Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,992 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? (10011 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / Pastor Enters Into Church On A Hoverboard (Photos) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Toonice(m): 3:36pm On Oct 13, 2011
if yes why? and where it is in bible
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by cantell(m): 3:48pm On Oct 13, 2011
Toonice:

No one's forcing you to attend church services on sunday.
You can either go or sit your lazy a$$ at home.
"Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee." (Deuteronomy 5:12).
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Image123(m): 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2011
Not many things are compulsory in walking with God, so MANY things are necessary though.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2011
Toonice:

Watchout and see who is lurking in the corner ready to pounce on the unsuspecting stray sheep!

Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by jayriginal: 8:09pm On Oct 13, 2011
OK. All the replies so far have not been fair.
@Olaadegbu, I disagree with many of your posts, but even till now, I do not recall seeing you insult people who disagree with you ( I may be wrong, but I think he takes without dishing out) so I am willing to accord you respect ( we must agree to disagree).
The poster is asking if it is compulsory to go to church on Sunday.

Lets look at Romans 14:5. How do you interpret it ? It reads according to the KJV "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Considering the original post, and this verse, if anyone interprets it to mean Sunday can be considered not special, what will be your counterpoint ?
Also consider that Sunday is not the actual Sabbath ( I expect any serious christian to know that).

Olaadegbu, I humbly await your reply.

PS
Please I beg you, engage me with your own understanding. Please do not rely on internet arguments as many do on this forum.
Thank you.
Jay.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by tessyade: 8:29pm On Oct 13, 2011
@jayriginal, inasmuch as the scripture you quoted is true yet it is not applicable in all cases. Why you have scriptures that said "Do not" as is the case in Hebrews 10 vs. 25, there is no need for personal conviction, it is a command. Is like when God said "do not steal" ,and you now quote the scripture you used to mean " i will not stop stealing until i am convinced personally that it is a wrong act. The order or instruction is from God so personal conviction or persuation does not apply here. Shalom!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by jayriginal: 9:31pm On Oct 13, 2011
tessyade:

@jayriginal,
inasmuch as the scripture you quoted is true yet it is not applicable in all cases.

I was asking Olaadegbu, but thanks for your response all the same. In what case may it be said to be applicable ?

tessyade:

@jayriginal,

Why you have scriptures that said "Do not" as is the case in Hebrews 10 vs. 25, there is no need for personal conviction, it is a command. Is like when God said "do not steal" ,and you now quote the scripture you used to mean " i will not stop stealing until i am convinced personally that it is a wrong act. The order or instruction is from God so personal conviction or persuation does not apply here. Shalom!
This part, I honestly do not understand. Do you care to elucidate ?

Olaadegbu, in furtherance to my post above, can you please share your understanding of this verse (in light of the original post)
Colossians 2:16 which reads " Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

Together we have this
Romans 14:5 "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." and,
Colossians 2:16 which reads " Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

How do you interpret these, in light of the original post ?
Consider that the epistles of Paul were written long before the gospels, long long before there was a "bible" to speak of. Consider that they were written to address individual needs. Consider also that Paul tried to sever dependence on the laws of Moses (old testament) which Jesus considered immutable (Mathew 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. And all has not been fulfilled yet so, ).
So, Olaadegbu, can you throw light on these bible passages espcially as regards the OP ?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Joagbaje(m): 5:55am On Oct 14, 2011
Toonice:

The bible makes us o understand that the early church officially meets for major worship on Sunday ( the lords day)

The bible also says we should not miss those meetings.

Hebrews 10:25
25 Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, .
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Freiburger(m): 9:14am On Oct 14, 2011
no.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Oct 14, 2011
I say no!!

Infact after Jesus died, the church (temple) became obsolete.

Now all you have to do is kneel down and talk to God in your own room. Church is just an avenue for pastors to extort and launder money.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by binigirl(f): 9:52am On Oct 14, 2011
@Poster: It is not compulsory to go to church on Sundays, but true christian must not neglect the gathering of fellow believers because iron sharpens iron,
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by freecocoa(f): 9:56am On Oct 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

I say no!!

Infact after Jesus died, the church (temple) became obsolete.

Now all you have to do is kneel down and talk to God in your own room. Church is just an avenue for pastors to extort and launder money.
. Ah Ah bros that's not entirely true na though you can kneel down and talk to God that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to church, Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy(even though I don't believe going to church is the only way to do this)but its a commandment from God,I remember when I was much younger,I was always looking for a way to dodge going to church especially prayer meetings,my excuse being that I can stay at home and pray and God will answer me(which is true of course)but my mum reminded me that wherever two or more are gathered in his name he is there,not as if he won't be with me if I pray alone but my people have a saying which goes,if we gather together and urinate it will foam better,in other words two heads are better than one,she also said that it is better to go where brethren are gathered than to offer the sacrifice of a fo o l is h person.

Its true that most churches and pastors are nothing to write home about,but one needs counsel and guidance in the things of the lord,you don't expect a baby christian or new convert to be able to know everything on his own,he needs a spiritual director,one may say the holy spirit can direct him(true)but the holy spirit can also pass through someone,most times we go to church not just to worship GOd but to also belong to a family in the lord outside our own because its important.
I won't say going to church is compulsory but I must say its necessary cause someday you may need help that only a church can provide,but of course if you are a born again christian you would know this.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by denitro(m): 9:57am On Oct 14, 2011
Know then that ev'ry soul is free,
To choose his life and what he'll be;
For this eternal truth is given,
That God will force no man to heaven.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:06am On Oct 14, 2011
Joagbaje:

The bible makes us o understand that the early church officially meets for major worship on Sunday ( the lords day)

The bible also says we should not miss those meetings.

Hebrews 10:25
25 Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, .

Hi Joe. is that not called embellishing  grin it did not say Sunday. it actually said Saturday, but no matter worship on any day is okay. I have always supported social gatherings - if only Muslims actually went to the Mosque to do more than just pray
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by obelisk(m): 10:06am On Oct 14, 2011
God made one day for rest and that's the day we choose to disturb him the most.
Its compulsory to meet as Christians but i don't think Sunday or any other day is compulsory.
But I think a serious minded networker should go to church every Sunday without fail.Business full that place.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by ImaIma1(f): 10:08am On Oct 14, 2011
the bible says , "do not forsake the fellowship of the brethren, " but i dont remember the verse. some of us are used to running to church only when theres a problem. why dnt u just kneel down and pray then.dont mind okija dudu o.d fact that a pastor is shortening his days by stealing money doesnt mean u shouldnt go n worship.
  afterall we pay our taxes whether or not the authorities are enriching themselves.for example you pay nepa bill even when there is no light.
   stop looking for an excuse to go and play ball or watch tv on sundays. respect God.look for reasons why u should go to church and not why u shouldnt.
 u dont need anyone to say go or dont go.we r personally responsible for our decisions. if ur present church is not helping, look for a church tht u feel part of. dont follow wrong trends.every man for himself.
hello am imaima.kinda new on d block.and kinda pleased to meet u guys sha
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by yimzy(f): 10:22am On Oct 14, 2011
Is not compulsory but necessary.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by HISchild: 10:42am On Oct 14, 2011
The churches have been GOD's new testament heritage for almost 2000 years, HIS house, but truly, The age of the new testament church has been at an end, (just like the old testament church / congregation, i.e., the nation of Israel at the time The Lord JESUS CHRIST went to the cross), and GOD has given definite commands for HIS own elect / saints to come out of them (Mark 13:14, Matt 24:15-16, 2 Thess 2:3-12, Rev 18: 3-7, etc).  he who has an ear to hear will hear, by the mercy and goodness of GOD. 
-----
I pass no personal judgment, GOD HIMSELF IS JUDGE.  In fact, The Lord Jesus Christ says “Judge not, that ye be not judged”.

but i tell you -

In this day, these very last days, you hear "peace and safety" and "breakthrough", financial, "miracles" or some other sort.  It is not a day of peace for all, but desolation for many. "For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" - 1 Peter 4:17

Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD. Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.” - Jer 23:1-2

Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto  you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.  They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.” - Jer 23:16-17 --->But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For ourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape."- 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

Be warned,  The gospel of The Lord JESUS CHRIST is about our reconciliation to GOD through HIMSELF (Acts 4:12),  “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” - Rom 3:23, “For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of GOD [is] eternal life through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.” - Rom 6:23. 

Not as is commonly taught today in churches re: covetousness / materialism, signs and wonders, etc. "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"- Mark 8:36 . Also, GOD ALMIGHTY is The miracle working GOD.  However, where you have The Original, there are almost always counterfeits - "And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live." - Revelation 13:13-15 - (see also & compare Dan 8:25, Matt 24:15, & 2 Thess 2:3-4)

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." - 1 Timothy 4:1

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned to fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
============
Let me encourage everyone, self included, to be a follower of GOD, The Lord JESUS CHRIST only, by HIS grace (not our works), particularly in this day and age (in these very last days), wherein are many deceivers. Stay in the infallible, life-giving, true word of GOD, which is pure, abides forever and never deceives. Keep reading and keep praying (1 Thess 5:17), "watch and pray".

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."
- Romans 3:4
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by freecocoa(f): 10:47am On Oct 14, 2011
@ ima Ima,welcome to the family,just fasten your seat belt cos its gonna be a bumpy ride here and you'll love it,there's never a dull moment with NL,lots of crazies,intelligent people,weird people,wicked people,you name it are all here even spirits and dead people sef. Enjoy your stay dear.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by shumno(f): 11:01am On Oct 14, 2011
All I know is that as a Christian you need to fellowship with other believers. How do you get to grow, by sharing and also getting encouragement from others.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by tEsLim(m): 11:06am On Oct 14, 2011
Its better not to join any of the cult church. And to be liberated than even thinking about going. Set yourself FREE and enjoy life to the fullest
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by didoflex(m): 11:19am On Oct 14, 2011
The so called 'Sabbath Day" is observed by many other Religions apart from Christianity.

The Sabbath or a sabbath is generally a weekly day of rest and/or time of worship observed in Abrahamic religions and other practices.

From Judaism to Christianity, Buddhism to Islam etc.

I guess if you decide to follow any Religion to its last detail you must observe the so called "Sabbath" day.

However, the world has changed and Religion has become commercialized so I guess you can sit at home and pray instead rather than make some Pastor "Tithe" rich!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by ImaIma1(f): 11:44am On Oct 14, 2011
thanks freecoca i will survive.
why is it that it is mostly guys that look for every reason not to go 2 church? i have noticed it.its just an observation.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by MMM2(m): 12:05pm On Oct 14, 2011
yes if u re a christian
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by logic101: 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2011
The origin of christians worshipping God on sunday comes from the early romans worshiping the indo -aryan / iran/ persian God called mithra.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by engrj(m): 12:22pm On Oct 14, 2011
Yes
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2011
@ poster,

It depends on what you define as a church. However if you are a member of a church that meets on Sunday by all means endeavour to fellowship with the brethren on Sunday. It is necessary to edify you.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by badmrkt(m): 12:34pm On Oct 14, 2011
not compulsory but it is necessary.can't remember the last time i went to church.GOD have mercy on me. cry cry cry cry
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by agentzakky(m): 1:15pm On Oct 14, 2011
i laughed my butt off when i read this subject, op we share the same idea but i'll tell you its not compulsory but necessary if you dont want to lose your soul to the devil. we that doesn't like to go to church like to delude ourselves that we are better off than some church goers. the church, i believe is meant to keep us in alignment with God's commandment and to know when we are derailing from His words.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by cyber6(m): 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2011
obelisk:

God made one day for rest and that's the day we choose to disturb him the most.
Its compulsory to meet as Christians but i don't think Sunday or any other day is compulsory.
But I think a serious minded networker should go to church every Sunday without fail.Business full that place.

lol! someone once ask that "Who listens and even rewards all the worshipers that troops to church on Sundays because as for God he is having a rest on Sunday, obviously if someone is in a rest mode, he wouldn't want to be bothered with all the drum beats, songs coming out of the churches on Sundays "
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by Gbenge77(m): 1:46pm On Oct 14, 2011
For a practising christian,it is compulsory.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Go To Church On Sunday? by OnyeBabe1(f): 2:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
Most of the replies are hilarious. I personally do not think it is compulsory to go to church on Sunday, we have to make sure that we all dont start misinterpreting the Bible so that it fits with what we think and feel. Your relationship with God is not quantified or accessed by what others can see you doing or what others think is right. It helps to worship with others because for me it is more fun and I like sharing that experience but at the same time bear in mind that many of the horrible things done on a daily basis are done by people who go to church.

There are many of us that go to church everyday but when outside the church we behave horribly to people, act rudely, judge others, indulge in fraudulent behaviour etc. So going to church every Sunday doesn't make you a good Christian.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child / Can One Be In A Relationship And Not Engage In Immoral Acts? / S’africa Orders Chirst Embassy Church To Stop Faith Healing Ads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.