Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. (13682 Views)

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). / Some Really Usefull Tips About Shipping A Car/truck To Africa: / Best Way To Ship A Car To Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BizBooks(m): 4:32pm On Oct 13, 2011
This replaces my earlier attempt to outline the processes involved in shipping a car to Nigeria.

This instruction is written for the benefit of the individual expecting a car from the US either via RORO or container. It may help you figure out when somebody is telling you “stories”. The steps outlined here refer to the US market but may be similar for Canada, Europe and Asia.

1. The first step in the shipping process is the completion of the dock receipt. A dock receipt is a form obtained from shipping companies and contains the names and addresses of the shipper and receiver, car details, title number, VIN etc.

2. Once the shipping company receives the completed dock receipt, they will process it and send back to you in a day or two. The processed dock receipt will be slightly different from the one you originally sent to them and will include the Port where your car should be dropped off.

3. Upon receipt of the processed dock receipt, make 6 copies and also 6 copies of the car’s title (front and back). 6 copies appear to be the standard as every shipping company I have dealt with asked for the same number. If you forget to make the copies, you may have to pay $1 per copy at the Port.

4. Take your car to the Port along with the documents. The Port staff will accept your car, stamp the documents and return one stamped and signed dock receipt to you. The stamp will include the date the car was brought to the Port. Remember, unlike Europe, US Customs will not allow any goods inside the boot or interior of the car. But they may allow items meant for the car eg tyres, engine oil, bumper etc. I specifically mentioned these three because I have included them in the past without any problem.

5. By now, you must have known the date your vessel is scheduled to set sail. But if you don’t, call the shipping company and get that. A day after the vessel is supposed to have sailed, call the shipping company and find out if that indeed did happen. If not (which actually happens more often than not), they will give you a new date if available. But if the ship sailed as scheduled, then you should be receiving a notice to pay the shipping fee 4 or 5 days later.

6. Once you receive the notice, it means that your Bill of Lading is ready. Do not delay, pay the shipping fee as soon as possible. Some shipping companies will give you the option of paying via direct deposit. If that is not available, send a cheque via next day delivery. Upon receipt of your payment, they will send the Bill of Lading to you. Also, some shipping companies will give you the option of paying $20 extra to receive the Bill of Lading via courier. I normally select this option if I can’t afford to wait for the normal 5 day Post Office delivery. The goal is to receive the Bill of Lading as soon as possible so you can send it to Lagos to avoid incurring demurrage.

7. Once you receive the Bill of Lading, make a copy for your records. Then send all the originals via courier to your clearing agent in Lagos. While your agent awaits the arrival of the originals, email him a photocopy so he can start talking to his Customs contacts. When sent via Fedex or UPS, the Bill of Lading usually arrives Lagos in 5 – 7 days. Do not send it any other way apart from courier unless you have somebody traveling to Lagos.

8. Upon receipt of the Bill of Lading, your agent will tell you if the vessel is already in Lagos or not. If it is, he will begin the clearing process. If not, he will tell you when it is expected to arrive. Stay in constant contact with your agent or he may leave your car and work on other pressing tasks.

Finally, if you are in Nigeria waiting for your car, you may not have much control over items 1 - 7. But you will get an idea of what to ask for once somebody tells you they have shipped your car. If you don’t ask for anything else, ask for a copy of the stamped dock receipt. It will include the name and phone number of the shipping company, the name of the vessel, Port and date of departure etc. With that information, you can call the shipping company any time and get the facts. If your shipper refuses to provide you with the stamped dock receipt, then there may be a problem.

P.S: If it ever gets to the point of calling the shipping company, most of them will only require the last 6 digits of your car's VIN number. So have that ready when you call.

Others should feel free to include any points I missed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by jbak: 9:44pm On Oct 23, 2011
Nice piece of info.  wink
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 24, 2011
Biz,

Well written and simple enough. Your credibility and regard are gradually soaring here and the sky is the start if you maintain them. I pray you dont soil things with one wrong deal that will bring all crashing.Amen.

Keep it up.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by anelkamak: 8:31am On Nov 09, 2011
@BizBooks, Please I will appreciate it if you can send your contact to my email address: anelkamak@yahoo.com. I will like to discuss something with you. Best regards.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by femmy2010(m): 9:06am On Nov 09, 2011
It certainly doesnt get anymore detailed than this.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by luvtoyota(m): 10:09am On Dec 09, 2011
How many days does it take for custom to clear the car ? 45 days ? From what I gather , if customs doesn't clear , the car is not booked for sailing .

Tell me from your experience
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BizBooks(m): 11:12am On Dec 09, 2011
luvtoyota:

How many days does it take for custom to clear the car ? 45 days ? From what I gather , if customs doesn't clear , the car is not booked for sailing .

Tell me from your experience

When you say "if customs doesn't clear, the car is not booked for sailing.", I assume you are referring to US Customs. If that's the case, here's my experience:

In the past 3 years, I have shipped more than 30 cars to Nigeria. During that time frame, US Customs rejected my car only once due to an un-signed lien release. So if your documents are complete and proper, US Customs can process and approve them in a short period of time (usually less than a week).
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by luvtoyota(m): 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2011
ok
So it takes about a week if the work load is light at the US custom end ?
When the car clears us custom , is there an alert to the shipping line or is the car booked for sailing automatically ?
What do us customs look out far apart from documentations , do they pieces the car in looking for drugs etc as a friend suggested

Thanks
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BelloSKK: 12:41am On Jan 23, 2013
BizBooks: This replaces my earlier attempt to outline the processes involved in shipping a car to Nigeria.

This instruction is written for the benefit of the individual expecting a car from the US either via RORO or container. It may help you figure out when somebody is telling you “stories”. The steps outlined here refer to the US market but may be similar for Canada, Europe and Asia.

1. The first step in the shipping process is the completion of the dock receipt. A dock receipt is a form obtained from shipping companies and contains the names and addresses of the shipper and receiver, car details, title number, VIN etc.

2. Once the shipping company receives the completed dock receipt, they will process it and send back to you in a day or two. The processed dock receipt will be slightly different from the one you originally sent to them and will include the Port where your car should be dropped off.

3. Upon receipt of the processed dock receipt, make 6 copies and also 6 copies of the car’s title (front and back). 6 copies appear to be the standard as every shipping company I have dealt with asked for the same number. If you forget to make the copies, you may have to pay $1 per copy at the Port.

4. Take your car to the Port along with the documents. The Port staff will accept your car, stamp the documents and return one stamped and signed dock receipt to you. The stamp will include the date the car was brought to the Port. Remember, unlike Europe, US Customs will not allow any goods inside the boot or interior of the car. But they may allow items meant for the car eg tyres, engine oil, bumper etc. I specifically mentioned these three because I have included them in the past without any problem.

5. By now, you must have known the date your vessel is scheduled to set sail. But if you don’t, call the shipping company and get that. A day after the vessel is supposed to have sailed, call the shipping company and find out if that indeed did happen. If not (which actually happens more often than not), they will give you a new date if available. But if the ship sailed as scheduled, then you should be receiving a notice to pay the shipping fee 4 or 5 days later.

6. Once you receive the notice, it means that your Bill of Lading is ready. Do not delay, pay the shipping fee as soon as possible. Some shipping companies will give you the option of paying via direct deposit. If that is not available, send a cheque via next day delivery. Upon receipt of your payment, they will send the Bill of Lading to you. Also, some shipping companies will give you the option of paying $20 extra to receive the Bill of Lading via courier. I normally select this option if I can’t afford to wait for the normal 5 day Post Office delivery. The goal is to receive the Bill of Lading as soon as possible so you can send it to Lagos to avoid incurring demurrage.

7. Once you receive the Bill of Lading, make a copy for your records. Then send all the originals via courier to your clearing agent in Lagos. While your agent awaits the arrival of the originals, email him a photocopy so he can start talking to his Customs contacts. When sent via Fedex or UPS, the Bill of Lading usually arrives Lagos in 5 – 7 days. Do not send it any other way apart from courier unless you have somebody traveling to Lagos.

8. Upon receipt of the Bill of Lading, your agent will tell you if the vessel is already in Lagos or not. If it is, he will begin the clearing process. If not, he will tell you when it is expected to arrive. Stay in constant contact with your agent or he may leave your car and work on other pressing tasks.

Finally, if you are in Nigeria waiting for your car, you may not have much control over items 1 - 7. But you will get an idea of what to ask for once somebody tells you they have shipped your car. If you don’t ask for anything else, ask for a copy of the stamped dock receipt. It will include the name and phone number of the shipping company, the name of the vessel, Port and date of departure etc. With that information, you can call the shipping company any time and get the facts. If your shipper refuses to provide you with the stamped dock receipt, then there may be a problem.

P.S: If it ever gets to the point of calling the shipping company, most of them will only require the last 6 digits of your car's VIN number. So have that ready when you call.

Others should feel free to include any points I missed.
Sir, please, is www.salvageworld.net realistic and reliable as a source for importing salvaged vehicles?
Please, would you recommend some reliable vehicle dealers/ suppliers in USA or Canada, OR eUROPE?
Thanks!
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BelloSKK: 12:43am On Jan 23, 2013
BizBooks:

When you say "if customs doesn't clear, the car is not booked for sailing.", I assume you are referring to US Customs. If that's the case, here's my experience:

In the past 3 years, I have shipped more than 30 cars to Nigeria. During that time frame, US Customs rejected my car only once due to an un-signed lien release. So if your documents are complete and proper, US Customs can process and approve them in a short period of time (usually less than a week).
Sir, please, is www.salvageworld.net realistic and reliable as a source for importing salvaged vehicles?
Please, would you recommend some reliable vehicle dealers/ suppliers in USA or Canada, or Europe?
Thanks!
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by wonie160: 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2013
I WANT TO BUY A 2005 TOYOTA SUV FROM USA.CAN SOMEONE ADVICE ME ON WHAT IT WILL COST ME TO SHIP AND CLEAR IN NIGERIA.PLEASE THE LOWERST COST I MUST SPEND TO HAVE MY CAR INGERIA WILL APPRECIATED.I HAVE SOMEONE TO BUY IT IN USA.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by upengineer: 2:53pm On Jan 25, 2013
@ bizbook
what are the differences, if any, between RORO SHIPPING and SHIPPING USING CONTAINER
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Lakehay21: 5:25pm On Feb 26, 2013
Pls can someone advise me on the documents that my clearing agent needs in order to clear my truck from the port.
Also as I am shipping from Belgium, Is it okay to let the shipping agency to ship the original documents of the vehicle to Nigeria or should I have it sent by post to NIgeria?
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BizBooks(m): 12:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
Lakehay21: Pls can someone advise me on the documents that my clearing agent needs in order to clear my truck from the port.
Also as I am shipping from Belgium, Is it okay to let the shipping agency to ship the original documents of the vehicle to Nigeria or should I have it sent by post to NIgeria?

Your agent will need the original Bill of Lading - BOL (that's all). You can get the BOL
from your shipping company after you have made full payment for the shipment. Some shipping
companies will offer to send the BOL to your agent but it is safer to do it yourself by
courier. Make sure you have a photocopy of the BOL before sending it to Lagos.

Also, to speed up the process, fax or email a copy of the BOL to your agent so he can start
the clearing process before the original arrives. Remember, Customs will only accept the
originals.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Emperoh(m): 4:48pm On Feb 27, 2013
BizBooks:

Your agent will need the original Bill of Lading - BOL (that's all). You can get the BOL
from your shipping company after you have made full payment for the shipment. Some shipping
companies will offer to send the BOL to your agent but it is safer to do it yourself by
courier. Make sure you have a photocopy of the BOL before sending it to Lagos.

Also, to speed up the process, fax or email a copy of the BOL to your agent so he can start
the clearing process before the original arrives. Remember, Customs will only accept the
originals.

Alternatively, for some shipping lines though, you may not need a Bill of Laden
But with a telex release, you could get your car out.

A telex release is basically a release authorisation from given to the shipping line in Nigeria
by the Shipper to release the unit to your recognized receiving agent in Nigeria; basically the clearing agent
However, the clearing agent must, in the event the shipment is not in his name, provide a form of identification of the recipient of the shipment.
This is basically applicable to cars. I don't know if it works the same way with other form of goods.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Lakehay21: 5:44pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thanks man... that's very enlightening.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 15, 2013
thanks man
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by samir101ng(m): 12:55pm On May 16, 2013
Very nice post. Thanks. But now that your car has arrived at the port, can anybody give us details on the procedures involved in clearing the car at the ports ? Will appreciate the information.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 19, 2013
To add to the OP's very informative post, the bill of lading will/should have the container number.

With this container number you can then track the voyage of your shipment from point to point using free websites online.

PS: This is for containerized goods, I haven't done a roro yet and I probably won't.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by komekn(m): 6:16pm On May 20, 2013
I'm not sure why this happens but it seems impossible in my experience to get a shippers agent to give me a definite shipping departure date and I'm not talking about 2/3 days out I'm talking weeks I have even had a three months wait. I always pay in full so either I have just been dealing with cowboys or its African time in the USA.

Your comments will be appreciated I have mostly shipped from Florida but I'm going to be in New York so I will probably be shipping from New Jersey or thereabouts.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by BizBooks(m): 11:33pm On May 21, 2013
komekn: I'm not sure why this happens but it seems impossible in my experience to get a shippers agent to give me a definite shipping departure date and I'm not talking about 2/3 days out I'm talking weeks I have even had a three months wait...

What shipping line are you using? Is it Grimaldi? Most people don't know this, but unlike
other shipping lines in the US, Grimaldi does not give an expected date of departure. Every
body wants to ship with them, but in the end, they receive more cars than they can handle.
Those thousands of cars at the Port waiting for Grimaldi cannot fit in one vessel. So if you
are unlucky, your car may have to wait for a second or even a third vessel and that takes
time.

If you want a shipping line that will give you expected date of departure, try Sallaum
Group. I have been using them since 2009.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Emperoh(m): 11:20am On May 22, 2013
BizBooks:

If you want a shipping line that will give you expected date of departure, try Sallaum
Group. I have been using them since 2009.

The thing about Grimaldi is that their terminal here is the safest (they still pilfer and vandalise though) so i don't get the hype really. My shipper won't hear of any other line aside Grimaldi.

Can you kindly advise what US ports ACL load from cos the waiting is already damaging business for boys.

then, do they do container?
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by Princesamsmith: 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2018
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here... I have been here for few weeks, I do more of reading. I believe I am posting in the right section. I am expecting a Lexus ES 330 2005 MODEL from USA and I really want to know how much I will need to clear it. Thanks all
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by pobeaf(m): 5:39am On Nov 14, 2018
Pls is it possible to buy a car without title and ship to Nigeria?
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by computerglobal(m): 5:57am On Nov 14, 2018
pobeaf:

Original vehicle title document is part of the requirements to ship a vehicle,but if you don't have it,an alternative documents would be asked of

Most Salvage Auction companies won't sell vehicles without title and some will ask you to wait for about 30days to process it

Over to my boss here
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by CarGuideNG: 6:12am On Nov 14, 2018
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. by CarGuideNG: 6:22am On Nov 14, 2018
pobeaf:

Hello Sir

Its possible to do so, though complicated. In some situations, a bill of sale is accepted.

The links below explain it in detail, one from a shipping company and the other directly from the US Government CBP in charge of overseeing vehicle export.

https://www.kinternational.com/how-do-you-ship-a-car-without-a-title-overseas/

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle

(1) (Reply)

Tyre Speed Ratings And What You Need To Know / Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On / Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.