Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,300 members, 7,780,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:03 PM

First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport (20731 Views)

Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / Fuel Scarcity: Hope Rises As Three Petrol Vessels Berth At Lagos Port - Guardian / 18 Ships With Petrol Berth At Lagos Ports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by macjive01: 11:05am On Oct 15, 2011
In what can be regarded as the first sign of the success of government's efforts at creating inter modalism in the transport sector, inland water transportation has lifted 430 tonnes of freight off the roads in the country.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlMFouXxvRS0U457HXUOGxyCWEb7-rchm7BTy8hPVZSlB5Ops_[/img]
This feat was achieved recently when an indigenous company, NINON Nigeria Limited began transporting goods from their factory in Ajaokuta to the marketers in Onitsha using the Ajaokuta jetty in Ajaokuta, Kogi State through the recently dredged Lower River Niger.

As far back as 1960s, there had been various efforts at dredging the River Niger to make it navigable and ease problems associated with haulage of goods and services across the nation.

This however did not materialise until September,10, 2009 when the late President Umaru Yar' Adua flagged off the dredging exercise, signaling the beginning of a new era in water transportation. The contract to dredge the Lower Niger from

Baro in Niger State to Warri in Delta State, a distant of 572 Kilometres, which was awarded in December,2008 was broken into five lots and given to four different ( three indigenous and one foreign) contractors

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/columns/6627/2011/10/14/cheering_news_river_niger.html
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Beaf: 11:44am On Oct 15, 2011
This new route is a major achievement indeed and a revolution in the country's transportation system.
Without doubt, it will become the major artery for the transportation of foodstuff and industrial materials between North and South. Because water transport is so cheap and relatively maintenance free, it would lift the burden of heavy haulage of goods from our roads. It would be nice if both Edo and Ondo could be connected to it to relieve the roads (especially Lagos-Benin) off heavy timber traffic.

2 Likes

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by olabukola: 11:49am On Oct 15, 2011
I read somewhere that the river port project was abandoned long ago. I think i read it here let me look for it.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by GAR3TH(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2011
Cool nice to read that the river port is completed, any pictures?

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by KnowAll(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2011
When the dredging gets to Baro Niger State 500 odd km from the sea, then I would know they have done well. Until then na wait and see. Baro by rail to Abuja is less than 100 km.  It would be phenomenon feat if they can achieve that.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by macjive01: 11:54am On Oct 15, 2011
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by olabukola: 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-779308.0.html

Here is the link. Should the Mods verify threads b4 bringing it out to the forum.?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:01pm On Oct 15, 2011
Leadership (Abuja)
Nigeria: Cheering News From River Niger

Abiodun Oladunjoye

14 October 2011

Email|
   Print|
   Comment

Share:
on Twitter Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Muti StumbleUpon

opinion

In what can be regarded as the first sign of the success of government's efforts at creating inter modalism in the transport sector, inland water transportation has lifted 430 tonnes of freight off the roads in the country.

This feat was achieved recently when an indigenous company, NINON Nigeria Limited began transporting goods from their factory in Ajaokuta to the marketers in Onitsha using the Ajaokuta jetty in Ajaokuta, Kogi State through the recently dredged Lower River Niger.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201110141302.html
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by GAR3TH(m): 12:01pm On Oct 15, 2011
macjive01:

more photo

Thats not onitsha port thats the photo they used for the article [which is common] that is why I asked if there are any photos.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2011
macjive01:

more photo
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpYIb9pqkE1qO2aiD1VGshyQvP7UE7FddYfvQmYO-6mGP9gOHwZg[/img]

be sensible that is not the port
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by aljharem3: 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2011
very cool.

the next river port would be Kogi state

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by seanet02: 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2011
Can someone change the title to River port?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2011
Beaf:

This new route is a major achievement indeed and a revolution in the country's transportation system.
Without doubt, it will become the major artery for the transportation of foodstuff and industrial materials between North and South. Because water transport is so cheap and relatively maintenance free, it would lift the burden of heavy haulage of goods from our roads. It would be nice if both[b] Edo[/b] and Ondo could be connected to it to relieve the roads (especially Lagos-Benin) off heavy timber traffic.

Agenebode in edo state was supposed to be one of the river ports to be built.i do not know the situation now.

i am not sure if a lot of nigerians are aware of the bolded
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

very cool.

the next river port would be Kogi state

is lokoja port not functioning?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Beaf: 12:07pm On Oct 15, 2011
macjive01:

more photo
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpYIb9pqkE1qO2aiD1VGshyQvP7UE7FddYfvQmYO-6mGP9gOHwZg[/img]

I can swear that this is Warri Port.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2011
Beaf:

are you sure?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by macjive01: 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2011
being fuuny. but the crane in the first  photo is exactly same type available in the onitsha seaport
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by jmaine: 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2011
^^^
Drama don begin  cheesy
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by aljharem3: 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2011
asha 80:

is lokoja port not functioning?

does not look like so to me.

if not then dangota shold ship it directly through lokoja instead of lagos
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by GAR3TH(m): 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2011
Beaf:

Try florida

http://www.locateocala.com/distribtution-channels/seaport-access
http://www.tampaport.com/

But it a fact that the Onitsha river port is completed, were just trying to find the right pictures.

I believe ezeagu post them a while back.

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by macjive01: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2011
seanet02:

Can someone change the title to River port?

hater, what is the definition of seaport and river port ?

what ever ur definition is, u can as well say apapa port is a "same -name -u-choose-to-give-onitsha port"  becos both are accessed by a canal

apap via taqua bay

onitsha via niger ocean .  grin grin
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Beaf: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2011
asha 80:

Agenebode in edo state was supposed to be one of the river ports to be built.i do not know the situation now.

i am not sure if a lot of nigerians are aware of the bolded

Hmm! I never knew about the Agenebode port, but come to think of it, there are several ferry crossings to Kogi from Northern Edo. Nice.
As for your bolded comment, here's an addition, the railway line from Port Harcourt runs parallel to River Niger for much of the journey upward (map below). Its easy to see that rail line becoming yet another major artery between North and South. I see massive growth coming to Asaba, Warri and of course, Onitsha.
The area is opening up for business in major ways, all those industries in Nnewi (and surrounding areas) will in the near future be spoilt for choice for cheap transportation outlets.

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 12:23pm On Oct 15, 2011
No doubt the minister was elated at the volume of work done at the Onitsha port where the indigenous contractor, Messers Inter Bau Nigeria limited had recorded[b] 95per cent[/b] completion of the project which is awaiting commissioning by Mr. president before the end of the year.

Sadly however, the same success story could not be told of the Baro and the Oguta ports where, though appreciable progress have been made, problems associated with access roads and funding respectively continue to bog down the projects. Senator Umar has however assured that these issues would be tackled and resolved very soon. Speaking further, the minister said that legal problems associated with the[b] Lokoja[/b] port would soon be settled.

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Beaf: 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2011
GAR3TH:

Try florida

http://www.locateocala.com/distribtution-channels/seaport-access
http://www.tampaport.com/

But it a fact that the Onitsha river port is completed, were just trying to find the right pictures.

I believe ezeagu post them a while back.

You are right indeed. But it really does look like Warri Port (pic below).

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by aljharem3: 12:25pm On Oct 15, 2011
asha 80:

I am yet to see Lokoja port not to talk of it being in action

Very annoying though
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by nduchucks: 12:32pm On Oct 15, 2011
The completion of Onitsha port would be a major accomplisment which we all should be proud of. We should give GEJ and his administration praises when they deserve it, we must also remember that the project began because of Yar'Adua. Lets wait for official dedication of the port before we start jumping up and down.

I was in Onitsha 3 weeks ago and can authoritatively tell you that the 'port' I saw is not ready for full time operations at all.  It would be a shame if they've started using that port for bringing in cargo. I wouldn't be surprised if the cargo was made up of contrabands. There are no full time employees in place who are able to process cargo ships. More importantly no computer system has been put in place to handle port activities. Lets wait for the right time to open the port, we don't need another port opened and subsequently shut down after a few months. That port is not ready, I can assure you people.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Beaf: 12:50pm On Oct 15, 2011
^
Computers and staff can be in place within a mere couple of weeks and the port is not due to be launched until next month.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by otokx(m): 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2011
why do we lie? can goods ships sail up water through the delta to onitsha? Is it just to commission phantom projects?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by togoman: 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2011
the pics you guys are brandishing here is nothing close to onitsha port, so please take away those pics and stop deceiving and misleading nigerians
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by KnowAll(m): 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2011
A regime that lies that they have completed a project should not blame contractors handling the project to also lie that they have finiish and need their balance. That is all I can say.! undecided
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2011
otokx:

why do we lie? can goods ships sail up water through the delta to onitsha? Is it just to commission phantom projects?

it is from kogi along the dredged river not from atlantic ocean
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by macjive01: 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2011
it can sail from atlantic ocean as well, infact it is perfect for ocean vessels becos there is no taqua bay to hold the up.

it is simply ferry in, off load and out the go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Probes Lopsidedness In Police Promotions( Against North) / Blessing Blackson, Wife Of Man Who Died Saving 6 In Boat Mishap Cries Out / Anthony Sani: South Exported Banditry, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery To The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.