Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo (5161 Views)

Gideon Yobo And Wife Welcome Baby (photos) / Joseph Yobo Poses With His Two Sons / Man Stopped From Slapping Keshi For Substituting Moses For Yobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by hollandis(f): 7:00am On Oct 10, 2011
Ha ha ha ha, clown or foool,yobo which do you prefer?
I Didnt Know A 2-1 Win Was Enough-yobo

Our managers didn’t know the rules – Yobo
Earth shaking discoveries have continued to trail the exit of Nigeria from the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations following the 2-2 draw Nigeria played against Guinea on Saturday in Abuja.

The Super Eagles captain Joseph Yobo told THE PUNCH at their Transcorp Hilton Hotel lodge that the confusion over the rules of the qualification contributed to the result they got from the match.

The defender said that the players had settled to defend their slim 2-1 lead with a few minutes left in the match than take the risk of seeking the third goal and leaving their defence open but contrary signals from the sidelines created the mess.

He said, “By our initial understanding a 1-0 win would see us through as the top team from the group but any other form of win was also enough for us to qualify as one of the best runners-up teams.

“So when we secured the lead the plan was to adjust our plan. And that meant defending the lead and taking on counter attack when the opportunity arose. That way we could still have scored the third goal without much risk. But we were asked to press for the third goal and we changed our plans again and pressed. And it became calamitous as it left our defences open because we all joined the attack and the Guineans capitalised on that.”

We learnt that the Eagles and their managers realised their folly after the final whistle when everyone blamed them for not holding on to their slim lead and qualify as one of the second best teams. Nigeria and Guinea would have qualified from the group even if Nigeria had beaten them by 1-0 by any other form.

South Africans who played goalless draw with Sierra Leone on Saturday had finished their celebration with a lap of honour before they realised they did not qualify.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201110100252759
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by marutimon: 7:21am On Oct 10, 2011
To be honest he had no way of knowing it would be enough. That said if all the FA should have done their job (or hired a mathematicain to do the calculations) and they would have known that with 7 pts and a +4 GD they had a ENORMOUS chance of progressing. Especially with Ghana winning in the other game and most results being very beneficial to Nigeria's cause - in the 80th minute someone should have known that no other team could have more than 8 points and almost no team had a chance to have a superior GD. Barring an enormous 4:0 or 5:0 win by an African minnow in another Group Nigeria had a 95% chance of going through with that win.

Almost as big a mistake as South Africa, who was actually celebrating for 15 minutes until they found out they had the math all wrong.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by scopusng(m): 9:13am On Oct 10, 2011
Abeg, more excuses.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by mrofficial(m): 9:19am On Oct 10, 2011
ok.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by badmrkt(m): 9:31am On Oct 10, 2011
blame GEJ for this grin
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 10, 2011
Almost as big a mistake as South
Africa, who was actually
celebrating for 15 minutes until
they found out they had the
math all wrong.
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by member479760: 9:47am On Oct 10, 2011
when grammar too much na confusion, if na their town language dey use to explain to dem we for qualify.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Abayomin70(m): 9:59am On Oct 10, 2011
more useless reason yobo go adn sit down u are no more fit try go and b playin hockey
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Xfactoria: 10:05am On Oct 10, 2011
Yobo is very silly!

Did the manager tell them to concede a goal? These guys are a bunch of let down!!!!!
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by heynew: 10:09am On Oct 10, 2011
Why can't this guys keep quite so that we will mourn our exit peacefully, anytime any of them opens his mouth shit hits the fan
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by mallorca(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2011
heynew:

Why can't this guys keep quite so that we will mourn our exit peacefully, anytime any of them opens his mouth poo hits the fan
grin grin grin grin
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by franko2: 10:49am On Oct 10, 2011
badmrkt:

blame GEJ for this grin

na today??!!! lol

actually, mesef i tire, wen i see say evrybody dey for attack mode wen we dey 2 - 1 up, i com dey wonda, abi we don mend? sotay, only 3 ppl dey for back, wich kind kamikaze action b dis wan?

anyway, to err is human,
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:10am On Oct 10, 2011
Maybe we should hire mathematicians and babalawos as SE Coaches - it seems they are the only ones who truly understand Nigeria's chances at Soccer AKA Football grin grin grin grin
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by peleson: 12:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
am surprised,,,you cant afford to make mistakes at this level, ie y u r d senior national team, zero error tolerance is what is needed and not just wishes and luck, the whole team messed up, if the coaches asked u to press on,did he also ask u not to mark ball?those strikers up front didnt help at all, they stood to watch their opponent progress with d ball as if notin was at stake putin unnecessary pressure on defenders
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Paveejay(m): 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
Shame on you, Yobo!
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Kx: 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2011
Is it not possible some eagles conspired to "discipline" siasia over his high handedness?
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by otokx(m): 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2011
Even Yobo with the rubbish he played is opening that his dirty, stinking, medula oblongata.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by 0Edward0(m): 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
Kx:

Is it not possible some eagles conspired to "discipline" siasia over his high handedness?
http://www.nairaland.com/

Bros you have said my mind, look at Osaze with those miss, if na West brom, chei na goal, Na only satan go punish am, no him fit run go meet God, make God punish am, so him go go get wehere to run to.

I dey boil, where all those BH dem, kai kai, in short,
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Ajengogo(m): 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
Qualifying for the Nations Cup final is not our birth right anymore!!!!! We 've got to earn it by preparing adequately for it. The question is: do we really have the best materials in terms of committed technical managers and committed proffessional players that we had in the past who made qualifying for the Nations Cup so easy for the country? The answer is no. In terms of motivation, our present crop of technical crew and players are the most motivated in Africa in terms of fanatical support and finance. They don't lack anything as far as I am aware. They are just not committed. Imagine a Nigerian player who was going to earn $10,000 as match bonus being humiliated in front of his home crowd by a Guinean player that was going to earn a mere $2,000 as match bonus. Imagine what would have happend if the Guinean player was offered half of that $10,000 ($5,000). Abeg I no fit the imagine again sef,  Our players are a bunch of retards with the exception of few guys, though
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by femeritus: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
Serves nig right. Nig needs to go back to d drawing board. Am happy nig did not qualify. nig appearance at the nations cup would av bin more disgraceful.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by isleman(m): 4:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
I put all the blame on siasia;

1. he was too harsh (over discipline)

2. Too disciplined he didnt use the best goal keeper.

3. had hamed Musa and Ike Uche and kept them on bench till second half

4. Asking the team to press for a third goal which was evident as all went on attack

5. removing joel obi for mike obi was the greatest mistake that led the second goal.

He should be fired or relegate to under 21
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by 1025: 4:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
it was revealed that all communications to the stadium were disconnected as a security measure so the technical crew were not communicating with other places where games were going on.
how will they even know when everybody had his/her mind set on the $5k mikel will pay them.
at least, siasia will be struggling to secure his position now rather than fighting with mikel over $5k.
a bad workman always quarrel with his tools.
how can you tell one of your key players that he is owing u $5k before such a crucial match?
siasia was very busy fighting with his tools(players) instead of working with them on how best to destroy genuine.
i won't say make them sack am because, we will end up with either amodu or eguavon because these coaches can only coach the super eagles and they wait from year to year to be called back.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
Yobo blamed the team manager.

Odemwingie blamed TB Joshua

Who's gonna blame GEJ too tongue grin
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by 4LAMMY(m): 9:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
isleman:

I put all the blame on siasia;

1. he was too harsh (over discipline)

2. Too disciplined he didnt use the best goal keeper.

3. had hamed Musa and Ike Uche and kept them on bench till second half

4. Asking the team to press for a third goal which was evident as all went on attack

5. removing joel obi for mike obi was the greatest mistake that led the second goal.

He should be fired or relegate to under 21

well stated my friend, a good Coach watches the trend of the game and at thesame time the performance of each player.
Siasia kept Ike Uche on the bench while Osaze was busy messing up on the field. Siasia waited too long to make the right changes.
he should be sacked jor.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by amor4ce(m): 11:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
donspony:

Yobo blamed the team manager.

Odemwingie blamed TB Joshua

Who's gonna blame GEJ too tongue grin

Odemwingie did not blame TB Joshua.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by emiye(m): 5:32am On Oct 11, 2011
I think he was right, if they were aware 2-1 was enough, they simply would not have tried getting the third goal desperately.

I feel the thirst for the third goal led them to concede the second goal.

With good knowledge, at 2-1, they could have simply kept it calm. defend what they have cautiously, and see if they could get the 3rd goal
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by itiswell1(m): 6:31am On Oct 11, 2011
emiye:

I think he was right, if they were aware 2-1 was enough, they simply would not have tried getting the third goal desperately.

I feel the thirst for the third goal led them to concede the second goal.

With good knowledge, at 2-1, they could have simply kept it calm. defend what they have cautiously, and see if they could get the 3rd goal

Why the regret? Its too late. I doubt if i will ever watch any super eagles game again. Imagine me leaving my friend's wedding ceremony (without eating o) because of the match.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by 1025: 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2011
the only language ur managers understood was $5K from mikel. who is sure they were not busy planing on how to share the money while the game was still on?
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Syenite(m): 4:37pm On Oct 11, 2011
The over-bearing Nigeria fans too should share from the blame.The team also wanted to prove a point to the fans that was y they were trying to get the 3rd  goal.
I am sure that if we had won by that 2-1 marging and finished 2nd and still qualified, Nigerians would have called for their heads for finishing behind Guinea even though they qualify.
Imagin the fans booing the Nigerian players when they were 0-1 down.It is a shame.
NIGERIAN FANS ARE THE MOST UNPATRIOTIC IN THE WORLD!
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by macayub(m): 8:00pm On Oct 11, 2011
Syenite:

I am sure that if we had won by that 2-1 marging and finished 2nd and stilled qualified, Nigerians would have called for their heads for finishing behind Guinea even though they qualify.
Imaging the fans booing the Nigerian players when they were 0-1 down.It is a shame.
NIGERIAN FANS ARE THE MOST UNPATRIOTIC IN THE WORLD!

Is that a dignity to you that Guinea score first and eventually draw a winning match? Or you think it an honor when Nigeria fail to qualify for common AFCON. Nigeria will be missing out of sixteen Nations from Africa and you don't think that is a shame.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by 9ja4eva: 6:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
SHUT THE F UP YOBO.

So because you were not sure you let them equalize?

Are you not supposed to play to win.Una i don't care attitude don kill una.
Re: Our Managers Didn’t Understand The Rules – Yobo by Obinoscopy(m): 3:33pm On Oct 14, 2011
Yobo should go and drink Zobo cos he's not worth more than a kobo

(1) (Reply)

Slovenia Vs Usa [2- 2] : Group-C Wc Match @ Ellis Park / What Do You Think Is Wrong With This Zlatan Ibrahimovic Pix? / Maximize Your Gambling Experience With ~ Mytips ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.