Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer (25262 Views)

#60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me / Self Employment: The Real Stomach Infrastructure / Would You Prefer A Male Or Female Boss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by ngozianu(m): 3:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
1, Where do you get capital to start your business?, Sell your BB instead of posing about with it, I started my BIz with only N35K 2yrs ago

2, Where do you get experience to manage your business? Or you think you can just graduate from school and run a business like that?, Get a mentor who is already in the business, leaders are ladders by which FOLLOWERS Climb to the top

3, Where do you get the network to sustain your business?, Facebook adverts,sms advert,your family,your friends,your church members

4, What do you fall back to if, just if, the business fails?, Bill Gates,Dangote,Steve Jobs,Michael Dell all had suffrered failures,but they came back, Get a mentor.A just Man falleth 7 times but God will resurrect him back

5, How many people will trust you - at least in the beginning - if they know you've not been tested somewhere else before?, Trust God and Your self,get more business books,seminars,symposiums etc

Questions, questions and more questions, Salary/Job as well as self employment is not a bed of roses

YOU PLAN WELL TO GROW BIG,YOU DON'T GROW BIG TO PLAN WELL

IT IS YOUR PLANNING ERROR THAT LEADS TO YOUR FINANCIAL HORROR

ONLY THOSE WITH THE LION HEART GET THE LION SHARE.

ONLY THE BOLD GET THE GOLD

SALARY WILL ALWAYS BE SLAVERY

J.O.B. Means JUST OBEYING BOSSES

P.O.O.R MEANS PASSING OVER OPPORTUNITIES REGULARLY,

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by sybabs1611(m): 1:33am On Dec 08, 2011
the only profession that will sustain you at the top when you get there is passion for what you do either self or paid employment.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by geepawps(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2011
@Jarus, if we decide to always ask all there questions I am so sure that most of us here will never get the answers. What it simply means is that we'll end up doing nothing.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 08, 2011
the funny thing is that most of these people shouting entrepreneur and be your own boss are ultimately doing little more than glorified trading - buying goods for n10 in china and selling them for n100 in nigeria

no real contribution to the economy or employment for that matter - just flooding nigeria with substandard goods.

all this noise about being your own boss is hilarious

there are several self employed vendors working as contractors for my employer who when we say 'jump' answer 'how high'?

people just swallow all those self help books which are written about a western environment and think they apply to nigeria

nigeria does not support entrepreneurs. this country can never produce a microsoft, an apple, a samsung.

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 08, 2011
oyb:

the funny thing is that most of these people shouting entrepreneur and be your own boss are ultimately doing little more than glorified trading - buying goods for n10 in china and selling them for n100 in nigeria

no real contribution to the economy or employment for that matter - just flooding nigeria with substandard goods.

there are several self employed vendors working as contractors for my employer who when we say 'jump' answer 'how high'?

people just swallow all those self help books which are written about a western environment and think they apply to nigeria

nigeria does not support entrepreneurs. this country can never produce a microsoft, an apple, a samsung.
+10
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by NdubuisiChief: 11:55am On Dec 08, 2011
everybody prefer been self employed but you must work for somebody and earn salary before settling on your own
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by seal777(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
[b]I started business while in school, so i have always had the passion for service and doing it my own way.

Started working for salary after my degree but will always stop by at one of our customers office to help him attend to customers, there by learning some rudiments of business and small scale trading cum customer service.

Due to my passion for business and interest i show in always stopping by after work to help him out, my friend encouraged me to start my own business which i accepted, i started the business with 55,000, spending almost 20k in renovating my mums shop to accommodate my business.

I bought my first land at ikorodu through the business within eight months, credit sales affected me for a while until i decided to write it off and forget about thinking of monies that might never come again.

I registered the business back in 2001 before i left for youth service and hand it over to my sister who was assisting me them while i was away. She did wonderfully well while i was away such that i had to leave the business off for her while i search for job due to lack of funds.

I got a job, work for some years, raised some money but i can tell with a fact that i was not happy staying in the office so i dust my registration certificate, re strategize and resigned despite the fact that i was offered an attractive salary to enable to stay.

I started the bizz and everyone that was not happy i resigned started telling me how dissapointed they were when i resigned because they felt i was doing well but happy i seem to be doing better with my new found passion.

Four months into the business, my savings trend was increasing at an astronomical rate while i enjoy every bit of time i spend doing it.

Over the time, my basic challenge has always been power because my business requires it to survive. Its not been funny this days since i have to run 24hrs on generator.

Running business is all about passion first before profit of the title of been the owner, i enjoy every bit of it despite the fact that its getting more challenging operating it on generator due to the erratic power supply.

All of us can not work for salary neither will all of us be business owners, Money or not, my advice is for people to follow their mind and stay glued to what makes them happy, That will be the much they will look back to at their old age if only they will do what they like, make money and also enjoy themselves in the process.

I am still very young but i know there will come a time when old  age will come and all that will be left is the memories  of the past.

God bless you all.

[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by cantell(m): 1:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
oyb:

Glorified trading you call it abi? What have you done? Have you in any way made an impact in the economy or do just you prefer to talk down on the little others do?
I can bet my last kobo, that you can't even manage that petty tradin if it was in your care.
Tell me, how many jobs in Nigeria can actually pay anyone a reasonable amount monthly?
Even when you're paid a reasonable amount, your social life is likely to be in jeopardy cos you'll be workin like a mad ox.
No one is gonna pay you to sit around. Workin under someone has its sweet benefits but. . .imo, self employment trumps working under someone anyday.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by betalife(m): 11:51am On Dec 16, 2011
I knew you all went to school in order to get white collar jobs, I am a graduate like you.I studied accountancy at Obafemi Awolowo University. I am now a successful small scale industrialist,fund manager and affiliate marketer. I want to ask you What do you understand by the word "civil servant"

do you know that it just making you a slave to the government,restricting yourself from liberty,denying yourself of so many things,

Brethren, I will not deceive you there is little or no jobs outside there. I will like you to decide to have your own business,

I would like to give response to this topic by referring you all to http://betalifefx..com

You will get more information as to making money online with no stress.

See you at the top.

To your Success

Anthony
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 16, 2011
cantell:

Glorified trading you call it abi? What have you done? Have you in any way made an impact in the economy or do just you prefer to talk down on the little others do?
I can bet my last kobo, that you can't even manage that petty tradin if it was in your care.
Tell me, how many jobs in Nigeria can actually pay anyone a reasonable amount monthly?
Even when you're paid a reasonable amount, your social life is likely to be in jeopardy cos you'll be workin like a mad ox.
No one is gonna pay you to sit around. Workin under someone has its sweet benefits but. . .imo, self employment trumps working under someone anyday.

yaawwwn
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by cantell(m): 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2011
oyb:

yaawwwn
See? Gateman work. Get some sleep jor!
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Sapphire86(f): 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
Self employment
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by emailguru: 4:39am On Dec 18, 2011
What we need is to look inward and discover what we can offer in exchange for money. Every individual has got four ideas within him. We only need to develop what we've got inside and it could be in the form of invention, improving on an existing product or service, or even doing something you love best. Just think,
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by geepawps(m): 11:31am On Jul 26, 2012
I will still insist on both.
Get a job.
Save some money.
After some months, start your business and still continue with your pay job.
Monitor the business daily, knowing your daily profit and sales.
Retire when you are ready and start working full time for yourself.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Stallion77(f): 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2012
Combine both and live large!
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by ngozianu(m): 9:39am On Sep 05, 2015
Stallion77:
Combine both and live large!

Okay Dangote, Otedola,Bill Gates, Coscharis,Elizade,Elumelu, Jim Ovia are combing both salary work and Business that is why they are living large

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by slizzytee: 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2019
A smart Citizen of Nigeria, who is well aware of the Country's high rate of unemployment will know that it's better to be self employed; than Job hunting without any success or little success with low salary scale.
Let's be sincere as Nigerians the rate of unemployment in the country is very high. In Dec 20, 2018 - According to the Nigeria bureau of Statistic, “Unemployment rate in Nigeria has been on the increase since the economic crisis in 2014". I don't know about you, but, I will rather start a small scale business and watch it grow, than go about job hunting without any guaranty I will find a job.
After I graduated from school, because I was well aware of the unemployment rate in Nigeria, I went into [url=https://infotips.com.ng/how-to-start-a-poultry-farm-make-over-%E2%82%A6600000-in-8-weeks/393/] Poultry farming [/url]. I started the business with Just ₦10,000 only. Within the space of 18 month my business is worth ₦300,000. I have built the pen house and I can comfortably raise 80 broilers every two month. I have other poultry birds like turkey, cockerel etc.
Actually, I am not here to boast about myself; Rather, I am here to tell you that the smartest thing to do in Nigeria now is to be self employed.
After establishing my poultry business, I went into mini Importation and now presently I'm also a site owner.
All I do is feed my birds daily, try to sell my imported products and write a blog post.
I prefer the job I do to any job because It is less stressful and success is guaranty with passion, self believe and God's help.
I know all of us cannot work for salary neither will all of us be business owners. There is no one that doesn't want to get financial security; so, the decisions you make about Salary or Self employment is what will give you that financial security.
Also, running business is all about passion, so, if you are not passionate about your business it is hard to succeed.
You can get useful business tips on my site. InfoTips Nigeria

Thanks
Anthony Stephen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15 Jobs You Can Do From Home / Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently / Olam Nigeria Graduate Sales Trainee Scheme 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.