Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed (32856 Views)

Igbo Names (girl) That Start With T And K / Ten-Year-Old Gives Birth To Baby Girl / A Baby Girl,she Is Just A Week Old. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Angolobabe(f): 9:00am On Oct 19, 2011
Hello Nairalanders,

Please can anyone suggest good short igbo names for girls with its meaning ? .
Your help will be highly appreciate .
Thanks
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Ferya(f): 8:17pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ Poster You can check this thread, the link below
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11383.96.html
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 8:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
mine is ndidiamaka meaning patience is a good tin
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Angolobabe(f): 9:09pm On Oct 19, 2011
Thanks alot for the link,will check it out
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2011
Idowuogbo:

mine is ndidiamaka meaning patience is a good tin
Wakey wakey!!!! Nobody answers such a name again. Ndidigini? Olorun maje!!
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by NaJaHaJe(f): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2011
So one spends life ndidi-ing till death,  I like obiageli grin

Life is too short
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2011
Odunnu:

Wakey wakey!!!! Nobody answers such a name again. Ndidigini? Olorun maje!!
Odunnu wot is wrong wiv my name na , i dont no much of it .Is it a bad name bcus i noticed naja haje is making gest of me sad cry
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 9:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
The name sef na wa. People wey dey answer the name na curse the name dey bring for them tongue
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2011
Are u for real am half igbo so i bear it as a middle name na wa o hmmmmmm
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Ameshiful2: 4:15am On Oct 20, 2011
Idowuogbo, they are just messing with you.

Ndidiamaka is a beautiful name. So is Obiageli.

Ndidi (Patience) Amaka(Is beautiful)

Of course, in this world of "instant gratification", there might be people who wouldn't think patience is a virtue

Obiageli (One who came to chop) aka chopping gyal.

But sometimes you need Ndidi before you can chop, no be so? grin
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by blank(f): 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2011
Oluoma - Good works
Chioma - good God
Kodichi - As God wills
Ezinwa - Good child
nkemamaka - my own is beautiful
Lotachi - Remember God
Chisom - God is with me/ God follows me
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by NaJaHaJe(f): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
@ Ameshi

You don't need ndidi to chop! Sometimes this virtue can turn into stupidity,

@ topic

How bout onyinye?
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Hotstepper(f): 1:37am On Oct 21, 2011
Nwakanwasmiley
Chizaram
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Ninapha(f): 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2011
HMmmmmmmm

CHIZITEREM- Mostly called Chizzy- meaning sent by God

Chisimdi---- God Kept me

Ebube Chukwu-- God's Glory

my best is: Kamsiyochukwu- shortened -Kamsy- meaning -Just as I asked of God
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by blacklion(m): 5:43pm On Oct 24, 2011
Idowuogbo,

Don't mind those messing with your lovely middle name. Nigerians and superstitions! It all began with the popular Nollywood movie of the late '90s - 'Nneka the Pretty Serpent' - with Ndidi Obi in the lead role. The film was very graphic/explicit for its time and the lead actress is light complexioned. The usual naija rumour began that Ndidi Obi is an ogbanje in real life. Next thing you know, Pentecostal pastors began using the movie as a sermon theme. From there, the rumour spread that all girls named Ndidi are ogbanje etc, etc.

1 Like

Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2011
Ameshiful2:

Idowuogbo, they are just messing with you.

Ndidiamaka is a beautiful name. So is Obiageli.

Ndidi (Patience) Amaka(Is beautiful)

Of course, in this world of "instant gratification", there might be people who wouldn't think patience is a virtue

Obiageli (One who came to chop) aka chopping gyal.

But sometimes you need Ndidi before you can chop, no be so? grin
thanks dear i have researched d roots of d name myself and am happy with d name cus it holds its meaning in the heart of my parents

Ndidimaka is surely a beautiful name regardless of the meaning , i like d pronunciation 2

blacklion:

Idowuogbo,

Don't mind those messing with your lovely middle name. Nigerians and superstitions! It all began with the popular Nollywood movie of the late '90s - 'Nneka the Pretty Serpent' - with Ndidi Obi in the lead role. The film was very graphic/explicit for its time and the lead actress is light complexioned. The usual naija rumour began that Ndidi Obi is an ogbanje in real life. Next thing you know, Pentecostal pastors began using the movie as a sermon theme. From there, the rumour spread that all girls named Ndidi are ogbanje etc, etc.

Awwh thanks for taking time to enlighten me , surely nigerians and dier beliefs neva cease to amaze me .It is well sha smiley

NaJa HaJe:

@ Ameshi

You don't need ndidi to chop! Sometimes this virtue can turn into stupidity,

@ topic

How bout onyinye?
Madam thanks o for ur droppings but biko pls kip ur negativity to ur self . I have hrd my name is stupiddd and to u elizabeth urs is perfect abi undecided undecided undecided
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by blank(f): 6:31pm On Oct 24, 2011
@ Idowuogbo, She was just saying that patience is no longer a virtue that is why people feel that Ndidi is outdated. No one wantss to wait again.

No vex my dear. I don't think she meant to be offend.
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 6:36pm On Oct 24, 2011
blank:

@ Idowuogbo, She was just saying that patience is no longer a virtue that is why people feel that Ndidi is outdated. No one wantss to wait again.

No vex my dear. I don't think she meant to be offend.
I hia nne but ndidi might b dated to sum1 , i jus stated a name according to d request of d poster .Its left to the poster to digest what she feels about it not people like Odunnu and co angry angry angry angry angry angry(although oduns na my gal ) critiquing my name .
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2011
Seriously ID, Ndidiamaka is outdated. The meaning itself isnt encouraging.
Have you heard names like
Kamdilichukwu- shortened to Kamdi (sounds like Candy)
Chizaram - Chizzy
Daberechi - Dabz
Lotanna- (sounds very foreign)

1 Like

Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2011
Odunnu:

Chizaram - Chizzy
Daberechi - Dabz
Come dem send u to me , i have hrd dated or expired . I don hia u na

If i vex hia Odunnu u no me o, Badosky ur person no dey look bck angry angry angry
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 7:55pm On Oct 24, 2011
Go siddon jor! Na where Odunnu dey u dey flex muscle.
Dont you ever dare give my lil daughter inlaw Ndidiamaka or else. . .
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2011
Odunnu if i catch u and dat ur mamiwater shape ,watch me and u nonsense angry angry angry
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 8:00pm On Oct 24, 2011
Hahahahahahahahahaha jolosy joloma
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by blacklion(m): 8:01pm On Oct 24, 2011
Odunnu:

Chizaram - Chizzy
Daberechi - Dabz

'Patience is good' is not encouraging? No wonder we are the most corrupt, fraudulent and lawless nation in the world with that sort of rat race mentality.

Those other names in your list are recent Pentecostalized/funky-fied names except Lotanna. This is why you can hardly find any Igbo person above the age of 25 bearing such names. They are not traditional Igbo names.  However, Lotanna/Lotachi/Lotachukwu (remember God) has been around for quite a while now. I know people in their forties with that name.

Ndidiamaka is an old and venerable Igbo name and it conveys a very positive virtue.

ID, abeg no mind dem cheesy grin
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Idowuogbo(f): 8:04pm On Oct 24, 2011
blacklion:

'Patience is good' is not encouraging? No wonder we are the most corrupt, fraudulent and lawless nation in the world with that sort of rat race mentality.

Those other names in your list are recent Pentecostalized/funky-fied names except Lotanna. This is why you can hardly find any Igbo person above the age of 25 bearing such names. They are not traditional Igbo names.  However, Lotanna/Lotachi/Lotachukwu (remember God) has been around for quite a while now. I know people in their forties with that name.

Ndidiamaka is an old and venerable Igbo name and it conveys a very positive virtue.

ID, abeg no mind dem cheesy grin
Nnayi tell dem oooooo , egbere gbere 1 of Bayelsa grin grin grin grin grin, odunnu see ur yanshhhhhh oooo hahahahhahahaha
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Odunnu: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2011
Lol
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Chrys1(f): 12:11pm On Oct 25, 2011
Chimdindu- chimdi-my God is alive Chidaalu- weldone lord Chimatokam- my God is so sweet
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by mafolayomi(f): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2011
what does Lotanna mean?
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Ameshiful2: 6:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
Lota = Remember

Nna = Father.

So it means "Remember the Father" Now you may choose to see Father as meaning, earthly father or Heavenly father (God).
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by Wendyslim(f): 8:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
Uloma. Means good. Home
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by dearfriend: 6:13am On Jan 21, 2013
chisonari.. God is sweeter
chikamso...God i follow
chikaima...God we know
ubamara...abundant grace
amogechukwu...Gods time
Re: Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed by coolzeal(m): 6:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Chioma
Ifeoma
Ijeoma
Ifunnaya
Olaoma
Adaeze
Nneka
Chiaka
Oluchi
Chinyere
Ogechi
Chizoba
Nnnena
Chinasa
Eberechi
Chinonye
Nneoma
Casarachi

someone should please interpret the meaning. I know some
but don't wanna make a fool of myself..

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is The Worst Christmas Of My Life / Imade Nibokun: "Why I Avoid Nigerian Old Men Like The Plague"- / Please Help! My Grandmother Is Missing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.