Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

The Real Name Of Igbos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Real Name Of Igbos (4219 Views)

7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True / The "REAL" Hausa / Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2011
After vigorous research, I think I have found the most acceptable name borne by all Igbo speaking ethnic groups.The name is "Oha".Igbos generally saw themselves as Oha before the different tribes emerged and the later use of Igbo to refer to others of the same ethnicity.More research is required though.

Nwoha
Ugwuoha
Amadioha
Ikoha
Ohaneze
Ohakim
Ezeoha
Onwanetirioha

The dialectal variances are Ora,Ohua and Ohna
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 9:17pm On Oct 07, 2011
I'm not so sure about this. Also, in a way it sounds like you're making two different sentences at the same time.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ifyalways(f): 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2011
What's Abagworo going on about?

Whatever idea you're toying with,Oha does not even come close.If you want to talk about the most common name it should be anything "chi" and Igbos have always seem themselves as Igbo's not oha.Any group can be oha.

Biko,Abagworo log off and go have some fun.

1 Like

Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 12:38am On Oct 08, 2011
ifyalways:

What's Abagworo going on about?

Whatever idea you're toying with,Oha does not even come close.If you want to talk about the most common name it should be anything "chi" and Igbos have always seem themselves as Igbo's not oha.Any group can be oha.

Biko,Abagworo log off and go have some fun.

I did not mean the most common name @ifyalways.

"Oha" literally means the "entire Igbo people".Ohaneze means "the people and their Kings".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Chyz2: 2:55am On Oct 08, 2011
Iwhuru[b]oha[/b]<--- what the Ikwere wing refered/refered to themselves as.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 3:13am On Oct 08, 2011
[quote="Abagworo"]"Oha" literally means the "entire Igbo people"[/quote]
undecided ohna just means "populace" or "public", and in a larger, more political sense, "nation" or "ethnic nation" or "nation-state". In the traditional sense (also connected to the larger, more, political sense) Ohna is the institution of government. It's the actual proper name for the institution. I don't believe it has anything to do with the "entire Igbo people", since there wasn't anything like "the entire Igbo people" until Europeans showed up. Ohnaleze isa also a new thing, I believe, just like the idea of "Ohna Igbo".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ifyalways(f): 6:19am On Oct 08, 2011
Abagworo:

I did not mean the most common name @ifyalways.

"Oha" literally means the "entire Igbo people".Ohaneze means "the people and their Kings".
Even at that,Oha or Ohaneze cannot be Igbo or linked with us unless when its written as "Ohaneze Ndi Igbo" kpomkwem.

While we are at it,Can somebody Please give me the meaning of "Ohafia" .
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by abagoro(m): 8:02am On Oct 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

undecided ohna just means "populace" or "public", and in a larger, more political sense, "nation" or "ethnic nation" or "nation-state". In the traditional sense (also connected to the larger, more, political sense) Ohna is the institution of government. It's the actual proper name for the institution. I don't believe it has anything to do with the "entire Igbo people", since there wasn't anything like "the entire Igbo people" until Europeans showed up. Ohnaleze isa also a new thing, I believe, just like the idea of "Ohna Igbo".

You gave out the answer when you referred to it as "ethnic nation".If you observe closely,we never use the word "Oha" for Yoruba,Ijaw or Edo.We can never say Ohanaeze Yoruba or Ohaneze Efik. Think about this.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 6:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
True, ohnaleze cannot be used for others for two reasons: 1) it is a recent coinage & 2) it has no cultural basis for them. In fact, use of ohnaleze is actually very limited. It can only be said with "Igbo", and it is associated with a pan-Igbo understanding (proving it's recency). Ohna on the other hand can be used for others and is not conceptually attached to the idea of "being Igbo" or "something Igbo".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 10:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

True, ohnaleze cannot be used for others for two reasons: 1) it is a recent coinage & 2) it has no cultural basis for them. In fact, use of ohnaleze is actually very limited. It can only be said with "Igbo", and it is associated with a pan-Igbo understanding (proving it's recency). Ohna on the other hand can be used for others and is not conceptually attached to the idea of "being Igbo" or "something Igbo".

You still got it wrong."Ohaneze" as an organization is a new coinage to replace the Ibo union,but ohaneze as a word is as old as Igbo language.When Igbos greet,they usually say "ohaneze" mma mma nu o!This was not said in reference to the pan-Igbo organization but the people present.There is no "oha hausa" etc.Infact just like there is a place called Igboukwu we have Ohaukwu and Oraukwu as major Igbo towns.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 10:40pm On Oct 08, 2011
Maybe I shouldn't speak on "Igbo" and just speak in reference to what I know.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 10:52pm On Oct 08, 2011
Also, I don't believe Igbo had any name until we became "Igbo".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ezeagu(m): 2:47am On Oct 12, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Also, I don't believe Igbo had any name until we became "Igbo".

You'll have to prove that.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 4:19am On Oct 12, 2011
Can you prove otherwise? Quite frankly, I see no evidence of a shared identity before the 20th century; no evidence of a shared name until we became "Igbo". Is there something you or anyone else knows that you'd like to share with the rest of us? Something in our traditions that you or anyone else supposedly knows that our parents and grandparents chose to withhold?
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ezeagu(m): 10:30pm On Oct 12, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Can you prove otherwise? Quite frankly, I see no evidence of a shared identity before the 20th century; no evidence of a shared name until we became "Igbo". Is there something you or anyone else knows that you'd like to share with the rest of us? Something in our traditions that you or anyone else supposedly knows that our parents and grandparents chose to withhold?

For you to claim that there was no shared identity or that "we became Igbo", it's required that you tell us where the word Igbo comes from and how communities took it up so easily and why even the grandparents are calling themselves Igbo and where they got that from. Does it mean that Igbo communities can have their identities messed around with so easily? So why are there 'Igbo' place names scattered across Igbo land? We have the word 'ndi gboo' that communities have be using before 1900s which may be the origin of Igbo. Even in the Isuama heartland there is Amaigbo. East, West, North, and South there are Igbo names.

So where did Igbo come from and what are these Igbo place names?

1 Like

Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 10:42pm On Oct 12, 2011
Haven't we already had that discussion? 'Igbo' is Isu.
Obigbo; 20th century establishment by hinterland people looking for work down south
Amaigbo in Abia; [b]Isu[/b]kwuato
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2011
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 12:26am On Oct 13, 2011
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 12:43am On Oct 13, 2011
@chinenyeN.

* Home
* Environment
* Oil & Energy
* Sports
* Business
o Transport
o Housing/Property
o Labour
o Wordsworth
o Banking/ Finance
o Stock/ Money
o Oil & Energy
o Information Technology
* Education

Return Home, Ogbakor Ikwerre Tells Ibaa people

Posted by admin on Jan 1st, 2010 and filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

The President of Ogbakor Ikwerre World Wide, Chief Sampson Agbaru has commended the people of Ibaa, in Emohua local government area, Rivers State for their quick achievement of peace.

Chief Agbaru made this assertion during a thanksgiving service organized by Ibaa Community in conjunction with Ogbakor Ikwerre last Sunday at the Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Ibaa.

Chief Agbaru used the opportunity to call on Ibaa people who are still at large to return home now that peace has retuned saying that the opportunity of peace presented by God should be consolidated and built upon.

He also called on the youth to stop carrying out acts capable of breaching the peace God has presented to them on a platter of God.

In his sermon Bishop of the Diocese of Ikwerre, Rt. Rev. Blessing C. Enyindah who was unavoidably absent commended Ibaa people for their patience and understanding during the dark days.

He cited Isaiah 4:1-10 saying that Ibaa just like the children of Israel has had her troubles and now that they have cried to the Almighty God, just like Israel, their sins have been forgiven after having served their necessary punishment.

Represented by pastor Ejuh Samuel, the Bishop adviced the people to guard against reoccurance of past events and pray that the peace should be permanent.

The people of Ibaa through Chief G.A. Ezekwu thanked all those who contribute to the quick achievement of peace in the community saying God should bless them, especially the state governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, Chief Sampson Agbaru, Hon. Prince Paul Wonodi, Oha-nu-Eze [/b]Obelle, Hon. Emeka Wokeh, and [b]Oha nu Eze Ibaa.

It would be recalled that Ibaa, about the largest single community in Ikwerre land was engulfed in communal crises which climaxed in November, 2008, following opposition against the nomination and eventual installation of Chief Dr. Sampson Ovua as the [b]Nye-Nwe-Ali [/b]Uvuawhu in 2007

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/?p=7025

What were you able to deduce?
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 12:56am On Oct 13, 2011
More Oha

Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:55am On Oct 13, 2011
Abagworo, you just presented examples of the exact same thing I stated earlier. Ohna is the proper name of the traditional, governmental institution, and what you've presented is evidence that supports my statement. We are saying the exact same thing, in that respect. The only place we differ is that you are convinced that Ohna equals the original collective name of "Igbo people", while I simply am not convinced of such.

Ohna represents three things, none of which I believe is synonymous with "Igbo people".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:25am On Oct 13, 2011
Also, I know Chileke Ohna. It is the same Chileke that Ngwa traditionally venerated, alongside Ohnuhnu, and it is not "God of Igbo people". Anyway, that is a different topic altogether.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 7:03am On Oct 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Abagworo, you just presented examples of the exact same thing I stated earlier. Ohna is the proper name of the traditional, governmental institution, and what you've presented is evidence that supports my statement. We are saying the exact same thing, in that respect. The only place we differ is that you are convinced that Ohna equals the original collective name of "Igbo people", while I simply am not convinced of such.

Ohna represents three things, none of which I believe is synonymous with "Igbo people".

I will like to know the 3 things Oha represent.If you notice,the article I posted area was on Ikwerre and they used "Oha nu Eze" to refer to the entire people of the towns of Ibaa and Obelle.

What is the meaning of "Chileke Oha" if not "God of Oha" or "God of the people"?

The Igbo titles Enyioha, Ochioha,Omereoha etc. do they refer to a particular section of people or the entire people.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ifyalways(f): 8:59am On Oct 13, 2011
I can't believe this thread is still on.Statments and arguments that cannot be backed with facts.
Oha=Igbo
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 11:16am On Oct 13, 2011
As far as I know, "ohna" simply means "the public", "the people", "the populace". No where and no time in my life did I grow up with the understanding that "ohna", as a word, is a synonym for "Igbo people" or that it means the same thing as "ndi Igbo".

Is ohna an Igbo word? Yes. Does "ohna" mean the people? Yes. But does it mean "Igbo people"? No. I doubt it, though I don't doubt that there may be some who could see sense in the idea that "ohna" means "the entire Igbo people".
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ezeagu(m): 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2011
Abagworo:

I will like to know the 3 things Oha represent.If you notice,the article I posted area was on Ikwerre and they used "Oha nu Eze" to refer to the entire people of the towns of Ibaa and Obelle.

What is the meaning of "Chileke Oha" if not "God of Oha" or "God of the people"?

The Igbo titles Enyioha, Ochioha,Omereoha etc. do they refer to a particular section of people or the entire people.

Oha is best translated as 'state'. 'State' isn't the name of a people, just like someone from Imo State wouldn't say 'I'm Imo State'. Britain had an Empire (Mkpaghara?), a different type of state, so they also had titles that are on the lines of Friend of the Empire, Order of the Empire and Knight of the Empire. 'Empire' doesn't mean 'British people'.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by presido1: 2:49pm On Oct 13, 2011
please are these igbo words? "Ohna and Ohnuhnu" what are their meanings anyone? and how are they pronounced
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ezeagu(m): 3:47pm On Oct 13, 2011
presido1:

please are these igbo words? "Ohna and Ohnuhnu" what are their meanings anyone? and how are they pronounced

I think ChineyeN is trying to write 'Ọhạ' and Ọhụhụ. At least, that was how they taught us to write that tone.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by abagoro(m): 5:59pm On Oct 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

As far as I know, "ohna" simply means "the public", "the people", "the populace". No where and no time in my life did I grow up with the understanding that "ohna", as a word, is a synonym for "Igbo people" or that it means the same thing as "ndi Igbo".

Is ohna an Igbo word? Yes. Does "ohna" mean the people? Yes. But does it mean "Igbo people"? No. I doubt it, though I don't doubt that there may be some who could see sense in the idea that "ohna" means "the entire Igbo people".

It is your second paragraph that is the problem.Oha,Ohna,Ohan,Ohua,Ora,Orua all represent "the people" strictly in reference to Igbo speakers.For example you can say "Oha Ngwa" or "Oha la Eze Ngwa","Oha nu Eze Ikwerre","Oha na Eze Igbo" but "Oha na Eze Okrika" does not exist.You can't use that as reference to Okrika people.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2011
abagoro:

It is your second paragraph that is the problem.Oha,Ohna,Ohan,Ohua,Ora,Orua all represent "the people" strictly in reference to Igbo speakers.For example you can say "Oha Ngwa" or "Oha la Eze Ngwa","Oha nu Eze Ikwerre","Oha na Eze Igbo" but "Oha na Eze Okrika" does not exist.You can't use that as reference to Okrika people.

My father is a public speaker and he used to do a lot of traveling. I remember distinctly that he would sometimes use ohna to describe his audience. He would say something like "*yada yada yada* ohna akuo aka" or "ohna achia". Ohna eme this, ohna etia that. I've also heard other Ngwa use ohna similarly.

So it doesn't seem to me that ohna is limited to Igbo speakers.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

My father is a public speaker and he used to do a lot of traveling. I remember distinctly that he would sometimes use ohna to describe his audience. He would say something like "*yada yada yada* ohna akuo aka" or "ohna achia". Ohna eme this, ohna etia that. I've also heard other Ngwa use ohna similarly.

So it doesn't seem to me that ohna is limited to Igbo speakers.

Whats the difference between "nde madu" and "oha na Eze" ?

Nde Okrika = Oha Okrika.

Does that not sound weird?
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by asha80(m): 8:09pm On Oct 13, 2011
Abagworo:

More Oha

abagworo how do you post pages like this on nairaland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Gruesome Torture Devices In Medieval Europe / Ladunwo Masquerade In Okemesi Ekiti, Ekiti State. / Yoruba And Benin Kingdom: Ile Ife The Final Resting Place Of History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.