I also lost a cousins daughter in Model College Kankon several years ago. She was said to have cerebral malaria at the hospital she was rushed to when she was brought home cos she could no longer talk. We were told that she took ill and was left alone in the hostel uncared for. God knows the details anyway.

@all
Point is that people should move with the times.

I attended good public boarding schools including FGC. When we tried to send my first child there becos of sentiment i think, the trauma was so much that we had to change his school after the first year. Next thing was to search for good private boarding schools with dedicated and disciplined staff though they are far more expensive. I have no regrets cos they learn a lot about life in school and are growing up to be quite independent and responsible. Parents should remember that having a child in boarding school is no reason to abdicate your responsibility of looking after your child and monitoring his progress through the teachers and school authorities.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by moremi2008(m): 12:31am On Oct 04, 2011
Please, only send your child to a private boarding schools. The horror stories from the state-run or military-run schools are horrendous. These schools have terrible healthcare facilities, poor sanitation, poor food and absolutely little no protection from bullying. I remember the day my cousin was rushed home from an FGC because a senior beat him so badly, he had cracked ribs! Many kids also go to those schools, mix with the wrong crowd and return home little criminals. Just remember that when you send your child to a boarding school you don't see him for weeks at a time and have no idea what kind of friends he keeps.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by velo10: 5:37am On Oct 04, 2011
Boarding school for boys is not bad at all. Just make a deep research into the boarding school to know if it is best appropriate for your child.

As for me, I'm certainly not considering boarding school for my daughter. The rate of lesbianism is way too high and girls are usually being initiated into the act from their boarding secondary schools.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by iice(f): 5:44am On Oct 04, 2011
If the person has a good head on the shoulders, i think it's pretty cool.  Though now schools have probably degraded i suppose.  My brothers went to an all day school, and let me say. . .the students of that school were the most terrible compared to the boarding schools. Bloody terrors lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is My Hubby Always All Over Me Oooooo? / 20 Qualities Of A Gentleman / Am I Right For Not Supporting My Friends Plan 4 Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.