Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,808 members, 7,806,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats (8725 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / Fashola Commissions Peninsula Integrated Power Project. . PICS... / Fashola Commissions 100 New Air-Conditioned Buses At Oshodi - PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Depilot(m): 12:55am On Oct 15, 2011
na today?
i think it is from a disease called "backward nigerians". i see am every day among nigerian nurses in yankee.
Aunty Cre8:
are you a mental disorder nurse or doc? i might have a client for you.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by hercules07: 3:45am On Oct 15, 2011
I think I agree with Eko Ile's assertion, the purpose of this project was for Lagos state to make money that can be used to take care of other needs, it is just like states investing in telecoms companies and then using the proceeds to better the life of their citizens, if Lagos state can partner with bigger mortgage institutions we will have more artisans and other professionals working and that will help the economy of the state, the rich should also have some things done for them too as they are also citizens of the state.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Depilot(m): 3:58am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^^^^^And what we are saying is, the ideal is excellent. But special attention should be paid to the way the units are distributed, or else the goal will not be fully accomplished.
The purpose of the project is for all 3 angles to benefit. 1, Lagos state to make money 2, Banks to make money 3, and citizens to have a decent environment to live with their families.
But if a structured distribution method isn't in place, it is a matter of 10 or 15 front-men of corrupt politicians to purchase the entire 72 units. These people have the money and always ready to take advantage of any opportunity that they come across.
72 units for sale is a great opportunity for corrupt politicians, and they will not hesitate to use their power to take advantage.

As usual, we have great ideas in Nigeria, what we do not have is the intelligence and patience to follow the appropriate steps to execute and maintain any project.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by wale4x35(m): 5:38am On Oct 15, 2011
Sometimes I wonder whether we have Governors in other western states angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Rhino5dm: 5:59am On Oct 15, 2011
[size=38pt]SAI FASHOLA 2015!!![/size]
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Mucokey(m): 7:05am On Oct 15, 2011
@ werepeLeri, where re Beaf n all oda Gej apologists? U guys neva ceased 2 amaze mi wheneva u ppl com 2 NL only 2 heat n propound issues. Y cant u guys jus think more of collective interest of nigeria masses n shield urselves away from dis impunity of only being apologetic 2 every of Gej course even wen he's on de verge of dwindling n shooting himself on de foot?
We all here aint lost in de context of world class projects via structural facilities n designs, y rant on de issue of BTF erection of world class n modern houses? As de case seems hia 2 be, even if des houses re 4 de super rich time ll com wen all des rich 1s ll make claim 2 their satisfaction thus, paving ways 4 de remaining lots 4 de 'poor masses' also.
Hasn't any1 taken time out 2 wonder n savour de rich taste of skyscrapers obtainable in cities of japan, indonesia, jarkata, switzerland, jus 2 mention bt a few or do u think only individual erections n ownerships ll bring abt n spring abt such development in a quick succession.
9ja o ni ba je
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by hercules07: 7:48am On Oct 15, 2011
@Depilot

I understand your concerns and you have a valid point, I hope Eko Ile can pass these concerns on to the appropriate authorities, ideally, people should submit applications and the houses should be allotted by a trusted company, I think the banks will also have a say in the allotments and you know our bankers work on padi padi basis.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by werepeLeri: 8:03am On Oct 15, 2011
Mucokey:

@ werepeLeri, where re Beaf n all oda Gej apologists? U guys neva ceased 2 amaze mi wheneva u ppl com 2 NL only 2 heat n propound issues. Y cant u guys jus think more of collective interest of nigeria masses n shield urselves away from dis impunity of only being apologetic 2 every of Gej course even wen he's on de verge of dwindling n shooting himself on de foot?
We all here aint lost in de context of world class projects via structural facilities n designs, y rant on de issue of BTF Attention of world class n modern houses? As de case seems hia 2 be, even if des houses re 4 de super rich time ll com wen all des rich 1s ll make claim 2 their satisfaction thus, paving ways 4 de remaining lots 4 de 'poor masses' also.
Hasn't any1 taken time out 2 wonder n savour de rich taste of skyscrapers obtainable in cities of japan, indonesia, jarkata, switzerland, jus 2 mention bt a few or do u think only individual erections n ownerships ll bring abt n spring abt such development in a quick succession.
9ja o ni ba je

Keep ranting like an headless rat. Go to those countries with those skyscrapers and ask those who occupy them. You thik they are the rich like is obtainable in Nigeria? Abegi, Fashola shi t shopper, move g one side.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by hercules07: 8:07am On Oct 15, 2011
@Werepe

Can you tell us what GEJ has done, also those skyscrapers are occupied by middle class people who should be able to afford the same comfort here.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by werepeLeri: 8:41am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^

You want to know what GEJ has done. Nothing, Ok. So whats your point? Because in your opinion, GEJ hasnt done anything, then we should not ask the question I asked how many poor people will buy one of the flats in the park? Or it rubbishes my question or comment about Fashola not building houses for the poor? Does GEJ not doing anything renders my questions useless?

Answer me.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by hercules07: 8:53am On Oct 15, 2011
I asked the question because you are always defending someone who is doing absolutely nothing, yet, you are tearing Fashola a new one because he built houses for the comfortable, Fashola's responsibility is to the midas and the mendicant, rich people do expect government to do some things for them, afterall, those who work to earn the money pay more tax than the poor people.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Reference(m): 8:56am On Oct 15, 2011
The only way to get housing affordable to the poor is to make a market of it, make it a tradable commodity.

Assuming there are 15 million poor (or tenancy disadvantaged) in Lagos and they are to be warehoused by government at a rate of say 800,000 naira per head (conservative est.), it will cost the government up to 12 trillion. Where will it get that kind of money.

Then you may say but of the 15 million who do not own their homes they don't exactly sleep on the streets do they. But if government takes it as a social responsibility who will want to lose his house, his right.

Then you'd have massive problems of allocation (as previously highlighted), issues of merit/demerit, who is an indigene, alien/foreigner or not, poverty definitions and redefinitions (like council housing in say, London), corruption, etc.

The problems are just massive. Thats why I think government should limit itself to creating the atmosphere, the market, be the tournament organiser and referee via. regulatory agencies and not seek the glory of participation.

How to create a market. One. Standards. Two. Standards. Three Standards. Fly over parts of the U.K., Spain, the US and its neat, well laid out and inviting. Fly over Lagos and its chaotic. Buildings scattered willy nilly. Tell me if you had equal opportunity to buy and sell won't you prefer the order of a supermarket over the chaos of a garage market -at least for those who have 15 trillion.

Shacks and shanties will never attract partnership investment but exploitative, pirate hostile takeovers, the kind of thing that turned those shanties to Lekki exclusive. Government must set standards for houses to reach the poor. Knock a few heads together. Encourage co.operatives.

I have a quarter plot, Bassey has half, Haruna has a quarter and Ade has a few feet. By planning rules none should get papers. Bring them together and via.a planning company increase the value of their holdings and make it attractive for investment.

That is the role of government. That is how housing will reach the poor.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by werepeLeri: 9:03am On Oct 15, 2011
hercules07:

I asked the question because you are always defending someone who is doing absolutely nothing, yet, you are tearing Fashola a new one because he built houses for the comfortable, Fashola's responsibility is to the midas and the mendicant, rich people do expect government to do some things for them, afterall, those who work to earn the money pay more tax than the poor people.

Your opinion, and it is a sin in the eye of God to want everyone to share that biased opinion of yours. U dig?

and asking questions is the same as tearing him? Abeg i -
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by hercules07: 9:28am On Oct 15, 2011
@Werepe

You have been attacking Fashola on so many threads, yet you defend GEJ, I can not just fathom it.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Bawss1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2011
Whats so hard to grasp, its all petty opposition politics. If you belong to one group you have to always portray the others in bad light whether they deserve it all not - at least that's how it operates here. Funny thing is they become agitated when similar treatment is metted out to them.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Omooba77: 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2011
How many working class can avoid it? Jakande houses were sold N6000 per flat.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by EkoIle1: 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2011
Omooba77:

How many working class can avoid it? Jakande houses were sold N6000 per flat.

The article clearly said this is not for working class folks and we are not in the seventies when Jakande was the governor, the value of the naira, price of blocks and cement ain't same.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by playmode(m): 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2011
Ridiculous price.R35 Million which equals R1.7 million in South Africa for those tiny apartments  shocked

Exchange rate : http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1700000&From=ZAR&To=NGN

Dude ,that is bullshit!

Here are the kind of Homes N35 Million (R1.7 million rands) or less will get you in South Africa :

http://www.pamgolding.co.za/property-search/south-africa/gauteng/houses/for-sale/18.aspx?locations=572&pricemax=2000000&sortorder=pricedescending&source=homepage

Naija is truely f*ucked up!

Why will i buy those tiny apartments for such a criminal sum when i get a fully loaded house for the same amount elsewhere with better supporting infrastructure.   undecided

I can not but wonder why Fashola is building such unaffordable homes.What is the point? No one in his right mind with N35 mill will buy those flats when he can build a mansion elsewhere with the same amount.The direction of Fashola's Government when it comes to housing is questionable.He is no where near Jakande's achievement when it comes to housing.He is providing houses to the rich who will in turn rent the homes to the middle class.

Such a shame for a man who HAD great potential.

I said it before and i will say it again : Nigerian homes are poorly built and way over priced!
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by anonimi: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2011
@ playmode & jason,

thanks for your critical analysis so far of the economics of this all-that-glitters-is-not-gold project from BRF.

@Eko Ile,

Your low cost housing link:

362 units

has a reputed cost of 7m. Is this correct?
If so who is considered a low income earner in LASG civil service i.e. the immediate employees of Mr. Fashola ?
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by anonimi: 8:51pm On Oct 15, 2011
@ jason,

would it be possible for you to obtain the Lagos state budget figures for 1979 to 1983?
I will greatly appreciate receiving the figures anytime soon.

Anyone else who can access these figures should also feel free to share them with me here.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by EkoIle1: 12:20am On Oct 16, 2011
playmode:

Riduclous price.R35 Million which equals R1.7 million in South Africa for those tiny apartments  shocked

Exchange rate : http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1700000&From=ZAR&To=NGN

Dude ,that is bullshit!

Here are the kind of Homes N35 Million (R1.7 million rands) or less will get you in South Africa :

http://www.pamgolding.co.za/property-search/south-africa/gauteng/houses/for-sale/18.aspx?locations=572&pricemax=2000000&sortorder=pricedescending&source=homepage

Naija is truely f*ucked up!

Why will i buy those tiny apartments for such a criminal sum when i get a fully loaded house for the same amount elsewhere with better supporting infrastructure.   undecided

I can not but wonder why Fashola is building such unaffordable homes.What is the point? No one in his right mind with N35 mill will buy those flats when he can build a mansion elsewhere with the same amount.The direction of Fashola's Government when it comes housing is questionable.He is no where near Jakande's achievement when it comes to housing.He is providing houses to the rich who will in turn rent the homes to the middle class.

Such a shame for a man who HAD great potential.

I said it before and i will say it again : Nigerian homes are poorly built and way over priced!

While digging up your irrelevant essay, why didn't you do a little research about the price of cement, land and building materials in SA and Nigeria and while you are at it, thrown in labor cost and prove to us that Lagos and SA are the same enviroment?

Till you do that, your essay is null and void.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by EkoIle1: 12:59am On Oct 16, 2011
anonimi:

@ playmode & jason,

thanks for your critical analysis so far of the economics of this all-that-glitters-is-not-gold project from BRF.

@Eko Ile,

362 units

If so who is considered a low income earner in LASG civil service i.e. the immediate employees of Mr. Fashola ?

We both know all this is irrelevant and redundant at least till you are able to list how much was spent constructing the houses from what was paid to acquire the land to material and manpower cost and overhead cost. This is how you determine if the prices are too much or too low.

I'm not even sure what you are going on and on about, we are talking about a project that was designed for high end and rich buyers and you are here complaining about low income? What part of the article you do not understand?

This is an investment project designed to make money, not to lose money and they never asserted that this flats are for low income people. If people want to pay a billion dollars for it, good for them and the state, it means more money for the state to spend on schools, hospitals, transportation and other social needs.

Low cost housing doesn't mean buying a house for 18,000 naira minimum wage, it means  the houses are priced lower than what's available elsewhere in the market place in conjunction with low interest rates and favorable lending terms.

Or do you mean lets say it cost the state 1 million to build a flat, they should give it to people for 50,000 naira because they are low income? What's your point really?

To tell you the truth, apart from investment projects like this very project, I don't think the government should be in any kind of government public housing scheme. The government can not satisfy everybody's accommodation needs  simply because market realities like the price of cement and other building materials including manpower dictates the price of the end product and in most cases, the cost pf the end product is still far and far away from the pockets of the same low income people and if you still say so what, then welcome to a foolish and bankrupt government.

Thousands of people leave their towns and villages everyday and head to Lagos looking for a better life which is fine, but every head inside Lagos strains the system and the state is not getting any extra assistance from the federal government for shouldering what's mostly their problem and failure.

With just 2 billion dollars, Lagos state can not adequately provide for everybody even though we hope and pray that it's possible, but these are the realities. People come in here to cry and yell, but always fail to be realistic with their expectations.

Everything in this world has limitations and the state's limitation is it's budget, you can not spend or function beyond your means.

Please get real.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by MMM2(m): 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2011
re d house free
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Pifa: 2:18am On Oct 17, 2011
The condominiums are expensive (for Lagos) but far from being luxurious. I used a 150-to-1 exchange rate to find the lowest-cost condominium in this complex and it came out as $233,333. That may seem quite stiff, but it follows the standard real estate logic the world over:

1) Location, location, location (the Lekki peninsula, I understand, is a high-price area)
2) The closer you are to water, the higher the cost of housing.

Furthermore, if you considered the cost the developer had to incur for installing portable water facility, off-grid electric power and sewer systems for this complex, you would understand why the condos cost as much as they do. Portable water, sewer system and electricity are normally supplied by the utility companies to the community. But since utilities companies don’t exist in Lagos, or are unreliable if they do exist, the developer has taken it upon itself to provide those basic infrastructures for this complex. It’s the same headache hotels in Lagos go through to provide a minimum standard of hospitality to their guests. That’s why hotel rooms in Lagos are inordinately expensive relative to the level of service they provide.

But bulletproof entry doors in a residential complex for ordinary citizens? I don’t envy people who live in Lagos.

I noticed there is no landscaping in this complex. This is rather curious given that the Lagos government has made the greening of Lagos an environmental mantra. I also noticed that there is no mention of an elevator in each building. Obviously, this is not a complex for older people or people with physical disability. Don’t they have Disability Access Laws in Lagos?

One last item: Why do they have an inverter in each unit? It makes no sense to me. (See page 6 of the developer's sales brochure in this link: http://www.skyebankng.com/images/projects/elegantcourt.pdf)
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by Bawss1(m): 8:58am On Oct 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

We both know all this is irrelevant and redundant at least till you are able to list how much was spent constructing the houses from what was paid to acquire the land to material and manpower cost and overhead cost. This is how you determine if the prices are too much or too low.

I'm not even sure what you are going on and on about, we are talking about a project that was designed for high end and rich buyers and you are here complaining about low income? What part of the article you do not understand?

This is an investment project designed to make money, not to lose money and they never asserted that this flats are for low income people. If people want to pay a billion dollars for it, good for them and the state, it means more money for the state to spend on schools, hospitals, transportation and other social needs.

Low cost housing doesn't mean buying a house for 18,000 naira minimum wage, it means  the houses are priced lower than what's available elsewhere in the market place in conjunction with low interest rates and favorable lending terms.

Or do you mean lets say it cost the state 1 million to build a flat, they should give it to people for 50,000 naira because they are low income? What's your point really?

To tell you the truth, apart from investment projects like this very project, I don't think the government should be in any kind of government public housing scheme. The government can not satisfy everybody's accommodation needs  simply because market realities like the price of cement and other building materials including manpower dictates the price of the end product and in most cases, the cost pf the end product is still far and far away from the pockets of the same low income people and if you still say so what, then welcome to a foolish and bankrupt government.

Thousands of people leave their towns and villages everyday and head to Lagos looking for a better life which is fine, but every head inside Lagos strains the system and the state is not getting any extra assistance from the federal government for shouldering what's mostly their problem and failure.

With just 2 billion dollars, Lagos state can not adequately provide for everybody even though we hope and pray that it's possible, but these are the realities. People come in here to cry and yell, but always fail to be realistic with their expectations.

Everything in this world has limitations and the state's limitation is it's budget, you can not spend or function beyond your means.

Please get real.

Tell them!
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by anonimi: 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2011
Pifa:

But bulletproof entry doors in a residential complex for ordinary citizens? I don’t envy people who live in Lagos.

That is what happens when you rob 18 million Peters (Lagosians) to pay a few Pauls (Tinubu, Fashola, Skyebank, ACN goons including their resident NL propaganda expert)  shocked.
You create needless insecurity and fear of armed robbers, assassins, area boys and other miscreants.
Only God knows how many people have died in their self-imposed prisons with burglary proofs in the event of fire. I remember reading something years ago about retd. Col. Lawan Gwadabe's family members dying in such a residential inferno.
Can you imagine what would happen if there was free education, higher education schorlarship & bursary, free primary health care, rural development etc

I noticed there is no landscaping in this complex. This is rather curious given that the Lagos government has made the greening of Lagos an environmental mantra.

Thought you should have realised by now that ACN is just a typical political party promise everything do very little or nothing. In short they are NATO- No Action, Talk Only.
The same way they talk about true federalism but have done nothing at NASS with increased legislators to sponsor amendment of constitution to that effect even in soft areas such as VAT distribution.
Re: Fashola Commissions 72 Units Of 3 Bedroom Flats by anonimi: 1:27pm On Oct 17, 2011
@ Eko Ile,

Thank you for your very long response. However you did not answer my simple Yes or No question:

362 units

Hopefully you will find time to reply to help me "get real"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Supreme Court Sacks Kebbi Gov, Orders Fresh Election / Twenty Die In Abia Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker / See What Igbos Are Saying About Olisa Metuh In Handcuffs, Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.