Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? (6744 Views)

The Importance Of Courtship Before Marriage By Emeka Nobis / Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? / What Are The Issues You Discuss During Courtship ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 27, 2009
It depends on how long it takes to know each other properly.

As as for the people talking about familiarity and novelty, I think familiarity is exactly what the couple needs. After marriage, unknown things will b egin to unfold, and the earlier the couple learns about stuff like this (I mean before marriage), the better.

I heard about this guy who got married and then realised that his wife drooled when she slept. No comment.

Know each other very well, that's the best thing. Not every couple has equal amount of time for each other, so there isn't a standard amount of months or years.
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by biina: 7:18pm On Mar 27, 2009
It all depends on the courtship process. If you are the type that likes a 'passive' courtship in which you learn about your partner as a bye-product of the time you spend together, then you will likely need a length of time to get to know him/her. On the other hand, if you know what you are looking for, and actively interact with your partner towards determining if he/she is who you are looking for, then you would need less time and could be clear on your position in just a few months.

Irrespective of the length of time of courtship, there is always a side of your partner that you would see only after the marital vows. Courtship will never give you full disclosure.
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by minniepoe(f): 1:20pm On Mar 30, 2009
length of courtship is not a determinant factor for a successful marraige. The success of a marriage depends on a whole lot of things. But the courtship period is meant to be a period of knowimg each other.

long or short courtships might be as a reason of ages. That is to say when you meet your spouse at a very yound age it could lead to long courtship and when the reverse is the case then it could lead to short courtship.
I courted my husband for close to 8 years. I was about 17+ when i met him and i couldnt have gotten married at that age. Though ours was based on friendship then as we grew older it blossomed.
Though it is advisable that both individual involved should get to know each older well before deciding marriage.
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by mrsb(f): 4:57pm On May 13, 2009
I would say that it depends on the individuals. I was with my hubby for 10 years before we got married which I think was a bit too long but we had family issues to work out undecided.

My close friend met someone only 18 months ago, within 6 months they were married and they have now had their 1st baby and they are really happy!!!

Just go with gut instinct,
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 11:17am On Jun 01, 2009
mrsb:

I would say that it depends on the individuals. I was with my hubby for 10 years before we got married which I think was a bit too long but we had family issues to work out undecided.

My close friend met someone only 18 months ago, within 6 months they were married and they have now had their 1st baby and they are really happy!!!

Just go with gut instinct,

Not a good example.

They are happy after 18 months, and so what?

Wait till after 10 years and then let us know how they are doing, then we will qualify the example.
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by trimandtrendy(f): 7:15pm On Jun 01, 2009
i dunno sha. Me i believe in long courtship but finaly i think it depends on God o
Re: Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sagamite:

Not a good example.

They are happy after 18 months, and so what?

Wait till after 10 years and then let us know how they are doing, then we will qualify the example.
I concur.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chie! Children Of Nowadays (i Am Shocked To The Bone Narrow) Mature Response Pls / Google Celebrates Women's Day With Interactive Doodles On #herstoryourstory / Twin Baby Names Of Boys And Girls With Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.