Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? (5996 Views)

Atheist, Why Embracing Buddhism And Not African Philosophy And Spirituality? / Here Is Why Buddhism Is One Of The Best religions / Where In Nigeria Can One Find Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, And Such. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by maninmood(m): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2011
• What is Buddhism?

Buddhism is a religion to about 300 million people around the world. The word comes from 'budhi', 'to awaken'. It has its origins about 2,500 years ago when Siddhartha Gotama, known as the Buddha, was himself awakened (enlightened) at the age of 35.

• Is Buddhism a Religion?

To many, Buddhism goes beyond religion and is more of a philosophy or 'way of life'. It is a philosophy because philosophy 'means love of wisdom' and the Buddhist path can be summed up as:

(1) to lead a moral life,
(2) to be mindful and aware of thoughts and actions, and
(3) to develop wisdom and understanding.

• How Can Buddhism Help Me?

Buddhism explains a purpose to life, it explains apparent injustice and inequality around the world, and it provides a code of practice or way of life that leads to true happiness.

• Why is Buddhism Becoming Popular?

Buddhism is becoming popular in western countries for a number of reasons, The first good reason is Buddhism has answers to many of the problems in modern materialistic societies. It also includes (for those who are interested) a deep understanding of the human mind (and natural therapies) which prominent psychologists around the world are now discovering to be both very advanced and effective.

• Who Was the Buddha?

Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

• Was the Buddha a God?

He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

• Do Buddhists Worship Idols?

Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

• Why are so Many Buddhist Countries Poor?

One of the Buddhist teachings is that wealth does not guarantee happiness and also wealth is impermanent. The people of every country suffer whether rich or poor, but those who understand Buddhist teachings can find true happiness.

• Are There Different Types of Buddhism?

There are many different types of Buddhism, because the emphasis changes from country to country due to customs and culture. What does not vary is the essence of the teaching — the Dhamma or truth.

• Are Other Religions Wrong?

Buddhism is also a belief system which is tolerant of all other beliefs or religions. Buddhism agrees with the moral teachings of other religions but Buddhism goes further by providing a long term purpose within our existence, through wisdom and true understanding. Real Buddhism is very tolerant and not concerned with labels like 'Christian', 'Moslem', 'Hindu' or 'Buddhist'; that is why there have never been any wars fought in the name of Buddhism. That is why Buddhists do not preach and try to convert, only explain if an explanation is sought.

• Is Buddhism Scientific?

Science is knowledge which can be made into a system, which depends upon seeing and testing facts and stating general natural laws. The core of Buddhism fit into this definition, because the Four Noble truths (see below) can be tested and proven by anyone in fact the Buddha himself asked his followers to test the teaching rather than accept his word as true. Buddhism depends more on understanding than faith.

• What did the Buddha Teach?

The Buddha taught many things, but the basic concepts in Buddhism can be summed up by the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path.

• What is the First Noble Truth?

The first truth is that life is suffering i.e., life includes pain, getting old, disease, and ultimately death. We also endure psychological suffering like loneliness frustration, fear, embarrassment, disappointment and anger. This is an irrefutable fact that cannot be denied. It is realistic rather than pessimistic because pessimism is expecting things to be bad. lnstead, Buddhism explains how suffering can be avoided and how we can be truly happy.

• What is the Second Noble Truth?

The second truth is that suffering is caused by craving and aversion. We will suffer if we expect other people to conform to our expectation, if we want others to like us, if we do not get something we want,etc. In other words, getting what you want does not guarantee happiness. Rather than constantly struggling to get what you want, try to modify your wanting. Wanting deprives us of contentment and happiness. A lifetime of wanting and craving and especially the craving to continue to exist, creates a powerful energy which causes the individual to be born. So craving leads to physical suffering because it causes us to be reborn.

• What is the Third Noble Truth?

The third truth is that suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained; that true happiness and contentment are possible. lf we give up useless craving and learn to live each day at a time (not dwelling in the past or the imagined future) then we can become happy and free. We then have more time and energy to help others. This is Nirvana.

• What is the Fourth Noble Truth?

The fourth truth is that the Noble 8-fold Path is the path which leads to the end of suffering.

• What is the Noble 8-Fold Path?

In summary, the Noble 8-fold Path is being moral (through what we say, do and our livelihood), focussing the mind on being fully aware of our thoughts and actions, and developing wisdom by understanding the Four Noble Truths and by developing compassion for others.

• What are the 5 Precepts?

The moral code within Buddhism is the precepts, of which the main five are: not to take the life of anything living, not to take anything not freely given, to abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence, to refrain from untrue speech, and to avoid intoxication, that is, losing mindfulness.

• What is Karma?

Karma is the law that every cause has an effect, i.e., our actions have results. This simple law explains a number of things: inequality in the world, why some are born handicapped and some gifted, why some live only a short life. Karma underlines the importance of all individuals being responsible for their past and present actions. How can we test the karmic effect of our actions? The answer is summed up by looking at (1) the intention behind the action, (2) effects of the action on oneself, and (3) the effects on others.

• What is Wisdom?

Buddhism teaches that wisdom should be developed with compassion. At one extreme, you could be a goodhearted fool and at the other extreme, you could attain knowledge without any emotion. Buddhism uses the middle path to develop both. The highest wisdom is seeing that in reality, all phenomena are incomplete, impermanent and do no constitute a fixed entity. True wisdom is not simply believing what we are told but instead experiencing and understanding truth and reality. Wisdom requires an open, objective, unbigoted mind. The Buddhist path requires courage, patience, flexibility and intelligence.

• What is Compassion?

Compassion includes qualities of sharing, readiness to give comfort, sympathy, concern, caring. In Buddhism, we can really understand others, when we can really understand ourselves, through wisdom.

• How do I Become a Buddhist?

Buddhist teachings can be understood and tested by anyone. Buddhism teaches that the solutions to our problems are within ourselves not outside. The Buddha asked all his followers not to take his word as true, but rather to test the teachings for themselves. ln this way, each person decides for themselves and takes responsibility for their own actions and understanding. This makes Buddhism less of a fixed package of beliefs which is to be accepted in its entirety, and more of a teaching which each person learns and uses in their own way.

Prepared by Brian White 1993, with thanks to Ven S. Dhammika.

Why being an atheist if one can become a Buddhist. I just realise it teaches more than religion. What is your view people?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:56pm On Oct 20, 2011
Buddhism is thorough Pagan ideology. (not much of a religion though). its a way of life.

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 05, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Buddhism is thorough Pagan ideology. (not much of a religion though). its a way of life.

If you don't know what to say, why not press ignore button.

Buddhism is the best that could ever happen to the human race. Buddhism didn't talk about one supreme being, thereby raising questions whether it is atheistic in nature. Buddha talked about many several gods in charge of certain attributes, control of elements/nature. Buddha also its an individual that can find a way to spiritual upliftment and satisfaction. That is little i could say for now. Buddha never wished he is to be worshiped by his followers, he never even intended to form a group of followers to himself. He brought to mankind ways at which they can live happy and be pure in thoughts.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:17pm On Nov 05, 2011
enitan2002:

If you don't know what to say, why not press ignore button.

Buddhism is the best that could ever happen to the human race. Buddhism didn't talk about one supreme being, thereby raising questions whether it is atheistic in nature. Buddha talked about many several gods in charge of certain attributes, control of elements/nature. Buddha also its an individual that can find a way to spiritual upliftment and satisfaction. That is little i could say for now. Buddha never wished he is to be worshiped by his followers, he never even intended to form a group of followers to himself. He brought to mankind ways at which they can live happy and be pure in thoughts.

which is exactly what Pagainism is all about. ""However"", one must note that Buddhists also generally practise a side-indigineous/traditional religion along with Buddhism in order to completely satisfy their religious needs.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Kay17: 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2011
Its unique and at least materialistic. I think its far more advanced than Christianity and Islam, and manages focus on humans and their needs, rather than abstract entites. Also, promotes values that are beneficial to humanity, like tolerance and knowledge.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2011
Yeah. Picked up an interest in this while reading Steve Jobs. Ive also downloaded some books and to be honest, meditation actually works. And my flexibility has also improved in the past week,
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2011
I call myself an athiest(at least the an abrahamic athiest) but I wholeheartedly embrace the buddhist philosophy. I actually think that buddhism should not be seen as a religion. religion is all about worship, budhism is not.
I firmly believe that the core teachings of jesus are inherently buddhist(the surmons on the mount).Jesus must have been greatly influenced by Buddhism during his sojourns to the east.
Just imagine if our colonial masters had been buddhist and had brought buddhism to our land instead of christianity.

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2011
^^^

Without Christianity and the missionaries who brought it, you will still be living a life of savagery, always remember that .

You owe them for your education and enlightenment.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PastorAIO: 4:30pm On Nov 06, 2011
Frosbel, speak for yourself. Which part of nigeria do you come from that they were so savage that you prefer to be a slave?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2011
Pastor AIO:

Frosbel, speak for yourself. Which part of nigeria do you come from that they were so savage that you prefer to be a slave?
Thank you. frosbel is lost in the Diaspora. She doesn't like what she sees in the mirror. Dont worry frosbel, you may be reborn white in your next incarnation.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2011
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 5:39pm On Nov 06, 2011
Missionaries did many great things in Nigeria. No doubts.Today we have a million chruches in Nigeria existing just for the sole purpose of exploiting people.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by mazaje(m): 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2011
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2011
plaetton:

Missionaries did many great things in Nigeria. No doubts.Today we have a million chruches in Nigeria existing just for the sole purpose of exploiting people.

Now you are making sense.

We are on the same page here, I am totally against all this exploitation and the multiplication of these mushroom churches.

I have witnessed first hand how these churches start , a relative of mine asked the family to spare him a property to start a church , and yet this is a man I know so well, arrogant and greedy for money. There was no way his request would have been granted.

The Christianity of the early church was normally carried out in homes, going from house to house sharing bread and meals, prayer and fellowship. There were instances of church attendance somewhat, but these were held in synagogues and the main theme was preaching the gospel not exploiting the people.

In large part, it is because of these conmen that the way of truth is blasphemed , but this in no way suggests that the way of truth is the issue , the issue is with men , period !!

For Christ and a majority of these apostles to predict in the bible that this will be common place in the latter days, is enough proof in itself of their origin.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2011
After reading alot of Mazaje and Clemont's (Abi whats his username) posts I was confused and disturbed as to the existence of any supernatural being.
Can any Buddhist (if there's any here)
tell me more about Buddhism.
Thanks [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 06, 2011
^^^

Yeah go and worship Buddha, you do know he is holed up in a grave , right  undecided

[img]http://rattanaram.files./2011/01/buddha.jpg[/img]

Idol worship among pagans and atheists is not new , anything but Jesus.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Kay17: 8:55pm On Nov 06, 2011
And worshipping Jesus is okay?! Sad
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On Nov 06, 2011
frosbel:

^^^

Yeah go and worship Buddha, you do know he is holed up in a grave , right  undecided

[img]http://rattanaram.files./2011/01/buddha.jpg[/img]

Idol worship among pagans and atheists is not new , anything but Jesus.

But you some how believe in the myth of Jesus being resurrected, eh?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 06, 2011
^^^^

My friend ( If you permit me to call you so  grin ) Buddha is still holed up in a tomb, Jesus Christ is risen.

Jesus Christ does not add any complex ritual to knowing him and or worshipping him, simple repentance in faith , belief and acceptance of the gospel.

If you would rather shave your hair, wear long gowns and shout incantations on a daily basis among other rites, then suit yourself. cool
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by mazaje(m): 10:39pm On Nov 06, 2011
frosbel:

^^^^

My friend ( If you permit me to call you so  grin ) Buddha is still holed up in a tomb, Jesus Christ is risen.

Jesus christ is risen according to a story. . . .According to another story a man named mohammed ascended into heaven on the back of a white horse. . . .

Jesus Christ does not add any complex ritual to knowing him and or worshipping him, simple repentance in faith , belief and acceptance of the gospel.

The gospels where non of the writers have ever claimed to have known him or where together with him. no?

If you would rather shave your hair, wear long gowns and shout incantations on a daily basis among other rites, then suit yourself. cool

Do christians not wear special clothing and waste their time shouting meaningless incantations all in the name of speaking in tongues?. . . .

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Revolva(m): 11:34pm On Nov 06, 2011
@FROSBEL

You are confused dont you know that
The similarities of christianity and buddism are so striking that, even if no historical evidence existed, we can suspect that Jesus studied Buddhist teachings while growing up, think the bible did not tell you where jesus spend his growing up days from childhood til he was 30 something years old,

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Haribo: 12:49am On Nov 07, 2011
A couple of years ago I attended an event where the Dalai Lama spoke on the noble truths. I am not a Buddhist, but after that day I gained a lot of knowledge and respect for Buddhist teachings. At some point when I have more time I hope to do a little more studying on Buddhism. In my observation so far I noticed that Buddhism is capable of coexisting with the culture of the people that practice it, rather than obliterating and attempting to replace eons of tradition with imported ways. Very admirable.

@ OP I really enjoyed reading this in your initial post: "Buddhism teaches that the solutions to our problems are within ourselves not outside."

Nice thread. I'll keep checking in. Hopefully some good discussion comes out of this. For the Nigerian Buddhist(s) do you live in Naija? How have your family, friends, etc handled your 'alternative' beliefs? Would love to know,
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Joagbaje(m): 2:42am On Nov 07, 2011
Revolva:

we can suspect that Jesus studied Buddhist teachings while growing up, think the bible did not tell you where jesus spend his growing up days from childhood til he was 30 something years old,

That's a lie. The Jews will not engage in other religions, where did you get that from?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 07, 2011
Before this thread is derailed by the tag team of Joagbaje and Frosbel, I would like to make a few points.

1. Both of these guys agree Catholics worship Idols. In the same vein, this is what went wrong with some Buddhist. The Buddha, like the OP earlier pointed out, never called himself Lord or God.

2. Acts 17:16-31
While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.”(All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very RELIGIOUS. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are IGNORANT of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, HE himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would SEEK him and perhaps REACH out for him and FIND him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[a] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ 29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

It would be good to not that Paul wasn't against philosophy, or thinking, or using a brain. Infact, he commended them for being religious. He speaks clearly against the object of worship not the mode of worship.

To those interested in reading more on Buddhism (without in most part, the idol worship) I'd recommend Zen mind, beginner's mind, Also I'd recommend Frosbel and Joagabaje to read this book if they have the time. It's good to be aware of where people are coming from, in order to convince them to change paths. cheesy http://www.eons.com/uploads/3/6/36559937_Shunryu_Suzuki_-_Zen_mind__beginner_s_mind.pdf
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 5:58am On Nov 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

That's a lie. The Jews will not engage in other religions, where did you get that from?

This is laughable.
In your bible, there are countless instances where yahweh punished the jews for abandoning him to worship other gods like Baal, Ashoret, Lilith(the queen of heaven),Dogon, Tamuzi(from whence we get the "doubting Tamuzis and later anglicised to the "doubting Thomas).
You dont seem to read your bible.
remeber that during the time of jesus, palestine was filled with a mish mash of different religions and sects. Even amonst the jews, you had the samiritans, the pharisees, the saducees, the essenes(of which jesus and john the baptis were members), the zadokites and the zealots.
Not so?
Jesus definitely travelled eastward where he gained knowledge and enlightenment from the Brahmins of India and Buddhist masters.
From scripture, it is obvious that he returned to palestine to meet his people still in spiritual darkness and still making sacrifices to yahweh. He sought to change all that by trying to show them, in a language they could understand, the simple path to spiritual salvation.
The rest of thtat story you already know.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 07, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
7 gbosas for you,
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Revolva(m): 8:01am On Nov 07, 2011
This is laughable.
In your bible, there are countless instances where yahweh punished the jews for abandoning him to worship other gods like Baal, Ashoret, Lilith(the queen of heaven),Dogon, Tamuzi(from whence we get the "doubting Tamuzis and  later anglicised to the "doubting Thomas).
You dont seem to read your bible.
remeber that during the time of jesus, palestine was filled with a mish mash of different religions and sects. Even amonst the jews, you had the samiritans, the pharisees, the saducees, the essenes(of which jesus and john the baptis were members), the zadokites and the zealots.
Not so?
Jesus definitely travelled eastward where he gained knowledge and enlightenment from the Brahmins of India and Buddhist masters.
From scripture, it is obvious that he returned to palestine to meet his people still in spiritual darkness and still making sacrifices to yahweh. He sought to change all that by trying to show them, in a language they could understand, the simple path to spiritual salvation.
The rest of thtat story  you already know.
WELLSAID
THE AQUARIAN GOSPEL OF JESUS THE CHRIST
Another major source for the New Age Jesus is The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ, written by Civil War army chaplain Levi Dowling (1844-1911). The title page of this "gospel" bears the words: "Transcribed from the Book of God's Remembrances, known as the Akashic Records." (Occultists believe the physical earth is surrounded by an immense spiritual field known as "Akasha" in which is impressed every impulse of human thought, will, and emotion. It is therefore believed to constitute a complete record of human history.) Hence, unlike Notovitch whose conclusions were based on an alleged objective ancient document, Levi's book is based on an occult form of subjective (nonverifiable) illumination.

The bulk of Levi's gospel, first published in 1911, focuses on the education and travels of Jesus. After studying with Rabbi Hillel (a Jewish scholar), Jesus allegedly traveled to India where he spent years studying among the Brahmins and Buddhists.

Jesus supposedly became interested in studying in the East after Joseph (Jesus' father) hosted Prince Ravanna from India. During his visit, Ravanna asked "that he might be the patron of the child; might take him to the East where he could learn the wisdom of the Brahms. And Jesus longed to go that he might learn: and after many days his parents gave consent." So "Jesus was accepted as a pupil in the temple Jagannath; and here he learned the Vedas and the Manic laws."[23]

Jesus then visited the city of Benares of the Ganges. While there, "Jesus sought to learn the Hindu art of healing, and became the pupil of Udraka, greatest of the Hindu healers."[24] And Jesus "remained with Udraka until he had learned from him all there was to be learned of the Hindu art of healing."[25]

Levi proceeds to chronicle a visit to Tibet, where Jesus allegedly met Meng-ste, the greatest sage of the East: "And Jesus had access to all the sacred manuscripts, and, with the help of Meng-ste, read them all."[26]

Jesus eventually arrived in Egypt, and - in what must be considered a climax of this account of the "lost years" - he joined the "Sacred Brotherhood" at Heliopolis. While there, he passed through seven degrees of initiation - Sincerity, Justice, Faith, Philanthropy, Heroism, Love Divine, and THE CHRIST. The Aquarian Gospel records the bestowal of this highest degree: "The hierophant arose and said, upon your brow I place this diadem, and in the Great Lodge of the heavens and earth you are THE CHRIST. You are a neophyte no more; but God himself will speak, and will confirm your title and degree. And then a voice that shook the very temple said, THIS IS THE CHRIST; and every living creature said, AMEN."[27]

Later, following his three-year ministry as THE CHRIST and his subsequent death, Jesus' resurrection is described by Levi in terms of a "transmutation" which all men may accomplish. He made many appearances to people all over the world to substantiate this transmutation. For example, he appeared to the "Silent Brotherhood" in Greece and said: "What I can do all men can do. Go preach the gospel of the omnipotence of man."[28]
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PastorAIO: 8:13am On Nov 07, 2011
Interesting. From Aquarian gospel at one extreme to Jews never dealt with foreign religions at the other extreme.

I have serious doubts that there is any merit to the Aquarian gospel story. But I know for certain that Judaism was greatly influenced by foreign religions that they came into contact with. Most notable of all was the Parsee religion that they met in exile. Babylonian religion was a big influence too. But there is no more blatant influence than the Parsee religion of the Persians. The whole notion of a cosmic battle between Good and Evil culminating with a final judgement at the end of days is a totally Persian ideology. Check out Zoroastrianism.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 07, 2011
So PastorAIO, what is your stance? What do you think about Christianity and Buddhism? (Not confrontational in anyway. Im a Christian, but since moving to India, so many questions popped up that I just couldnt ignore and the cliches/answers given by the Nigerian form of christianity simply makes no sense)
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PastorAIO: 8:39am On Nov 07, 2011
@Muskeeto, My position is that the truth is the truth and that people have come to the realisations of life's deepest truths all over the world in various places at various times. Just because there are similarities in religions around the world doesn't necessarily mean that the cultures had to have come into contact with each other.
I every culture there is a word for the moon and there is poetry inspired by the moon. They don't have to have learnt it from each other. They would each have seen the moon for themselves and they would each have found the moon inspiring to poetry.

Check out these posts
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-335826.0.html#msg4712314

and,

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-335826.0.html#msg4713009

Check the whole thread out.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Joagbaje(m): 9:09am On Nov 07, 2011
plaetton:

This is laughable.
In your bible, there are countless instances where yahweh punished the jews for abandoning him to worship other gods like Baal, Ashoret, Lilith(the queen of heaven),Dogon,

So budhaism is worship of idols as well? It's good to know that. Now concerning what you wrote, it's only a backsliden Jew that went into idols. Not a prophet. Jesus was a prophet. And he came to restor the worship of God to the people.

Before budha died he said he was still looking for the way. But Jesus said he was the way.

John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Amujale(m): 9:42am On Nov 07, 2011
Buddhism is a philosophy encompassing a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices, largely based on teachings of Siddhartha Gautama,.

Siddharta Gautama was an Indian spiritual teacher said to have lived between 6-4 BCE and taught philosophical concepts like Karma, Rebirth, saṃsāra, Yoga e.t.c

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Refuse To Believe That Only 'Christians' Are Saved / The Beast (666) Is Here Already!!! / The 'Da Vinci Code' Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.