Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? (5106 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by RiffRaff: 7:24pm On Oct 19, 2011
I don’t know about other countries in the world but here in Nigeria being an atheist can get u into a whole lot of trouble. For me, I have gotten into trouble with my family, some of my friends and recently (yesterday) my girlfriend called it quit cuz she can’t imagine living with somebody who does not believe in a supernatural deity. She said at first, she thought i belong to 1 of the religion (Islam/Christianity), until she saw me disproving the arguments of my religious friends that have d habit of attributing all the solutions to Nigeria’s problem to God and prayer. From that moment on she tried convincing me to have a religion (any one for that matter) but I keep insisting u don’t need to believe in any deity.
It’s funny that I have always accepted people for who they are (irrespective of their religious belief) but most religious people won’t do the same for atheist. In fact, they prefer a stone worshipping fellow to an atheist.

Ever got into trouble cuz of ur religious belief/ Non Belief
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2011
Riff-Raff:

I don’t know about other countries in the world but here in Nigeria being an atheist can get u into a whole lot of trouble. For me, I have gotten into trouble with my family, some of my friends and recently (yesterday) my girlfriend called it quit cuz she can’t imagine living with somebody who does not believe in a supernatural deity. She said at first, she thought i belong to 1 of the religion (Islam/Christianity), until she saw me disproving the arguments of my religious friends that have d habit of attributing all the solutions to Nigeria’s problem to God and prayer. From that moment on she tried convincing me to have a religion (any one for that matter) but I keep insisting u don’t need to believe in any deity.
It’s funny that I have always accepted people for who they are (irrespective of their religious belief) but most religious people won’t do the same for atheist. In fact, they prefer a stone worshipping fellow to an atheist.

Ever got into trouble cuz of your religious belief/ Non Belief

That's not true. Religious people accept you for who you are . . . but your girlfriend has the right to insist on spiritual compatibility when it comes to someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Would you accept a dirty person the way she is? Would you want to be friends with a quarrelsome woman? Would you consider yourself compatible with someone who is over-weight? Why then do you think a religious person should put up with a form of incompatibility?

With regards to your family . . . that is your own issue. It has nothing to do with the rest of us.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 19, 2011
no wonder many atheists in Nigeria are cowards. Im sure some of those that rants on NL will be church goers on Sundays in fear of being rejected. oma se oooooooooooo cry
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 8:21pm On Oct 19, 2011
Slightly off topic, but I'm never so eager to debate religious folks in public for the simple reason that I know its an argument that can never be won. Plus you end up looking like an evil person. Even on this forum, certain individuals have suggested that. They have also suggested that we can be killed without any consequence since as the logic goes, we arent humans.
That may seem extreme but a lot of people hold similar views though to differing degrees. Funny thing is most people dont know I dont believe in God, and they are shocked when they find out.
Trying to veer back to the topic; I havent personally gotten in trouble for not believing in God.

Ironically, when I was serving, I taught Christian Religious Knowledge  grin. It was either that or literature, so I chose CRk cos it was far easier.
My father said it was like Karl Marx teaching democracy.

toba:

no wonder many atheists in Nigeria are cowards. Im sure some of those that rants on NL will be church goers on Sundays in fear of being rejected. oma se oooooooooooo cry
How many atheists in Nigeria do you know and what qualifies them as cowards ?
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by mazaje(m): 8:43pm On Oct 19, 2011
davidylan:

That's not true. Religious people accept you for who you are . . . but your girlfriend has the right to insist on spiritual compatibility when it comes to someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Would you accept a dirty person the way she is? Would you want to be friends with a quarrelsome woman? Would you consider yourself compatible with someone who is over-weight? Why then do you think a religious person should put up with a form of incompatibility?

With regards to your family . . . that is your own issue. It has nothing to do with the rest of us.

The highlighted part is a VERY big lie in Nigeria. . .Religious people are forced to accept atheist in the west mainly because they have no option since most of the societies are irreligious or completely secular, but not in Nigeria a country where a governor of a state fires people for not attending morning prayers and nothing was done to him, a country that is so religious and where people carry their various gods and religion on their faces and on their shoulders. . .Try being an atheist for a day in Nigeria and see if you don't lose out on many things. . . .The last time I was in Nigeria for my oil deal, I saw people conducting a mini service during break in one of the offices in the crude oil department in NNPC towers in abuja(ironically the NNPC is one of the most corrupt institutions in Nigeria, more corrupt than PHCN and the police force, these same people are the ones stealing money and doing shady deals ALL of the time). . .Every body strongly believes in a God or religion in Nigeria, I have seen where a guy lost out of an oil deal because he was an adherent of the grail message, the guy in charge decided to give me the deal because he didn't want to deal with a cultist as he said because he doesn't want the guy to use the money to further his clutist agenda he felt it will be better to deal with a christian cos he thought I was one. . . If the people that do business with me ever knew that I was an atheist they will all run away from me and will not want to have anything to do with me believe me, the problem is that these guys scare me with their dishonesty, theft and lies, but all you hear from them is Jesus this or Mohammed that ALL the time, yet this are the same people that are running the NNPC down, its really CRAZY!!!!. . . .You LIE big time if you say that atheist are accepted in Nigeria. . .Just pretend to be an atheist for a day in Nigeria, some people will beat you up depending on the place you are cos they will feel you are the mythical devil. . . .

toba:

Not cowards. . .I have seen christains hide their identity in places like kano and jigawa because they do not need the unnecessary persecutions of the muslims, I have seen adherent of the grail message hide their identity as well. . . .If people will let us be, no body will hide his or her identity. . .But what do are you to do with bunch of people that believe so much in religion to the extent they they are always killing each other because of it?. . . .
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by harakiri(m): 8:51pm On Oct 19, 2011
@Riff Raff,

We live in a society that's dominated by religious dogma. It isn't wise to get into debates/arguments with religious folks if you can help it. It can be hard but unless you're thick skinned, it's best to apply diplomacy. They will ALWAYS be quick in labelling you as an "evil person" for not being religious. They would regard the chief with 21 human heads under his bed as being more morally upright than yourself. Religion is no different from cultism and they believe "you MUST belong" to something unless something is wrong with you.

@toba

Do you really think everyone has social insecurities like yourself? If you need the acknowledgement of others to feel "among", then you are the real COWARD not the poster.

@davidylan

You just couldn't help yourself could you? You had to compare atheists to all the disgusting things you could think of e.g dirty person and over weight people. How "nice" of you. Was that really necessary? And yet you say Christians don't discriminate. No wahala. Nothing do you.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 19, 2011
harakiri:

@davidylan

You just couldn't help yourself could you? You had to compare atheists to all the disgusting things you could think of e.g dirty person and over weight people. How "nice" of you. Was that really necessary? And yet you say Christians don't discriminate. No wahala. Nothing do you.

Irrelevant. The key was to explain a point.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by harakiri(m): 9:05pm On Oct 19, 2011
@davidylan,

Of course my statement is irrelevant. What other better to get "your points" across by comparing Atheists with the most disgusting things you could think of! How "thoughtful".
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2011
harakiri:

@davidylan

I saw that and wanted to respond to it, but I thought it wiser not to. Its rather unfortunate.

mazaje:

Try being an atheist for a day in Nigeria and see if you don't lose out on many things
So true.
mazaje:

Not cowards. . .I have seen christains hide their identity in places like kano and jigawa because they do not need the unnecessary persecutions of the muslims, I have seen adherent of the grail message hide their identity as well. . . .If people will let us be, no body will hide his or her identity. . .But what do are you to do with bunch of people that believe so much in religion to the extent they they are always killing each other because of it?. . . .
Well said.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by joyuchesun: 11:27pm On Oct 19, 2011
I found more often than not it is better to keep atheists beliefs to oneself. The debates become pointless. Many believers actually have not fully thought about what they believe, and so when confronted by logic or the thoughts of an atheist, it takes them out of their comfort zone. This is usually not a good feeling for them and leads to actions that are intended to protect their current state of "ignorance is bliss."
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 11:47pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^ You are right. Most times folks hear that I do not believe in God, they want to know why. I usually politely decline and tell them to leave things as they are. Of course they never do. Many infact go as far as calling you a fool. It is inevitable then, that sometimes a debate arises which neither side can win.
Your typical christian is logic proof and the atheist is faithless (in terms of the supernatural). No side can make any progress.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Ishilove: 12:46am On Oct 20, 2011
jayriginal:

^^ You are right. Most times folks hear that I do not believe in God, they want to know why. I usually politely decline and tell them to leave things as they are. Of course they never do. Many infact go as far as calling you a fool. It is inevitable then, that sometimes a debate arises which neither side can win.
Your typical christian is logic proof and the atheist is faithless (in terms of the supernatural). No side can make any progress.   
Hmmm, don't agree with ya,dear one. I'm a "typical Christian" as you put it,but i'm also very liberal {some of my closest friends are atheists} 'cos I believe in "live and let live". However i base my belief in God on personal experience. The society we live in is a very religious one,so not having a religiön is regarded as abnormal. That's just the way things are.
@op. Its prolly best she broke up with you because marriage is about compatibility. U two were not. . .um. . .religiously (??) compatible as Mr Daviddylan has pointed out. You being an atheist,would you have wanted your children brought up in the Christian faith? Don't think so.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by 1Godfather(m): 7:53am On Oct 20, 2011
joyuchesun:

I found more often than not it is better to keep atheists beliefs to oneself. The debates become pointless. Many believers actually have not fully thought about what they believe, and so when confronted by logic or the thoughts of an atheist, it takes them out of their comfort zone. This is usually not a good feeling for them and leads to actions that are intended to protect their current state of "ignorance is bliss."

There was a time when one could reasonably discuss with an atheist on belief and non-belief and expect a polite but firm discussion. Ultimately, the theist may not succeed in getting the atheist to see his point of view, but the exchange would be as cordial as it was passionate. This is because, the atheist would be interested in showing why he is not fully persuaded to believe. Perhaps, if you run into a decent friend or acquaintance who is ideologically opposed to you on the God question, such a frank but civil discussion can truly occur.

Alas these days, with the birth of this New Atheism, unsophisticated and full of sound and fury, it has become quite fashionable in atheist circles to deride, cajole, mock, insult and pollute theists and theism. This is what usually passes for intelligent debates with many of today's atheists--some haughty posturing borne out of a sincere atheistic belief that virtually all theists are STUPID and DELUSIONAL. It is no wonder that these discussions quickly devolve into a mud-slinging match because people cease engaging honestly and respectfully. Much heat expended but no light thrown on the issue before consideration. After one has tried a few times to discuss issues of great personal import with a person who seems more disposed to aggression, one inevitably tires of the whole affair. Perhaps, like some have suggested, there is really no point to these discussions. Atheists can gather together, as often as they are wont, listen to speeches (read sermons) delivered by their atheistic high priests, build up and exhort one another in their common God-disbelief, share an intimate fellowship of universal mockery or umbrage at some offensive actions from the faith arena, and disperse to their respective homes--ALL WITHOUT BOTHERING ABOUT THESE 'IGNORANT' THEISTS!

But I think that would be too easy--for how else is an atheist going to satiate the inner hunger to rid theists of their meddlesome and 'ignorant' God-belief if they can't utilize sundry web fora, Youtube videos, billboards and citybuses to fulminate on the ills of religion? I mean, how dare anyone hate on atheists anyway? Aren't they the hallowed few who managed to see through the puerile sunday-school caricature of Christian orthodoxy they were unfortunately given to when they were much younger? Aren't they the uber-logical geniuses against whom every contrary opinion must be the product of some delusion and faulty reasoning? Why should the largely 'ignorant' mass of humanity squirm upon being upbraided by the ever-so-gracious but nonetheless 'completely rational' and 'supremely intelligent' atheist? Shouldn't they consider the atheist's sophomoric diatribe against theism, or his endless bellyaching over the ills committed by religious people, an act of charity? Oh well, I don't know about you--but in the interest of peace, and to massage the egos of newly-minted atheists, who are eager to jump into a debate to vomit the latest things he has picked up in college, perhaps it is better to just sit still and allow an atheist to lecture for all he is worth.

Sadly, I have noticed that too many atheists are rather diffident about honestly sharing what they truly believe; you know, about constructing a positive worldview and philosophy that is completely devoid of God and its implications. Worse, an alarming number of the atheists who feign a serious dedication to science are actually terrible at it; do not seem to understand its finite scope, and regrettably cannot lecture on it. But of course, that shouldn't matter--nothing is as satisfying as a smug dismissal of your theistic opposition as a bunch of deluded dingbats. Its a nice zinger, and I am sure if you deploy that characterization often, in no time, you would rise within atheist ranks. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone--intolerance is a vice only when theists employ that against atheists. When atheists show intolerance for theists, it can only be because they are genuinely concerned about the theist's refusal to see the light.

Let the discussions rage on, then.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 8:57am On Oct 20, 2011
Ishilove:

Hmmm, don't agree with ya,dear one. I'm a "typical Christian" as you put it,but i'm also very liberal {some of my closest friends are atheists} 'cos I believe in "live and let live". However i base my belief in God on personal experience. The society we live in is a very religious one,so not having a religiön is regarded as abnormal. That's just the way things are.

Sweetim, I think we mean quite different things when we use the word typical. Its one of the limitations of language. Live and let live is the way to go as far as I am concerned. There's nothing wrong with seeking to understand differences between each other, as long as it is done with civility. While I was serving, we had a muslim Corper around with us. It was from him that I learnt that a lot of Muslims cannot read the Quran, they just recite what they learn. Not once did anybody mock him or treat him differently.
When I say that the typical christian is logic proof, I mean that you cannot expect them to see reason with you on issues of faith. The closest I have gotten is "I understand, even I have many questions about christianity, but if I dwell on them, I will get lost. I rather continue believing in God". That is an acknowledgment that there are many question marks hovering around the faith issue, but the typical christian does not want to address them and would push anyone who does away.
Again in my NYSC camp, there was a friend I had, who took it upon herself to save my soul. I patiently listened to her and at a point, she mentioned the virgin birth. When she had finished, rather than telling her I didnt believe in the virgin birth, I told her that the grail message interpretation was far superior to the christian interpretation. I was about to explain it to her and she covered her ears, saying, she didnt want to hear. That happens a lot.

The most vocal christians on this forum actually are bad representatives.
As far as christians go, you are definitely OK in my books kiss

@op. Its prolly best she broke up with you because marriage is about compatibility. U two were not. . .um. . .religiously (??) compatible as Mr Daviddylan has pointed out. You being an atheist,would you have wanted your children brought up in the Christian faith? Don't think so.
This type of christianity, I do not like but it is what it is. sad
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Enigma(m): 9:35am On Oct 20, 2011
1Godfather:

There was a time when one could reasonably discuss with an atheist on belief and non-belief and expect a polite but firm discussion. Ultimately, the theist may not succeed in getting the atheist to see his point of view, but the exchange would be as cordial as it was passionate. This is because, the atheist would be interested in showing why he is not fully persuaded to believe. Perhaps, if you run into a decent friend or acquaintance who is ideologically opposed to you on the God question, such a frank but civil discussion can truly occur.

[b]Alas these days, with the birth of this New Atheism, unsophisticated and full of sound and fury, it has become quite fashionable in atheist circles to deride, cajole, mock, insult and pollute theists and theism. This is what usually passes for intelligent debates with many of today's atheists--some haughty posturing borne out of a sincere atheistic belief that virtually all theists are silly and DELUSIONAL. It is no wonder that these discussions quickly devolve into a mud-slinging match because people cease engaging honestly and respectfully. Much heat expended but no light thrown on the issue before consideration. After one has tried a few times to discuss issues of great personal import with a person who seems more disposed to aggression, one inevitably tires of the whole affair. Perhaps, like some have suggested, there is really no point to these discussions. Atheists can gather together, as often as they are wont, listen to speeches (read sermons) delivered by their atheistic high priests, build up and exhort one another in their common God-disbelief, share an intimate fellowship of universal mockery or umbrage at some offensive actions from the faith arena, and disperse to their respective homes--ALL WITHOUT BOTHERING ABOUT THESE 'IGNORANT' THEISTS![/b]

But I think that would be too easy--for how else is an atheist going to satiate the inner hunger to rid theists of their meddlesome and 'ignorant' God-belief if they can't utilize sundry web fora, Youtube videos, billboards and citybuses to fulminate on the ills of religion? I mean, how dare anyone hate on atheists anyway? Aren't they the hallowed few who managed to see through the puerile sunday-school caricature of Christian orthodoxy they were unfortunately given to when they were much younger? Aren't they the uber-logical geniuses against whom every contrary opinion must be the product of some delusion and faulty reasoning? Why should the largely 'ignorant' mass of humanity squirm upon being upbraided by the ever-so-gracious but nonetheless 'completely rational' and 'supremely intelligent' atheist? Shouldn't they consider the atheist's sophomoric diatribe against theism, or his endless bellyaching over the ills committed by religious people, an act of charity? Oh well, I don't know about you--but in the interest of peace, and to massage the egos of newly-minted atheists, who are eager to jump into a debate to vomit the latest things he has picked up in college, perhaps it is better to just sit still and allow an atheist to lecture for all he is worth.

Sadly, I have noticed that too many atheists are rather diffident about honestly sharing what they truly believe; you know, about constructing a positive worldview and philosophy that is completely devoid of God and its implications. Worse, an alarming number of the atheists who feign a serious dedication to science are actually terrible at it; do not seem to understand its finite scope, and regrettably cannot lecture on it. But of course, that shouldn't matter--nothing is as satisfying as a smug dismissal of your theistic opposition as a bunch of deluded dingbats. Its a nice zinger, and I am sure if you deploy that characterization often, in no time, you would rise within atheist ranks. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone--intolerance is a vice only when theists employ that against atheists. When atheists show intolerance for theists, it can only be because they are genuinely concerned about the theist's refusal to see the light.

Let the discussions rage on, then.

Very very well put! (PS I have taken the liberty to highlight a few parts.) smiley
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 10:11am On Oct 20, 2011
1Godfather:

Not exactly true I'm afraid. Maybe you arent the rabid foaming at the mouth God-defending type, but trust me many are. You wouldnt know because you believe in God. Try pretending to be an atheist for a week and see the type of reactions you will get. Maybe you will understand then. What you wrote above is what should be and not what is.
The arrogance of many christians is sickening to say the least.

Alas these days, with the birth of this New Atheism, unsophisticated and full of sound and fury, it has become quite fashionable in atheist circles to deride, cajole, mock, insult and pollute theists and theism. This is what usually passes for intelligent debates with many of today's atheists--some haughty posturing borne out of a sincere atheistic belief that virtually all theists are silly and DELUSIONAL. It is no wonder that these discussions quickly devolve into a mud-slinging match because people cease engaging honestly and respectfully. Much heat expended but no light thrown on the issue before consideration. After one has tried a few times to discuss issues of great personal import with a person who seems more disposed to aggression, one inevitably tires of the whole affair. Perhaps, like some have suggested, there is really no point to these discussions. Atheists can gather together, as often as they are wont, listen to speeches (read sermons) delivered by their atheistic high priests, build up and exhort one another in their common God-disbelief, share an intimate fellowship of universal mockery or umbrage at some offensive actions from the faith arena, and disperse to their respective homes--ALL WITHOUT BOTHERING ABOUT THESE 'IGNORANT' THEISTS!
Atheism is a broad term covering people without belief in God (as he is worshiped and defined by man). It is wrong to lump all atheists together just as you cannot lump all theists together. The only common factor is a lack of belief or a belief (respectively) in a deity. Not all atheists share the same ideals. I personally do not hold all theists to be silly and delusional and Im sure few atheists do. When the debate becomes heated and personal, a lot of ad hominems fly in. That is unfortunate and goes for both sides.
One notorious theist on this forum has suggested that atheists are like mosquitoes and can be killed as such without consequence. I dont recall an atheist saying anything quote as vile (I'm not suggesting that all atheists have been polite here, on the contrary they have traded a few good ones but nothing I can recall as dangerous)
It takes very little to get the insults flying.
You talk about mocking and cajoling theists, but I challenge you to pretend to be an atheist for a week and see what happens (not online please).

And here, you make a serious error. Sure there is a plethora of atheist literature these days both scientific and philosophical, but I hardly know of any atheist who was convinced by these means. Take you for example, you might have read a few of these literature but you arent convinced. This is because the road to atheism is often a long and gradual one. It starts from questioning that which has been taken for granted, from being brave enough to toss your indoctrination aside and critically think through things. Consider that a lot of atheists came from theist backgrounds.
Personally, I never needed any literature to become an atheist, I only came across these things much later on. I do not need to know the origin of life to be an atheist. I propose evolution as a far more plausible theory than the creation story. This does not mean I believe in evolution; I just hold it to be more credible. Therefore, I might pick up a book on evolution to understand it better.
Anyone who says the theory of evolution made him an atheist most likely had serious doubts about his religion but was only looking for better proof before he dumped religion. The point has been made that many christians accept the theory of evolution. The difference is that they blend it in to fit the creation story.
A religious person who sees iron proof of science contradicting the bible will tend to reinforce his faith with that very proof and blend it in.
The only thing needed to be an atheist (as far as the christian God is concerned) is the bible. As Isaac Asimov said, "properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived". We have so many theists here that have read atheist literature and they are not moved simply because they hold on tenaciously to their faith. They will never be moved by literature or youtube videos. It starts from the self, from an inner search, from a desire to ask oneself the question "what if what I was taught was wrong" or "if this is so, why doesnt this follow" or "would I believe this if I was born to another faith" etc
Your assumption is wrong. Just because people quote from books is not proof that those books made them atheists. In much the same way, christians quote from other christian authorities or sources.
I think (I may be wrong) that most atheist debates are against the christian god, not Allah or any other god. If that is correct, you need to ask your self the reason for that. I personally hold that it is the arrogance of the christian. No muslim has ever come to preach to me neither has any member of any other religion. Its always christians which is fine if they will simply stop when I tell them that I am not interested. They never do in my experience. They always want to win and save your soul. It gets annoying.
Here is another challenge for you, next time anyone (even Jehovah's witnesses) meets you to preach with you, tell them you arent interested or that you dont believe in God (dont tell them you are a muslim or a pagan) and watch what happens. Maybe you will begin to understand the dynamics of this thing after that.

We dont need God to be good. That is one thing that is surprisingly difficult for many theists to see. As for the science you mention, I have to point out to you that an alarming number of the theist scientists suffer from this flaw as well.
I think your write up has been largely one sided but it does contain some truths here and there. Try the challenges I gave you. You might be surprised.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 20, 2011
[size=15pt]Haha! Maybe you should try a middle ground like being a skeptic. That's if you want to avoid any more trouble. [/size] grin works for me.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by mazaje(m): 11:08am On Oct 20, 2011
1Godfather:

When was that time?. . . .Try to be an atheist for a week in Nigeria and come and tell us how it went. . . .The rest of your epistle is just ridiculous. . . .
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by eghost247(m): 11:32am On Oct 20, 2011
where is claremont would like to hear his view on this
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Progreen: 11:32am On Oct 20, 2011
There is much trouble for you, untill declare for God or satan.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by blackpanda: 11:34am On Oct 20, 2011
Its an African thing, we are largely bigots and homophobic. We hate to think outside the box, rather stick to that which we already know. There is a burning desire by most Africans to "conform" to accepted standards of what they define as "good morals". Africans are largely afraid of change, we see it in our leaders, in academic institutions, in the practice of our respective religions etc!
It may be because we operate on a closely-knit community, and therefore there is this huge fear of being "cast out" for being "different".

Religion thrives in Africa largely because we are afraid of asking questions. Of challenging what we have been taught as "true" and "good" as against what is "logical". Therefore atheism or other forms of religion are usually frown upon for being different.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by karpenter: 11:51am On Oct 20, 2011
Useless discussion.
If you want to be an atheist or otherwise, that's your business. Why must such an evidently personal preference be subject of open ponder?
Both atheists and theists adopt similar approach, which is, vehemently affirming their viewpoints. I don’t see any difference even on this thread.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Succy4luv: 11:52am On Oct 20, 2011
This is a question 4 the atheists, If u dont believe in God or any diety, wat then do u believe in? Pls i need a better clarification of what atheists believe in. Thanks

Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jpworld(m): 12:01pm On Oct 20, 2011
Money rules, If u r rich people will listen to u, religion influence a lot of people because they have the money,
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by blackpanda: 12:09pm On Oct 20, 2011
Succy4luv:

This is a question 4 the atheists, If u dont believe in God or any diety, wat then do u believe in? Pls i need a better clarification of what atheists believe in. Thanks

I am not an atheist but i guess they believe in Nature, and in the physical things we can see and not in any supernatural or extraterrestial being.

Agnostics on the other hand believe in God, but just not in any religion. i.e we believe that the idea of God can simply not be explained by any single institution. It is a continous learning process, and one must continually be open minded to the endless possiblities and uncertainties of the "ifs"
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by sulti: 12:19pm On Oct 20, 2011
let me laugh to at the atheist  believes, the atheist is as much as scared as the believer cuz he tries to explain what he does not understand in logical terms and what he cannot explain through logic he is at lost and here you see the same atheist using metaphysical terms like i don't know,i can't really say for sure,let me ask the atheist,is it everything you can explain through logic? for instance can one explain the necessary course of effects.Ah one talked about science ahh science with all its defects hahahahahahahahah today a particular malaria drugs is working, tomorrow it ain't effective anymore,hahahahahaahahahh again what would science also say of Law relativity ah science talks about consistency Einstein proved otherwise funny hahahahahahah. You remember one can be logical if the given premises is correct,or the premise can be correct but the perception viewed it incorrectly,for instance a mirage on the highway can be mistaken for a pool of water,hahahahahahahahahaha let me ask this THAT THE SUN ROSE TODAY IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL RISE TOMORROW,remember logic depends richly on PERCEPTION what if the instrument of perception is faulty maybe bad sight,mental madness after all a madman cannot know that he is mad for if he knows that he is mad then he is not really mad won't you agree that, What is my message to the atheist,wait a minute the Atheist tells us they don't believe in religion isn't it ok folks lets define religion,religion is a set of laid down beliefs,accompanied by a set down mode of conduct along side beliefs either either on deities above or on earth. What does this tell you,the so called Atheist belives in something a way of life a type of conduct hahahhahahah they believe that no deity exists hahahahah hahahahh so you see we Humans are funny thanks to the wisdom of man,religion most times teaches faith,love,peace life after death,atheism teaches the same but uses different terms to codify these attributes hhhhhHhhshahahahahah well believe whatever you most if it satisfies you
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 12:22pm On Oct 20, 2011
Succy4luv:

This is a question 4 the atheists,  If u dont believe in God or any diety, wat then do u believe in? Pls i need a better clarification of what atheists believe in. Thanks
An atheist does not believe in anything. Must someone believe in something (pertaining to the existence of the supernatural) ?
blackpanda:

I am not an atheist but i guess they believe in Nature, and in the physical things we can see and not in any supernatural or extraterrestial being.

Agnostics on the other hand believe in God, but just not in any religion. i.e we believe that the idea of God can simply not be explained by any single institution. It is a continous learning process, and one must continually be open minded to the endless possiblities and uncertainties of the "ifs"
Wrong guess. Atheism is not the belief in nature. An agnostic is actually an atheist. They do not believe in God either. What you defined is closer to Deism than any other thing.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by blackpanda: 12:32pm On Oct 20, 2011
jayriginal:

An atheist does not believe in anything. Must someone believe in something (pertaining to the existence of the supernatural) ?Wrong guess. Atheism is not the belief in nature. An agnostic is actually an atheist. They do not believe in God either. What you defined is closer to Deism than any other thing.

They are certainly not the same thing, pls read
Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1][2][3] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the difference between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief. In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves there is a God, whereas an atheist disbelieves there is a God.[3] In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify knowledge whether God exists or does not. Within agnosticism there are agnostic atheists (who do not believe any deity exists, but do not deny it as a possibility) and agnostic theists (who believe a God exists but do not claim to know that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^ blackpanda
Does an agnostic believe in God ? Its a simple answer, yes or no. Saying he has no evidence or is uncertain whether god exists or not is not an answer. Without certainty or evidence, can the agnostic be said to have a belief in God ?

You can also think about it this way
Mr A: "Do you believe in God ?"
Mr B; "I am not sure whether God exists or not"
Mr A; "That means you dont believe in God".

Lets not try to complicate things here.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by jayriginal: 1:06pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^ blackpanda, sequel to the above, when I say an agnostic is an atheist, I simply say so in the context of both of them lacking a belief in a deity.
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by Revolva(m): 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2011
Well I dont know why Many Africans are brain washed by religion, Religion is just an activity, and every one has opinion on why he or she does not what to follow religion with all the heart,

As for me i was born a christian, i believe it was forced to our ancestors by the white man, but they used it to wash us, especially we blacks, take for instance why has African not been able to develop, it is because we are too soaked up in it and forgotten our core values as Black people,

Even the religion  white man that used it to wash us  , they them selves dont follow it because they know how it was started with what i can call JIGBITI, its not as holy as you think it is, from how the Bible was adulterated , the killings and all sort of occultist orders.

So i dont know why we Africans wont wake up, I respect India and Asians for not allowing these influences to take over them if not they would be blind like us,

Look i dont go to church but i Heaven knows i am as nice as Hell,

i have seen many so called Muslim and Christian, that are  very wicked and i believe they are due to Ignorance which is a SIN , Knowledge is power,
Re: Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? by finishing(f): 1:22pm On Oct 20, 2011
My faith, is much more than religion,it is a way of life.I am sorry if the many Christians around have painted faith in God otherwise.If i suddenly wake and find all is not true,if i suddenly wake up and find all is just a lie,I would still believe in God because i have known,i have tasted Him.He is real to me.Not a fantasy,not a set of rules,doctrine.He lives!Jesus lives.I believe,i know it,i have handled it!yeah .God is real,his very presence is seen in ALL.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

“I Am Sleeping With My Boss!” – KICC Bishop Bismark / Why I Stopped Going To Church / Ugandan Pastor Uses Lady As Practical While Education Sex To Church Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.