Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:48 AM

Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (6375 Views)

7 Types Of People In RELIGION SECTION / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 20, 2011
Personally, I wouldn't go to an atheist forum to "push" my beliefs on anyone. I think that's what some of us don't understand. Why visit a forum about belief systems, when you don't believe in religion? Of course that's your right, but I for one, don't understand it.

We did have one poster a while back who admitted to being on here just to plant seeds of disbelief in others. There are also many wonderful posters here who discuss faith/religion intelligently and politely.

But why come on here or any other religion forum if you are just bashing and do not believe in GOD.

Why not ask the unbiased ( grin ) moderators to provide you with your own section.

I can recommend some titles for your section, god haters pad or sect for non-believers etc .

Comments from the sensible ONLY will be much appreciated.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by vb0mb(m): 9:24am On Oct 20, 2011
Good question.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:29am On Oct 20, 2011
@OP. I think it is becoming worrisome that Religious folks will dedicate so much energy discussing atheism and its qualities in the most purile manner. I thought the scriptural injunction and foremost on the minds of religious christian folks is spreading the message of Salvation, Love and Brotherhood. Letting their light so shine before men that they may see their good works and glorify God. Religious folks do not honor God by engaging is so much idle banter that it has now become a breakfast item for christians on NL. I think it has become a psychotic behavior that implies a much deeper underlying problem - ADDICTION to ATHEISM.

For Religious folks who feel the obligation to free Atheists from their debauched state,  please seek medical and psychological attention in earnest before it develops into a Cult problem
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by tessyade: 9:30am On Oct 20, 2011
@frosbel, i so much love this. You have made my day. Have had this question in mind a while.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 20, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

@OP. I think it is becoming worrisome that Religious folks will dedicate so much energy discussing atheism and its qualities in the most purile manner. I thought the scriptural injunction and foremost on the minds of religious christian folks is spreading the message of Salvation, Love and Brotherhood. Letting their light so shine before men that they may see their good works and glorify God. Religious folks do not honor God by engaging is so much idle banter that it has now become a breakfast item for christians on NL. I think it has become a psychotic behavior that implies a much deeper underlying problem - ADDICTION to ATHEISM.

For Religious folks who feel the obligation to free Atheists from their debauched state,  please seek medical and psychological attention in earnest before it develops into a Cult problem

With all this grammar , question remains unanswered , next please .
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2011
frosbel:

With all this grammar , question remains unanswered , next please .
Typical  Retort from (arguably) the most Religious rock on NL  smiley nuttin do you  grin. I think Non-theists need a target to vent their ideals and who better than Religious Christian Folks. Put Non-theists in a single room and they'll sooner die of boredom than enlightenment  grin but you knew that already didn't you
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Enigma(m): 9:43am On Oct 20, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

I would say this is a rather simplistic approach. Interestingly it is also an approach that suggests for Christians a form of rigidity --- whereas rigidity is one of the things the evangelical* atheists and anti-Christians criticise Christianity for. Yes, Christianity requires its followers to be gentle as doves ---- but it also requires its followers to be wise as serpents. Is it possible that occasionally exposing the atheists and other anti-Christians for what they are (largely ignorant and usually dishonest) is part of being wise as a serpent? Do you think a Christian cannot be led by the Spirit to challenge and expose the falsehoods of the liars?

cool

*Of course it is the evangelical atheists --- as opposed to "passive" atheists for example.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:59am On Oct 20, 2011
Enigma:

I would say this is a rather simplistic approach. Interestingly it is also an approach that suggests for Christians a form of rigidity --- whereas rigidity is one of the things the atheists and anti-Christians criticise Christianity for. Yes, Christianity requires its followers to be gentle as doves ---- but it also requires its followers to be wise as serpents. Is it possible that occasionally exposing the atheists and other anti-Christians for what they are (largely ignorant and usually dishonest) is part of being wise as a serpent? Do you think a Christian cannot be led by the Spirit to challenge and expose the falsehoods of the liars?

cool

Expose Falsehood by all means, it leaves for clarity in understanding the truth. I just think IMHO that there is a Scriptural obligation to deliver the message of salvation (as a matter of urgency) than engage in arguments that (so far) has caused more doubt in potential Christians than FAITH. It has become a common trend that you cannot Win an argument (thus cause enlightenment) when both parties have no common ground or point of reference. Religious FAITH and Scientific LOGIC (or stupidity as argued by most) do not blend well.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Enigma(m): 10:11am On Oct 20, 2011
^^^ Thus you will notice that many of us don't bother to debate the atheists in general; even those who get dragged into a debate or who indulge soon find out that the evangelical atheists are NOT really interested in a genuine or legitimate debate. What they very much hope to do is to sow the doubt that you refer to through various underhand and even patently dishonest methods.

Hence it is perfectly fine even without engaging them in debate to at least occasionally expose how contemptible the evangelical atheists and their techniques are. Do you not see them on "Christian-only" threads? On "Praise-only" threads; on "testimony-only" threads? Who is "debating" them there? Yet they go there with their odious excreta?

cool
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 10:17am On Oct 20, 2011
Enigma:

^^^ Thus you will notice that many of us don't bother to debate the atheists in generally; even those who get dragged into a debate or who indulge soon find out that the evangelical atheists are NOT really interested in a genuine or legitimate debate. What they very much hope to do is to sow the doubt that you refer to through various underhand and even patently dishonest methods.

I have recent experience of this type of subterfuge - the motive is clearly not to debate in the least, but to attack one's fundamental beliefs. If this was the overt intention of the debate it would be acceptable, but not to feign interest in a debate with ulterior motives.

I have to say that the atheist eventually left frustrated as I saw through the charade.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Enigma(m): 10:22am On Oct 20, 2011
^^^ I was following debosky --- I was following and I'm sure many people were.

In any event, I have had that exact experience with the particular poster concerned and I have also recently realised that a number of other people have had a similar experience with him in particular and with a few others among the evangelical atheists.

cool
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 20, 2011
^^ as u followed the discussion so did i.

I have said it, most of these guys gets into a debate with the preconceived, stereotyped and biased mind they already have about everything that concerns the God subject
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by mazaje(m): 11:09am On Oct 20, 2011
toba:

^^ as u followed the discussion so did i.

I have said it, most of these guys gets into a debate with the preconceived, stereotyped and biased mind they already have about everything that concerns the God subject

And you come into such discussions with an open mind eh?. . . .Interesting. . .
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by mazaje(m): 11:14am On Oct 20, 2011
frosbel:

Personally, I wouldn't go to an atheist forum to "push" my beliefs on anyone. I think that's what some of us don't understand. Why visit a forum about belief systems, when you don't believe in religion? Of course that's your right, but I for one, don't understand it.

But you can go to a muslim forum, a catholic forum and push your beliefs eh? After all you have stated that muslims , catholics and atheist all have the same father satan, no?. . . . .

We did have one poster a while back who admitted to being on here just to plant seeds of disbelief in others. There are also many wonderful posters here who discuss faith/religion intelligently and politely.

So what? after all you are always planting the seed of disbelief on the muslims, catholics etc, what makes your own belief better than theirs apart from your childhood indoctrination?. . .

But why come on here or any other religion forum if you are just bashing and do not believe in GOD.

Why bash Allah some thing you are fond of doing when you believe he doesn't exist?. . . .

Why not ask the unbiased (  grin ) moderators to provide you with your own section.

I can recommend some titles for your section, god haters pad or sect for non-believers etc .

Go create your own website and stop crying. . . .

grin grin. . . .Sensible people indeed. . .
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2011
Im not an island in terms of Knowledge. Im open to new ideas provided its reasonable
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 20, 2011
mazaje:

grin grin. . . .Sensible people indeed. . .

Why did you even bother. The genius had another toic exactly like this less than 48 hrs ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-784814.0.html
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by mazaje(m): 11:21am On Oct 20, 2011
toba:

Im not an island in terms of Knowledge. Im open to new ideas provided its reasonable

Your comments on the religion sections says other wise. . . .
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 20, 2011
Question remains unanswered by these trolls.

Why come here if you do not believe in Religion.

Simple question, waiting for an answer !!!

The previous article was different if I may say Martin ( super troll  grin  ) , that particular topic had to do with atheist trolls defacing specifically christian articles that had nothing at all to do with evolution, atheism or general godless foolishness.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:37am On Oct 20, 2011
If we can all look at the title of this post with an open mind  wink I suspect the OP is hiding his hand and waiting for other players to fold. "Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ?". It would seem a benign question- It is actually a cancerous trap that if atheists try to answer the way the OP expects you to, then he shows you his hand. the same behavior atheists are accused of mostly  grin

Religion (IMHO) is not the sole reason for non-theists being on a Religion Section. Religion is just the (preconceived) umbrella under which other topics such as Origins of Man, of Angels and Spirits, of Superstitions, of the Universe, the Devil, Biology etcetera etcetera . All the listed topics can also be seen as social, philosophical and pseudo-scientific and scientific views not just religious. Naturally when a thread that challenges "common" perceptions, hypothesis, facts and theories sprouts on the religious section, you will find non-theists (pagans, atheists, muslims, traditionalists etc) there to Ridicule or expose it, Inquire or Propose other angles or simply just try to derail it for the fun of it. It is a public forum after-all. It is meant for all classes of intellectuals and degenerates alike.

As i implied earlier, without "Believers" non-theism will simply not be fashionable. It has always been this way before the coming of Christ. besides the Vatican, i doubt any society (even Muslim ones) are as isolationist and separatist as you are suggesting. but that is just my mustard-seed thoughts
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 11:58am On Oct 20, 2011
What exactly is the cancerous trap here?
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:26pm On Oct 20, 2011
debosky:

What exactly is the cancerous trap here?

Once an atheists tries to explain the reason he/she is here, you'll find that the the line "Since They do not Believe in Religion" a self-inflicting injury to any further comments he/she has to say grin The truth is OP has put hot meat in the mouth of an old man and expects him to talk intelligibly. haba grin grin

Why not ask the question "Why Do Atheists Come to Religion Section?". I am sure the OP would have received the answers he is expecting wink. at least the atheists will either answer or simply pass this thread. by making it a question of beliefs and non-beliefs, he has set the momentum for atrocious arguments common in theist vs. atheist threads on this forum.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 12:28pm On Oct 20, 2011
I disagree - people visiting a religion forum presupposes some interest in religion - if you don't believe in religion in the first place, it is a bit odd to find atheists spending so much time there.

It's like finding a straight guy always visiting homosexual bars. . . .he is either not being honest with himself or he has some ulterior motive. grin
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:06pm On Oct 20, 2011
debosky:

I disagree - people visiting a religion forum presupposes some interest in religion - if you don't believe in religion in the first place, it is a bit odd to find atheists spending so much time there.

It's like finding a straight guy always visiting Same-sex bars. . . .he is either not being honest with himself or he has some ulterior motive. grin

I disagree only as far as same sex bars go grin I speak for myself when I say I am not Religious but have interests in Religion (does that make me a believer)- same as a Christian cannot discount science simply because he has Faith. (Religious Christians can though.)
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 1:24pm On Oct 20, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

I disagree only as far as same sex bars go grin I speak for myself when I say I am not Religious but have interests in Religion (does that make me a believer)- same as a Christian cannot discount science simply because he has Faith. (Religious Christians can though.)

What is this 'interest' in religion? Is it an interest to prove it is all a sham for example or just an interest to learn about what they think?
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by thehomer: 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2011
frosbel:

Why not ask the unbiased (  grin ) moderators to provide you with your own section.

Why not come to this section? Where do you expect them to go? Often times when I get such questions, I get the feeling of fear that has taken over the religious people. And it has grown with the growth of the Internet.
Non-believers post here telling you why they don't believe and why you shouldn't hold such absurd beliefs either if that bothers you, turn off your computer and watch religious programs all day or simply avoid visiting open forums because you're sure to find many of them there.
Another thing I wonder is why you Christians are so scared of plain speaking and direct questions. You're supposed to defend your beliefs instead you too like the Muslims desire an echo chamber. You're not likely to get that on an open forum.

So, welcome to the internet where religions come to die.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by thehomer: 1:52pm On Oct 20, 2011
debosky:

I have recent experience of this type of subterfuge - the motive is clearly not to debate in the least, but to attack one's fundamental beliefs. If this was the overt intention of the debate it would be acceptable, but not to feign interest in a debate with ulterior motives.

I have to say that the atheist eventually left frustrated as I saw through the charade.

No, I left because you couldn't tell fact from fiction.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by Enigma(m): 1:54pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^ The {modern} evangelical atheist, and this is true certainly of those on this forum, is not interested in an honest discussion to try and understand other people's perspectives or to make any worthwhile intellectual input. In these environments s/he is usually an ignorant and at the same time dishonest troll.

And remember: Trolls are pinheads.

cool
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2011
debosky:

What is this 'interest' in religion? Is it an interest to prove it is all a sham for example or just an interest to learn about what they think?

Neither. I do not feel the need to or have the zeal to preach or evangelize or prove holy men as shambolic liars. I do not also care for what they think (to each his own). It is apparent that Spirituality and Non-Spirituality is a niggling phenomenon to both the Science and Religious community, try as much neither has all the answers though one group claims it does with all certainty; which is why we are here aren't we? to try to fill in the gaps in understanding, correct the misconceptions and hopefully leave this beer-pa-lour in a more heightened state of awareness than we did before we sat down.

The truth is one should have an idea or have un-distilled facts regarding Spirituality - I prefer this term (spirituality) to religion which connotes ceremonies, dogma and mostly trado-societal misconceptions of true spirituality that in recent times have been responsible for dire states of moral despondency in religious leaders and religious Nigerians of today. It is clear that many religions draw similarities in precepts but always deny the glaringly obvious. the important thing is to learn about ourselves as individuals and how we contribute to the benefit of others by living an exemplary life devoid of Hate, Greed, Selfishness, Ignorance, Intolerance, Violence and Death. Evidently gods of various religion rank LOVE for man and humanity highest. The only way understand this mystery is by studying the Holy books. Thankfully most men are born with the cynicism gene. we can tell a fat lie from a veiled truth. (Scriptural Error and Scriptural Truth) and @frosbel more than most understand this. grin I am in it simply because I do not wish to be lied to about life - after all we only live once.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2011
thehomer:

No, I left because you couldn't tell fact from fiction.

You left because one of your cornerstones (plants coming before the sun) was blown to smithereens by the existence of light before plants according to Genesis.

You also left because you suffer from self induced attention deficit disorder - constantly moving away from the subject of discourse in order to pursue a hidden agenda.

Till now you have been unable to tell me what 'fact' I was unable to tell from 'fiction'. I don't expect to ever get an answer because your intent was never to discuss the origin of man. In fact you were far more interested in discussing the origin of computers and the space station. grin
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by debosky(m): 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Neither. I do not feel the need to or have the zeal to preach or evangelize or prove holy men as shambolic liars. I do not also care for what they think (to each his own). It is apparent that Spirituality and Non-Spirituality is a niggling phenomenon to both the Science and Religious community, try as much neither has all the answers though one group claims it does with all certainty; which is why we are here aren't we? to try to fill in the gaps in understanding, correct the misconceptions and hopefully leave this beer-pa-lour in a more heightened state of awareness than we did before we sat down.

So you seek a heightened state of awareness from the religion section? No issues with that.

The truth is one should have an idea or have un-distilled facts regarding Spirituality - I prefer this term (spirituality) to religion which connotes ceremonies, dogma and mostly trado-societal misconceptions of true spirituality that in recent times have been responsible for dire states of moral despondency in religious leaders and religious

If you already regard something as a misconception, how can you have ‘un-distilled facts’? Is the conclusion of misconception not the product of a distillation process of some sort?
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by JeSoul(f): 2:45pm On Oct 20, 2011
I'm not quite sure why Lagerwhenindoubt is here . . . he most certainly does NOT fall into this category  kiss carry your pro bono work where it is deserved jare  grin
Enigma:

Hence it is perfectly fine even without engaging them in debate to at least occasionally expose how contemptible the evangelical atheists and their techniques are. Do you not see them on "Christian-only" threads? On "Praise-only" threads; on "testimony-only" threads? Who is "debating" them there? Yet they go there with their odious excreta?
cool
For the most part, this is the only thing that annoys me about our atheist friends in this section. But to be honest, it is only very few of them that gate-crash christian-only topics. We all know who they are. Guys like Mazaje I have zero problem with and have never received any complaints about. The rest can really learn from him.
Re: Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:49pm On Oct 20, 2011
debosky:

So you seek a heightened state of awareness from the religion section? No issues with that.

If you already regard something as a misconception, how can you have ‘un-distilled facts’? Is the conclusion of misconception not the product of a distillation process of some sort?
Let me give you an example - I believe that the symbolic event of the curtain in the temple ripped in half after the resurrection means that the Holy Spirit or God's essence is freed upon humanity - no longer to be dished out piece-meal by anointed men of God, but to be accessed individually by everyone. some groups claim that you cannot ask for forgiveness from God by yourself but must do so through an intercessor who is as human as you and in some cases, less morally upstanding than you. (an ill-conceived misconception from not having all the facts). call me a doubting thomas. i must see to believe however it does not mean I do not keep an open mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ignore Everything I Have Been Saying All These Months. The Bottomline Is / Which Part Of Your Christian Life Do You Need To Improve This Year? / Do You Still Take Your Bible To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.