Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,911 members, 7,806,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! (10362 Views)

First Bank To Sack 1000 Workers / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Mtn Sack Workers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 2:20am On Oct 05, 2011
"This story is totally incorrect, factually and otherwise.
Airtel, in the first place, doesn’t have as many staff in Nigeria. Secondly, Airtel did not sack a single member of staff. The purported staff, who are claiming that they were sacked, are Call Centre Agents, who are employees of two Agencies, who provide Agents for two partners, Tech Mahindra and Spanco-who provide Airtel Call Centre Services.
Contrary to the report here, which sadly was unchecked/unverified was that the Agents, about 1545 of them were out of contract by Friday, Spetember 2011. Tech Mahindra and Spanco have indicated in a joint statement that they would like to hire agents directly on their roll, which will include new Agents and some of the old Agents, who meet their specifications.
So, Airtel did not sack any Agents as they were not Airtel’s employees and Airtel does NOT run Call Centres.
I have also attached the joint statement by Tech Mahindra and Spanco here:Airtel Nigeria

"This story is totally incorrect, factually and otherwise.
Airtel, in the first place, doesn’t have as many staff in Nigeria. Secondly, Airtel did not sack a single member of staff. The purported staff, who are claiming that they were sacked, are Call Centre Agents, who are employees of two Agencies, who provide Agents for two partners, Tech Mahindra and Spanco-who provide Airtel Call Centre Services.
Contrary to the report here, which sadly was unchecked/unverified was that the Agents, about 1545 of them were out of contract by Friday, September 30 2011. Tech Mahindra and Spanco have indicated in a joint statement that they would like to hire agents directly on their roll, which will include new Agents and some of the old Agents, who meet their specifications.
So, Airtel did not sack any Agents as they were not Airtel’s employees and Airtel does NOT run Call Centres.
I have also attached the joint statement by Tech Mahindra and Spanco here:
JOINT MEDIA STATEMENT BY TECH MAHINDRA AND SPANCO ON SUSPENSION OF CALL CENTRES

Lagos, Nigeria; Monday, October 03, 2011: We, Tech Mahindra and Spanco, are global Business Process Outsourcing (BPOs) companies and providers of Call Centre services to Airtel Nigeria, operating out of two call centres in Lagos and Abuja, respectively.

Our attention has been drawn to several messages circulating in cyberspace alleging that our client, Airtel had fired 3,000 Call Centre agents due to a disagreement over a purported plan to reduce salaries. This is untrue and we want to use this medium to put the facts right.

Last year, following the signing of a landmark BPO Agreement with the Airtel Group, we jointly inherited over 1,600 Call Centre agents from Bezaleel, HR Indexx and CCSNL who hitherto provided agents for the company known then as Zain. The contract existing between us and two of the agencies namely CCSNL and HR Index expired effective Friday September 30, 2011. The third agency, Bezaleel’s, contract will expire in January 2012. So, there is no issue of mass sack but expiration of existing contracts.

Prior to the expiration of the contracts, we had engaged representatives of the Agents and that of the organized Labour on how to manage their transition to our roll. Due to a lack of consensus on the way forward and an apparent threat to our facilities by some of the agents, we were compelled to suspend operations at the call centres last Friday, September 30, 2011.

Going forward, our plan is to recruit new agents and also offer some of the affected agents a new contract with attendant salaries and benefits based on their qualifications and experience. Our vision is to expand the Call Centre business in Nigeria to 5000 capacity, ultimately.

On the issue of salaries, we state categorically that as world class organizations, we offer our employees remuneration and benefits comparable to standards across the world and in compliance with the working and labour laws of Nigeria.

We, therefore, appeal to all Nigerians, especially Airtel customers, to bear with us as we seek to expeditiously resolve the issues and re-open the call centres in the coming days. Indeed, we have also taken appropriate measures to ensure that our client’s customers experience minimal inconvenience during this brief period.

It is important to note that the activities of these disgruntled Agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and make nonsense of the Federal Government’s drive for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).

We are committed to growing the BPO industry in Nigeria and by so doing we will give meaning to the quest by the Federal Government of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to create jobs as part of his master plan to re-engineer the Nigerian economy.

Signed:

K SANKARALINGAM
CEO – SPANCO, AFRICA
SPANCO CHANNEL BPO LIMITED
SUJIT BAKSI

http://www.naijahood.com/2011/10/did-airtel-sack-3000-customer-care.html
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2011
The problem with us is that we too often jump into conclusion and attack AIRTEL without hearing their own side of the story. it is better to find out what actually happened first before concluding .
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by FUNMZIE(f): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
This is such a terrible lie and i dont expect people to believe in this silly response of defending themselves. So Airtel is denying its staff who uses Airtel ID card and work in Airtel branded offices? Is Bezeleel, HR Index and CCSNL not recruiting people as Airtel staff though it is a contract job?

This yeye Indian people can not be treating us as slaves in our own country. angry
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 07, 2011
Confusion everywhere
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by talktrue1(m): 9:09am On Oct 07, 2011
Pls which one is call centre agents. Is it the ones making phone call business
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by brigglez(m): 9:15am On Oct 07, 2011
A friend in charge of one of this Call Center told me that she has been mandated to get over 150 CVs of SSCE & OND holders before Close Of Business today.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by doctokwus: 9:17am On Oct 07, 2011
Why den want to recruit new staff and pay dem slave wages.Its dis kind of support frm some nigerians dat mke a lot of foreign employers in nigeria feel dey can get away with anything
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 07, 2011
Nigeria can do without Airtel,can Airtel do without Nigeria?
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by isleman(m): 9:20am On Oct 07, 2011
@ Poster, you cant take sides in your own post. its obvious you have. Your explanation makes sense but nevertheless, in as much as Airtel's name is dragged to the mud, Airtel has to do something about it.

Contracts are negotiated before it expires in order to avoid these situations.

Those people either contracted or not indirectly work for Airtel or can we call them GLO staff? Airtel has to live up to their social responsibility and also save jobs not give excuses for their inabilities.

All these contracted jobs is an attempt to defraud and deny staff of their benefits. Now Airtel is claiming innocent.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by 76Naira(m): 9:31am On Oct 07, 2011
If people didn't lose their jobs, then why are new CV's being collected for possibly lower wages?
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by norrisman: 9:46am On Oct 07, 2011
Ignorance is a disease. The staff who are out of work were mostly agency staff and as such did not work for Airtel directly nor had contracts with Airtel. They were agency workers who know they are working to a fixed term contract. Airtel is not the first company to use this style of employing labour and they will not be last. It is an acceptable method used worldwide where companies use casual/ temporary labour to hedge themselves against future uncertainties.

Airtel asks ABC agency for 100 call centre agents. A contract is negotiated between Airtel and ABC. ABC goes to labour market to look for 100 agents. ABC takes 100 agents on its books and they agree a salary and duration of contract (including possible extensions - not guranteed). Agents start work with Airtel and are paid weekly/ monthly by ABC. Contract comes to an end and Airtel opts not to extend ABC's contract due to unfavourable terms.

According to my description above, I cant see what Airtel has done wrong. If anything it provided jobs for people who would otherwise not have had a job to go to. In this case, the agents do not have a leg to stand on. Airtel may be an Indian company but I am sure they did not get where they are today by being silly. They must employ comprtent HR people to understand the labour laws of the countries they operate in.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by citee(m): 10:08am On Oct 07, 2011
FUNMZIE:

This is such a terrible lie and i dont expect people to believe in this silly response of defending themselves. So Airtel is denying its staff who uses Airtel ID card and work in Airtel branded offices? Is Bezeleel, HR Index and CCSNL not recruiting people as Airtel staff though it is a contract job?

This yeye Indian people can not be treating us as slaves in our own country. angry

@Funmzie, while not wanting to join issues with you, i think you ought to get your facts right. Organisations the world over adopt different business models as the need arises. Therefore deciding to outsource the call centres is within the rights of Airtel or indeed any other organisation to do. The call centre managers also have to ensure that the people acquired or engaged from Bezeleel or HR Index or CCSNL meet their requirements. For the life of me i don't know where this sentiment is coming from. In 2009, banks in Nigeria right-sized and all hell did not break loose then. So this campaign of calumny is really un-called for. By the way i was a staff of Airtel.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 07, 2011
To airtel apologists
well we had your types supporting Hitler
supporting segeretion
supporting all sorts of ills and evils in the society
why because u are beneficiaries of this inhman and dehumanising situations
if a foreign company will not pay their staff living wages and then export their people to take the place of the staff that they sack enmasse what benefit is that org in any society,

can this sort of capitalisim happen even in Ghana?Go and see the way they are making adenuga sweat because he wants to roll out their,Ghanians are the number 1 priority

even in the US the godfather of capitalsim,they will shut the company down and break it down, i tell u
u can hide your head and use all sort of logic,what is right is right what is wrong is wrong

they posted 17bn as profit last year and they are hiring contract staff en masse, any good lawyer will pick holes and sue them to bits
like i said ,with the peanuts thay are paying Nigerians, we really dont need them here, let them take their business to Ghana or Togo this is not a banana republic that anything goes,and with jobs like the ones they are  "creating"
they will find a lucrative markets in desperate African countries

NIGERIANS YOU SHOULD BE KINGS AND QUEENS IN your COUNTRY NOT AN INDIAN SLAVE,YOU ARE TREATED LIKE DOGS IN EUROPE LIKE THIEVES AND DRUGGIES IN ASIA,THIS IS YOUR HOME AND YOUR OWN TERRIITORY AND YOU MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT.
LET AIRTEL GO WE HAVE SURVIVED WITHOUT IT AND WE WILL NOT DIE WITHOUT IT

1 Like

Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by mrjingles(m): 10:24am On Oct 07, 2011
My worry is the way our journalists failed to report the facts, indeed if Airtel truly has up to 3,000 staff then it would be out of business by now. Indians are the best at BPO and we should pray they expand the business and create more jobs. With the new undersea cables we may attract some BPO work from other countries. They need commendation not condemnation.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by mrjingles(m): 10:31am On Oct 07, 2011
ehie:

To airtel apologists
supporting segeretion
if a foreign company will not pay their staff living wages and then export their people to take the place of the staff that they sack enmasse what benefit is that org in any society,

can this sort of capitalisim happen even in Ghana?Go and see the way they are making adenuga sweat because he wants to roll out their,Ghanians are the number 1 priority

even in the US the godfather of capitalsim,they will shut the company down and break it down, i tell u
u can hide your head and use all sort of logic,what is right is right what is wrong is wrong

they posted 17bn as profit last year and they are hiring contract staff en masse, any good lawyer will pick holes and sue them to bits
like i said ,with the peanuts thay are paying Nigerians, we really dont need them here, let them take their business to Ghana or Togo this is not a banana republic that anything goes,and with jobs like the ones they are  "creating"

NIGERIANS YOU SHOULD BE KINGS AND QUEENS IN your COUNTRY NOT AN INDIAN SLAVE,YOU ARE TREATED LIKE DOGS IN EUROPE LIKE THIEVES AND DRUGGIES IN ASIA,THIS IS YOUR HOME AND YOUR OWN TERRIITORY AND YOU MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT.

When you get down from your soapbox please google BPO and find out what it means. You think when you walk into a bank the cashier that attends to you works with the bank? And the driver? Oh and what about all the cleaners security men and secretaries? In the past companies used to have all these roles as core staff and they discovered that they are not really core to their operations so they started outsourcing. If you live in the US and call a help line for most companies the call agent is likely in India or some other country. If you want to demonise Airtel then lets shut down all the banks, oil companies etc who outsource. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 10:33am On Oct 07, 2011
citee:

@Funmzie, while not wanting to join issues with you, i think you ought to get your facts right. Organisations the world over adopt different business models as the need arises. Therefore deciding to outsource the call centres is within the rights of Airtel or indeed any other organisation to do. The call centre managers also have to ensure that the people acquired or engaged from Bezeleel or HR Index or CCSNL meet their requirements. For the life of me i don't know where this sentiment is coming from. In 2009, banks in Nigeria right-sized and all hell did not break loose then. So this campaign of calumny is really un-called for. By the way i was a staff of Airtel.    

Spot on !! The problem with Nigerians is the mob mentality. once they hear the news they shout CRUCIFY HIM !! the kind of mentality Nigerians exhibit when they hear somebody shout Thief! Thief!! thief!! at another person , most often they attack the alleged thief, strip him n.aked, put a Tyre around his neck , douse him with petrol and set him ablaze before even bothering to ask what he stole in the first place. people just make up their minds without hearing the other part of the gist and when they hear the other side, they cook up some "It is a lie " gist without backing it up with concrete FACTS!! if you want to keep pointing accusing fingers at Airtel, then do so objectively, and not like they stole your wife or something.  The question is WHO SACKED THE WORKERS? if it is not Airtel then face the companies who did and leave Airtel alone !! What Airtel does by contrating with other company for man power is done by most organizations in Nigeria and the entire world. people are just ignorant!!

Airtel is not responsible for the high rate of corruption and lack of proper care for the Nigerian citizens, If Nigerians can vent their Anger on the Nigerian Government who are as far as i am concerned is the worst enemy of its "subjects" not only treating you like dogs but more like what a vulture would want for dinner, direct your attack to those stealing public funds/tax payers money, day in day out, those who made life so difficult  REVOLT againt oppression from your own Government and be free for ever .!!

Switch47 !!    hypernigeria@gmail.com
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by norrisman: 10:37am On Oct 07, 2011
@ Ehie

We are not Airtel apologists. I,ll like to believe we are more enlightened and are able to analyse situations without sentiments, Nigeria does not have a mandatory minimum wage and Airtel only needs to pay the call agents N18,000 (Nigerias federal minimum wage which many states have so far refused to pay) to fulfil a kind of moral obligation. It was offering well over that. Where are your protests against the government of your country that refuses to pay a minimum/ living wage to its employees?

The mandatory minimum wage in the UK is £6.08 and no employer can be forced to pay above that!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by isleman(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2011
norrisman:

I cant see what Airtel has done wrong.

what AIRTEL has done wrong is ;

1. Humans are involved, they toyed with them
2. They should make their negotiations prior to expiration.
3. They disregarded all involved.
4. Nigerians are involved
5. They should be more responsible.

Banks and oil companies also outsource, but we never heard any complains because they do their things right.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by norrisman: 10:51am On Oct 07, 2011
Isleman

I understand where you are coming from but i am afraid the most successfull business people are the most ruthless ones. this is a profit making organisation not the Red Crescent.#

1 Sentimental - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws
2 Although they are not compeled to, they negotiated before end of current agreement but both parties couldnt agree hence the termination at expiry - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws
3 Sentimental - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws
4 Sentimental - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws
5 Sentimental - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 10:56am On Oct 07, 2011
citee:

Spot on !! The problem with Nigerians is the mob mentality. once they hear the news they shout CRUCIFY HIM !! the kind of mentality Nigerians exhibit when they hear somebody shout Thief! Thief!! thief!! at another person , most often they attack the alleged thief, strip him n.aked, put a Tyre around his neck , douse him with petrol and set him ablaze before even bothering to ask what he stole in the first place. people just make up their minds without hearing the other part of the gist and when they hear the other side, they cook up some "It is a lie " gist without backing it up with concrete FACTS!! if you want to keep pointing accusing fingers at Airtel, then do so objectively, and not like they stole your wife or something.  The question is WHO SACKED THE WORKERS? if it is not Airtel then face the companies who did and leave Airtel alone !! What Airtel does by contrating with other company for man power is done by most organizations in Nigeria and the entire world. people are just ignorant!!

Airtel is not responsible for the high rate of corruption and lack of proper care for the Nigerian citizens, If Nigerians can vent their Anger on the Nigerian Government who are as far as i am concerned is the worst enemy of its "subjects" not only treating you like dogs but more like what a vulture would want for dinner, direct your attack to those stealing public funds/tax payers money, day in day out, those who made life so difficult  REVOLT againt oppression from your own Government and be free for ever .!! The question still remains WAS IT AIRTEL THAT SACKED THE WORKERS? NO THEY DID NOT!!

Switch47 !!    hypernigeria@gmail.com
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by isleman(m): 11:02am On Oct 07, 2011
norrisman:

Isleman

Sentimental - Not illegal and not breaking any labour laws

Do they have a thought of what is going to happen if they are unable to agree on terms and the contract expires? if they do, this wouldn't be happening. i agree, big businesses employ great management techniques, but where is their social responsibility to this country if they don't care about 3000 indirect workers loosing their jobs in one day.

Its better to offend 2 good persons than to offend 1 bad person. they didn't break any labour laws but broke many other things.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by ikhideman(m): 11:04am On Oct 07, 2011
I don't know why some people are so sentimental, just like the NLC! Facts are there, you are employed on contract for a 2-year period, contract has expired, they don't want to renew, that's their right! Even if they want to employ Monkeys on a fresh contract, its within their rights!

I was offered employment by this same CCSNL as a Customer Service Staff on contract in 2009; I didn't take the offer(thank God) after hearing the terms of the contract - even when they said its renewable. I've been working at my current place for the past 3 years now(its a full-time employment), hence when I heard the terms, I immediately declined the offer, because I was working full-time already - 8:30am-5pm.

It seems those who are crying foul don't understand what it means to work on a contract basis & seem not to understand that they weren't employed by Zain, but by consultants who were responsible for their salaries based on the contract with Zain that had end date - September 30, 2011!

For those affected, the truth is you all should have been preparing for the contract end date & looking for alternative employment/starting your own business elsewhere. Since it has come to this, you should believe God for new jobs/ideas for profitable businesses! Cheers
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Roadblock: 11:07am On Oct 07, 2011
I dont blame the indians, I blame our weak labour laws. If you believe what the indian companies are saying , too bad, maybe someday you will find yourself working with some indians like the people that are now being laid off. Let me give you a first hand information about what is happenning in airtel today.  It is not a bad thing to look for a cheaper way to do business but when you now throw hundreds of people into the street without any prior notification that could have helped them pick up their lives from having wasted many years working with the same organization that have promised heaven and earth. I think it is EVIL and INHUMANE. Of course if they are proposing 29k as aslary, that means they know they can get corpers and maybe school leavers to do the same jobs year in year out. But More than that training of Nigerian contents in Kenya and Ghana  commensed like a week before this whole issue started. The idea is that it is cheaper that way to route the calls to those places where they already have agents working and being paid  stipends. For Local calls in Nigeria they only need a handful local dialet speaking Nigerians to handle that. This they can achieve with NYSC scheme.

My Point is this , if the citizens of this country can not benefit from the existence of the business made successful by Nigerian subscribers. Then the business at the end of the day is exploitative.
INDIANS ARE SLAVE DRIVERS. I have worked with them before.

If they succeed  with this then expect it to spread to other businesses in the country.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 07, 2011
ehie:

To airtel apologists
supporting segeretion

SPOT ON. Very Well Said

To Airtel Apologists
While it's true that most other companies outsource as well. We cannot deny the fact that Indians are terrible human managers. They treat fellow humans so poorly, treating them like slaves. Not all BPO packages are so unfavourable!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 11:26am On Oct 07, 2011
ikhideman:

I don't know why some people are so sentimental, just like the NLC! Facts are there, you are employed on contract for a 2-year period, contract has expired, they don't want to renew, that's their right! Even if they want to employ Monkeys on a fresh contract, its within their rights!

I was offered employment by this same CCSNL as a Customer Service Staff on contract in 2009; I didn't take the offer(thank God) after hearing the terms of the contract - even when they said its renewable. I've been working at my current place for the past 3 years now(its a full-time employment), hence when I heard the terms, I immediately declined the offer, because I was working full-time already - 8:30am-5pm.

It seems those who are crying foul don't understand what it means to work on a contract basis & seem not to understand that they weren't employed by Zain, but by consultants who were responsible for their salaries based on the contract with Zain that had end date - September 30, 2011!

For those affected, the truth is you all should have been preparing for the contract end date & looking for alternative employment/starting your own business elsewhere. Since it has come to this, you should believe God for new jobs/ideas for profitable businesses! Cheers

Spot on ! The contract has expired (Note - not with airtel) when a contract expires it is within the power of the employing company ( not airtel in this case ) to renew or not to renew. They saw the terms right from day one . they are working on a contract basis and a contract is a contract in this case for 2 years. period!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Akainzo(m): 11:45am On Oct 07, 2011
Roadblock:

I dont blame the indians, I blame our weak labour laws. If you believe what the indian companies are saying , too bad, maybe someday you will find yourself working with some indians like the people that are now being laid off. Let me give you a first hand information about what is happenning in airtel today.  It is not a bad thing to look for a cheaper way to do business but when you now throw hundreds of people into the street without any prior notification that could have helped them pick up their lives from having wasted many years working with the same organization that have promised heaven and earth. I think it is EVIL and INHUMANE. Of course if they are proposing 29k as aslary, that means they know they can get corpers and maybe school leavers to do the same jobs year in year out. But More than that training of Nigerian contents in Kenya and Ghana  commensed like a week before this whole issue started. The idea is that it is cheaper that way to route the calls to those places where they already have agents working and being paid  stipends. For Local calls in Nigeria they only need a handful local dialet speaking Nigerians to handle that. This they can achieve with NYSC scheme.

To teh bolded, you can search Nairaland and you would find a thread from July 2011 when this issue first came up. Therefore they did not just throw them off, each party was aware that negotiations were going on and that the contract might be terminated.

Roadblock:

My Point is this , if the citizens of this country can not benefit from the existence of the business made successful by Nigerian subscribers. Then the business at the end of the day is exploitative.
INDIANS ARE SLAVE DRIVERS. I have worked with them before.

If they succeed  with this then expect it to spread to other businesses in the country. 

The new people to be employed to replace the sacked ones, would they be Ethiopians? Or are they going to be Nigerians?

BTW, why wasn't all hell raised when InterContinental bank sacked 4,200 workers within the same fiscal year of 2010? Or when Wema Bank downsized or when UBA sacked 1000 this year?  Oh is it because those one are deemed Nigerian and thus are free to sack? shocked
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Edzy: 11:48am On Oct 07, 2011
The contract with the call center agents expired because they fail to accept the following:
1. No one can accrue more than or go on more than 6 days annual leave.
2. Work six(6) days a week for 8 hours per day.
3. Accept a 60% salary deduction.
4. Accept a 50% staff downsizing.
5. No incentives
This worker have been with the company for over 2years on the same salary.
Airtel and Spanco are sister companies so anything spanco/techmehindra is doing airtel is fully aware of.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2011
Edzy:

The contract with the call center agents expired because they fail to accept the following:
1. No one can accrue more than or go on more than 6 days annual leave.
2. Work six(6) days a week for 8 hours per day.
3. Accept a 60% salary deduction.
4. Accept a 50% staff downsizing.
5. No incentives
This worker have been with the company for over 2years on the same salary.
Airtel and Spanco are sister companies so anything spanco/techmehindra is doing airtel is fully aware of.

Not logical, Contracts was determined by time , the two years was over and it was time to re-negotiate, airtel is not in control or legally/morally responsible for the action of Spanco , they are two separate entities and must be treated as such.
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2011
AIRTEL will lose its customer base and hopefully get out of Nigeria
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by switch47(m): 12:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
ehie:

AIRTEL: will gain more grounds, become more effective and grow stronger getting more customers in Nigeria !!
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 07, 2011
Penny Wise Pound Foolish
Due to their greed they will lose millions of customers and have to waste mILLIONS on the pages of newspapers trying to "convince"Nigerians that they are saints
Their names will be forever associated with something bad
Exploiters and Slave Drivers

So foolish I wonder if they even have a Public Realtions Department
But i bet being so stingy and miserly they will outsource that too
TO AN INDIAN COMPANY
MAY WE NOT HAVE MORE INDIAN COMPANIES IN NIGERIA AMEN

FOREIGN  DIRECT INVESTMENT  INDEED
Re: Airtel Did Not Sack Workers. Their Side Of The Story ! by Bawss1(m): 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2011
ehie:

More like Nigeria will lose tax money and employment if Airtel leaves Nigeria. We need them more than you know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 5 Best Jobs For Work-life Balance / What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position / NDLEA and FRSC Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.