Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** (16456 Views)

CONSTRUCTION PROCESS OF TERRACE BUILDING &BLOCK OF FLAT AT LEKKI / Construction Process Of A Wing Duplex+flat At Ajah / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2011
How you all doing, Happy Sunday . . .

I have been hoping and wishing that someone will start this kinda thread, BUT since no one would, i guess, i WILL.

This is a thread for people that are not seasoned in Home Building, This is a chance for someone that wanna build a house and yet have no idea where to start from and how to even start.

So let us start from How to get a good land, Survey, Home Plan, Build the house till the stage where the occupants moved in.

Please tell us all the documents that are needed and PIxtures would be appreciated too. . . .  Let us all learn together and be Happy
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2011
Lemme Start off . . .

I would based on the need for the home, i will look for land that i am sure will be of good location to me and my family and when i am looking for a land:
I need:
Good location that aint like 10 hours drive to the airport
I need a place that is a little secured
A place where you dont become a local champion
A place where it is not too close to every member of the family, where i can have some quiet time with my immidiate family.
If could get something close to water, that is a bonus

A place where after buying, i wont go broke cos i have spent all money and savings on land . . . . .

NOW, What is next, all the gurus . . . . Take it away
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by NextHome(m): 10:14pm On Oct 09, 2011
Nice one Bro! First to subscribe.

Many of us make our first mistake almost immediately by approaching things in a wrong way. As for me, this is what I'll do to get off on the right track:

1. Come up with a budget. This is where most people fail and a very important aspect in home ownership.

2. Investigate Plot opportunities.

3. Work out the approximate build costs. Get a land first before asking for estimates.

4. Buy a plot. Don't buy and start to cry 'Had I known'

5. Do the survey.

6. Establish a design. Get a design that fits your lifestyle and most especially your budget. Keep it simple!

7. Apply for planning permissions

8. Search for a builder. Don't bring in a builder until you have concluded what you want to build. A builder is different from an architect.

9. Set a start date.

10. Break Ground.

more update soon on the other steps.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:21am On Oct 10, 2011
Chief . . .Thanks a lot for this steps.

Other, please chip in and if anyone has information regarding the right ministry or the contact to get some of the stuff done, please do not hesitate to leave it here.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by jerryben12: 3:52am On Oct 10, 2011
After you buy a land, make sure you erect fences immediately so that the sellers don't sell it to someone else.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 5:42am On Oct 10, 2011
^^^ only if you bought a virgin land from a dubious family. You don't have to worry if you bought a good title with authentic documentation.

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Damysa(f): 10:05am On Oct 10, 2011
This is so interesting, even though am a woman, I hope to own a home some day.

I wont miss a thing on this for any thing in the world, dont want any builder telling rubbish just cos am a woman and a novice in building.

*** grabs a cup of coffee and sits on a couch to pay maximum attention***

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:26pm On Oct 10, 2011
jerryben12:

After you buy a land, make sure you erect fences immediately so that the sellers don't sell it to someone else.

Tell us how to calculate to know that you have enough money to erect the building after the purchase of such land . . . .This will make the thread more useful
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ only if you bought a virgin land from a dubious family. You don't have to worry if you bought a good title with[b] authentic documentation.[/b]

What document do you look for and what do you look for in the document . . . These are what we wanna know and how to know them, so take it away guru in building, teach us, i beg
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:29pm On Oct 10, 2011
Damysa:

This is so interesting, even though am a woman, I hope to own a home some day.

I wont miss a thing on this for any thing in the world, dont want any builder telling rubbish just cos am a woman and a novice in building.

*** grabs a cup of coffee and sits on a couch to pay maximum attention***

That is what we are all doing and thus, why we wanna learn, hope that the gurus in the house will teach us
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
We need the input of all the gurus oh . . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
My biggest concern and what I hope to be addressed are two folds:

(1) How are you sure that you have a good title on the land and
(2) ow do you avoid squatters, etc especially for those of us in the USA who are nto close to home.

Thank you for starting this thread, most of the threads are geared towards estate but I am allergic to any homeowner association scheme.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2011
Fhemmmy:

What document do you look for and what do you look for in the document . . . These are what we wanna know and how to know them, so take it away guru in building, teach us, i beg

Most lands are different and have unique histories. Lands differ the way humans differ, what will fit a person in attires may not fit another. So is lands, each land has a family or community that first owned it, some are government allocations while some are gifts or inheritances. The documents prepared for each of these different types of land is known by good lawyers. Actually I don't bother myself with the type of title document my land will possess, this is why I am paying my lawyer and it is then his job to see the type of documents my land will carry as they are preparing my land documentations are adequate.

To this effect, I don't fear any repeat sale after I have bought, my lawyer studies the community and chooses if he will prepare for me a deed of lease, deed of conveyance, deed of assignment, power of attorney, irrevocable power of attorney etc etc (I have seen too much land documents) The previous historey of the documents should also point the type of documents we need, if the land was owned by somebody before me, if the previous owner was a son of the soil or he bought it from another person, if the deed was registered in the ministry of lands, if the property was surveyed and if the property was registered in the surveyor generals office.

Abeg make I go chop lunch, I refused to read law in 1997 when I got admission to do so, I may one day regret that decision.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:07pm On Oct 10, 2011
Somorin#1:

My biggest concern and what I hope to be addressed are two folds:

(1) How are you sure that you have a good title on the land and
(2) ow do you avoid squatters, etc especially for those of us in the USA who are nto close to home.

Thank you for starting this thread, most of the threads are geared towards estate but I am allergic to any homeowner association scheme.

I do agree with you and thus the reason for starting this kinda thread . . . we need to know.
Cos Spyder and the other gurus have thought us how to build cheap, now we need other stuff and be able to get going.

Thanks for being on the thread, let us all learn together.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ Spyder . . . That is a great input . . . .also, give us info on where to get those kinda information . . . . You have just gave us a good info.

So we need the service of a competent lawyer to work on the land docs. . . . . so this has to come before we buy the land
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
Where are all the people that ought to teach us
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 1:56am On Oct 11, 2011
I am so disappointed in all our builders in the house . . .
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by oluwabamis(m): 7:07am On Oct 11, 2011
Phemmy, cool down, you will soon get the gurus on board. Nice thread. Home ownership is on of nigerian's greatest challenge. My advice is always to get ur land from a reputable estate agent, who can defend you in time of trouble. See you all later, got to get ma kids to school.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 7:24am On Oct 11, 2011
@ oluwabamis, I personally don't think that any estate agent can defend us better than lawyers in this land purchase stuff. Estate agents only point you to the available lands, some dubious ones even try to sell trouble lands to you and escape with their commission before the *shit* hits the fan.
But a good lawyer inspects the existing documents, asks you some questions, makes some phone calls to reconfirm when in doubt, he can even visit the land and see things for himslf. Is the beacon numbers mentions there on the ground, are there tale-tale signs of a land struggle, what is the neighborhood like. After this the lawyer is supposed to visit the ministry of lands or the local land registry and use the land documents to make land searches as appropriate. If everything is okay, he can then proceed to prepare for you a title document which will be used to do your transaction.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by oluwabamis(m): 8:34am On Oct 11, 2011
^^ 100%in support of post.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2011
oluwabamis:

Phemmy, cool down, you will soon get the gurus on board. Nice thread. Home ownership is on of nigerian's greatest challenge. My advice is always to get your land from a reputable estate agent, who can defend you in time of trouble. See you all later, got to get ma kids to school.

OK . . I don kool down.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Oct 11, 2011
When I woke up this morning, I asked myself, 'What is life about? I found the answers in my room. The fan said, 'Be cool'. The ceiling said, 'Aim high'. The clock said, 'Every minute is precious'. The mirror said, reflect before you act. The calendar said be up to date and the door said push hard for your goals Be bless and Stay bless
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:30pm On Oct 11, 2011
People said we dont know anything and yet they refused to teach us . . . God dey oh

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by rastaman20(m): 11:39am On Oct 12, 2011
Oga fehmmy, what a good thread u just open. Comin here to learn again.
As usual.eze is back to school.lol
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2011
Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 3:55am On Oct 13, 2011
rastaman20:

Oga fehmmy, what a good thread u just open. Comin here to learn again.
As usual.eze is back to school.lol

We are all trying to learn together, but seems like the gurus in the house has refused to teach us oh , , , , so eze back to school and teachers seems to be on strike
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by femmy2010(m): 6:00am On Oct 13, 2011
Do not wait until you get the billion or multi-millions b4 you start building your own house.
Be realistic regards your income as this would determine what type of building to build(no point starting a very big project one can not end).
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 8:44pm On Oct 13, 2011
femmy2010:

Do not wait until you get the billion or multi-millions b4 you start building your own house.
Be realistic regards your income as this would determine what type of building to build(no point starting a very big project one can not end).

Great advice . . . . . Thanks, Pal
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by mamaekene: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
I love this thread and l have subscribed already, hopefully the gurus will help us out, esp. for us who are in the diaspora.
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by spyder880(m): 11:52pm On Oct 13, 2011
Watch that plan! Yes, that building plan you are drawing, you may look as it is small on paper and think it is a small project, well, its small till you dig the foundation and if you don't take time, na the house go drag you for neck dey waka from here to there.

One of my coleagues in the office brought his house plans he paid N40k to draw to my office yesterday for me to advice him. I took a long look at this beautiful drawing and asked him point blank how much was his last month salary, he told me "hmmmm, around 60k" I sat back and told him, at this pace you will finish this house in 15 years. He looked sad as he was going, I later adviced him to cut it down and start small, till his incomes expand then he can step up to another land/ house.

Does it sound like I am contradicting myself? First I adviced us to start with what you have and now I am discouraging my friend and coleague who wants to start with what he has, well the difference is the plan. The building plan is bigger that my friend and I don't want him to pass through too much trouble building his house that he will be discouraged and abandon the house. A building plan should be tailored to suit your income, except you don't have immediate need for the cash you want to tie down or the apartment itself.

The more twists you add to a house is the more money it gulps, you love a parapet finish, a tiled facade, an additional pillar, more room for your kids or some superlative finish, be sure you are going to spend for it. Watch your budget, stay focused with your building planning and be fast in execution of the project, the more a house lingers the more it costs you money to build it as some of the things you bought may start to go bad.

1 Like

Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 2:04pm On Oct 14, 2011
^^^ Chief, I love your twist to it all . . . . But what is process of becoming an home owner and what are the steps and how to go about them . . . .Teach us, people
Re: Process Of Building A Home **From Buying A Land To Housewarming And Moving In** by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Oct 14, 2011
Property section seems to be going boring again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

For Your Perfect,unique House Design, Construction In Nig .pls Read Dis / 5-Year-Old Girl Rescued From Collapsed Building In Lagos (photos) / Uncovered!! Read This Article/Watch Video, Sure Way To Avoid Fake Roofing sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.