Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

The North's Future And 'Almajirai' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The North's Future And 'Almajirai' (3357 Views)

FG Commissions Almajirai Model School In Katsina / ACN Mortgaging Yoruba Future and Interest – Adebanjo / How Far Can FG Go Educating 9.5m Almajirai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by ektbear: 9:52am On Oct 16, 2011
Nigeria: Almajirai And The North's Future

16 October 2011
editorial
Zamfara State governor Abdulazeez Yari recently stated that over 1.2 million child beggars, popularly called almajirai, were roaming the streets of the state. This figure is realistic but frightening. Apparently, it agrees with the figure quoted two years ago by the then minister of state for education, Aishatu Jibrin Dukku.

She had said there were at least 10 million child beggars in northern Nigeria. Other authorities have put the number of the North's children who are unschooled, unemployed, unemployable and hopeless at 15-20 million.

In its original meaning, almajirai is not synonymous with child beggars. It is recognised in Islam. But, in northern Nigeria, the phenomenon has symbolised all that is associated with neglect and destitution. Governor Yari must have felt disturbed that so many people are so disadvantaged in the state he governs. Every northern governor should be equally worried, for it is an indictment on northern leaders.

How would the future of the North be? What meaningful progress is possible when more than 30 per cent of the population is destitute? The North is obviously sitting on a time bomb. If the problem is not solved today, dangers lie ahead in the future. Who would be the leaders of tomorrow? The abandoned children of today will certainly be the criminal adults of tomorrow.

Education is the best weapon against the odious almajirai syndrome in the North. At present, there is talk of building almajirai schools all over the North. However, what will matter most is the skills the children will acquire that will enable them to be useful to themselves and the society.

It is possible to eliminate the almajirai problem within 10 years, if only parents would start taking care of the children they bring into the world. A situation whereby parents pay no attention to the welfare of their children and despatch them to the streets to fend for themselves at an early age is not acceptable in the modern world.

Perhaps the illiterate parents of these children also need to be educated. Non-formal and adult education would make them understand the value of education and parental care. They should be taught to discourage early marriage and have fewer children. Parents who refuse to send their children, male or female, to school should be penalised.

Child begging is already an emergency situation. State and local governments should therefore look for urgent solutions. Good governance entails caring for the citizenry. Politicians should stop using destitute children to cause mayhem, especially at election times.

The North's leaders could borrow a leaf from Lagos State, for instance, which has almost completely rehabilitated street urchins called "area boys". Many former "area boys" now work as bricklayers, environmental workers and painters. Every human being has the potential to be useful, if given the right climate in which to thrive. Creating such environment should be the preoccupation of our leaders now.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201110160010.html
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 10:00am On Oct 16, 2011
The almajiri problem is only prevalent in the core-North, it is wrong to use the general term, "North" in this case.
With boko haram replacing almajiri's, there is very little hope. It looks like things will only get worse for the core-North.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Rhino5dm: 10:09am On Oct 16, 2011
Very sad development. But the PDP-GEJ led campaign train had earlier on promised to built a borading hostel for them. A place where food and shelter shall be adequately provided for them. What happen to all the promises of bringing the imams/mullahs on board?

Or is that part also grand deception scheme?
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2011
^
Those promises are being fulfilled, but it just looks like an attempt not worth the effort IMHO. A man's got to realise how bad his shape is and then make effort to change; I don't see that realisation in the core-North.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Rhino5dm: 10:33am On Oct 16, 2011
^Those are my thought exactly. When you are busy drumming for the project, i cautioned your ignorance about how things work in the north. I specifically mention that FG has no business in putting hand directly into fire, other than making laws through the legislative arms that would criminalize the activities of Almajiris and their parents.

But i was called names from the "befnefato of almajiri" to "Jihadist", and all that.

All you need to do is, tell GEJ to hold each respective governor with almajiri issue accountable, and responsible for making sure that the menace is eradicated. Afteral is more of culture and ignorance.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by sheriffman(m): 10:54am On Oct 16, 2011
@ Beaf pls which states do u define as d core north/ I ve lived in d north all my life and I can tell u dat the Almajiri syndrome is in all the staes of d north.Kaduna,Kano,Borno see just name it they r there in amazing numbers.The elites ve benefited frm d system and they see BH taking recruits frm this Almajiris hence the Noise they r now making.Let the guvs and d elites start a cleansing,reformation process for these pple then d FG can support them.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by homerac7: 11:14am On Oct 16, 2011
the yoruba s hav s a saying dt ile t'o ba to, omo ale ibe ni k; i ti d'agba , meaning when a community is peaceful, its because the scoundrels there r yet to grow muscles.

one only need to knw d prevalence of almajiri and horror of its miseducation to know dt we r yet to see d full potential of wild wild north.

let me also add, recently i thought about d north in another 10 to 15 years and my mind cringed at some of possible dangers we may b looking at:

the entire north-east of nigeria actually sits in an old basin of ancient greater lake chad; in other words, it used to b under d largest freash water lake on earth in ancient time called greater lake chad, wc has shrunken to a dot i what it currently is in present time.

d entire basin is rich in many mineral resources including hydrocarbons: d black gold. currently its being explored in Chadian oil fields and axis extending into Southern Sudan. I dont need to tell u about d lignite coal deposits in maiganga in Gombe state and d age long oil exploration works of Nigerian govt in "lake chad" basin. using d big picture of commonality of geological history, huge oil and gas deposits may just b sitting under NE - Chad - Niger corridor, only to be discovered and proven soon.

when ds black gold is porven, think of politico-economic change dt will come wt it, just imagine,

already there is a major rebel group operating east of Chad/ dafur - sudan  dt nearly toppled d govt few years ago. there is strong presence of Taureg rebels and AQIM roaming wild in Niger Republi. Boko Haram in NE already and Nigerian government dt has established a weak presence along d boundary.

d moment oil is proven, dt place will almost definitely implode from sudden swift descent of every vile groups of warlords vieing for control. unfortunately, d nigerian govt has shown little proof of competence over control of the region as she has never really been tested by d real desert jackals. even d rag tag band of boko haram caught her much unaware, think abt d situation wt ample supply of millions of roaming almajiris who r already inductrinated to b anti nigerian govt establishment. if u are wondering about the most probable next hot spot, welcome to "hell-mand" province of Africa.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 11:32am On Oct 16, 2011
sheriffman:

@ Beaf pls which states do u define as d core north/ I ve lived in d north all my life and I can tell u dat the Almajiri syndrome is in all the staes of d north.Kaduna,Kano,Borno see just name it they r there in amazing numbers.The elites ve benefited frm d system and they see BH taking recruits frm this Almajiris hence the Noise they r now making.Let the guvs and d elites start a cleansing,reformation process for these pple then d FG can support them.

The states you mentioned are all in the core-North. These are the core-Northern states:

[list]
[li]Sokoto[/li]
[li]Katsina[/li]
[li]Kano[/li]
[li]Kebbi[/li]
[li]Jigawa[/li]
[li]Zamfara[/li]
[li]Northern Kaduna is in the core-North, while Southern Kaduna is in the Middle Belt[/li]
[li]Yobe, Bauchi and Bornu are marginally core-Northern[/li]
[/list]
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 11:39am On Oct 16, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

^Those are my thought exactly. When you are busy drumming for the project, i cautioned your ignorance about how things work in the north. I specifically mention that FG has no business in putting hand directly into fire, other than making laws through the legislative arms that would criminalize the activities of Almajiris and their parents.

But i was called names from the "befnefato of almajiri" to "Jihadist", and all that.

All you need to do is, tell GEJ to hold each respective governor with almajiri issue accountable, and responsible for making sure that the menace is eradicated. Afteral is more of culture and ignorance.

Nobody is gonna throw in the towel without trying, that's just not gonna happen.
It is best to try even when things look difficult as they do with the North today, you never know what the effort will produce. So, I say try, try, try and try again, and one day success will come. cool
Success comes to those who persevere, as long as the country remains together, it is wisdom to invest in educating the almajiri.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Rhino5dm: 11:53am On Oct 16, 2011
Message decoded perfectly. cool
Beaf:

So, I say try, try, try and try again, and one day success will come. cool

Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by texazzpete(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2011
Beaf:

With boko haram replacing almajiri's, there is very little hope. It looks like things will only get worse for the core-North.

You mean, things will only get worse for Nigeria.

We cannot isolate one section of the country and think that it will not have a ripple effect on the whole Nation. Boko Haram has proved that, just as MEND did before them.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by nduchucks: 1:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
Let me first state categorically that the problem of Almajirai can be solved in only 5 years if the will to do so exists. It is a known fact that the Almajiris of the North and the ordinary people of the Niger Delta area, including the ogonis who continue to live in abject poverty while the few elite enrich themselves and their cronies by stealing the wealth generated from the Niger Delta region, are indeed the most marginalized groups in Nigeria. I say again that the shame belongs to all of you people who refuse to demand a change by using your voting rights sensibly.

The concept of Almajirai has been bastardized and is no longer a nobel cause of turning a child into a Islamic scholar. Today, a child becomes an Almajiri when there is high striking poverty line in his family to take care of his essential needs such as sustenance. Some children are forced to become one simply when they lose their parents and when their relatives or guardians cannot keep them. Most of such children become victims when their parents send them to Quranic schools outside their hometowns. Have you ever wondered why the children of the elite, governors, doctors, engineers, even civil service workers, are not Almajiri?

The practice of Almajirai today, is nothing but gross child abuse which must be punishable by law. If this child abuse is left unchecked, there will be more Boko Harams and even worse in the near future because Nigeria's Almajiri children are learning a life of poverty and violence.

In 2008 there was a raging debate over the Bill for an act to provide for the establishment of the National Commission for the Eradication of Child Destitution in Nigeria, otherwise known as almajiri bil. The fact that it passed a second reading in the senate is a clear pointer to how serious the almajiri issue is to many people. Unfortunately, the bill was never passed. I urge GEJ to submit another version of the bill to NASS for immediate consideration, in light of the security challenges we face.

No child should be subjected to the kind of child abuse which the Almajiris experience daily.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Relax101(m): 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Let me first state categorically that the problem of Almajirai can be solved in only 5 years if the will to do so exists. It is a known fact that the Almajiris of the North [b]and the ordinary people of the Niger Delta area, including the ogonis who continue to live in abject poverty while the few elite enrich themselves and their cronies by stealing the wealth generated from the Niger Delta region, [/b]are indeed the most marginalized groups in Nigeria. I say again that the shame belongs to all of you people who refuse to demand a change by using your voting rights sensibly.

The concept of Almajirai has been bastardized and is no longer a nobel cause of turning a child into a Islamic scholar. Today, a child becomes an Almajiri when there is high striking poverty line in his family to take care of his essential needs such as sustenance. Some children are forced to become one simply when they lose their parents and when their relatives or guardians cannot keep them. Most of such children become victims when their parents send them to Quranic schools outside their hometowns. Have you ever wondered why the children of the elite, governors, doctors, engineers, even civil service workers, are not Almajiri?

The practice of Almajirai today,  is nothing but gross child abuse which must be punishable by law. If this child abuse is left unchecked, there will be more  Boko Harams and even worse in the near future because Nigeria's Almajiri children are learning a life of poverty and violence.

In  2008 there was a raging debate over the Bill for an act to provide for the establishment of the National Commission for the Eradication of Child Destitution in Nigeria, otherwise known as almajiri bil. The fact that it  passed a second reading in the senate is a clear pointer to how serious the almajiri issue is to many people. Unfortunately, the bill was never passed.  I urge GEJ to submit another version of the bill to NASS for immediate consideration, in light of the security challenges we face.

No child should be subjected to the kind of child abuse which the Almajiris experience daily.

Nobody asked for your opinion about the Ogoni people.
Please whatever your plans are for the almajiris in Northern Nigeria will be appreciated.
You always come with this and that for the south but you will never face the problems in the north where majority of the population is uneducated.
You need to face your responsibilities man and stop trying to be helpful when your people in the north are worst hit.
As usual I expect you not to understand but reply in a cunning way.
Ina kwana. cool cool cool cool
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by nduchucks: 6:06pm On Oct 16, 2011
Relax101:

Nobody asked for your opinion about the Ogoni people.
Please whatever your plans are for the almajiris in Northern Nigeria will be appreciated.
You always come with this and that for the south but you will never face the problems in the north where majority of the population is uneducated.
You need to face your responsibilities man and stop trying to be helpful when your people in the north are worst hit.
As usual I expect you not to understand but reply in a cunning way.
Ina kwana. cool cool cool cool

Your reaction to my post has confirmed that you are a brain dead dullard not worthy of any response from me. I make an exception here to give you another opportunity to reread my post and adjust your response to it, appropriately. I don't believe that you are an illeterate but I think you are letting your bigotry get the best out of you.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Relax101(m): 6:52pm On Oct 16, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Your reaction to my post has confirmed that you are a brain dead dullard not worthy of any response from me. I make an exception here to give you another opportunity to reread my post and adjust your response to it, appropriately. I don't believe that you are an illeterate but I think you are letting your bigotry get the best out of you.

Your usual rant is getting boring and predictable.
As usual, you will ignore the questions and give me silly excuses.
What have you done to help your people in the north? What have your emir, the governors from your region done? Dem knw no say education is the key. Cant you guys find a way to stop almajiri system through your state lawmakers? Abi na only to implement sharia law dem knw?
We all acknowledge the problems down south but haba you are getting excited about the problems down south when you refuse to give one solution the problem of mass illiteracy in the north. Get started and stop chatting what we know. I need action than mere emotional soul warming poems from you.
Cunning man die cunning man bury am.
Me no dey allow tribalism or OIL money dey affect my senses.
Ina gajia.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by MrWhy1(m): 8:46am On Oct 17, 2011
What are the Northern Elites doing to educate their populace ?
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 10:40am On Oct 17, 2011
Mr--Why:

What are the Northern Elites doing to educate their populace ?

It is a really sad case, they are looking for avenues to chop oil money and are strategising for 2015; in the meantime 20% of all core-Northern kids are almajiri's.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by mtaj: 10:42am On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

The states you mentioned are all in the core-North. These are the core-Northern states:

[list]
[li]Sokoto[/li]
[li]Katsina[/li]
[li]Kano[/li]
[li]Kebbi[/li]
[li]Jigawa[/li]
[li]Zamfara[/li]
[li]Northern Kaduna is in the core-North, while Southern Kaduna is in the Middle Belt[/li]

[/list]

How do you come by your definition of the core-North? There is no place called the core-North in Nigeria. I presume you are trying to say that these are the states that have the highest percentage of Muslims, in which case you should be ready to coin a new name for those states in the Southwest that have a sizeable percentage of Muslims.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 10:49am On Oct 17, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Let me first state categorically that the problem of Almajirai can be solved in only 5 years if the will to do so exists. It is a known fact that the Almajiris of the North and the ordinary people of the Niger Delta area, including the ogonis who continue to live in abject poverty while the few elite enrich themselves and their cronies by stealing the wealth generated from the Niger Delta region, are indeed the most marginalized groups in Nigeria. I say again that the shame belongs to all of you people who refuse to demand a change by using your voting rights sensibly.

The practice of Almajirai today,  is nothing but gross child abuse which must be punishable by law. If this child abuse is left unchecked, there will be more  Boko Harams and even worse in the near future because Nigeria's Almajiri children are learning a life of poverty and violence.

[b]In  2008 there was a raging debate over the Bill for an act to provide for the establishment of the National Commission for the Eradication of Child Destitution in Nigeria, otherwise known as almajiri bil. [/b]The fact that it  passed a second reading in the senate is a clear pointer to how serious the almajiri issue is to many people. Unfortunately, the bill was never passed.  I urge GEJ to submit another version of the bill to NASS for immediate consideration, in light of the security challenges we face.

Mallam, please cut out the tears about Ogoni people when the current issue is almajiri. You cannot divert our attention with any tricks. cool

As for the almajiri bill, what were the real reasons it wasn't passed? I'm asking that question because I know for sure that the core-North is the ONLY region that has kicked against, openly challenged and shamefully subverted the child rights act, because of the twin disgraceful reasons of almajirinci and the culture of child brides (most would call it paedophilia). Some as of these child brides are as young as 10 years old, and senator Yerima with his 13 year old Egyptian bride is a stand out example. How can we ever move the region forward when we are obstructed with such startling cultural views?
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 10:54am On Oct 17, 2011
mtaj:

How do you come by your definition of the core-North? There is no place called the core-North in Nigeria. I presume you are trying to say that these are the states that have the highest percentage of Muslims, in which case you should be ready to coin a new name for those states in the Southwest that have a sizeable percentage of Muslims.

The term "core-North" was coined by core-Northerners themselves in Obj's time; I certainly didn't coin it (much as I love its implied and unfortunate meaning). It was meant to place a distinction between them and Middle Belters (Obj cunningly chose to give ranking positions to Middle Belters as "Northeners," and the "core-Northerners" kicked up dust and hell. Please blame them, thank you.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by nduchucks: 11:10am On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

Mallam, please cut out the tears about Ogoni people when the current issue is almajiri. You cannot divert our attention with any tricks. cool

As for the almajiri bill, what were the real reasons it wasn't passed? I'm asking that question because I know for sure that the core-North is the ONLY region that has kicked against, openly challenged and shamefully subverted the child rights act, because of the twin disgraceful reasons of almajirinci and the culture of child brides (most would call it paedophilia). Some as of these child brides are as young as 10 years old, and senator Yerima with his 13 year old Egyptian bride is a stand out example. How can we ever move the region forward when we are obstructed with such startling cultural views?

Cut the bull and stop blaming North for for everything under the sun. The said bill actually passed a second reading in the senate and  its supporters included Northerners. GEJ has pledged to agressively support childern's rights and his leadership on the matter is needed now, more than ever before. No child in Nigeria deserves to be abused as the Almajiris, the children sold into slavery, the children used as housemaids, and the children trafficed overseas for prostitution. Let us urge and support GEJ in this matter. GEJ pledged to address the problem was elected, we await his leadership.

GEJ can act of his promises such as the one below, we will support him.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-basic-education-for-almajiri-will-improve-development/228/

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/opinion/opinion/7801-fgs-pivotal-role-in-integrated-almajiri-education
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 11:25am On Oct 17, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Cut the bull and stop blaming North for for everything under the sun. The said bill actually passed a second reading in the senate and  its supporters included Northerners. GEJ has pledged to agressively support childern's rights and his leadership on the matter is needed now, more than ever before. No child in Nigeria deserves to be abused as the Almajiris, the children sold into slavery, the children used as housemaids, and the children trafficed overseas for prostitution. Let us urge and support GEJ in this matter. GEJ pledged to address the problem was elected, we await his leadership.

Should we blame Middle Belters and Southerners for the almajiri culture then? Strange reasoning indeed, its like running away from your own shadow.
Whenever your Senate (including "Northerners"wink passes the law to be signed by GEJ, I'm sure he will sign it. Until that day, any inertia in recognising child rights in Nigeria is from the core-North. Where you not among those either sitting on the wall or arguing for the cultural viewpoint of the "rightness" of marrying girls off at tender ages as backed by sharia when the Yerima 13 year old bride issue was raging? You can't eat your cake and have it, bruv.

Cultures have to be trashed as a first step and that begins with introspection by your people, not Middle Belters or Southerners who do not have 20% of their kids as almajiri's.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Akanbiedu(m): 11:31am On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

The term "core-North" was coined by core-Northerners themselves in Obj's time; I certainly didn't coin it (much as I love its implied and unfortunate meaning). It was meant to place a distinction between them and Middle Belters (Obj cunningly chose to give ranking positions to Middle Belters as "Northeners," and the "core-Northerners" kicked up dust and hell. Please blame them, thank you.

LOLz, OBJ played the game he learnt from his friends from the north.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by nduchucks: 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

Should we blame Middle Belters and Southerners for the almajiri culture then? Strange reasoning indeed, its like running away from your own shadow.
Whenever your Senate (including "Northerners"wink passes the law to be signed by GEJ, I'm sure he will sign it. Until that day, any inertia in recognising child rights in Nigeria is from the core-North. Where you not among those either sitting on the wall or arguing for the cultural viewpoint of the "rightness" of marrying girls off at tender ages as backed by sharia when the Yerima 13 year old bride issue was raging? You can't eat your cake and have it, bruv.

Cultures have to be trashed as a first step and that begins with introspection by your people, not Middle Belters or Southerners who do not have 20% of their kids as almajiri's.

You must be suffering from amnesia if you think I was arguing for the cultural viewpoint of the "rightness" of a barbaric act of child abuse. abi you are getting old ni?

Unlike you, I don't see the issue of child abuse as a Northern or Southern problem. It is a national problem. You have the Almajiris in the North, Child laborers (housemaids) etc in the South, child trafficing for prostitution, and baby factories in the South. We will support GEJ's efforts in addressing these issues. olodo
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Ayowumie(m): 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2011
mtaj:

How do you come by your definition of the core-North? There is no place called the core-North in Nigeria. I presume you are trying to say that these are the states that have the highest percentage of Muslims,
Mind you, there are places you refer to as the core north. Even though, it is not used in "official" term, the term exists. It used to create a distinction between the north and the north-central. In general sense, it used to point out states that are predominantly muslim in the north. The reason why they dont use the term "core" for south is because religion is not a major factor of divide in the south.

Beaf:

[/list]
You are wrong, Bauchi and Borno are also referred to as core north. You can only eliminate them if by "core-north", you only limit you definition to north-west and even if you do this, your definition should be explicitly stated.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by goggs(m): 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

[list]
[li]Sokoto[/li]
[li]Katsina[/li]
[li]Kano[/li]
[li]Kebbi[/li]
[li]Jigawa[/li]
[li]Zamfara[/li]
[/list]

mtaj:

People, let us cut to the  chase when it comes to issues affecting our country. This idea of being politically correct masks the real issues and ultimately the efforts at addressing them. The position of Almajiri is clear.

The Almajiri street children/urchins are mainly (over 95%) northern Moslem children, who are entrusted to Koranic teachers, but abandoned to fend for themselves. Some of them are children living with parents who don't believe in western education and are abandoned to fend for themselves. Many parents are either too poor to help them (due to disproportionately high number of children versus income) or are of very poor education.

Also, the belief in destiny doesn't help much. Many parents believe that their children are destined to be who they are going to be no matter how they start out. So there is little concious systematic effort to empower these children to compete in the modern world. With more and more children being born, there is little or no plan for their future.

This scenario is in contrast  to the relatively more educated Muslims of the southwest. Its no secret that most other non muslim northern children will prefer to remain in the villages and engage in farming than begging, though their status, educationally, is only marginally better. Generally the North (whether core north or marginal north) treats education with CRIMINAL LEVITY!

The North doesn't seem to know that its strength and future lies in its own people- its children. Many previledged Northerners delude themselves that they will be fine when those around them are discontented due to poverty, disease, ignorance, illiteracy and hunger.

Its the stark truth. the next question is how do we solve this Almajiri problem?

I believe that the answer lies within each state and can be tackled as follows

1) Sincere and purposeful leadership with an eye for the future of this country and, most importantly, a non political plan and the will to get there.

2)The traditional rulers in the North have a herculean task to educate and inform there subjects on population control, religious obligations and duties to children and the rebuilding of moral values;

3) State governments must set up an institutional framework (in collaboration with the traditional rulers) to set standards for Koranic schools and enforce standards (quality of teachers, carrying capacity of schools, number of teaching hours, instructional materials, Koranic Teacher Training);

4) Koranic school must only accept students from their locality, much be day schools and must operate flexible time to allow children attend formal schooling. (eg Koranic may only operate at certain times of the day eg 3 -6 pm, 7 - 9 am etc);

5) Adoption of free education. This will encourage attendance to formal schools. Also allowing formal Islamic Reigious Knowledge (IRK) teachers to participate in Koranic education through affiliation to Koranic Schools;

6) Strict enforcement of standards for Koranic Education (involving community elders, traditional rulars and prominent government officials from the area in verification and accreditation visits);

6) Encourage healthy competition (eg Koranic recitation, provision of grants to top schools, invitation of reknowed scholars to tutor koranic teachers etc)

Islam is a way of life for Muslims. It is imperative that Governments at all levels ensure that the system of educating Muslim children is brought under some form of control.

If Northern leaders think that this is not there problem, they are mistaken. the post election riots that took place this year where prominent Northerners were attacked shows the growing Almajiri/social problem. If the leaders think this will go away, they are in for a big surprise. It will one day consume them.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2011
Ayowumie:

Mind you, there are places you refer to as the core north. Even though, it is not used in "official" term, the term exists. It used to create a distinction between the north and the north-central. In general sense, it used to point out states that are predominantly muslim in the north. The reason why they dont use the term "core" for south is because religion is not a major factor of divide in the south.
You are wrong, Bauchi and Borno are also referred to as core north. You can only eliminate them if by "core-north", you only limit you definition to north-west and even if you do this, your definition should be explicitly stated.

The term, core-North has nothing to do with Islam, otherwise Kwara would be classified as core-North. Your definition fails.
The core-North refers to states that are predominantly Hausa-Fulani or are strongly allied to the Hausa-Fulani.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by aljharem3: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf:

The term, core-North has nothing to do with Islam, otherwise Kwara would be classified as core-North. Your definition fails.
The core-North refers to states that are predominantly Hausa-Fulani or are strongly allied to the Hausa-Fulani.

Very very misleading and wrong

1.) There is nothing like CORE NORTH, it is either the south or the north

Now in the north we have 3 geopolitical zones partially based on ethnicity which are

the North west mainly the hausa and fulanis

The North East mainly the Kanuris with Jukun, hausawa and Fulani

The North central or middle belt which are mainly the Nupe, idoma, Yoruba and fulani with other minorities
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 2:52pm On Oct 17, 2011
ndu_chucks:

You must be suffering from amnesia if you think I was arguing for the cultural viewpoint of the "rightness" of a barbaric act of child abuse. abi you are getting old ni?

Unlike you, I don't see the issue of child abuse as a Northern or Southern problem. It is a national problem. You have the Almajiris in the North, Child laborers (housemaids) etc in the South, child trafficing for prostitution, and baby factories in the South. We will support GEJ's efforts in addressing these issues. olodo

Alhaji, stop misfiring. Nothing in the Middle Belt or South can remotely compare to the abject hopelessness of the almajiri; children cut off all hopes, dreams and aspirations, with no life compass except the grotesquely skewed one supplied by extreme religion and ever-present hunger pangs. It is not just the experience, but the sheer number of children suffering this abuse, 10million! That is more than the population of two thirds of the Worlds countries. A horrible shocker.

When you say you will support GEJ's efforts, just how are you proposing to do this? Because as I said earlier, the core-North needs a full cultural rebirth to rid itself and the country off the almajiri curse.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by nduchucks: 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2011
Beaf: When you say you will support GEJ's efforts, just how are you proposing to do this? Because as I said earlier, the core-North needs a full cultural rebirth to rid itself and the country off the almajiri curse.

I mean we will support GEJ, morally, in the NASS, mass media, and in any other area he needs our support in dealing with this issue of child abuse. Stop bellittling yourself by putting child abuse on a scale by saying that it is worse in one area of the country than others. These Children, who are God's children by the way, need our support in everyway.

This issue is too serious and disgraceful to be politicized by you.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by Beaf: 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I mean we will support GEJ, morally, in the NASS, mass media, and in any other area he needs our support in dealing with this issue of child abuse. Stop bellittling yourself by putting child abuse on a scale by saying that it is worse in one area of the country than others. These Children, who are God's children by the way, need our support in everyway.

This issue is too serious and disgraceful to be politicized by you.

Politicising the issue is exactly what I will accuse you of. It is the only reason (aside from pride) that would make you not accept the perfectly obvious fact that the almajiri issue is 100% a core-Northern problem; and not just an ordinary problem, but one driven by cultural beliefs and practices. To put it in stack terms, almajirinci derives from Hausa culture (that is a fact acknowledged by Islamic scholars of renown like Sheik Gumi).

The greatest support you can give GEJ will be for the leaders to drive for cultural rebirth of the sort that will abolish the almajiri institution, child marriages, begging etc that are endemic in the core-North. These things are a terrible disgrace, Nigeria is specially marked out by the UN for child marriages of girls as young as 10 in places like Kebbi and Zamfara.
Re: The North's Future And 'Almajirai' by MrWhy1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2011
Mr Beaf has a point about core-North and middle belt. You can easily differentiate them.  I spent tangible time in Kano. So I understand where he is coming from. Education needs to be adopted as a culture in the North. They are increasingly being blinded by distorted version of imported religion written in a foreign language. Despite that and under normal circumstances, Hausa-Fulani's are one of the best people you can ever do something with. I lived with them, did business with them and understand their culture and language which is very humanistic in nature like every other African culture. Urgent humanitarian intervention is needed or else,

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is A British - Built Vickers MK.3 Eagle Tank Recaptured From Boko Haram / Breaking News From Iraq !!! / Revealed: Obasanjo, Tinubu, El-rufai Lead Cabal Behind Saraki’s Trials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.