Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,616 members, 7,801,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! (7885 Views)

Namadi Sambo Hospitalized In US For Knee Surgery - Photo / VP Namadi Sambo Arrives At His Polling Unit In Kaduna [see Photos] / Interview With Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnap Suspect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Sunofgod(m): 9:05am On Oct 15, 2011
Strong indications emerged on Friday that the appointment of the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, as the head of the nation’s Economic Management Team, is causing disaffection in the Presidency.

Investigations showed that the decision of the President to place a special emphasis on the finance minister as the head of the EMT has resulted in subdued division and tension in the Presidency.

SATURDAY PUNCH gathered on good authority in Abuja that Vice-President Namadi Sambo is troubled by the decision to make Okonjo-Iweala the EMT head.

Okonjo-Iweala, a two-time finance minister, was given the additional responsibility of leading the country’s EMT by Goodluck Jonathan when the President handed out portfolios to the members of his cabinet last July.

The VP was set to have complained that with Okonjo-Iweala as the leader of the economic team, he had been stripped of what should have been his responsibilities, even though he still heads the National Council of Privatisation.

A top government official who confided in our correspondent on the condition of anonymity stated that Sambo was upset that he had been rendered virtually redundant with the existing arrangement, which seems like he is under the control of a minister.

The official told SATURDAY PUNCH that the strategic position assigned to Okonjo-Iweala had caused disharmony in the government as some of the ministers are said to be uncomfortable with the arrangement.

It was learnt that some of the ministers in strategic economic positions are displeased with the implied connotation that they are required to refer to one of their colleagues before taking crucial decisions.

SATURDAY PUNCH gathered that such ministers were not happy with the arrangement as they were also supposed to be controlling aspects of the economy as ministers.

The situation, it was learnt, was aggravated by the fact that some of the ministers find it difficult to have audience with the President when they want to discuss the affairs of the ministries they superintend with him (the President).

It was learnt that some of the ministers who attempted to have audience with the President were said to have queued at the waiting room of the Chief of Staff, Chief Mike Ogiadhome, without seeing him (Jonathan).

However, SATURDAY PUNCH investigations showed that the Presidency has taken steps to address the subdued tension being caused by the powers attributed to Okonjo-Iweala.

It was gathered that the Presidency was expected to address the issue at the current retreat for members of the Federal Executive Council holding at the Aso Rock Villa. It was learnt that arrangements had been concluded to pacify Sambo by making him to take control of the federal parastatals in the country.

This, it was learnt, was to ensure a harmonious relationship between the office of the President and that of the VP.

“The VP is upset. He used to be the head of the Economic Team. (But now) the VP is wondering why he has been sidelined and being made almost idle. The man is said to be complaining bitterly and the President, who does not want any rancour in the Presidency, has approved that all the parastatals be put under him,” the official said, not wanting to be mentioned because he was not officially authorised to speak on the issue.

“I can assure that one major decision that would come out of the retreat for cabinet members is to ensure that the VP issue is settled by putting him in charge of parastatals.”

But a source close to the Presidency dismissed the alleged rancour over the post given to Okonjo-Iweala by Jonathan as untrue.

The official argued that as the minister of finance, Okonjo-Iweala was the head of the Economic Team during the Obasanjo Administration, stressing that her position did not cause a division within the Presidency then.

The official said that if arrangements were made to put the parastatals under the control of the VP, it would not be as a result of a division in the Presidency and an attempt to pacify the VP as being claimed in some quarters.

The Presidency source debunked the claim that ministers were being prevented from having audience with the President.

He said the President believed that ministers should be allowed to preside effectively over the affairs of their ministries, rather being made to seek the approval of the President on every minor issue in the respective ministries they run.

The official stated that the FEC members were however happy with the President for giving them a free hand to award contracts within the limits provided for in the constitution.

“Who is saying so? But even you know that these are stories being peddled by people who have some ulterior motives. Was Okonjo-Iweala not heading the Economic Team under Obasanjo? It wasn’t the VP that was the head of the Economic Team, so why should he be upset that Okonjo-Iweala is coordinating the Economic Team?

“Look, I think for the first time, we have a President who is saying, ‘Let the ministers play their part in the governance of this country.’ By the way, what are they going to see the President for? If he is going to attend to all the ministers the way they want it, how is he going to govern the country?

“He has told them to award contracts which are within their reach and to bring those beyond them to the Executive Council of the Federation for deliberation. So, it is not true; things cannot continue like this,” the official said.

When contacted, the Senior Special Assistant (Media and Publicity) to the Vice-President, Mallam Umar Sani, denied that Sambo expressed dissatisfaction with the role of Okonjo-Iweala as a coordinating minister.

Sani said, “The Vice-President is a loyal vice-president and he has never complained to anybody.”

According to him, the President and the Vice-President are members of the Economic Team. He explained that the finance minister drove the economy, adding that Jonathan and Sambo were working for the progress of the country.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201110158594740
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by hercules07: 9:31am On Oct 15, 2011
The ministers should resign or is it by force to be in government?
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Sunofgod(m): 9:46am On Oct 15, 2011
- The citizens hate the woman . . . .
- The ministers hate the woman. . . . .
- The VP hates the woman. . . . . . .

What more will it take before this woman does the honourable thing and resigns?
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by naijaking1: 9:53am On Oct 15, 2011
Sun of god:

]
He said the President believed that ministers should be allowed to preside effectively over the affairs of their ministries, rather being made to seek the approval of the President on every minor issue in the respective ministries they run.

The official stated that the FEC members were however happy with the President for giving them a free hand to award contracts within the limits provided for in the constitution.

“Who is saying so? But even you know that these are stories being peddled by people who have some ulterior motives. Was Okonjo-Iweala not heading the Economic Team under Obasanjo? It wasn’t the VP that was the head of the Economic Team, so why should he be upset that Okonjo-Iweala is coordinating the Economic Team?

“Look, I think for the first time, we have a President who is saying, ‘Let the ministers play their part in the governance of this country.’ By the way, what are they going to see the President for? If he is going to attend to all the ministers the way they want it, how is he going to govern the country?

“He has told them to award contracts which are within their reach and to bring those beyond them to the Executive Council of the Federation for deliberation. So, it is not true; things cannot continue like this,” the official said.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201110158594740

The fruit of Iweala's ingenuity is simply begining to unfold. Last week she wisely advised that every federal bureau (NAFDAC, NDLEA, etc) should be moved out of the nations ports to improving their basic functioning. If you have ever mailed a package from overseas to Nigeria, you'll understand. The NAFDAC once intercepted an envelope with my brother's Bill of Laden and car keys with a remote fob, because they wanted to make sure "he's entitled to recieve oversea mails"

For years, contract awards have been the greatest source of corruption in Nigeria. If the presidency clearly states that ministers should follow laid down guidelines and award contracts within their scope, who will be against that

V.P Sambo is a smart man, because if Iweala succeeds, then the GEJ/Sambo administration would have succeeded, otherwise he could go to focus on the so-called economic team all he wants. Last time I checked he's an architect by training, he should be happy to have a professional work for him
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by PointB: 12:07pm On Oct 15, 2011
Point of correction sun of god, the citizens love the finance minister. Those other lazy ministers who cannot work with her or with the president directive should go get another job. It's as simple as that.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by hercules07: 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2011
I do not really like her but the guys should follow the instructions of the President, if they can not, let them resign.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2011
God news, this is first hand confirmation that she is doing her job. Game over before it began for Namadi Sambo.(VP)
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by TomFord: 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2011
Last time i checked the Veep does nothing but chair meetings

he's an architect by training not a financial guru

on one hand i buy the idea you don't need to see the president to take a decision but at least they should have his number for emergency decisions

everyone should know by now that the office of the Veep is not as pivotal as that of the finance/treasury

the real reason there's an office for the Veep is simply "continuity/succession if anything goes wrong with the president" added to that is that he/she can stand in for the boss on ceremonial occasions

so he should stop ranting
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by udezue(m): 2:09pm On Oct 15, 2011
The VP should know his place in the government. He can play the role of a VP when its needed. He has no business dealing with any finance or treasury team and from what we know he is an Architect so what does he know? Its quite immature of him to even voice his displeasure. If he cares about the country he will simply step out the way and allow the President to do what is right. The job of the VP is to support the President and take over when the President is no longer available. It seems the man is on some ego-trip.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Samxiulee: 2:12pm On Oct 15, 2011
They should stop the rumblings its Gej govt and its his name that history wij mention,if they are not happy they should resign
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by KnowAll(m): 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2011
VP is a useless post historically and Precedentedly, even in the USA, they are just a spear tyre. I remember Jonthan's first public engagement, I think it was under 20 or is it 17 world cup final in Abuja in Oct or Nov 09, when I SAW him I said to myself where the hell has this man been. Sambo accepted the job knowing the limitations and chores, basically that job is a non-job except the President wants you to be seen and heard. He should just hold his side and be obedient, otherwise whoever the President endorses from the North would be the next President and nothing the VP can do about it. undecided

If I were the VP, I keep my trap shut. Let Ngozi carry go joor.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by werepeLeri: 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2011
liesssssss
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by MrWhy1(m): 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2011
Okonji Iweala is over-rated. She is an agent of world bank and IMF. The enemies of progress are encouraging Sanusi to deplete our dollar reserves, so that it will create an opportunity to ask for loan from her Masters in the west. At the end of the day, GEJ will bear the brunt because the economy will be very weak.

GEJ should be very careful, there are a lot of people working against him to discredit him and pretending they are working for him. As it appears, it seems GEJ doesn't know much about economics.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Bawss1(m): 3:43pm On Oct 15, 2011
This is how the seed of disharmony is sown; select the right targets (here the VP and Finance minister) then start a whisper campaign (this unverified report from The Punch) now watch it grow. Since Nigerians love sensations whether true or not, this story will keep appearing in different forms till the truth puts and end to it. Just you watch!
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by mercenaryx(m): 3:50pm On Oct 15, 2011
It is now obvious that our V.P is an illiterate nama!, How can an educated man not know his own duty?, what concerns the VP and the financial aspect? It pains me that ppl like this still breathe. For Christ sake this man does not know anything about government or administrational stuffs, I even doubt if he can build a kiosk yet he call himself an architect.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by otokx(m): 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2011
interesting
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by seanet02: 4:15pm On Oct 15, 2011
Fresh Air
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 15, 2011
Bawss1:

This is how the seed of disharmony is sown; select the right targets (here the VP and Finance minister) then start a whisper campaign (this unverified report from The Punch) now watch it grow. Since Nigerians love sensations whether true or not, this story will keep appearing in different forms till the truth puts and end to it. Just you watch!
Have you forgotten that some Niger deltans also complained of Jonathan's redundancy when Yardua was still alive ? It's a simple fact.VPs are always spare tyres who know just a little going about many issues and this one unfolding to the public is one among others.It's better to be third than second cuz second are always a threat to first !
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2011
mercenaryx:

It is now obvious that our V.P is an illiterate nama!, How can an educated man not know his own duty?, what concerns the VP and the financial aspect? It pains me that ppl like this still breathe. For Christ sake this man does not know anything about government or administrational stuffs, I even doubt if he can build a kiosk yet he call himself an architect.

Logically,you are saying jonathan knows everything about government and administrative stuff and can take care of animals because he read zoology ? Nawao
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Dpharisee: 4:27pm On Oct 15, 2011
Mr--Why:

Okonji Iweala is over-rated. She is an agent of world bank and IMF. The enemies of progress are encouraging Sanusi to deplete our dollar reserves, so that it will create an opportunity to ask for loan from her Masters in the west. At the end of the day, GEJ will bear the brunt because the economy will be very weak.

GEJ should be very careful, there are a lot of people working against him to discredit him and pretending they are working for him. As it appears, it seems GEJ doesn't know much about economics.

I guess you are right; the West is forcing all these Bretton Wood puppets on Africa to do their bidding. Name them: Mustapha Abdul Jalil - Libya NTC leader (harvard economist)
Allasane Ouattara - Ivory Coast former IMF Deputy Director
Okonjo Iweala - World Bank Nigeria.
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf - Liberia (Harvard Economist)

Their theories have never helped Africa, the most successful country in Africa, Ghadafis Libya never took a loan nor adopted IMF/World BAnk austerity measures.
South Africa and the BRICS have abandoned IMF/World BAnk.
All that Iweala has to offer is advice GEJ to remove fuel subsidy and devalue the Naira.
Let her go back to World Bank and mange Europes collapsing economies, that woman may run down GEJ if he doesnt listen to the Nigerian people
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Dpharisee: 4:30pm On Oct 15, 2011
mercenaryx:

I wonder between you and him who is more illiterate. You must have written this with a bottle of Gulder in one hand and typing with one finger stained by oil from point and kill fish. grin grin grin
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by KnowAll(m): 4:33pm On Oct 15, 2011
[size=18pt]

Mr VP you are meant to be redudant that is what VP is about!!!! abi , see me see trouble oh [/size]undecided
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Dpharisee: 4:35pm On Oct 15, 2011
The VP has a lot of work to do as head of the electric power board. Nigerians are wating for him to deliver on power shikena. Okonjo na moimoi issue for him side.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by seanet02: 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2011
Spare Tyre
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 15, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]

Mr VP you are meant to be redudant that is what VP is about!!!! abi , see me see trouble oh [/size]undecided
But Atiku get levels pass obj between 1999- 2003 ? Or na because baba just come from ''big boys city'' ? grin
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by TotoSmells(f): 4:43pm On Oct 15, 2011
I have grave doubts that the President will allow a rift with Sambo to develop over the lady. I also know that her role must have been discussed before she was appointed.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by mallorca(m): 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 15, 2011
TotoSmells:

I have grave doubts that the President will allow a rift with Sambo to develop over the lady. I also know that her role must have been discussed before she was appointed.
NLERS and weird usernames,which one be totosmells again ? Lmao grin
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2011
What was d v.p thinking when he gave up being a state governour to accept being a v.p? He should get a pair of d 1999 constitution and find out what d role of a v.p is! Outside being a spare tire 2d president he has no role to play except d ones delegated to him by d president. Hope he is nt getting too ambitious, atiku is a case study 4him to reflect upon.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2011
byrron:

What was d v.p thinking when he gave up being a state governour to accept being a v.p? He should get a pair of d 1999 constitution and find out what d role of a v.p is! Outside being a spare tire 2d president he has no role to play except d ones delegated to him by d president. Hope he is nt getting too ambitious, atiku is a case study 4him to reflect upon.
The north never knew zoning will be ignored,so he saw himself as a potential pdp presidential candidate.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by arsenefc: 6:00pm On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^

Sambo is still in line to be our next president. After GEJ's 8 years, Sambo is next, and then Yoruba since Sambo would be filling in for the Ibos in 2019

Ibos are just fooling themselves.
Re: VP Namadi Sambo Unhappy With Okonjo-iweala - She's Rendered Me Redundant!! by ektbear: 6:19pm On Oct 15, 2011
i dey laff o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kwam1 Ignores Ambode Who Stood Up To Greet Him At An Event. / VIDEO: See What Youths Did To Female Police During Lockdown In Delta State D / Umahi: I Didn’t Defect To APC Over Presidential Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.