Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3153 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:22pm On Oct 05, 2011
I heard on radio this afternoon that BRF opened the Falomo link bridge today.

That should bring some relief around the Law School area.

Picture shows status of work on the bridge as at Sept 16

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by jason123: 6:42pm On Oct 05, 2011
Thanks for the update. Please, keep up the good work. I have and will be following it! smiley
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:52pm On Oct 05, 2011
Sept 28

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:58pm On Oct 05, 2011
Sept 28

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
Sept 28

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
Fashola Opens New Link Bridge

Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola of Lagos State this morning commissioned the N2.5 billion Falomo bridge built by the Lekki Concession Company Limited.

The new flyover that links Lekki-Epe Expressway with Falomo bridge was commissioned by Governor Babatunde Fashola this morning at Law School Bus stop, Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victorial Island, Lagos. Photo: Abeeb Ogunbadejo.

The new bridge which is 150 metres long is the first ever bridge structure of this scale and specification to be built by a private investor under the public-private partnership model.

Commissioning the bridge today, Fashola said the bridge will improve travel time for vehicles travelling to Ikoyi from Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue linking Falomo.

He said this will make a positive difference to daily commuting and life of road users.

Also speaking, the Managing Director of Lekki Concession Company Limited, Mr. Oruiyo Osoriokuna said the bridge would ease the traffic bottleneck that has plagued Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue for several years.

“This bottleneck which is caused by conflict of the intercession of Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue and Adeyemo Alakija Street on Victoria Island should now be eased by the provision of direct access onto the existing Falomo Brdige.

—Kazeem Ugbodaga

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/10/05/fashola-opens-new-link-bridge/

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 7:46pm On Oct 05, 2011
subscribing

And may the mods not move this thread into purgatory the money/business section
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:22pm On Oct 05, 2011
Amen!!!

grin
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by nateevs(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2011
Brilliant!. Is there any sort of driver's awareness program that tells drivers the meaning of the single yellow line and the solid white line on the bridge?

Secondly, the point of failure on the ramp is clear to see. I wonder road construction in Nigeria still happens this way. The  kerb is made up of hundreds of concrete pieces which rest on a cake of red soil on a slope. After one session of heavy rain, the soil will be washed away, the kerb's concrete pieces will have nothing to support them, a car's front tyre hits one of them and they all come crashing down. The asphalt is then exposed and washing away begins. How are they not able to see it?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 10:33am On Oct 06, 2011
So nateevs, what do u suggest? I am not an engineer but i can see your point.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by nateevs(m): 11:46am On Oct 06, 2011
Tile it. Use tar, Concrete slabs or interlocking blocks that integrate with the kerb and hold it all firmly in place. That way when heavy rain falls, it just flows off the flat surface and the life time of the road is extended. It's what they do here in the UK.

Example.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 12:14pm On Oct 06, 2011
I get you now.

Meen, can someone explain what LCC wants to do with the massive roundabouts. The traffic they cause is terrible. Morning or evening, they cause traffic. Also, is it just me is the Lekki axis becoming more congested?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by debosky(m): 12:20pm On Oct 06, 2011
nateevs:

Secondly, the point of failure on the ramp is clear to see. I wonder road construction in Nigeria still happens this way. The  kerb is made up of hundreds of concrete pieces which rest on a cake of red soil on a slope. After one session of heavy rain, the soil will be washed away, the kerb's concrete pieces will have nothing to support them, a car's front tyre hits one of them and they all come crashing down. The asphalt is then exposed and washing away begins. How are they not able to see it?

Can you really tell all of that from a picture? The concrete kerb pieces may have been secured better than the picture suggests. There may be a common base buried beneath the red soil you mention.

I do agree that unconsolidated top soil that can (and will) be easily washed away by rain should be avoided.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by nateevs(m): 12:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
It is still nothing like the pictures I posted. And the roads in the pictures I posted will have a longer life-span than the one in Lekki. If it is that secure, then there won't be need for overlaying of soil.

Plus rain washes soil to the roads and makes them dusty in dry seasons, and muddy in the rainy seasons.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by debosky(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
blank:

I get you now.

Meen, can someone explain what LCC wants to do with the massive roundabouts. The traffic they cause is terrible. Morning or evening, they cause traffic. Also, is it just me is the Lekki axis becoming more congested?

Roundabouts cause traffic at peak periods everywhere - you can't really avoid that if you use them. Unless sufficient entry and exit lanes are provided (using flyovers for example) to enable quick access to the Lekki Road, you'll continue to have traffic. It also depends on the discipline of the drivers involved. If they go with roundabouts, the best they can do is maybe add traffic lights to better control the flow in and around them.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
Imagine 6 lanes merging into 2. Not to mention those entering the roundabouts or exiting. Why not 3 lanes? Hopefully, they will build flyovers. Praying seriously.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:03pm On Oct 06, 2011
blank:

Imagine 6 lanes merging into 2. Not to mention those entering the roundabouts or exiting. Why not 3 lanes? Hopefully, they will build flyovers. Praying seriously.
You are right. They would have to build bridges sooner or later. Later seems more like it (maybe phase 3 or 4 of the project).
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 1:22am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^^^^^

Seems you guys have forgotten so quickly.
This was one of the reasons for the public outroar against this "concession"
A question was posed as to why the masterplan didn't just make use of "flyover bridgers" and LCCs answer was that it would be too expensive. So at the end of the day, all they want is to make profit and not alleviate traffic.
No sane company would build that road without flyovers. The only reason there is traffic is due to the fact that lekki is congested. If you put"choke" points on a congested road, you will keep getting traffic. EVen if they expand the road to 50 thousand lanes, those roundabouts will always cause traffic. They are just a bunch of thieves. I wonder what their slogan will be when they start collecting tolls maybe something like this "We are charging you for the beautification of your road and not for faster travel times that we promsised" !!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 6:37pm On Oct 11, 2011
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2011
They just need to sort out this power situation.

And then we are ready
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:35am On Oct 25, 2011
[size=18pt]CAUTION:

Are you in the habit of running across the road at first round about?

STOP NOW!  Make sure you use the newly constructed pedestrian bridge![/size]

The Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) officials arrested a lot of unwary pedestrians at the round about this morning and herded them into their Black Maria!

It was a sorry sight.

I think there are more civilised ways of effecting attitudinal change.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2011
I noticed that the KAI officials have stopped herding pedestrians into their black maria. Thank God!

What they do now is to persuade pedestrians to use the foot-bridge. That's what they should have done in the first place!

I was annoyed this morning when I saw a pedestrian insisting on crossing the road (arguing with the traffic policeman and Lastma official stationed there) instead of using the bridge. Lucky for him the KAI officials and their Black Maria were not there. I wish I was able to get a picture of the guy!    angry

Our people never learn!

Pic 1-3: Heavier pedestrian traffic on the bridge
Pic 4: Their Black Maria parked at the round about on Wednesday.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by lastpage: 11:34pm On Nov 08, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin
So, LCC used 2.5Billion of their money to build a RAMP, caused more congestion on the road and even SUPPLIED THEM WITH A BLACK-MARIA TO HERD THE SUB-HUMANS INTO! shocked shocked shocked

This Lagos is such a wonderful place and the People who live their must be the most DOCILE humans muguns alive! cry cry

Just imagine, insult upon injury! grin grin

Yeye dey-smell! angry angry

BTW: I hope they also supplied the LASG with some "Horse-whip" to use on those citizens! wink wink
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 12:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
Pedestrians should be careful while crossing. This weekend, a barber on Igboefon street met his untimely end while trying 2 dash across. We need more pedestrian bridges. They should stop constructing their useless toll gates and finish the roads they started. The entrance 2 igboefon used to be smooth, now it is covered with potholes and a very deep gully. Na dem dig am o.
I am pleased that they have increased the road at the roundabout. You can imagine only one lane of traffic. Now it is two.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by mbulela: 9:55am On Nov 16, 2011
I hear Fashola has lifted the embargo on the toll collection at Lekki.
I thought it was a court case?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:29am On Nov 16, 2011
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:00pm On Dec 09, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun / Buy Cheap And Enjoy Free Shipping To Nigeria / What Is Money Gram Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.