Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,885 members, 7,798,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola (6382 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Senators From The South Back Buhari On Inclusion Lag-calabar Rail In 2016 Budget / Doctor Found Months-old Used Condom Inside A Sick Girl's V~gina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2011
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201110162145293

Fashola defends procurement of used rail coaches
By Allwell Okpi
Sunday, 16 Oct 2011

Governor Fashola of Lagos State has defended the procurement of used coaches for the light rail project being handled by the state government on concession agreement with private investor.

Speaking at an interactive session with journalists on Saturday when he marked his 1600 days in office, Fashola said the concessionaire for the project and not the government was responsible for procuring the coaches.

He however said he had inspected the 15-year-old coaches and was convinced they were [size=16pt]good enough[/size] for the project.

He said, “Your government is not buying the coaches. It is the concessionaire that is paying for them. We have a concession agreement which states that it is the concessionaire that will invest in the management and provision of the coaches.”

Fashola said the state government decided to embrace the opportunity of procuring the used coaches offered in Canada when the negotiation between manufacturers and the concessionaire showed that it would take about six to eight years to manufacture new coaches to the specifications for use in Nigeria.

“I have inspected the coaches in Canada and seen that they are still being used. They were built for a minimum of 60 years and are presently not more than 15 years old. The seats and the engines will be changed before they are shipped here. The same thing applies to most aircraft we see. They are not new, the components are always changed,” Fashola said.

According to the concession agreement, the state government will build the rail tracks while the investor will be responsible for the operation, management and provision of the coaches and trains.

The governor said his administration decided to adopt the part sharing of responsibility model in order to attract an investor that will be willing to take the plunge.

He said, “Four years ago, no investor was willing to invest in light rail both in Lagos and Nigeria. The rationale for this posture was always that if we want investment, what efforts are we making? Why will a foreigner come and put his money when we have made no commitment?”
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by EkoIle1: 1:30pm On Oct 16, 2011
Very well articulated,
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 1:55pm On Oct 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

Very well articulated,

Indeed. Naturally, other Nigerian States should aggressively seek to develop PPP schemes that can rapidly deliver infrastructural development but I suspect that Many Governors still prefer the discredited arrangement which sees the Government fully involved in everything.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by hercules07: 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
I just wish and pray that other SW governors can replicate Fashola's commitment, and other regions can take a cue as well.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by tubolancer(m): 2:43pm On Oct 16, 2011
Keep moving Gov'nor Fashola,may God be with you.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by PointB: 2:51pm On Oct 16, 2011
@topic

Lagosians are well know for using second-hand goods. Impressive fashola, more second hands good please!  grin grin cheesy cheesy

Fashola said the state government decided to embrace the opportunity of procuring the used coaches offered in Canada when the negotiation between manufacturers and the concessionaire showed that it would take about six to eight years to manufacture new coaches to the specifications for use in Nigeria.

lol, thats true. They will be manufactured in mars, and shipped to planet earth. How can a whole governor spit such cock and bull story - six years to manufacture new coaches. I laugh in . . . grin grin grin grin
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2011
hercules07:

I just wish and pray that other SW governors can replicate Fashola's commitment, and other regions can take a cue as well.

I think nearly all SW Governors (I am not entirely sure of Ajimobi so far) have solid plans that will soon become reality. Fayemi (1 year) and Aregbesola (11 months) are , apart from Mimiko of the Labour Party, the longest serving Governors in the SW after Fashola. Regardless of what distractive and mischievous elements say, both are doing well. I challenge anyone to see if Osun is not in competent hand after objectively reading the article below. Amosun is doing well too and , to the best of my knowledge, he is the only Governor in Nigeria to succeed in cutting the salary of Government officials. The pay cut even affect Amosun himself.

The thing to get excited about is that the SW Governors have some great regional cooperation and integration plan that will transform the SW. I would just suggest that good people of the SW get as much info about their Governor's performance as much as possible. The place to gain information is certainly not from the deliberate lies and fabrication written by the paid hacks of the PDP on Nairaland. Everyone should read the interview with Aregbesola below. It is a long read but folks will understand , after reading it, the wickedness, bias and bigotry of those who attack this man non-stop on NL.  

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/aregbesola-in-osun-we%e2%80%99re-doing-what-nobody-else-has-done/

Aregbesola: In Osun, we’re doing what nobody else has done
On October 16, 2011 · In Interview

* ‘Our deal to normalise state finances

Rauf Aregbesola, the man who insists that he should be addressed  as an Ogbeni, is the Osun State governor. This is not your regular interview because it is the product of an interactive session.  For a man who is intelligent, Aregbesola does not make light of that.  However, the problem is that so much is almost always expected from such individuals.  And that is where Aregbesola’s problems lie.  So, he had to take time to reel out so much of what he describes as his achievements.  It would be a year next month since he took over.
Some opposition elements – need we add, the leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Osun State – are complaining that this Ogbeni, their state governor, is long on sloganeering but short of performance (that is the collateral damage that the image of a Mr. Know All brings).  But Aregbesola has ideas which, when properly channeled, would lead to a developed, more prosperous Osun State.  Correspondent GBENGA OLARINOYE was there to capture the event. But this presentation comes with its own flavour. Excerpts:

Apart from the Osun Youth Empowerment Scheme, OYES, project, what else can you point at as being your achievement since you became governor of the state?

When I read in the newspaper the demands of the opposition that what have we done? I suckled. The truth of the matter is that we are not comparable with our predecessor, but most of us did not recognize most of the things we have done, because they are intangible. It will be in the interest of all of us, particularly Nigerians, to recognise the intangibles, because we cannot make any serious headway if we just look at the society from the area of brick and mortal alone.

Would anyone blame the opposition?
We assumed the governance of Osun on November 27, 2010 and, in terms of vacuum, the state was vacuous. The only thing that was there is Oyin ni o. That, in essence, did not even inspire anybody besides worshipping an entity.

For the first time in this part of the world, we rejected putting the photograph of the governor anywhere. This might be taken as ordinary but it has sent a signal that there is nothing peculiar about being a governor.

[b]Second week after my inauguration, we began the process of OYES. Of course, the idea has been there, but, there would be efforts to discuss how was it possible for any government to recruit 20,000 youths, train them and exhibit them to adopt brilliant believe within two weeks? The truth is that there is no facility in the whole of Nigeria to train more than 5,000 people at a time.

How did we get to train 20,000 people, giving them leadership and making them to do the job they are doing? The greatest challenge to the scheme was preparing them for what they are ultimately doing. If I am to write any book on the scheme, it will be on preparing the people who have not thought about community and social works within few weeks, turning them into highly spirited social workers.

Soon after that, we gave the state an identity that the state did not have before we came on board. We gave the state a crest, a flag, and these are not just symbols, they are symbols that have meanings. Before you can do anything, you must get the people to understand who they are, because if they don’t, nothing can work, just as nothing had worked before we came. From what I see and what I heard, people now want to be called Omoluabi. People now understand the reason for being the citizens of this state.

After that, we held an education summit at which we were able to develop a strategy for education in the state. It has not manifested physically, but it will soon manifest. Though premature, if we must tell you, we have restructured education such that we will have neighbourhood schools that will cater for primary one to three; the junior schools, which might not be neighbourhood, will be for pupils in primary four to JSS 3, that would be called Grade 4 to Grade 9; while the high school will be for SS1 to SS3, that is, Grade 10 to 13 where the students can go to any institution of their choice. That is a clear fall out of the summit and not many states have been able to do this as simple as it is, even those that were here for eight years.
[/b]
When I read their tantrums about what we have done, I laugh.

Laugh!  Why?

[b]I laugh because, as at the time we took over, this state was carrying a burden of N18.38 billion debt. The debt was not just an ordinary debt, it was a debt that was painful and suffocating. It was so bad that for the state to meet its recurrent expenditure, it had to borrow N1 billion every month.

As at that time, the total revenue of the state was N2.1 billion (IGR was N300million and allocation was N1.8 billion), out of which, right from Abuja , N615 million would be deducted, leaving N1.5 billion. The salary, at that time, was N850 million, leaving us with N650 million. Subventions to tertiary institutions in the state was N850 million, leaving us minus N150 million; and we will pay pensions of N250 million. I wouldn’t know how much specifically, but,  at that time, gratuity was already outstanding and it could not be less than N1.5 billion. I only knew that by June this year, the outstanding on gratuity was N2.4billion. What was allocated in December was N30 million and that was what I met, but in that month, I raised it to N50 million and, by April this year, I raised it to N150 million. If I want to be very meticulous and factual, let us say we must pay gratuity of N50 million and, if you subtract it, you will have minus N500 million. Apart from that, you must run government with money.

So, a billion naira loan has to be taken from the bank to augment every month and, by next month, you pay it off and continue. That was the situation I met.

Our multi-billion naira deal with a bank
By March, noticing the almost impossibility of running any government at all and having realized that there was no hope for the state should that regime continue, we discovered that our only saving grace was to restructure the loan and we desperately sought for a financial institution that could support us by refinancing and I got one finally in the First Bank. We were able to broker a deal that allowed us to refinance the loan, such that, today, as I am talking to you, the maximum we get on that suffocating loan is less than N100 million. We have removed the burden of the loan and we have spread it such that the state would not even know that it is paying anything.

If you subtract N100 million from N615 million, we have N515 million and, for ease of multiplication, let us say N500 million. They took the loan in June 2010 and we concluded the arrangement of refinancing in March. June to March is 10 months. The loan, by their own arrangement, was to last for 36 months and, if you take 10 months out of 36, we are left with 26 months. If you now multiply 26 by the N500 million we would have saved, it means that we have saved this state N13 billion by our action.

Apart from that, we have not taken a kobo from the N25 billion refinance deal we made with the First Bank. The facility was negotiated purely to refinance the suffocating loan already taken.

Many might not understand why I am using the word suffocating loan, but, by normal banking practice, if you apply for a loan and you are given, the ethical thing for the bank to do is to give    a portion of the money as you need it, not for the bank to claim that all the money should be given to you at once. So, my predecessor collected N18.38 billion and, from day one, Osun had the burden of paying full interest on the loan, even though they did not need the whole money from day one. That was the recklessness we stopped. I want to assume that if that is the only thing we could do, it is a major achievement.[/b]

The OYES issue
Through OYES alone, we are injecting N200 million to Osun economy every month. This economy has never had such injection since its creation. No state has ever done that as a means of boosting the economy. It is intangible but a great achievement.

That was not all, the uniforms of the OYES were sown by Osun tailors. The tools they used running to about N200 million were bought in Osun markets. Everything about OYES, except those ones that you cannot find here, were bought from here. That, to me, is the first time any government would directly and deliberately patronize local people. A similar thing only happened when Baba Akande was there. Not to talk of giving the 13th month salaries to workers that they had never expected, whether in part or whole.

Flood, flood, go away, !
Apart from that, we had realized that if we did not prepare for rains, we will be surprised by it. We set about identifying critical areas that would prevent tragedy of flooding. Okoroko stream has been cleared; Alekuwodo is no longer a death trap because we planned it. That is practical demonstration of governance.

Our programme on agriculture and education
[b]On agriculture, since Awolowo, as little as it is, by our own estimate, nobody has done anything close to what we have done. As I am talking to you, we have cleared 3,000 hectares of land beside the fact that we have equally given access loan to farmers. We succeeded in ensuring that we gave support to farmers – from money, to seedling, to chemical – which get to them directly. Today, our support for farmers is extensive – talking of financial, chemical, improved seedlings and others.

I am not in anyway disturbed by conventional expectations of some people.
We have equally planned to meet our programme in education and you have seen the schools springing up. Prototypes are going to be built first. We are building the junior schools in Osogbo around Alekuwodo, the primary school would be built in Ife and the high school would be built in Ejigbo. When you see the prototypes, you will judge whether our intervention has meaning, but I know that the total cost of those interventions on education alone will not be less than N18 billion.

Don’t forget that this state that was N18.38 billion indebted by November when I took over has, today, N21 billion to spend on development of Osun.
[/b]
What efforts are you making to ensure that you put in place a mechanism that will give you the opportunity to get feedback from the people?

On the feedback mechanism, though we are yet to release it to the public, we have an office that would be called Bureau of Social Service (BOSS). The office will be reporting to my office and the sole responsibility is to police the activities of government everywhere in terms of policies, programmes and projects. It is our own creation to ensure effective monitoring, supervision and control of all activities of government. The office will not be in Abere, it will be in town. Its duty would be to follow up on projects, programmes and policies and report back to me. It will be superior to any officer in government except me and my office as governor. Even in works and transport ministry of which I am the commissioner, the body will still report to tell whether I have done the work there or not. We are emphasizing this for you to know that we have put in place a feedback mechanism.

Apart from that, in a democracy, the party too is an instrument for gauging the mood of the people. We are everywhere by virtue of the fact that we are a party. There is no compound in which we have no representative and, through that structure, we equally get feedback from our members. We equally engage social researchers periodically to access the import of our programmes on the people.

There was this rumour sometime ago when you traveled for Umrah that you have cancer; how did you feel then and what is your reaction to that?

When I was in Umrah and my media aide called me that I should take a picture and send it now, I wondered why and I didn’t take him serious. I opened my Facebook and saw a message sent to me by somebody that read, “don’t worry, I have a traditional medicine for your predicament”. As at that time, I was in the dark of the false publication that I had cancer. I replied that person that ‘Mr. Man, I don’t know what you are talking about and I have no problem that will require traditional attention’.

Throughout the day, I did not get the import of my aide was saying and all I did was just to send some photographs that we took in Medina.  The following day, while I was browsing, I stumbled on the publication and I was shocked that why should somebody say this to any human being. I asked that on what basis could this thing be reported about me, but I dismissed it and I went my own way. That tells you how inhuman people could get. Even if they don’t respect me, they should respect my children.

You can’t just talk rubbish. That was the height of it. It began some months back in May. I left the office around 3a.m, and I came to pick my bag and I left for Dubai for the graduation of my daughter. Before I came back, the rumour was that I fell in my bathroom and I was rushed out with a broken leg. As if that was not enough, when I went to China, they rumoured that I went for medical check-up. So, it was all rubbish and I took it as such.

Your predecessor awarded some contracts running into billions of naira, which, according to reports, were not executed. What are you doing to bring the contractors to book?

On the fake contractors, we have stripped them of their covers by publishing their names in the newspapers. As far as government is concerned, we have taken the first step and we are believing that the agency set up to investigate and sanction economic offenders will be courageous enough to do the investigation, sanction them and carry out the retrieval of our funds.

When we asked some security men why the incessant armed robbery rate in the state, it was deduced from what they said that they need some armoured personnel carriers (APCs) and that Osun is the only state which does not have any; Ekiti has, Lagos has, as well as Ogun and the rest. What are you doing on this?

As a matter of fact, the state of insecurity in Nigeria is worrisome and it is a big shame that state governments would have to bear responsibilities of purchasing munitions and hardware such as APC for the police that is not under their control. It borders on the fact that it is an indictment on the authority that ought to manage that force and that alone further proves the need for a state police arrangement.

When you put all these together and you consider our stance on this issue long before now, you will understand where we are coming from. Therefore, we are going to do much more than most of the other states in terms of security. The only state that will beat us in our response to security challenge will be Lagos. We are going to have an outfit that will be called Swift Action Squad (SAS) and it will soon come. We are working on the establishment of our own state security, funds that we will use to do all what we need to do what we need.

The health workers and the teachers in the tertiary institutions are on strike and even the workers that have just returned to work are threatening to resume their strike action. What are you doing on these?

I came into political consciousness through activism and I don’t even believe that any society that is sane must be without agitation. So, those who had issues with the people administering them must always protest one thing or the other. It is the maturity of the protesters that actually qualifies their protests – so long as it is not violent.

However, as an administrator, we are doing our best to ensure that the striking workers  return to work. We are negotiating with them and I am quite sure that we will reach consensus in no-distant time. We will resolve the crisis very soon.

I want to assure you that within the next 12 months, Osun would have changed substantially and what we are telling you now would be realities.
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.

Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
I want objective nairalanders to also note that after Aregbesola said this:

As a matter of fact, the state of insecurity in Nigeria is worrisome and it is a big shame that state governments would have to bear responsibilities of purchasing munitions and hardware such as APC for the police that is not under their control. It borders on the fact that it is an indictment on the authority that ought to manage that force and that alone further proves the need for a state police arrangement.

When you put all these together and you consider our stance on this issue long before now, you will understand where we are coming from. Therefore, we are going to do much more than most of the other states in terms of security. The only state that will beat us in our response to security challenge will be Lagos. We are going to have an outfit that will be called Swift Action Squad (SAS) and it will soon come. We are working on the establishment of our own state security, funds that we will use to do all what we need to do what we need.

We saw action from Aregbesola.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=20520

Crime fighting: Rep commends Aregbesola

A member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Ajibola Famurewa, has commended the Osun State governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, for approving the immediate purchase of five Armoured Personnel Carriers and 12 new patrol vans to support the state Police Command in combating crime.

The lawmaker, representing the Ilesa West/Ilesa East/Atakumosa West/Atakumosa East Federal Constituency in the lower chamber of the National Assembly, described the state government’s prompt attention to providing tools to the police as responsive.

In a statement, he said: “This action shows how responsive Osun State Government is to have gone into the state’s minute treasury in its bid to protect lives and properties of the habitants of the state.

It is a shameful act for the Police Force to have waited for the state government to purchase the APCs for them despite the fact that this is not the responsibility of a state government. But of course, as a responsible governor, Ogbeni Aregbesola will do all within his reach to provide adequate security for the people of the state.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by MrWhy1(m): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2011
Well in a battered economy like Najia. Half bread is better than none. That is what they use in Cairo, I used it a lot when I visited despite the fact their economy is well balanced than ours.

Anyways, Fashola/Rochas for 2015
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by kizito96(m): 5:24pm On Oct 16, 2011
Good sense of judgement by Fashola. At least somebody has the idea.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by aljharem3: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2011
PointB:

@topic

Lagosians are well know for using second-hand goods. Impressive fashola, more second hands good please!  grin grin cheesy cheesy

lol, thats true. They will be manufactured in mars, and shipped to planet earth. How can a whole governor spit such rooster and bull story - six years to manufacture new coaches. I laugh in . . . grin grin grin grin

SMH

and you think Uk, Usa and other countries don't use second hand railways ?

Not that I am comparing but It is just to show you ur thinking faculty to the world.

Do you even know that lagos of the population of 9 million or so and thousands still coming in everyday, do you not think it is advicable for second hand coaches to be used instead of the millions of dollars that would be wasted on New coaches only for 6 months time to look second hand .
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by bfire(m): 5:36pm On Oct 16, 2011
There was nothing, i repeat nothing wrong with those coaches LSG bought from Toronto. They were all still in use but because they are changing to a newer faster model that was why they had to sell those to finance the current sub-way trains.

It will actually take 5 - 6yrs to build newer coaches to specification. They are not building just a coach and there are things that had to be modified to the existing sysytem and usage before you can say the coaches are ready; it takes time; not 1 day, moths on 1 year.

In order to effect changes and get to where Lagos state is, the action taken by Fashola becomes necessary and he has done very well. That is governance.

Those coaches just need little modification which he has mentioned.

These things he has done go into his record. You are either a winner or loser. He has chosen to follow his dream for Lagos and he'll get there.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by aljharem3: 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2011
bfire:

There was nothing, i repeat nothing wrong with those coaches LSG bought from Toronto. They were all still in use but because they are changing to a newer faster model that was why they had to sell those to finance the current sub-way trains.

It will actually take 5 - 6yrs to build newer coaches to specification. They are not building just a coach and there are things that had to be modified to the existing sysytem and usage before you can say the coaches are ready; it takes time; not 1 day, moths on 1 year.

In order to effect the get to where Lagos state is, the action taken by Fashola becomes necessary and he has done very well. That is governance.

Those coaches just need little modification which he has mentioned.

These things he has done go into his record. You are either a winner or loser. He has chosen to follow his dream for Lagos and he'll get there.

Insha Allah Amin
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by chidexy(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2011
PointB:

lol, thats true. They will be manufactured in mars, and shipped to planet earth. How can a whole governor spit such rooster and bull story - six years to manufacture new coaches. I laugh in . . .

@ PointB, you don't walk into a showroom to pick a coach of your liking. It takes almost 2 weeks to finish one and there are hundreds of cities and operators who are also ordering new coaches. So if you need to place an order for almost 100 coaches, be sure it will take more than 3 or 4 years before it would be delivered.

Refurbished coaches are the best for Lagos at the moment and cost effective too
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by awuf2008: 6:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
Has he thought over it before going ahead to procure this old coaches? Why are the owners disposing them off? if he had thought it over, then i wish luck and i hope this never boomerang later life. A giant stride i will call it.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by pokur: 6:53pm On Oct 16, 2011
hypocrites! just wondering why same people are critisizing Gej when he said it will take 2/3 yrs to generate 10000mw of electricity. shior
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by EkoIle1: 7:04pm On Oct 16, 2011
pokur:

hypocrites! just wondering why same people are critisizing Gej when he said it will take 2/3 yrs to generate 10000mw of electricity. shior

Must you bring up that weak and incompetent man?

Why should we pay any attention to GEJ and his lousy, crooked and incompetent party? How long have they been stealing us dry with the fake power promise?

What's going on in Lagos is not mouth talk or promise, this is reality

GEJ was a governor just like, so tell us one single thing he archived and delivered to his people in Bayelsa as the deputy and siting governor of Bayelsa? If you can not, hush your mouth.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by aljharem3: 7:05pm On Oct 16, 2011
pokur:

who critized GEJ for that ? pls show us the thread
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 7:07pm On Oct 16, 2011
awuf2008:

Has he thought over it before going ahead to procure this old coaches? Why are the owners disposing them off? if he had thought it over, then i wish luck and i hope this never boomerang later life. A giant stride i will call it.

There is nothing to "think over". These trains were made to last a minimum of 60 years and the ones Lagos will recieve have only being in use for around 15 years.

They were built for a minimum of 60 years and are presently not more than 15 years old. The seats and the engines will be changed before they are shipped here. The same thing applies to most aircraft we see. They are not new, the components are always changed,” Fashola said.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by ocheejemb: 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2011
If Fashola says they are good enough they are good enought, I believe in him die,
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Gbawe: 7:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
pokur:

The Federal Government is currently performing very poorly under GEJ even if you don't want to see it let alone admit it. Ogun is having to fix federal Roads and above I show how Aregbesola had to dip into Osun coffers to buy Armoured Personnel Carriers and Patrol vans , to combat crime, when this should ordinarily be the duty of the FG.

Before posting emotionally to defend GEJ, you should make the important distinction to note that folks criticise GEJ because they are seeing nothing at all to show that we have a federal Government running Nigeria. Where , for example, is the aggressive drive to fix federal roads that are death traps? Did GEJ not have enough time to plan , as substantive President for a year, how he would use his new term? You don't promise to "hit the ground running" and "transformation" only for Nigerians to recieve "more of the same" .
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by 1forall: 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2011
Eko Ile did create a thread with pictures of Fashola when he went to check out the trains himself. .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-668039.0.html#msg8328691

S/he sourced it from a newpaper story. . .

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/05/15/in-pictures-fashola-inspects-trains-facilities-for-lagos-light-rail-in-canada/

Obviously the governor knows what he's saying on the matter.

It's hard to argue that Fashola does not appear as the most effective political office holder so far.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by manny4life(m): 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
I'm very impressed though; I thought the rumor was that the coaches was like 30+ years or more, 15 years is acceptable. Most train coaches according to Extreme Engineering; Subways in America (Discovery Channel), trains in the U.S. are like 25 years or more. These trains go through thorough overhaul at the end of their cycles. Fashola also used airplanes as an example, that analysis was on point. I think that's what Lagos needs, although I do not agree with the 6-8years theory for coach production.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Pifa: 8:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
You guys know more about this issue than I, so correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that Nigeria uses the narrow-gauge 1,067-mm rails rather than the standard 1,435-mm gauge used in many parts of the world. I’ve always perceived the narrow gage to be disadvantageous because it necessitates procurement of non-standard rail cars which can drive up cost and lengthen delivery time. This may be what the governor was alluding to when he said, “it would take about six to eight years to manufacture new coaches to the specifications for use in Nigeria.”

@PointB
If the Canadian contractor had to build 1,067-gauge rail cars from scratch, they might have to build new tooling to accommodate the non-standard gauge. But you are right to question the lead time. It should not take six years to build the coaches, if the assembly line and tooling already exist and absent a huge order backlog.

Does anyone know what gauge the countries neighboring Nigeria (all of W. Africa, actually) use in their rail systems? If they all use the standard 1435-mm gauge, this might make rail transportation between Nigeria and those W. African countries a challenge. It would be advantageous for African countries to adopt a uniform gauge system as this would facilitate rail transportation throughout the continent.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Johnpaul2k2(m): 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2011
everything that concerns fashola is always the best
whether fake or their likes grin cheesy
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by musiwa43: 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2011
fashola, a ti so fu e pe ko si ligh train. Metro line ni.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by dayokanu(m): 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2011
Go ACN
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by gascoign1(m): 10:08pm On Oct 16, 2011
Good start!
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by Depilot(m): 10:15pm On Oct 16, 2011
I like Fashola. I think he's still the main reason why many other ACN governors or senators around Nigeria got voted in during the last elections, and not because of anything else.
His latest project is a good one, in fact will be a great way for Nigeria or Lagos state to start a new phase of development. However, every politician in Lagos or Abuja knows that this kind of project during the second term of any governor is a lucrative retirement package.
I mean, the project is good for Lagos, but Oga Fashola will also make money from the project, that will not be traceable. It is certainly inevitable.
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by dayokanu(m): 10:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
Depilot:

I like Fashola. I think he's still the main reason why many other ACN governors or senators around Nigeria got voted in during the last elections, and not because of anything else.
His latest project is a good one, in fact will be a great way for Nigeria or Lagos state to start a new phase of development. However, every politician in Lagos or Abuja knows that this kind of project during the second term of any governor is a lucrative retirement package.
I mean, the project is good for Lagos, but Oga Fashola will also make money from the project, that will not be traceable. It is certainly inevitable.

Dont forget to thank ASIWAJU TINUBU for imposing Fashola on us in Lagos
Re: 15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola by clip: 11:40pm On Oct 16, 2011
If by standard, 15-years rail is still good.i will only say well-done when the project is working effective

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikemba Nnewi: Fashola Pledges Full Cooperation With National Funeral Com. PICS. / Ogun Sets Date To Open Four New Fire Stations / Paid Black Americans Counters Yoruba Nation Protesters In New York, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.