Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English (5868 Views)

French Speakers And French Learners On Nairaland!!!! / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / If You Can Speak English, Come Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 4:30am On Mar 24, 2013
You guys, please read my comment properly... comment tu appelles mean "how are you called" or "what are you called" when you directly translate it into English.

While c'est quoi ton nom actually translates more directly to "what is your name".... or "What is this name of yours" w/e

maybe you guys misunderstood me, but appelé does not mean name, while nom does.
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 4:32am On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: You guys read my comment properly... comment tu appelles mean "how are you called" or "what are you called" if directly translated to english.

While c'est quoi ton nom actually translates more directly to "what is your name"....

maybe you guys misunderstood me, but appelé does not mean name while nom does.
I got you said..I was just pointing the fact that both question will have the same answer.this is just the variety of the language.
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 4:40am On Mar 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: comment tu t'appelles is not wrong. Who told u that?
I understand where the misunderstanding came from... i meant to write "the poster who said c'est quoi ton nom was incorrect".
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 4:42am On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: I understand where the misunderstanding came from... i meant to write "the poster who said c'est quoi ton nom was incorrect".
where did you learn French?
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 4:43am On Mar 24, 2013
School, rossetta stone & French movies cheesy
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 4:49am On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: School, rossetta stone & French movies cheesy
ooo really. That's new, most of the Anglophone I know will never watch a movie in another language even with subtitles. I understand them Hollywood makes the best movies in the world
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 4:53am On Mar 24, 2013
Hehe, i dey tire for Yankee movies... to much explosions not enough substance. grin

But seriously... why do French movies show so much penis, Is that what French ladies go to see at the cinema?
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 4:57am On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: Hehe, i dey tire for Yankee movies... to much explosions not enough substance. grin

But seriously... why do French movies show so much penis, Is that what French ladies go to see at the cinema?
french as in the language or the country. If you are talking about movies from France.I don't watch them that much. So I don't really know what u are talking about. I think Hollywood is more liberal and def has more sex. Lol
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 5:02am On Mar 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: french as in the language or the country. If you are talking about movies from France.I don't watch them that much. So I don't really know what u are talking about. I think Hollywood is more liberal and def has more sex. Lol
Not even close dude. grin , Have you been to Europe? there is indecency everywhere...

As for francophone movies.. the only one one i've seen was from Chad and it was bleh
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 5:07am On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: Not even close dude. grin , Have you been to Europe? there is indecency everywhere...

As for francophone movies.. the only one one i've seen was from Chad and it was bleh
I have been there .in France. The stats show the contrary. Most American women had se.x in their office at least one time lol

Where were u in Europe? UK?
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by pleep(m): 5:18am On Mar 24, 2013
Netherlands, which is probably the most libral country on earth.

But you are right about America being a skank culture, im in college i would know. And the problem is 10X in the black community

But for white Americans at least, they are good at hiding it
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 5:31am On Mar 24, 2013
Nothing pass Denmark and Sweden ..I haven't been there ...but from what I heard shaiii....

College/university life is **** everywhere lol ,and you are right about white hiding their sh.its, or maybe we think they do because we don't belong to this community and hardly see it tho
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Nobody: 5:35am On Mar 24, 2013
But you are right about European societies being more liberal, most of them are secular . In the UK they are already doing bad stuffs but they still like to hide their faces in pseudo moral values etc
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by espritsaint(m): 11:00pm On Jul 23, 2014
Bonsoir les gars,où êtes vous donc passés..............Bonsoir les gars,où êtes vous donc passés..............Bonsoir les gars,où êtes vous donc passés..............
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by anonymous6(f): 12:01am On Jul 24, 2014
BlackLibya: Whether or not they speak french perfectly is beyond the point. The point is they all speak French, and use it as a source of pride amongst each other. Whereas British colonies like Nigeria, Uganda, and Kenya use the local languages to a large extent, and most from these countries do not even speak english beyond what anyone else in the world would speak.

The real reason for this is the French goal of "assimilation". French colonial campaigns were on average much more destructive and insulting than British campaigns. While the British often tried to work within the existing framework, the French destroyed all previous forms of govt and forced locals to accept french superiority.

The locals that were more drawn to French were given positions of power, and if you note all the French African leaders at independence had studied in Paris, and had a grand appreciation of French culture. Houphet-Boigney even said that his nation did not need independence, because they were forming a brotherhood with the French. So there you go, that is why, the French policy resulted in countries that felt France was much superior to them, and the end all be all. Girls from French West/Central Africa often dress in french styles and imitate strive for french accents, they have a stronger obsession with white people than other africans.

I have heard this and believe this to be true because I have heard this from black africans from francophone countries admit this to. That's why you see a big difference between black africans that are from anglophone countries vs. one from Francophone countries
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by anonymous6(f): 3:31pm On Jul 24, 2014
it goes both ways to me when it comes to anglophone and francophone
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by Ruthless1(f): 8:49pm On Oct 30, 2016
The fact remains that majority of the Francophone African countries do not speak Standard French.
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by annieruok: 5:02am On Nov 08, 2016
Re: Francophones Speak Good French But Nigerians Barely Speak English by annieruok: 5:08am On Nov 08, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Yoruba Women / What Does Haruna Mean? / Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.