Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest (18610 Views)

Guide on writing for profit using iwriter. / How Profitable Is Rental Business? / Rental Business - How Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by Seun(m): 5:11pm On Oct 03, 2011
You guys and gals have really dissected the idea, but is anyone planning to participate? Any insightful questions?
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by JayDawg: 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
Dayumm!!! Why are people so pessimistic KMT no wonder you aint got nothing of your own, for your information there shot callers in this world who make things happen, dont discourage them just cos u cant abeg.

Which business una don start sef??

Anything is possible under the sun, show me one example where proper planning and hard work didnt get results KMFT

Dude abeg carry on with your project and dont listen to these naysayers!
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 03, 2011
Seun i dont mean to discourage you but honestly the reading culture died in nigeria with the advent of yahoo and msn chat!

Students abandoned their books to make quick money thru yahoo! before we could say jack! social network sites like hi5 and subsequently facebook hit the knockout blow on our reading culture. We begin to record massive failures in waec, neco and jamb! As if that is not enough, 2go, bb and the rest of the wapchats apps hit the final nail on the coffin of reading culture in Nigeria - the result? landslide failures by our students in all the major exams!

They no longer read, they no longer research! all they do is chat! chat! chat and twit!

The reading culture is dead! All we have now is sorting culture! Even admission is now by sorting! We have a serious problem in our hands and nobody is seeing it!

If there is a way you can inculcate this library to be digital, e-compliant, wap-chat compliant and also add incentives to it, maybe it will encourage this dullard generation to read!

The idea would av been brilliant in my generation! [between 1978 and 1999]
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by aribisala0(m): 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2011
really a silly idea. is there any library any where in the world that makes money??
even those that are free are often empty.
seriously even if i figured out a way to  make it work i will just tell you like that .

GUY YOU SHARP WELL WELL
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by gbengaijot(m): 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2011
I learnt a lesson from the guy who sold over $220 million worth of books;

Lesson 1 - Sell what people want, not what they need!

Lesson 2 - Find hungry markets

Lesson 3 - Find out what they are hungry about

Lesson 4 - Satisfy their hunger.

i followed that process and i did well,
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by Seun(m): 9:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
@gbengaijiot: yeah, but what they are debating is whether or not people are hungry for books.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by aribisala0(m): 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
gbengaijot:

I learnt a lesson from the guy who sold over $220 million worth of books;

Lesson 1 - Sell what people want, not what they need!

Lesson 2 - Find hungry markets

Lesson 3 - Find out what they are hungry about

Lesson 4 - Satisfy their hunger.

i followed that process and i did well,

the sky is blue
sharks have teeth
chickens lay eggs
kofi is a common name in ghana
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2011
like is it a library, bookshop, book club(strictly for borrowing) or all. Which do you really want. I have some ideas still on this
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by Seun(m): 10:24pm On Oct 03, 2011
Strictly borrowing, ideally.
Do you think I should cancel the competition? 
No one seems to be seriously interested.
I can come back with something better.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by gbengaijot(m): 10:35pm On Oct 03, 2011
Trust me, not much Nigerians wants to bu/ready a book because they enjoy reading it. The ones that buy/read are because they are compelled to as a result of academic, career or the fact that they want to get out of poverty(the ones that read self help/financial ones).

Over the past two weeks, i have frequent the local library in my area (outside Nigeria) and i discovered that English people love reading, even for the sake of it.

Creating a library for profit is like trying to "Encourage" people to read, that is not a business, its a support group.

I believe you want to do this for profit, if thats the case, find another biz to do. Trust me, i have been in the infobiz for 5 years and i can tell from experience how quite a few Nigerians think about reading.

Seun, ask yourself, how many programmers/biz people/ that you know that read except you? The others would prefer to attend computer schools, business seminars etc to listen rather than read.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 11:49pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ok, cancel it officially. But if I were you, I'd keep to it and get peoples ideas, afterall if they dont meet your expectations, you can keep your money because at the end of the day only ideas that interest you will win eventually. As an entrepreneur, I no ideas are business not even capital. Many people on here are ignorant. There has to be ways of bringing back the reading culture & especially now there is massive failure in ssce, you can create pannick on parents by makin them make the children read from young age - the idea to do so is what you are looking for. The idea is to get them get these books and thats where your primary concern stops. Right now, whisper to a parent that this is what will make his/her child pass and he/SHE runs with you. Tell a parent that this costly book will make the child pass english period. They will rent it and God have mercy if the child manages to pass after reading it. Lol. Remember publicity will be essential.
Nigerians baffle me, so when something is dead, we shld abandon/dump it? So people will keep failing waec/neco? Lmfao. Tell me one thing that is dead in America or developed nations apart from Myspace? Lol. Now if it were to be in nigeria, myspace would still be king, but now we have facebook and when facebook was acting like they were the sh+t, twitter sprung up - all the same objective but different models - because of ideas/innovations. Now you got this site and there is no competition, nobody is thinking, how can I beat this guy but if it were to be in america you'd be off since (just joking oh). Innovation is alien to Nigeria. The fact is people who are creative in Nigeria dont have financial access while dundees do. Me I believe now is the best time to cake off this industry due to failures in exam and b4 people realize their folly you are like mtn in the biz, so get the idea, make it big and invest in it.
However, considering making it a library fully equipped with high tech with monthly fees by subscribers - targeted on parents directly will be better on the side of profitabilty so the income will be 2 way; afterall macklean or so died before and is leading today - marketing, etc

Ooooops, I talk long oh, oya pass me the bucks
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 04, 2011
I don't want the money but let me propose some things:
1. Let your libraries have book collections (fiction, non-fiction, academic, etc). Categorize them into the respective genres or categories (african writers, etc)
2. Have audio books
3. Have movie collections
4. Have computers and access to the internet that will make the library a place of choice for people to come
5. Have photocopiers, faxes, etc ( almost like a one stop shop for students or professionals who want to photocopy parts of the books they need the material for
6. Have a yearly/monthly subscription fee
7. For some of those other services eg fax/photocopy, you can make the costs as minimal as possible or you can just incorporate everything into the cost of the yearly/monthly subscription fee
8. Have private rooms where people can book/hire for private lessons or discussions
9. Make the libraries look as professional and fun as possible. Trust me, you don't only want to attract students. You want to attract professionals as well who may be taking courses or exams.
10. Have a children's spot stocked with children's books and an education friendly environment for children. Trust me when parents see it, they'll want to make their children read by force
11. Encourage the organizing of activities, eg book readings, meetings for aspiring novelists, outreaches to communities to make them come to the libraries, etc
12. Ensure you have the database of all members. Give them electronic library cards. You can probably have plans, e'g family, student, etc
13. You can allow books to be lent for a period of up to 2 weeks and movies, maybe 2 days to 1 week.

Finally, you'll need to be up to date with books (latest and otherwise) as this is what will make a good library

The only problem I foresee is people borrowing books and not returning them or movies and not returning them. If there was a credit system where one can trace people with their credit cards, it would have been ok but well, i guess you can always work around it.

I hope this gives you the ideas you need. It would be nice to have a chain of working libraries in naija. And pls don't cancel the competition. or you can do another one. We really need our people to get creative and start putting heads together. You can up the money sha for more motivation

cheers

1 Like

Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 3:15am On Oct 04, 2011
^^ see am. Exactly what I was saying. Ideas have started rolling in from smart heads and what dude has up there is worth good money. Donn't mind dull headed people who only feed from government money. And I was playin with the money oh,  Maybe I forgot to add lol. But if you throw it my way - extra buck for party.
I still have other ideas but I will not throw it here to be hijacked by vultures lol
* for returning of the books and other items, let's take it that business have risks and thats the risk. However, you can properly document the people, ask for notable id and when you grow bigger you can formulate your law that failure to get the book back within the time fram will attract a court action -when you grow bigger oh
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by kcjazz(m): 3:30am On Oct 04, 2011
Returning the books might not be an issue if well researched, how did Nollywood video rentals get folks to return their movies and what could be learnt from that? Seun are we still on, I will mail you my thoughts and strategy, there is a market yet untouched
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by LagBlogger(m): 4:28am On Oct 04, 2011
@Seun

Don't Cancel the competition, i am interested.

@ All the pessimists

When you are done pouring cold water on someone's idea take time to reflect on these;

1. When Raymond Dokpesi wanted to introduce AIT and 24 hours programming, he was criticized and told all manner of stuff by naysayers (it won't work, most people would be at work or in school in the morning, people will be asleep at night), what do we have today?

2. A Canadian Entrepreneur in 1979 who thought of setting up an air balloon business was scuffed, but guess what his business model was so successful many companies now use air balloons for promoting their businesses.

3. The guy of Parafina books resigned from a lucrative bank job to start publishing novels, guess what (people said Nigerians don't read books), today he has proved them wrong.

4. Ben Bruce approached banks to grant him a loan to set up silverbird Galleria. They declined, today they are running after him for deposits.

Seun Carry on, Like a wise man once said people's opinion is only restricted to what they know and understand, only proof of what we say carries weight, may be the reason some (I didn't say all) Nigerians don't read books is because they don't have libraries that will offer them premium books they can read at affordable prices.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by aribisala0(m): 5:24am On Oct 04, 2011
it is NOT true nigerians do not read books they just don't like to pay.
we are talking about people who would rather read free newspapers.

of course there are countless examples of people who prove the naysayers wrong. they do it by action NOT words. i will be delighted to be proven wrong in this case but you are NOT going to do it on nairaland.com and not by some cheap ploy of "brain tapping".

i think it is derisory to offer 60000 naira to adults for business ideas maybe you should try secondary schools.

nigerians are brimming with ideas which they would rather take to the grave than give away for a bowl of pottage
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by LagBlogger(m): 8:23am On Oct 04, 2011
@aribisala what are u driving at?
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 8:52am On Oct 04, 2011
1. 60,000 is too cheap for the innovative mind you are looking for.

2. 14 days are too few to come up with a workable plan. Especially when you've asked the intending participant to consider other business models. The business models of Netflix have been re-developed and refined for years, yet you want a serious mind to study that within a fortnight.

3. Blockbuster have closed down over 800 stores if I remember the numbers correctly. They've had to re-model and re-think their business model. You are about to start what they are closing. If you really have the slightest idea about Blockbuster, Amazon, Netflix, you will know that,

4. The business idea is faulty. I believe you are emotionally attached and cannot draw a fine line between what you like to do and what will work because,

6. It is not futuristic. One of the basics of a proper idea is it's longevity. The digital age will eventually catch up and wipe out the era of books. If you choose to preserve it, then go ahead and start a charity. If you want to do business, you have to be decisive.

7. I do not see any future for the idea and for that reason, I'm out!   wink (Dragon's den!)
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2011
You talked about Netflix that doubled their price few months ago. Guess if it was unsuccessful nobody would have cared but they got over 48000 comments on their page with people very angry. You said books are not futuristic but we still have best selling books world over. Go to amazon and check stats for their best selling paperback, compare it with digital. Not everybody is ready to read electronically and like I said the target is on parents not the kids. The parents will make the effort to get these books for their kids, many people are willing to read in universities - poor libraries are jam-packed during exams. I can keep saying but I dont want some people hijacking this idea although I don't intend using it. I know religious middle aged people read religious books and all and don't care about new tech. The poster above is just a job material so he is not built for thinking & who says the timing is short. Its just about getting original ideas within the shortest time frame,  Just a different world with different people. Post this on yahoo answers or huffingtonpost and you will see innovative reactions. Back to sleepThe parents will make the effort to get these books for their kids, many people are willling to read in universities - poor libraries are jampacked during exams. I can keep saying but I dont want some people hijacking this idea although I dont intend using it. I know religious middle aged people read religious books and all and dont care about new tech. The poster above is just a job material so he is not built for thinking & who says the timing is short. Its just about gettin original ideas within the shortest time frame,  Just a different world with different people. Post this on yahoo answers or huffingtonpost and you will see innovative reactions.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by LearnBook: 10:12am On Oct 04, 2011
Here are my thoughts:

I would focus on Print on Demand (POD). So the chains will print the books on the spot as distributing books is hard in Nigeria. For my sins, this is what my fledging start up the African Virtual School has been battling with for some time now - Our books are available on Amazon. Here is an example of one, Olabisi's Party and other stories http://www.amazon.com/Olabisis-Party-Other-Stories-African/dp/0955759676/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317719338&sr=8-2 and here is an example of another, a maths book for JSS pupils http://www.amazon.com/African-Virtual-School-Maths-Book/dp/0955759633/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317719338&sr=8-1.

A second idea might be to have a Kindle Lending Club, may be cheaper in the long run than physical books.

1 Like

Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
Mr. Globe:
You talked about Netflix that doubled their price few months ago. Guess if it was unseccessful nobody would have cared but they got over 48000 comments on their page with people very angry. You said books are not futuristic but we still have best selling books world over. Go to amazon and check stats for their best selling paperback, compare it with digital. Not everybody is ready to read electronically and like I said the target is on parents not the kids. The parents will make the effort to get these books for their kids, many people are willling to read in universities - poor libraries are jampacked during exams. I can keep saying but I dont want some people hijacking this idea although I dont intend using it. I know religious middle aged people read religious books and all and dont care about new tech. The poster above is just a job material so he is not built for thinking & who says the timing is short. Its just about gettin original ideas within the shortest time frame,  Just a different world with different people. Post this on yahoo answers or huffingtonpost and you will see innovative reactions. Back to sleepThe parents will make the effort to get these books for their kids, many people are willling to read in universities - poor libraries are jampacked during exams. I can keep saying but I dont want some people hijacking this idea although I dont intend using it. I know religious middle aged people read religious books and all and dont care about new tech. The poster above is just a job material so he is not built for thinking & who says the timing is short. Its just about gettin original ideas within the shortest time frame,  Just a different world with different people. Post this on yahoo answers or huffingtonpost and you will see innovative reactions. Back to sleep

The reasons people go out of business: One major reason is - Many people "HOPE" that their idea will be big. . . Rather than "KNOWING" that their idea will will work. It's amazing how you think I am ignorant when you haven't posted anything worth believing in.

What's your target market? . . . Parents.
How many parents do you know personally that go to Libraries to read books? Have you done a market survey to find out how many parents will use your product? Definitely kids are not interested so where does that leave you? You keep saying the Parents will do this and the Parents will do that. . How do you know they will? Let me give a little tip gentleman. You cannot build an idea into a big one without asking an important question. . . What option do my prospective customers have?

How much would it cost? N100, N200, N500? Why would anyone pay N100 to rent a book when they can buy and own a pirated book from Yaba for just a few more hundreds? Why would anyone rent a book when they can buy an own one in digital copy for "FREE" sometimes on Amazon? Why would anyone rent a book from you when they can find PDF copies of the same book downloaded from torrent search engine?

Middle aged people don't care about new tech:
How do you know? Is this because they haven't tried? Years ago, someone could have convinced you middle aged people don't care about a mobile phone. If you give a kindle to middle aged person, show them how to use it, are you telling me they will pass and choose the library instead? If so how many will? Statistics, numbers. . . . Is this what you based the longevity of the company on? On the hope that middle aged people will not like the digital way. You are talking rubbish.

Universities:
How many universities use books outside their curriculum? In this day of handouts. How many Lecturers encourage their students to read outside the curriculum? 80% of University students graduate will lower than 2-1. Most of the 80% are not readers. They stick to their handouts and forget the rest. So you hoping that the few 20% will come strolling into your library to read a book and this will give you your desired profit that sustains the company.

Locations/Outlets
Where do you locate your library? Inside Unilag? LASU? How many outlets do you intend to open up with N1m? Why would anyone spend nearly N500 on transport to get to your outlet when they can download and own that same book for for £4?

Massive companies like Amazon are looking forwards. Even newspapers are feeling the pinch. Most newspapers in the world are experiencing declining revenues from the sale of print. Most of them are going for the option of online subscription.

http://www.economist.com/node/21528611

"In the first five months of this year sales of consumer e-books in America overtook those from adult hardback books. Just a year earlier hardbacks had been worth more than three times as much as e-books, according to the Association of American Publishers. Amazon now sells more copies of e-books than paper books. The drift to digits will speed up as bookshops close. Borders, once a retail behemoth, is liquidating all of its American stores".

you tried to compare Amazon with a library without considering the all important factor. Availability! Amazon is reachable by all and sundry without having to leave your front door. The don't have to worry about overhead from stores, staff and every other cost associate with running a library and that there is your biggest competitor. Try beat them.

The idea is DOA.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2011
points raised
Parents - I never meant parents are the ones to read the book. What I meant was to spur parents to rent these books for their kids. The way to do this is marketing and I wont disclose any. No kid wants to buy a book/rent but when you target your market on parents who still have their kids in school and want them to pass, sell the idea to them and they will run after you. Take for instance, get different english textbook from whats in the market and impress it on parents to get these textbooks(marketing), tell em its american standard (consider nigerians are gullible) and will make their kids pass waec, jssce etc many will buy, some who dont have the money will rent and shovel it on their kids.gerians are gullible) and will make their kids pass waec, jssce etc many will buy, some who dont have the money will rent and shovel it on their kids.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 2:19pm On Oct 04, 2011
, Your work then is to find parents where they are to register. Open shop in a university area that has secondary and primary schools. Print trickery fliers meet the parents etc.
2 why were people making and are still making money from film renting in nigeria even when you can buy such films for was it 50 naira - even with them not being organised? I dont watch those films but I know that should be the open market. Do you think folks are happy with the dumping of used books and consumation of spaces in their homes? Why not just rent it and read and pass and move over.
3. Libraries in my UNI in naija were and are always jampacked. With no fan or ac. Poeple have library cards and people went as early as possible to get space and it has not changed. Alternative, ways jampacked. With no fan or ac. Poeple have library cards and people went as early as possible to get space and it has not changed. Alternative,
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 2:32pm On Oct 04, 2011
I dont even get your points there.
3. How many nigerians have access to e-readers? Why do pastors keep churning out books everyday if there is no market. The idea of mobile phone is entirely different from those kindle devices. Talking about the future so you think even 5 percent of nigerians will embrace e-reader by 2020? Dont fall to all gimmicks they use to sell products by telling you ebooks sell more than paperback in America. Fat lie. Head over to amazon and compare sales of their paperbacks wil ebooks. Middle aged people will always cherish books anyday. Its not their generation. Akin to country music. Their market? Religious books, inspiration books, s.ex, relationships etc. And what the heck, why dont I get a book for cheaper price while am driving back for work and return it or even buy if I like than buy it, dont like and dump at home. Dont just open shop and go to sleep. Public libraries still do well in America and then attract girls too and boys will follow like bees. So far as there are schools, this will work I dont even get your points there.
3. How many nigerians have access to e-readers? Why do pastors keep churning out books everyday if there is no market. The idea of mobile phone is entirely different from those kindle devices. Talking about the future so you think even 5 percent of nigerians will embrace e-reader by 2020? Dont fall to all gimmicks they use to sell products by telling you ebooks sell more than paperback in America. Fat lie. Head over to amazon and compare sales of their paperbacks wil ebooks. Middle aged people will always cherish books anyday. Its not their generation. Akin to country music. Their market? Religious books, inspiration books, s.ex, relationships etc. And what the heck, why dont I get a book for cheaper price while am driving back for work and return it or even buy if I like than buy it, dont like and dump at home. Dont just open shop and go to sleep. Public libraries still do well in America and then attract girls too and boys will follow like bees. So far as there are schools, this will work
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 2:40pm On Oct 04, 2011
My issues are not with whether kids will or will not read. Or whether Parents will or will not encourage their kids to read. My issue is why would they choose you as the source of books when there are options?

Don't act like kids don't already read now. Don't act like parents don't already buy books for their kids. Most Nigerian students have their curriculum drawn off indigenous books not foreign authors. So which indigenous author will allow a library buy their books, keep on a shelf and make money off it without paying royalty. Licensing issues. How much will you pay the authors? How can you convince an author that sales revenue from books sales is obsolete and meagre compared to book rental revenue. Or you didn't think about that?

So how much you will pay the author will go a long way in determining how much you charge per rental. How can you maintain a balance and keep all parties happy? While you are busy running a charity and spending a fortune on advertising, I have opened an online store, invited Nigerian authors to sell encrypted copies of their books online, saving huge money in publishing, launching and advertising. What's more these e-books cost a fraction of the books you've spent a fortune acquiring in your charity library.

In 2 years, you are out of business.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 3:01pm On Oct 04, 2011
In 2005, a Nokia 3310 with a fully functional Econnet SIM card cost N40,000. 2011- 6 years later how much will you get a 3310? If you buy it for N1000, you should be shot. Calculate the percentage depreciation. Gentleman, just like everything changes, an entrepreneur who either ignores or underestimates the digital age is already bound to fail.

By 2020, the first Kindle ever made will be available on ebay for $1. The first ipad ever made will be available for $10. Just like mobile phones proliferate the place now in Nigeria, e-readers and tablets will be available like Kerosine. In 2020, more than 40% of Nigerians will be incredibly, technologically aware. All kids will have mobile phones. A laptop will be extinct with the very first quad-core processor tablet being launched later this year. What do you think the world will be up to by 2020? The world is already thinking of commercializing the first transparent and flexible OLED monitor and flexible TV screen.

The content does not change, it's the medium of carrying the content that changes. It's like you telling me a middle aged person will never buy a CD player because their favourite country music is on a cassette player. The book remains the book. The pages will not change, they will just not be available in paper backs. And if you in 2012, think that paper backs are the future then good luck to you.

Many people in the UK don't take their Bibles to church any-more. It's available on anything mobile you can lay your hands on. You will buy different versions and it still does not increase the weight of your mobile, neither does it change the content.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nah, in two years, I've grown the business. How many Nigerians use the internet? How many literate people do we have in Nigeria? And since the book culture has not died with the inventors of internet, you think it will die. The fact is many people fall to hearsay in naija easily and give up. You hear books are not selling no more and you jump in the thought. How many sales of the ebook have you sold online? Am thinking, how would I even buy a fiction book in ebook format? Lmao. I bet you will NEVER enjoy reading it. There is a difference between professional and indigenous books (you need them)- even if I fall into the tot that I will not be allowed to rent indeginous books what about during projects, assignments and seminars, bet you need all books and bro go to abebooks.com, textbooks.com and see how much they are caking. I market for them online and during august, sales are out the roof. And they tell you ebooks sell more,  Lmao - marketing. Even used books sell like bread. And this are the people that invented, use and own the net. Bro the truth is marketing died in Nigeria and business died with it.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 3:34pm On Oct 04, 2011
OH really, then you mean we will all be in heaven by 2020. Good look but books will always remain books to heaven. 2020 is just 9 yrs from now. Ereaders have NOT affected best selling publishers from making their sales. What will happen is new ipad will come that will replace Ipad 2 but NOT books. Publishers will still be around by 2020 and their sales will not reduce. Its just better because they will earn from both sides. Remeber, not everybody fancies and uses phones for that matter talk more of ereaders- Kanye west. Guy get links, support these your pessimisms. I will get a million when am off this
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 4:12pm On Oct 04, 2011
Mr. Globe:

Nah, in two years, ve grown the bizzness. You people dont kill me. How many Nigerians use the internet? How many literate people do we have in Nigeria? And since the book culture has not died with the inventors of internet, you think it will die. The fact is many people fall to hearsay in naija easily and give up. You hear books are not selling no more and you jump in the thought. How many sales of the ebook have you sold online? Am thinking, how would I even buy a fiction book in ebook format? Lmao. I bet you will NEVER enjoy reading it. There is a difference between professional and indeginous books (you need them)- even if I fall into the tot that I will not be allowed to rent indeginous books what about during projects, assignments and seminars, bet you need all books and bro go to abebooks.com, textbooks.com and see how much they are caking. I market for them online and during august, sales are out the roof. And they tell you ebooks sell more, Lmao - marketing. Even used books sell like bread. And this are the people that invented, use and own the net. Bro the truth is marketing died in nigeria and business died with it

Why do you think Nigerians don't use the internet? What is the primary factor? Are these factors likely to change? If/When they change, how does it affect my business? These are more crucial questions to me than all you are typing. I know the answer to these questions. You don't.

Secondly . . I am a business man and only the figures interest me. Give me the 2010 financial statements of abebooks.com and textbooks.com and then produce the financial statements for when they started up. Then we will have a conversation as to how much they are "caking" . . . I only do figures mate.

You market for them, give us sales figures. Let us know how the figures went through the roof. I have not told you Ebooks have taken over. . . I am telling you Ebooks will be taking over. Many books still sell. I still bought a book this week. The paper back however is going to die, it's inevitable.

Go to the American Association of Publishers website and read their publications of the growth of the ebook and tell me if you are not naive starting a library in this age.

Excerpt from AAP.

"E-books grew a dramatic +164.8 percent in December 2010 vs the previous year ($49.5 Million vs $18.7M). In the AAP’s ninth year of tracking this category, E-books once again increased significantly on an annual basis, up +164.4 percent for 2010 vs 2009 ($441.3M vs $166.9M). E-book sales represented 8.32 percent of the trade book market in 2010 vs 3.20 percent the previous year"

"Books on other digital platforms also experienced healthy sales growth. For December 2010, Downloaded Audio Books increased +56.7 percent to $8.9M and Physical Audio Books increased +34.5 percent to $15.8M. For the calendar year, Downloaded Audio Books sales rose by +38.8 percent to $81.9M (vs $59.0M in 2009), while Physical Audio Books fell 6.3 percent, at $137.3M for 2010 vs $146.5M for the previous year."

Excerpt from publishingperspective.com on a survey conducted by the Book Industry Study Group.

The BISG’s “Survey of Consumer Attitudes Toward E-Book Reading” consists of three surveys taken over the course of nine months. The most recent findings and their implications for the industry include:

. . . . . Thirty-seven percent of e-book buyers bought their first digital book within the last six months. Because so many consumers are only beginning to develop the habit of buying e-books, publishers have an opportunity to shape expectations about such things as pricing and the timing of digital releases.

. . . . . . Asked what they would do if the e-book version of their favorite author’s title was not available at the same time as the hardcover, 32 percent said they would wait to buy the ebook, and 21 percent said they’d buy the hardcover,

It would be extremely foolish for any smart entrepreneur to ignore figures like these and hold on "HOPE" and "LOVE OF PAPER BACK" rather than the reality.
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by kodewrita(m): 4:14pm On Oct 04, 2011
paper vs ebook
oil vs solar.

the tribal wars continue,
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by nateevs(m): 4:19pm On Oct 04, 2011
Mr. Globe:

OH really, then you mean we will all be in heaven by 2020. Good look but books will always remain books to heaven. 2020 is just 9 yrs from now. Ereaders have NOT affected best selling publishers from making their sales. What will happen is new ipad will come that will replace Ipad 2 but NOT books. Publishers will still be around by 2020 and their sales will not reduce. Its just better because they will earn from both sides. Remeber, not everybody fancies and uses phones for that matter talk more of ereaders- Kanye west. Guy get links, support these your pessimisms. I will get a million when am off this

How old are E-readers? How many E-readers have been sold and how have they taken over 10% of the book market is a short period and you are here under-estimating the next 9 years. "Just 9 years from now" . . . Imagine you marketing yourself as a business development manager. You will actually advice your investors to put money in a declining market when the figures are there to show?
Re: For-Profit Library (Media Rental) Business Strategy Essay Contest by MrGlobe(m): 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2011
do some google search and see the percentage of people that use internet in nigeria. Now I never said it would never improve but what I said is it will NEVER touch book sales. Check new york times best sellers and see how many books are selling. The world is not Nigeria, they never dump anything. People are still publishing books everyday. Celebrities are getting books out daily and its selling. DONT FALL TO GIMMICK STATS of Ereaders, those are marketing. They are sponsored. I always tell you to compare sales on amazon. I will open another thread where we can talk this and get you the facts. Book/music/movie renting/distribution is a big untapped market in nigeria.ing. People are still publishing books everyday. Celebrities are getting books out daily and its selling. DONT FALL TO GIMMICK STATS of Ereaders, those are marketing. They are sponsored. I always tell you to compare sales on amazon. I will open another thread where we can talk this and get you the facts. Book/music/movie renting/distribution is a big untapped market in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dangote Inaugurates Multi Billion Naira Rice Processing Plant In Jigawa / Naira Rises To 217 Against Dollar / Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.