Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,074 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:27 AM

Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah Says "thank You Nigeria"! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah Says "thank You Nigeria"! (2002 Views)

"Blame Northern-Nigeria Muslim Elites For Boko Haram" - Bishop Matthew Kukah / Bishop Matthew Kukah Diagnoses Buhari And Nigeria / Before They Tarnish Reverend Father Matthew Hassan Kukah... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah Says "thank You Nigeria"! by GoldCircle: 12:35pm On Oct 11, 2011
May I on behalf on Bishop Kukah re-post this here since Nairaland remains the biggest Nigerian community online.

THERE is no place like this fantastic country and no people like Nigerians. Land and people, I do honestly love you all. On a good day, the noise, chaos, anger, frustration fused together to produce some really good jazz. September 8 was one of such days and I thank God I was instrumental to the events.

Where really does one start to say thank you? The difficulties in finding a point of departure are no reason why one cannot and should not try. What is more, although I had a chance to say a big thank you to many who were on the field and a good number who were not present, I have continued to receive tens of text messages and emails from far and near from those who would have loved to make it but could not. When one thinks of the sheer distance and the fact that Sokoto is not near anywhere and what the decision to make this trip meant for a majority of those who came, putting aside three days, words are not enough to say a thank you.

I know a few people who told me that they would have loved to come to Sokoto but they were afraid of Boko Haram. When I tried to explain to them that although I have not lived in Sokoto, I know it to be one of the most peaceful parts of this great estate called Nigeria, some of my good friends the cynics, still dismissed me with the thoughts, Well, you never can tell. It reminded of a poster I had in my room when I was a student in the UK. It read: Don’t complain about room: You are only visiting. I live here. You only visited. Sokoto is my new home for as long as God wants.

A combination of the hospitality of the people of Sokoto and the weather gave us the most peaceful celebrations anyone could have imagined. There were no incidents as thousands of ordinary citizens, male and female, young and old, Christians, Muslims and non-believers from within and outside Sokoto, people, covering the entire spectrum of our national life, angled their way into the Trade Fair complex on September 8. On paper, it will be tempting and it might actually be grammatically accurate to suggest that they were all trooping into the complex to honour me as the subject of this historic event. On the contrary, I think I was the object. In which case, my ordination and installation were just one of those opportunities that a great people and a great country have to show their sense of solidarity, affection and trust in one another. I am glad that I merely offered them a platform, a stage on which to act out their roles. This should confirm to the political class that all is possible for us.

My friend Issa Aremu among others and many reporters have already written excellent and timeless pieces highlighting the nature and beauty of the mosaic of humanity that converged in Sokoto. In a miniature way, I was reminded of the funeral of the late Pope John Paul II which had placed the Presidents of Iran and Israel or United Kingdom and Zimbabwe next to one another and who, had to shake hands during the kiss of peace at the Holy Mass at the Vatican. It summarises my motto that God is indeed love and we manifest that love in how we deal with one another.

The messages that we received were enormous and it is so hard to even begin to appreciate the emotions in their contents. I received well over two thousand text messages, not counting personal letters, telephone calls and emails. The messages and the emotions were as moving as they were a lesson in encouragement. They were a summary of the fears, anxieties and hopes of a great nation. Written separately, they came from every state and segment of the Nigerian society. They crashed one phone but I still have well over two-thirds saved in a second phone.

There were three common themes that ran through nearly all the messages. First, there was the general feeling among most well wishers that this was long in coming and (my) patience had been rewarded. Two persons, one a priest and the other a laywoman quoted the Hausa proverb that said, what belongs to the frog can never go up the sky! Secondly there were those who said that the timing of the appointment and location were perfect. Governor Yuguda sent me a long text lamenting the fracture of the North and prayerfully hoping that the Sultan and I would be part of the healing of the area. Thirdly, the Sultan was almost literally a recurring decimal. I have to remind people that I have not been appointed to be member of the Sokoto Emirate Council, nor have I been asked by the Holy Father to set up a Catholic Chaplaincy at the Sultan’s palace. Most text messages were optimistic that both of us could make a change on the issues of restoring confidence in the relations between Christians and Muslims in Nigeria. I truly pray and hope so.

Of course anyone who knows the Sultan will appreciate his incredible sense of openness, joviality and warmth. He has brought so much freshness and accessibility to the revered institution of the Sultanate. His simplicity has not diminished the respect and reverence that goes with the institution. He was glad to receive a delegation of about 40 Catholic bishops and priests in his palace on the eve of the big event. He threw open his guest houses, paid hotel bills for my guests and so on. In one hotel, my guests have to say whether their bills were to be put under Bishop Kukah or the Sultan. A good number of guests had told me well ahead of time that the sultan had already offered them accommodation.

Two minor incidents have made me really think again about how complicated God’s ways are. In 2006, we came to Sokoto for the 40th ordination anniversary of Bishop, Kevin Aje, then the bishop. On the day of the Mass, I was conscripted at the last minute to preach as the preacher had failed to turn up. At a reception in the office of the Deputy Governor, I met a gentleman who introduced himself as the Commissioner for Lands. I joked about getting a plot of land in Sokoto as I would love to live here. Strange enough the gentleman thought I was serious because later in the evening, his staff tracked me down and asked me to fill an application form which I did but never thought anything of it. Now, it seems I have to track my file. Secondly, some two years ago, I was speaking to the Sultan when the line went off. He called me back and jokingly asked if I had run out of credit. I jokingly said yes. In that case, he said, I think I will ask the Emirate council to take over the payment of your bills. Now, I am back to Sokoto and the Cathedral is now mine. What is left is for me to get my Land and hand over my telephone bills to the Emirate Council. This God na wah!

General Buhari captured the sentiments of many when he stated in his congratulatory message that he was afraid I would no longer be available for public engagements. No need to fear General. The Church has only given us a bigger platform. As long as injustice and hunger stalk this land, we shall continue with the struggle. We shall go to where the Lord sends us. Since God is everywhere, I shall consider myself a bishop without borders. After all, that crowd in Sokoto is evidence of the reward for the engagement across boundaries.

Finally, Nigeria and Nigerians, I love you and thank you so much. This journey seems long. The goal posts seem to shift so often. But no, they are nearer than you think. Nigeria and Nigerians, I will remember you each time I climb the altar or kneel down to pray. Our hands are on the plough. Together we shall never look back. The sun will shine and the smiles will return sooner than later. I thank God that I was born in this sacred land among such a beautiful people. I do truly love you all.

• Kukah is Bishop of the Catholic Church, Sokoto Diocese

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63919:kukah-thank-you-nigerians-thank-you-nigeria&catid=38:columnists&Itemid=615
Re: Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah Says "thank You Nigeria"! by Mrbigman1(m): 10:25am On Feb 14, 2015
I love bishop kuka much. I have had much encounter with him when he was a priest in Kaduna, I think he was a rector of a seminary or so then a secretary to bishop yaro and I can't remember cos it's ve been a very long time u know.
I was born in kaduna Zaria to be precise, I grew up a Catholic (normal religion for Igbos) and an alter boy which made me encounter him much but most of all, his public presentations, his public reputation and diplomatic and public relations abilities made me fall in love with his ways.
Bishop kuka is just an icon and most of all a model for me to follow.
I still remember father Ibeh in sokoto diocese coming down to Zaria for revivals and so forth.
The catholic church is really blessed and we need to live by Good examples so that the word of Christ would spread not just by our evangelism but also by our ways of life people emulate from a distance in time.

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi Law Maker & His AK 47 Rifles / Obama' Health Care Bill(rfid) / Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.