Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North (8865 Views)

Middle Belt Youths, Cleric Declare Support For Jonathan’s Re-election / We Will Vote Jonathan Despite Our Regrets In Voting Him In 2011 – Middle Belt / In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by naijaking1: 12:57am On Oct 18, 2011
Group seeks Middle Belt’s separation from North
By Eric Ikhilae 34 minutes ago

A group, the Middle Belt Alliance (MBA), which claimed to represent the interest of indigenes of Northcentral states, has begun moves for the separation of the region from  the North.

It decried the current arrangement where Middle Belt indigenes are grouped with the Hausa-Fulani with the intent to create a façade of one North.

Rising from its inaugural meeting in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, the group said it had resolved, among others, to ensure that the region no longer “plays the second fiddle” and is treated as an equal stakeholder in the Nigerian project.

In a communiqué by its Chairman, Dr. Leonard Shilgba, and Secretary, Comrade Andrew Ayuba Butswat, it urged governors from the region to form the Middle Belt Governors’ Forum and pull out of the present Northern Governors’ Forum.

Faulting the provisions of the 1999 Constitution, the group called for the convocation of a sovereign national conference where a new constitution would be made for Nigeria; where each federating unit would have control of its resources and progress at its pace; where the Constitution would ensure justice and equity.

The group noted that some of the traditional titles borne by certain Middle Belt leaders do not have origins in the Middle Belt and called the people to renounce tradition and practices alien to them.

The communiqué reads: “We must be proud of our culture and the pre-dominant religion (Christianity) of our region. No Islamic theocracy shall be accepted in any part of our territory.

“Any constitutional arrangement that seeks to permit Sharia law implementation in any inch of our territory shall be resisted with all resources at our disposal. Religion is an individual choice to make, and must not be imposed.”

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by naijaking1: 1:06am On Oct 18, 2011
Any information on how to send donation and support to MBA will be appreciated.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Onlytruth(m): 1:10am On Oct 18, 2011
Posted by: naijaking1

Any information on how to send donation and support to MBA will be appreciated.

cool cool cool
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Onlytruth(m): 1:13am On Oct 18, 2011
I've always argued that the road to the future of Nigeria passes through the middle belt. One north has always been a myth perpetuated by the Hausa/Fulani to lord it over Nigeria.
Gideon Orka saw it clearly and wanted to put an end to it.
It is already happening, and Nigeria is better for it. cool
Jonathan should encourage them with whatever resources that is available.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by naijaking1: 1:44am On Oct 18, 2011
Onlytruth:

I've always argued that the road to the future of Nigeria passes through the middle belt. One north has always been a myth perpetuated by the Hausa/Fulani to lord it over Nigeria.
Gideon Orka saw it clearly and wanted to put an end to it.
It is already happening, and Nigeria is better for it. cool
Jonathan should encourage them with whatever resources that is available.

I remember him now.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by nduchucks: 5:15am On Oct 18, 2011
Failed secessionists are now trying to live their dream of a separate nation vicariously through middlebelters. You people are well advised to send your money to the East and develop that place. olodo cheesy  cheesy  cheesy
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Relax101(m): 5:24am On Oct 18, 2011
I will make sure I build up 200ft walls to stop them from coming down south. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by ifyalways(f): 8:00am On Oct 18, 2011
They just woke up? 'cos the tables are turned and there are no crumbs thrown to them by their saviour, the core North?

The Cub is neither safe nor spared when the lion is starved.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by PointB: 8:21am On Oct 18, 2011
I think this is a brilliant and well thought out move by the people of the middle belt. For crying out loud, what is the cultural similarity between the Benue people and the Core North - North Kaduna, Kano, Bornu, etc?

Leeching upon the goodwill and gentility of the other culture in name of 'North' should stop.

Middle Belt Governor's Forum should be form now!
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by namfav(m): 8:24am On Oct 18, 2011
we wont give up the middle belt, there is too much to survive for in the middle belt, who'd be grazy to give it away, the middle belt belongs as much to the benue as to northerners
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by bisiaet: 10:01am On Oct 18, 2011
Are they just woken up? They now realised what everybody has be telling them for long? So sorry for them to be honest because they have be sleeping since following people that sees them as nonexisting people in the first place.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by PointB: 10:10am On Oct 18, 2011
namfav:

we wont give up the middle belt, there is too much to survive for in the middle belt, who'd be grazy to give it away, the middle belt belongs as much to the benue as to northerners

North wont give up Igbo
North wont give up Ijaw
North wont give up Yoruba
North wont give up Middle Belt

I laugh in North.

Soon enough, a foolish man will jump in front of a moving train. Carry on! grin grin grin
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 18, 2011
these 'middle-belters' are not serious.when they are ready, they should consult BH or MEND for tactical advice
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 18, 2011
these 'middle-belters' are not serious.when they are ready, they should consult BH or MEND for tactical advice
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by jason2010(m): 10:19am On Oct 18, 2011
I wonder what Gowon has to say to this
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 18, 2011
Finally, my chicken is coming to roost.

Yes, the Middle Belt has been used by the Jihardists as a willing tool in their conquest. If the MB has woken up just like the ND did a "few hours" ago, then I am glad.

The next phase is the alliance between the MD and the South. When it happens, the Jihardists will have two options:

1. To respect other Nigerians irrespective of tribe and religion
2. To pull out and form their Republic of Sharia, where Boko will be Haram.

It is time for the Jihardists to sit down, think and talk. They should study Nigeria and then find a way to exist with the rest of us.
I believe in the freedom of religion, but if your religion denies me the freedom to have my own religion, then something is wrong with that your religion.

My chicken has come to roost.  There is surely hope.

Thanks and thumbs up to all who dareded to take this bold step.

We in the South are with you.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Emmyk(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2011
I love this developement!
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by jason2010(m): 11:13am On Oct 18, 2011
noblezone:

Finally, my chicken is coming to roost.

Yes, the Middle Belt has been used by the Jihardists as a willing tool in their conquest. If the MB has woken up just like the ND did a "few hours" ago, then I am glad.

The next phase is the alliance between the MD and the South. When it happens, the Jihardists will have two options:

1. To respect other Nigerians irrespective of tribe and religion
2. To pull out and form their Republic of Sharia, where Boko will be Haram.

It is time for the Jihardists to sit down, think and talk. They should study Nigeria and then find a way to exist with the rest of us.
I believe in the freedom of religion, but if your religion denies me the freedom to have my own religion, then something is wrong with that your religion.

My chicken has come to roost.  There is surely hope.

Thanks and thumbs up to all who dareded to take this bold step.

Although you guys have finally woken up, we in the SE are also with you with God's blessings, as a matter of fact, we are ahead of you. Ride on MBners
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by WilWily: 11:23am On Oct 18, 2011
noblezone:

Who is We in the south are with them?
Mine Wish is to see Hausa/Fulani to finish them off quick,
These Middle Belters are Kackroaches, i don't know why it's taking Hausa/Fulanis to do normal thing, Kill all off.
I am in support of Boko Haram, if they can concentrate in killing only Middle Belters

1 Like

Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by ak47mann(m): 11:25am On Oct 18, 2011
we will secure the whole place with high electrocution walls and our police and immigration will be stand by,we will still abide  by (ECOWAS) law of freedom of movement and residents cheesy cheesy cheesy cant waitoooooo tongue tongue tongue
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by ochiaha1(m): 12:11pm On Oct 18, 2011
I think the Middle-belt people should still maintain their membership of the Northern Governors Forum because there is strenght in numbers , but they could still articulate and pass on their region's wishes and aspiration through the Middle-Belt Forum, a Social-Cultural Organisation. The Middle-Belt can also form an economic power-block to help their region to develop much faster. smiley

The above approach is what is practised by the South-East and the South-West. The South-East has its own Governors Forum, while still being part of the Southern Governors forum, also the South -East has formed a regional economic block, 'The South-East Economic Commission' ; the south-West have a Governors Forum, while being part of the Southern Governors Forum, it also has Odua Economic Group which is meant to foster economic growth and development in the South-West.  cool

1 Like

Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Beaf: 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
PointB:

North wont give up Igbo
North wont give up Ijaw
North wont give up Yoruba
North wont give up Middle Belt

I laugh in North.

Soon enough, a foolish man will jump in front of a moving train. Carry on! grin grin grin

Unu go wound pikin o! grin grin grin grin
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Beaf: 12:20pm On Oct 18, 2011
ochi-aha:

I think the Middle-belt people should still maintain their membership of the Northern Governors Forum because there is strenght in numbers , but they could still articulate and pass on their region's wishes and aspiration through the Middle-Belt Forum, a Social-Cultural Organisation. The Middle-Belt can also form an economic power-block to help their region to develop much faster. smiley

The above approach is what is practised by the South-East and the South-West. The South-East has its own Governors Forum, while still being part of the Southern Governors forum, also the South -East has formed a regional economic block, 'The South-East Economic Commission' ; the south-West have a Governors Forum, while being part of the Southern Governors Forum, it also has Odua Economic Group which is meant to foster economic growth and development in the South-West.  cool

The Middle Belt is better off articulating with the SS/SE. What is it they have in common to articulate with the core-North? Some of una eye nefa clear! shocked
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by naijaking1: 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2011
ochi-aha:

The above approach is what is practised by the South-East and the South-West. The South-East has its own Governors Forum, while still being part of the Southern Governors forum, also the South -East has formed a regional economic block, 'The South-East Economic Commission' ; the south-West have a Governors Forum, while being part of the Southern Governors Forum, it also has Odua Economic Group which is meant to foster economic growth and development in the South-West. cool

The problem has to do with latent and subtle policies aimed to 'islamizing' the area. Do you think they should wait till the Gbon Gwon Jos is forced to become a muslim--the emir of Jos, or when the Tor Tiv becomes the emir of Tivland? Methinks that if they wait further, it might be too late to reverse these trends to convert, subjugate, and "conquer" the middle belt.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Mortiple(m): 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2011
Who cares?!
jason2010:

Although you guys have finally woken up, we in the SE are also with you with God's blessings, as a matter of fact, we are ahead of you. Ride on MBners

No! No!! No!!! We, the South Easteners cannot give them our support, because they don't deserve it. They were used to executive war against Ndigbo.  The innocent blood of our defenseless women and children they massacred are still crying for justice, all in the name of ONE NIGERIA. Even now, they still don't speak well of us.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Kx: 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
Another prove that Nigeria is an arrangement of over 5 countries waiting to break away?
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Dede1(m): 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2011
@POST

The water has already gone under the bridge. This latest cry for true political and cultural identity is more than forty years old behind the criers. A fool at forty, they say is a fool forever. It is even more shameful than laughable the group seemed to be yearning for convocation of a sovereign national conference for amendment to the Nigerian constitution and control of resources.

I must say that any call less then disintegration of colonial contraption called Nigeria is delusional and practical joke.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
n
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Beaf: 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
^
Very interesting and historical user name. Are you Edo?
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 18, 2011
Mortiple:

Who cares?!
No! No!! No!!! We, the South Easteners cannot give them our support, because they don't deserve it. They were used to executive war against Ndigbo.  The innocent blood of our defenseless women and children they massacred are still crying for justice, all in the name of ONE NIGERIA. Even now, they still don't speak well of us.

Please, Bro Please. Let us forgive them. Let us accept them. They have shown enough will to confront the Jihardists. The election of Jonathan is a proof that the Jihardists have lost the domination and the control of the Middle Belt. They have also paid the price for dinning with the Jiharidsts. Yes, they killed us as enemies, but now that  they have come to know who the real enemy is, let us welcome them.

Have not stretched our our arms to the South South? If we can embrace the South South, then let us extend to the Middle Belt.
I tell you, this is one of the greatest things that can happen to Nigeria.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by PointB: 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2011
Beaf:

Unu go wound pikin o! grin grin grin grin

lol, na so I see am oo. Some foolish men will jump in front of bullet train to stop what will be.
I can and will only laugh at such stupidity.

Core North is been gradually isolated; mass murder, intimidation, threat, sharia, boko haram etc, have all proven a failed strategy. Soon they will beg others groups for an SNC.
Re: Middle Belt Alliance Seeks Middle Belt's Separation From The North by mathskill: 1:05pm On Oct 18, 2011
Nigeria is a result of colonialism not the wishes of the variouse components that make up this country.Never once in our history have we sat down to decide our very coexistance.I believe we have fooled ourselves this far and it's high time we stop that and convene a sovereign National conference.Yes,as extreme as that may sound it's better we separate like the sudan than fight like in rwanda.Into how many parts Nigeria may break into is left for guessing.One thing is definate the following regions would be on their own.SW comprising the yoruba states including kwara,SS,SE,Mid.Belt and the North.May God guide us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

African Association Of Automotive Manufacturers And Buhari Pictured / Buhari To Inaugurate The Apc Presidential Campaign Council On Monday, January 7 / Aminu Abdullahi Shagali Re-elected Speaker, Kaduna House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.