Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed (5423 Views)

Shocking Facts Of Pistorius' Murder Case / Pictures Of Nigerian Roadside Prostitutes In Italy / Amanda Knox Convicted Of Murder! ! ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Jenny20(f): 8:56pm On Oct 03, 2011
Breaking News: Amanda knox and Raffeale solllecito Acquitted

(CBS/AP)  Last Updated 3:55 p.m. ET
PERUGIA, Italy - American student Amanda Knox, who was convicted by an Italian court for the 2007 murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher, was acquitted today by an appeals court.

Her murder conviction in the 2007 slaying of her roommate Meredith Kercher was thrown out by the jury, and she was ordered immediately released from prison.

Knox collapsed in tears after the verdict was read out Monday.

Her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also found not guilty.

Knox and Sollecito had been convicted in 2009 of sexually assaulting and murdering Kercher, who was stabbed to death in her bedroom. She was found in a pool of blood and covered by a duvet the following day.

Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison, Sollecito to 25. Also convicted in separate proceedings was Rudy Hermann Guede, an Ivorian man. They all denied wrongdoing.

Earlier Monday, as hundreds of reporters and cameras filled the underground, frescoed courtroom, Knox tearfully told the Italian appeals court she did not kill her British roommate, pleading for the court to free her so she can return to the United States after four years behind bars. The court began deliberations moments later.

Knox frequently paused for breath and fought back tears as she spoke in Italian to the six members of the jury and two judges in a packed courtroom, but managed to maintain her composure during the 10-minute address.

"I've lost a friend in the worst, most brutal, most inexplicable way possible," she said of the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher, a 21-year-old Briton who shared an apartment with Knox when they were both students in Perugia. "I'm paying with my life for things that I didn't do."

"She had her bedroom next to mine, she was killed in our own apartment. If I had been there that night, I would be dead," Knox said. "But I was not there."

"I did not kill. I did not violation. I did not steal. I wasn't there. I wasn't there at the crime," Knox said.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by deols(f): 9:08pm On Oct 03, 2011
wow! dats amazing!!!!!! smiley smiley
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by tunnytox(m): 9:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
So who killed Meredith Kercher? was she murdered only by Guede?
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by manmustwac(m): 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2011
my gut instinct tells me she got away with murder angry angry cry cry
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by blackmann(m): 9:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
manmustwac:

my gut instinct tells me she got away with murder angry angry cry cry

something tells me she knows what happened, but might not be the one that did the actual killing. . . . .and knowing what the american press is, she will turn into some sort of cult hero once she sets foot on american soil. books deals, interviews, etc will start pouring in for her story and her life in jail. the American press can be damn pathetic atimes. no one will think twice about the poor girl whose life was lost that night.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by morpheus24: 9:47pm On Oct 03, 2011
Oyinbo high class will always protect Oyinbo high class and the only remaining victim is the crack head Ivorian
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by nolongTing: 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2011
wow! I am surprised, I thought she didn't stand a chance; well, she can recoup the court costs by selling her story to Hollywood and Guede? Oh well he will rot in jail  smiley
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Jenny20(f): 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2011
The truth is that no one knows for sure what happened. So it doesn't make sense for any of us to judge. If she was found not guilty/innocent we'll have to accept it.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by dayokanu(m): 10:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
Well lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Jenny20(f): 10:15pm On Oct 03, 2011
Considering the evidence against Amanda was tainted by a prosecution that wanted to save face.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by pendo89(f): 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2011
Wow!

was following this befor I got caught up and 4got.
Well well
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by SisiKill1: 10:25pm On Oct 03, 2011
Amanda Knox's Schedule for the next year or two

1) Make the Morning talk show circuit round- Good Morning America, Today's Show, Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper, The Early Show, Live with Regis and Kelly, The View.

2) Make the Late Night talk show circuit round - Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, Carson Daly, The Daily show, The Colbert Report

3) Write a Book (This will be trigger another round of talkshow runs)

4) The Book will be turned into a made for TV movie (with a C-List  actress. . . perhaps someone from GLEE playing Amanda)

5) The Made for TV movie will lead to an off Broadway show

6) Because of the success of the Broadway show, Hollywood will come-a-knocking (Dakota Fanning will be cast as Amanda Knox)

7) K-Mart or Walmart or Target will tap her to design their next line of Duvets (seeing as she found her dead friend under a duvet)

8 ) She will become an inspirational speaker and start giving speeches at schools

9) She will write a book based on her experience after the trial (at this point, no one really cares. . .they've moved on to the next "IN" person. A school 12 yrs old boy who killed his teacher by stuffing the duster into her mouth)

10) End up VH1's "Where are they Now"

Who says crime doesn't pay?

Meanwhile, what happened to the Ivorian guy? Did he get acquitted too or don't we care because he isn't a white, brown eyed girl?
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by tunnytox(m): 10:27pm On Oct 03, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

Amanda Knox's Schedule for the next year or two

1) Make the Morning talk show circuit round- Good Morning America, Today's Show, Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper, The Early Show, Live with Regis and Kelly, The View.

2) Make the Late Night talk show circuit round - Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, Carson Daly, The Daily show, The Colbert Report

3) Write a Book (This will be trigger another round of talkshow runs)

4) The Book will be turned into a made for TV movie (with a C-List  actress. . . perhaps someone from GLEE playing Amanda)

5) The Made for TV movie will lead to an off Broadway show

6) Because of the success of the Broadway show, Hollywood will come-a-knocking (Dakota Fanning will be cast as Amanda Knox)

7) K-Mart or Walmart or Target will tap her to design their next line of Duvets (seeing as she found her dead friend under a duvet)

8 ) She will become an inspirational speak and start making speeches in schools

9) She will write a book based on her experience after the trial (at this point, no one really cares. . .they've moved on to the next "IN" person. A school 12 yrs old boy who killed his teacher by stuffing the duster into her mouth)

10) End up VH1's "Where are they Now"

Who says crime doesn't pay?

Meanwhile, what happened to the Ivorian guy? Did he get acquitted too or don't we care because he isn't a white, brown eyed girl?

Exactly my question?

Writing a book and living a celebrity life out of the dead will be even more wicked than the murder itself!
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Aringarosa(m): 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2011
It was a good thing they set her free, i was going to have Bush Jr add Italy to the "Axis of Evil"
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Aringarosa(m): 10:40pm On Oct 03, 2011
On a serious note, I don't know if she's innocent or not but I find it really irritating whenever I hear about Americans going to foreign countries & going into areas they shouldn't be in (Iran hikers) or hanging out with shady people (Amanda Knox). Granted these foreign gov'ts are shady as well but you & I would at least have enuff sense to stay away from certain areas or getting involved with the wrong ppl. People like Amanda act like they're still in the U.S. & can do whatever the heck they please. If these ppl don't want to end up in some hell hole prison for several yrs, held as a hostage or wind up dead, they should either start using better sense or keep their butts at home. My sympathy only goes so far for dumb people.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by blackmann(m): 10:56pm On Oct 03, 2011
Aringarosa:

On a serious note, I don't know if she's innocent or not but I find it really irritating whenever I hear about Americans going to foreign countries & going into areas they shouldn't be in (Iran hikers) or hanging out with shady people (Amanda Knox). Granted these foreign gov'ts are shady as well but you & I would at least have enuff sense to stay away from certain areas or getting involved with the wrong ppl. People like Amanda act like they're still in the U.S. & can do whatever the heck they please. If these ppl don't want to end up in some hell hole prison for several yrs, held as a hostage or wind up dead, they should either start using better sense or keep their butts at home. My sympathy only goes so far for dumb people.

Those two iranian hikers were just a set of dimwits. i was even moreangry with what they said when they landed - "we were detained and kept for this long because we are American". As if being American entitles you to go hiking in a place where you are not supposed to. Sometimes i read cases like this and i feel sorry for those americans who are reasonable when people say americans are dumb. People were of the opinion that they should have left them to rot in jail for a few decades before they attempted to get them out. and they will blaim Obama for not coming to their aid if they were not successful in bringing them out. bunch of sore losers angry angry angry
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by tyson55(m): 11:04pm On Oct 03, 2011
Rich white american girls who are beautiful could never do anything bad.

Casey Anthony gets off with NO CHARGES, not even child endangerment for not telling the authorities her child was missing for over 30 days.

They can't prove she did it with absolute certainty, so they have to let her go, its how society works.

My heart goes out to the KERCHER family.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by jellyloveb(f): 2:53pm On Oct 04, 2011
It sounds like the Kercher family is on their way to accepting the courts decision and seeking the truth. It will be an uphill battle for them as the very people that investigated this crime will be reluctant to admit their mistakes and pursue this murder any further. I wish them well.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by otokx(m): 3:47pm On Oct 04, 2011
something is amiss here
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Kx: 3:52pm On Oct 04, 2011
I smell ojoro in this case
How I wish Dr Conray would be left off the hook seeing that MJ  may hv bn abusing drugs even b4 conray was engaged.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by manny4life(m): 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
tunnytox:

Exactly my question?

Writing a book and living a celebrity life out of the dead will be even more wicked than the murder itself!

Guede was a drug smuggler, he got 25 years; however, he appealled the decision, it was reduced to 16years. Although, evidence pointed to him as the killer though, however, the family contested that though there weren't any bodily wounds to him, there were two people associated with the killing.

My reaction, I think as though she did not commit the murder but she conspired.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by nnemak(m): 4:02pm On Oct 04, 2011
She definitely knows more, She has been changing her stories from day one, even her last speech yesterday na story!!!! tongue tongue

I truly feelk for Meredith parents, embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Ifecotag: 4:07pm On Oct 04, 2011
Eha Guede , Poor Black African. Who is going to help him get out? Or is he going to be in Jail like a Monkey(Not my word)? Is the world Just? Especially towards unprivileged Africans
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 04, 2011
tyson55:

Casey Anthony gets off with NO CHARGES, not even child endangerment for not telling the authorities her child was missing for over 30 days.

They can't prove she did it with absolute certainty, so they have to let her go, its how society works.

emmm,kasey anthony was never rich,she only got away becos all those stupid television lawyers had already judged the case b4 it got to court.they were all angry she got off free but bottom line,they led to her getting free cos they over flogged the damn case to a point that when the case came up,evidence did not mach up to facts becasue the state felt they had enuff against her based on all those tv lawyers having a field day with facts that should have been left alone
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2011
Ifecotag:

Eha Guede , Poor Black African. Who is going to help him get out? Or is he going to be in Jail like a Monkey(Not my word)? Is the world Just? Especially towards unprivileged Africans
dont put yourself in such a stituation if you know they see you as nothing but a pest
wasnt guede a drug dealer,why would an african go and deal in stuff like that,no matter how highly placed you are,you will suffer more punnishment than a citizen of that country
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by blackmann(m): 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2011
The Knox case was a pop culture obsession, and that's not going to stop now that the jury has decided to set her free. The race will be on for which media outlet interviews her first. More than 410 journalists had credentials to be at the courthouse in the tiny Umbrian hillside village of Perugia.

Meanwhile, movie deals are in the works. Noted filmmaker Michael Winterbottom is interested in making a movie about Knox, with Oscar-winning actor Colin Firth starring as a journalist covering the trial, the Guardian reports.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/03/world/europe/knox-obsession-continues/index.html

and they say crime does not pay. what the press can do just to get a story. i wonder what poor Meredith's family would think if they get to hear the suspect is getting millions of dollars in deals off the death of their daughter. and they wonder why people hate Americans. Just feel sad for the reasonable ones that exist.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Ifecotag: 4:30pm On Oct 04, 2011
@milehigh06

dont put yourself in such a stituation if you know they see you as nothing but a pest
wasnt guede a drug dealer,why would an african go and deal in stuff like that,no matter how highly placed you are,you will suffer more punnishment than a citizen of that country

This is about a murder case we are talking about involving 3 suspect and not Guede as a drug dealer. The media hype was on the side of the privileged Kids and no one paid concrete attention to that poor African underprivileged kid.

Hey bro, I see that you are in the USA. Be careful oooo to venture into those restricted neighborhoods meant for those Special people oooo before you are charged with false intrusion for how you look and sentenced because no one will pay attention to your Story oooo not even the Nigerian government oo let alone the American one ooooo even if you are an American citizen of the wrong colour ooooooo??.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 04, 2011
@Sisiskill you're so funny.  grin
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by iykak47: 5:48pm On Oct 04, 2011
If Amanda knox is innocent, then who is realy responsible for Meredith's death. so that Amanda is free , the lady who falsely accused Lumumba, a Congolese bar owner of been the killer. A lady who intentionaly wanted to see an innocent man in jail is wicked, and is capable of murder. No wonder Italian lawyers called her ''witch,lucifer, she devil,liar with diabolic soul''.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by duduspace(m): 5:51pm On Oct 04, 2011
I second manmustwack, I think there has been miscarriage of justice due to incompetence in investigation. I'm never happy when people are let go on technicalities just like OJ. Too many questions left unanswered. My gut feeling is that she was actively involved, it might have been manslaughter and not murder but methinks Amanda and Rafael were culpable in Meredith's death.
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by room702(m): 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2011
tyson55:

i totally agree with this post.
Amanda Knox previously said it was another black guy that killed Meredith but luckily for the guy he had prove that he was elsewhere when the killing took place.  I feel bad for Rudy Guede because i think he was framed
Re: Meredith Kercher Murder Case In Italy: Amanda Knox, Raffeale Solllecito Freed by POTUT(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2011
We may never know. Our opinions have been at one time or the other swayed like surf in the wind by the noise of the media, naturally.

Justice is no longer what it means, it has now accommodated the new dimension of compelling media coverage to nearly predetermine verdicts.

Whether it is because she is american or because it was newsworthy, they started beating the drums of the verdict many days before it was even due,
simply setting themselves up to rake in the millions in media coverage, regardless of which way the verdict went. The glee of sensational reporting.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Africa Still A Colony Of Europe? / Meet The Jew Heading BLM And ANTIFA / Israeli Air-force Ranked The Mightiest In The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.