Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples (31165 Views)

Poll: Divorce Rate

Yoruba: 73% (105 votes)
Igbo: 26% (37 votes)
This poll has ended

Tribalism Among Yoruba People / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Which Is Better: High Bride Price (igbo) & High Divorce Rate (hausa And Yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nayah(f): 8:53am On Oct 06, 2011
Kulas "your truth" is not an absolute truth my brother, I just think divorce has nothing to do with tribe or whatever, experiences are different among people so that's why I said this conclusion is subjective, and seel he said " to MY observation"

I'm only mentioning that this thread could derail because you and I know how this kind of discussion could end, but you're right normally we could be able to discuss things without passion but it's not very common here
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by kpolli(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
What kinda rubbish is this one saying now
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by engrj(m): 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2011
Yoruba nor dey divorce dem dey porsue smiley
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by mummy3(f): 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
Yoruba Divorce rate - 90%
Igbo Divorce rate - 5%

Mind you am not either of the tribe
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by mummy3(f): 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
Kulas:

One thing in this Nairaland is that even when somebody said life truth,people will take it as tribalistic act.What the writer said IS PURELY HUNDRED PERCENT TRUTH, and we all know its true. Igbo's naturally dont DIVORCE unlike Yoruba,despite the fact that IGBO BABES BY AVERAGE ARE THE MOST BEUATIFUL compared to Yorubas or can you also augue that one.In Every sampled hundred percent beautiful babes with igbo and Yorubas, seventy to eighty percent must be igbo babes.They are indeed more beautiful than their Yoruba counterparts.They value marriage than Yorubas,and we all know that it is true.

grin gbam 100%
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by mummy3(f): 1:49pm On Oct 06, 2011
engr j:

Yoruba nor dey divorce dem dey porsue smiley

Abi pursue and replace
or motiloyun business grin
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by OkparaIgbo: 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2011
How bad some people react when the truth is said,
@ OP You made an observation which is the truth, And it is not surprising because Yoruba ladies are the least cultured and have terrible morals. Im not just saying this because i want to but because of my real-life encounters.!!  tongue tongue tongue
Secondly they barely take care of themselves and 9/10 times stink of poo which i dont know why. Do they lick  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. No disrespect to the ones who dont, but in all honesty your in the huge minority.
They shout alot and most times i think they are fighting when in real sense they are just conversing. Not to mention when they are laughing, you will think ther is war. And not to be tribal here but for a man that has taste as i do these things send me running a mile from them and im sure this things add a factor to the topic which im not suprised at. But like its said the truth hurts badly and im not suprised either at the bashing the OP is getting  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Or the one a few slow pokes will try to throw at my comment. But ride on i will rather say the truth and face the critics grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue wink wink
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2011
igbo women, SUBMISSIVE? ehn?

for where?

dude i dont know what part of the country you live in, but that initial post sure is very very wrong.  AND THE SUBMISSIVE PART IS JUST PLAIN BULL.

no Igbo person, male or female, young or old, is submissive at all. even they do not deny this fact.!!

the only instances of husband battery i have ever come across have been committed by igbo women, and i have seen at least 10  grin grin grin grin grin

dude, u prolly need to live amongst igbo pple to understand.  u ever seen a igbo woman demand something from the husband? u go laff die.  Most of the time the husbands are simply henpecked or choose to be docile just to have peace.

And aggression, there isn't a female specie more aggressive than the igbo woman. simple honest truth, take a walk on the streets of lagos and take a personal observatory survey. damn! ol boy, u go fear fear na.
only igbo girls i know who will threaten their boyfriends when he does not call.

as per the divorce part, well i dunno. but the talk about not taking more than 1 wife is crass bullshyte. for where? ok well maybe they prefer concubines and girlfriends all around.
and between me and you, the difference really is a large majority of the igbo girls are unmarried for long, unlike the yoruba girls who will do ANYTHING to get married which of course will run its usual course and they get kicked out pretty soon.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2011
my mom is igbo, my dad is VERY happy. idk lol tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Kulas: 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2011
Lets give Igbos that credit.Their women value marriage,lets say the truth.Most Yoruba women can be into marriage and still dey service their self outside with another person.Majority of them did not see it as bad thing,and before u know it,they will dump their husband and stick to that one.Igbos are not like that.Hardly can u also see an igbo man marrying more than one wife.For me,i must respect igbo ladies in that aspect pass the Yorubas.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by sleekman(m): 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2011
I agree that Igbo women are more beautiful and last longer in their husbands houses but I don't think its a result of the high cost of the bride price but rather  Roman Catholicism that took its roots early in that part of the country. Prior to the advent of the whites, Igbos married more than one wife but all that became unfashionable when the Catholic brand of Christianity took root in the eastern part. Even the staunch catholics of other tribes marry just a wife and the bond remains so. Education comes in different forms. The average Igbo man realized he could marry a wife and have other mistresses or gfs and at the end of the day it translates to cost. More women, more money especially when she can tie herself legally or through children.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by nakoks(m): 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Of course some Yoruba women are abusive.

1. We dont sit like doormats and let one man abuse us

2. We are ready to leave the marriage than die in the marriage

3. Who stays with a man who ends up bringing home another woman just because his first wife can't give him a son?

IMO, the worst thing that ever hit Yorubaland IS the religion of Islam. Marrying as many wife as possible. Disgusting things.

I was actually reading this post looking for your response and boy you didnt disappoint me.Reading thru ur former posts i could tell how you would respond and you were spot on.I shake my head for you, well done
On avg, Yoruba women EXPECT more from their Husband, they expect them to be men that can provide for the family. Even tho Yoruba women bring him their own money.

Na Africa culture go kill all of una. If you cant be men, then we're allowed to divorce no?

I see many Yoruba women in my area who I believe should have divorce their useless fuji husbands a loooooonnng time ago, but culture is still binding those ones. The smart ones have moved on to better life.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
Nayah:

but you're right normally we could be able to discuss things without passion but it's not very common here

That's because too many chatters are suffering from "It's true because I said so"  syndrome/disorder.  Different opinions and viewpoints are offered and emotional chatters get offended and defensive over written words that has no value over their lives which are the reason for most derailment.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nayah(f): 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2011
^^ maybe you're right my sister, for the thread itself I couldn't say very much about it because I know more Ibos than yorubas and actually I'm not in the "Igbo/Yorubas' everyday life" to make any point but the thing is you should be very careful here when you talk about any tribe cause it could easily derail

As for poster, maybe then environmen and education are different from both tribes or divorces consequences are less taken in account among Yorubas, but seriously I really think it's very subjective and it depends on several elements
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by eghost247(m): 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2011
and why is this on the homepage
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by badmrkt(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
I've noticed that here on NL,one will never react to a post or comment without any being tribalistic in his/her comment/post.we ask how can we move forword if we continue like this?i see no changes all i see is racist faces,i wonder how we can make this place a better place.however,we can move forward if we take the devil(tribalism,race,religion,politics) out of our midst. let see ourselves as brothers instead of two distance strangers.how can the devil take away my brothers if they're close to me?, please my fellow NL'rs let not display hatred here,remember that this site is named NAIRALAND,dosn't mean it's been visited by Nigerians only.@poster i'll kill you for trying to cause mayhem here.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2011
Nayah:

^^ maybe you're right my sister, for the thread itself I couldn't say very much about it because I know more Ibos than yorubas and actually I'm not in the "Igbo/Yorubas' everyday life" to make any point but the thing is you should be very careful here when you talk about any tribe cause it could easily derail

As for poster, maybe then environmen and education are different from both tribes or divorces consequences are less taken in account among Yorubas, but seriously I really think it's very subjective and it depends on several elements

I agree tribalism=cyber war.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by omar22(m): 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2011
IGBO ladies are SOLD (non refundable)

Why do you think the rate of Men assualting their wives is extremely high among Igbos
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
No women nor men exempt from an arsewhooping.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by omar22(m): 2:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
No women nor men exempt from an arsewhooping

Thats why the Igbo Father-in-Law who has spent his daughter's dowry money on his uncompleted house would send his daughter back to the abusive husband to dish out round 2 of asswhooping.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ayowumie(m): 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2011
Na wa o. I thought everybody had a right to express himself. The poster did not say what he based on known fact. He said in his own "opinion".
So, why the hell should any one hang him on stake for that? Do you expect his opinion to be an absolute truth Wao, if you do, then you must be a total fool.

If you dont agree with his opinion, say your own and counter his.
I'm too pissed off to comment on the post. Anyway @OP, i dont agree cos the Yoruba women i knew were married to their husband 20 years ago are still married to them.
And those that are divorce is purely based on incompartibility and the 'opening of eye' that "love is no longer blind"
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by covinsworl: 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2011
its certainly the yorubas, cos it runs in their system
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by SAOguns(m): 2:46pm On Oct 06, 2011
this claim is odious fallacious, and basically unreasonable. i wonder the number of yoruba land u ve been able 2 tour. rubbish!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 2:47pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ayowumie:

And those that are divorce is purely based on incompartibility and the 'opening of eye' that "love is no longer blind"

Now that is FACT.  When you know better, you do better.   wink
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by agentzakky(m): 2:50pm On Oct 06, 2011
smh! This is absolutely stewpid post! visit a courthouse, obtain records from there, then analyze it. Although one courthouse is not enough but itz a step towards reasonable journalism.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2011
Lol at topic. What is next?

"Which tribe has a better walking style - Igbo or Yoruba?" Or "Which tribe has greasier palms - Igbo or Yoruba?"

@ topic,
Ileke-IdI:

We are ready to leave the marriage than die in the marriage.

Yeah, about this. I was thinking of posting a new topic to discuss it but since it has been mentioned, peeps on here can as well tell me a thing or two about it. I have never lived in Nigeria, but whenever I watch Nollywood home videos, I get the impression that the worst stigma a woman can ever bear in Nigeria is;
1. To be single
2. To be divorced
Am not sure whether it captures the real situation on the ground, or maybe it's just Nollywood.  

Take the case of Stigma 1 (to be single): I have watched several Nollywood movies which portray single women as failures. They are scorned at by their mothers for "failing to get husbands", their married sisters mock and laugh at them, their fathers frantically search for potential "suitors" to marry them off . . . etc etc.

Stigma 2 (to be a divorcee/leave your matrimonial home): Still refering to Nollywood, I have watched a million movies which show women trapped in horrible marriages. Women with HORRIBLE HUSBANDS (and I mean the Devil personified) opt to cry 24/7 than to quit the marriage. One such movie is All My Life where Ihuoma (played by Rita Dominic) was married to Nkemnor (played by Zack Orji) and she was humiliated by her co-wife Chimezie (played by Omotola), verbally and physically abused by her husband including being disowned by her husband who at one time told her "I am not your husband. Do you want me kick you out to show you that you are no longer wanted in this house?. . . . get it through your thick skull that you are no longer wanted here. . . . .?". Jeez. . . !! And she actually STUCK AROUND until she was eventually kicked out/divorced. However, she later returned to her "matrimonial home" after "forgiving" her husband. I mean. . . . WTF?  

How common are these scenarios in Nigeria? Because this is not the only movie that I can make reference to. So many other movies give me the impression that women in Nigerian will tolerate ANYTHING to be in a marriage. Some even go to the point of GOING DOWN ON THEIR KNEES to plead with a husband/boyfriend not to leave her. . . .!! Jesus Christ of Nazareth. . .!! I think that's a bit on the extreme. . . !!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2011
Good Girl

I have seen the movies as well and some of the scenes were unthinkable.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by moshoodn(m): 3:11pm On Oct 06, 2011
90% of everyone here are just spinning bulls.hit!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2011
The reason is because Igbo men would sooner sliit the throats of their wives than let them leave. Awon eranko which is why you have Igbo women running to marry Yoruba men.

Keep running mouth about Yoruba women instead of researching why Igbo women are marrying out of their tribe MORE than any nof the other 3 major tribes. Olodo. cheesy
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2011
The poll vote above says it all,so HAT[b]ERZ U CAN KILL URSELVES! These YORUBA GOATS need 2 b taught a lesson,dey r always attacking d IGBOS,is it dier fault dey r obviously WISER dan d [/b] lot of you?! Mind u,if ur about 2 retort,'am not igbo'!!! grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by hbrednic: 3:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
Abiola was married to over 1000 yoruba women,none of them divorced him.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
omar, you hit the nail on the head. Na greed dey do them.

People complain that a Yoruba father will readily take his daughter back if the marriage becomes unbearable. THANK YOU LORD FOR CARING YORUBA FATHERS. That dont think they should push their children back into a snake pit just because they dont want to return dowry. Awon elebi oshi. They can watch the daughter be slapped with a hammer but she'll still be asked to "manage and pray to statute of Mary for strength". Rather a dead daughter than to be a "disgrace of the village"

Rubbish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife And 3rd Wife, Olori Tobi Welcome Twins / Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience / Quran, Ifa And The Bible By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.