Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,460 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa (13012 Views)

For Criticising Aregbesola, Thugs Attack Newspaper Readers At Newsstand / Policeman Kills Youth For Insisting On Sighting Election Result Sheet / I’ve Received Threats For Criticising Buhari — Sheik Gumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by kinguwem: 6:19pm On Oct 21, 2011
Curse shall be upon these police officers and their superior officers who sent them for the ungodly and deadly mission. Sorrow, pain, poverty and diseases shall follow them all the days of their lives.
For making somebody to be childless, they shall all bear the pains of the loss of a loved one.
Enough of these nonsense. Since protests have not solved these problems, we should all join our hands together and raise our voices to our heavenly father for help.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by reindeer: 6:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
The police are just a reflection of the rot in the entire country.
Keep voting for PDP and you have no right to complain.
Nobody gets brought to justice for anything.
Stoopid followers who keep ssupporting the people holding them hostage.
I weep not for Nigeria, i weep for the idiotas who mouth change but do otheriwse when the opportunity arises.
Too bad for the young man, another light put out by a system that eats it's young
shame, shame.I am so angry.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by andyanders: 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2011
I have said it that no Nigerian Policeman will see the door of heaven. The fear of any Nigerian policeman is the beginning of wisdom.
All the money given to any policeman is cursed by the givers and they carry curse.

If you have a brother, same blood, enters police force as a profession, run away from him/her because he must find a way to extort money from you either directly or indirectly. For killing a young man like this, their own children will become wayward.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by andyanders: 6:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
@kinguwem

Thank you for your comment and prayers. They are cursed here on earth and in heaven
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Iolo(m): 6:52pm On Oct 21, 2011
@Bluetooth,

Agreed. But just to inform the house the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria is supposed to provide free legal services to the masses (in theory sha).

A lawyer corper friend was posted there, and she and her principal were frequently in court to defend rape victims, armed robbery suspects and stuff. This was in the North and they collected like 10k to work on each case. So I believe if the woman is wise she can pursue such means and pray she gets a hefty payday. It's just unfortunate her son had to die and money can't bring him back.

legalaidcouncil.org.ng/
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
Okija_juju[/b]
You pick up a bunch of idi'ots, dont train them properly on the law they are suppose to be enforcing, give them heavy arms, underpay them and set them loose on Nigerians, what did we think would be the outcome?!

I remember one night when my dads car broke down a few k/m's from our house, and my dad came home and got myself and some other dude who was staying with us to come help push the car home. Half way home, a friend of his saw us pushing the car and decided to give us a tow home. just a few feet to our street, we ran into a checkpoint (this checkpoint has been there since forever and you would think they would have recognized us as residents in the neighbourhood). Thats how they stopped us at about 9:30 in the evening, and asked us for a tow-permit. Long story short, my mum who is a lawyer was pissed and trying to tell the officer that he was wrong and he just pulled up his rifle, aimed at her face (standing just a few meters from her) and had barely lifted the barrel just slightly above her head when two shots rang out. My dear!!  That was my lesson in life never to f'ucks with the police,  That check-point dis-banded immediately because after the shots rang out, the officer incharge ran up, took away the other officers fire arm and loaded him into their pick-up and they drove off.

[quote]The fear of Nigerian police is the beginning of wisdom,[/b]  just saying

@^^  Your post is very much on point but I cannot help reminding you and the rest of our country men that there is a distinct difference in  policing activities in the North of Nigeria and the hapless Southern part of the country sad.
Have you ever wondered about the absence of no reports of such wicked contemptuous behaviour by our security agents(Police) in the North of Nigeria besides the occasional Government action in the Crisis ridden Jos, Bauchi and Bornu states. We all know the results and consequences of such inept actions by our so called security agents.
Let me break it to you brother shocked-  The Police generally and inherently are contemptuous of Southern Nigerians and have no iota of fear whatsoever of Southerners, hence the Impunity, Brazen and Gross [/b]behaviour from them as expected normal behaviour. I have severally in other forums, pointed out this disparity in police behavioural standards between the North and South of Nigeria by default I guess. My personal feeling is that the Southerners are inherently [b]Fearful, Lazy,Deferential to anybody in uniform, lacking the guts to retaliate or Act purposefully, beyond mere noisy outrage as usual compared to our compatriots in the North of the country hence some actions of the Boko Haram are justified no matter how grotesque the logic might sound. In the North of the Country, vehicles and drivers in motor accidents that involve death of a local are immediately being burnt or killed without recourse to the authorities hence the "mutual" inherent respect for the locals. Action speak louder than words. I do not support violence but enough is enough. It's about time Southern Nigerians reclaimed their freedom and citizenship. As it is now, the only free Nigerian citizen only exists in the north of Nigeria never mind poverty etc which also exists in the South too angry.
[/quote]
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Googler(m): 7:33pm On Oct 21, 2011
reindeer:

The police are just a reflection of the rot in the entire country.
Right.

reindeer:
Keep voting for PDP and you have no right to complain.
Nobody gets brought to justice for anything.
Stoopid followers who keep ssupporting the people holding them hostage.
I weep not for Nigeria, i weep for the idiotas who mouth change but do otheriwse when the opportunity arises.
This is nonsense. It is, because (1) You have no proof that your party, whichever it is, would have changed the police by now. (2) When you vote a government into power, you are free to disagree with some of its decisions or the way it's runing things; you can even call for the government to be impeached or recalled. That is how it is in democracies and it's hard to make sense of your position that those who voted PDP should remain silent forever. BTW I did not vote PDP.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 7:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
Kobojunkie
It will only stop when Nigerians start demanding they be treated as human beings.  It's over 51 years and God has yet to come down to do it.

^^ Gbam!!!!! We are inherently fearful, lazy and deferential to anything/body in uniform or "bigman"/"Woman" sad
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by realchange: 7:40pm On Oct 21, 2011
Nigeria police should be broken up into 36 state commands completely under the command of the states and no central IG position. current police is a mess.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by GSyntax(m): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2011
@Olodostein, I think I truly support your suggestion. Setting up a website(video/pictures) dedicated to x-raying all injustices meted out on the populace by the police which is updated daily could really help raise awareness. Also I believe that pioneering a TV talk-show that focuses on the Police criminal acts could help. For effective production/utilisation of such a program, a private TV (not NTA) would be preferable.  

RIP Emma!
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Remii(m): 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2011
Just few days back, IGP Ringim on the radio and TV, was boldly asking anyone to come up with video evidence of Police corruption and collection of money for bail for him to believe the allegation were true. mssssewww, How do you solve the country problem with such official dinail.

My God console the family of the deposed. Unless well connected, police would have twisted the case so much that even the family may not be able to show up to collect the corpse of the poor guy.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2011
Only a fool argues with the man with a gun

Serves him right.

Hopefully, there is very few ediots like him left .
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 21, 2011
^^ I don't even know what to say to you. That was just wrong on so many levels.

These are the kind of things people say that in so doing invite calamity upon themselves and their families as well.  undecided
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Kilode1: 2:29am On Oct 22, 2011
Is there a Facebook page for him?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 2:33am On Oct 22, 2011
2buff:

^^ I don't even know what to say to you. That was just wrong on so many levels.

These are the kind of things people say that in so doing invite calamity upon themselves and their families as well.  undecided

Like not minding your phocking business?

Arguing with a trigger happy cop?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by manny4life(m): 4:03am On Oct 22, 2011
It's about time Nigerian youths and people pick up weapons and fight back. If you see any police man, fire on him randomly. I'm sure that will bring the attention of the IG or whoever the fu/ck is in charge. By the time the police counts tens of casualties or even in hundred, they WILL STOP. I call that street justice, enough is enough. For how long will this continue? These so-called idiots have no value for human life, and since they don't value it, they shouldn't have theirs. Curse or no curse won't bring the boy back, the police who perpetrated the crime will probably do the same. If I was in Nigeria, I'll the the first to pick up my weapon--- it's called street justice.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 22, 2011
^^^ Why dont you start it?
E easy like that?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Kilode1: 4:07am On Oct 22, 2011
Is this story fake or somebody threatened Punch Newspaper ?

Seems they removed the story from their website.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 4:16am On Oct 22, 2011
manny4life:

It's about time Nigerian youths and people pick up weapons and fight back. If you see any police man, fire on him randomly. I'm sure that will bring the attention of the IG or whoever the fu/ck is in charge. By the time the police counts tens of casualties or even in hundred, they WILL STOP. I call that street justice, enough is enough. For how long will this continue? These so-called idiots have no value for human life, and since they don't value it, they shouldn't have theirs. Curse or no curse won't bring the boy back, the police who perpetrated the crime will probably do the same. [size=18pt]If I was in Nigeria[/size], I'll the the first to pick up my weapon--- it's called street justice.

Perfect cop out!
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Nymphnode(m): 4:55am On Oct 22, 2011
Shot for smoking hemp? Whao! Those guys are dumb both ways. Yet we all know they are short fused human beings, we will never know what the boy said to jumpstart the policeman's rage. Dis one na 2 wrongs wey no ever make right. I survived mine with a shattered windshield and bloodshot eyes and have also learn to speak and smile at them in pidgin
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Rhino5dm: 5:38am On Oct 22, 2011
This tragic incident reminds me of the brutality of Nigerian police,. By extention, such incident dipicts the rot in the entire Nigerian system.

The continue re-occurrance of these Gestapo methods of taking life extra-judicially, shows how lawless Nigeria has degenerated to. The question begging for answers is, How can this madness be put to an end?

Is this the way Nigerians choose to be living their lives?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by malele(m): 8:11am On Oct 22, 2011
@arsenefc such fate will happen to either u or one of ur family members
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Saipro(m): 11:32am On Oct 22, 2011
Injustice for all by the year 2012!! Similar incident, nearly 20 years ago now. My mom saved the day (fortunately for me). Had a pistol placed on the bridge of my nose. I'll decline to describe the state of inebriation & other peculiarities of the "law-enforcement officers" that night. A few "eternities" later, he was convinced gunning me down would serve a higher purpose. We were all forced to make light of the situation & departed as chatter-friends.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Saipro(m): 11:45am On Oct 22, 2011
Injustice for all by the year 2012!! Similar incident, nearly 20 years ago now. My mom saved the day (fortunately for me). Had a pistol placed on the bridge of my nose. I'll decline describing the state of inebriation & other peculiarities of the "law-enforcement officers" that night. A few "eternities" later, he was convinced gunning me down would serve a higher purpose. We were all forced to make light of the situation & departed as chatter-friends.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Dvampire(m): 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2011
only in nigeria will a police officer point a loaded weapon at a civilian, cock the gun/release the safety and pull the trigger. they kill and maim the innocent citizens they claim to protect. what do we expect when we employ primary six certificate holders, school dropouts with questionable undocumented cases to their names? what do we expect from a country where the leaders are clueless and directionless? a country where the leader has no liver to put his foot down where necessary! nigeria is at the brink of a very serious implosion.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by manny4life(m): 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Why dont you start it?
E easy like that?

Madam Ileke, I said if I was in Nigeria, besides you never know who is planning what, revolution has to start from someplace. You can be corrupt for all I care, but there is no justification for killing for bribery of mere N20. Though it's not easy like that , but with required planning, anything is possible, All I need do is go through sn**er training, get my weapon, find perfect location and stage my actions.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Outstrip(f): 4:40pm On Oct 22, 2011
Shouldn't people demand more. I mean that story Okijajuju just wrote is scary as hell. Shouldn't people be calling for someone to be fired if a police officer is found to be a drunk? Shouldn't yearly evaluations be done and if not done someone should be sued or sent to jail. It should be transparent. where so people report these things? How easy is it to report it. This is horrible.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ all Posters saying that we should be fearful and subservient in "Nigeria" because the Police behave badly, actually it is only in a section of the country, Southern Nigeria predominantly. We seem to bury our heads in the sand and gloss over that fact as if it affects the rest of the country(North). It seems to me that a lot of Nigerians have not travelled around the country as to observe the distinct difference in police behaviour in the North and the South. There is abject contempt, disrespect, and disregard for human life by every law enforcement agents in the South. Even traffic wardens in Lagos behave badly too despite not being armed yet. Did the police not kill two brothers in ONDO state recently yet the outrage against the police was feeble and the police station and inhabitants are still in business as usual. Cowardice, Fear and Laziness have taken hold of our collective psyche hence impunity flourishes in the South of the country more than anywhere else in the country. We are fearful of social misfits like Area boys, cultists in universities (mainly in the South) to other social miscreants and delinquents in our midst. Fear has gained control of our natural ability to Act purposefully. It is as if we are a conquered and defeated people indeed and not full fledged citizens of a so called free country.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Ultrame(m): 8:59pm On Oct 22, 2011
Harakiri:
This has nothing to do with Nigerian Police Force. All these sad events erupt from our inhumanity to each other. It only reveals itself when we are in positions of power to met out the wickedness in our hearts to others. In every federal infrastructure or public organization, you see our fellow Africans using their positions to oppress others e.g soldiers/naval and air-force officers will beat civilians to the point of death in broad daylight while people gather to watch, LASTMA/VIO and other individuals whose jobs is supposed to maintain order on our roads use their position as an avenue to extort motorists (to them, it's a crime for your vehicle to break down on the road and they can beat you up for not "co-operating"wink, nurses in general hospitals don't care about human life unless you give them egunje to take special care of your loved ones (I've seen a lot of nasty things i can't mention here), the president/governors/senators/rep members/LGA chairman/councilors are only interested in looting government funds and don't give a damn about the masses, commercial bus drivers seize every little opportunity to hike the price of transport fares, market traders utilize every little change in the economy to skyrocket the prices of commodities, landlords increase rent on a yearly basis without a care in the world for the struggling man, tenants choose to owe their landlords rent for years while going to court all because they feel they can get away with it, churches are nothing more than business centres who exploit the gullible and weak minded (i can go on and on).

What i'm trying to say is, Africans (or Nigerians to be specific) don't give a damn about anyone else than themselves. This nonchalance reflects on our police force. Go to the tribal section of this forum and the kind of evil/vile/wicked posts you see there is a reflection of our animosity towards each other.

Nuff said!

^^^^^^
Bros u made a lot of sense. What do we do now? This country just gets sicker by the minute.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
Remii:

Just few days back, IGP Ringim on the radio and TV, was boldly asking anyone to come up with video evidence of Police corruption and collection of money for bail for him to believe the allegation were true. mssssewww, How do you solve the country problem with such official dinail.

My God console the family of the deposed. Unless well connected, police would have twisted the case so much that even the family may not be able to show up to collect the corpse of the poor guy.

The IG of Nigeria Poverty Family is a ret'ard.If his boys can kill innocent citizens,how does he expect Nigerians to believe this rubbish he's vomiting.A simple drive around lagos will be more convincing for IG if he can disguise himself and drive alone or is he telling us that he has not collected bribe since he joined the police ?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 10:15pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc:

Only a fool argues with the man with a gun

Serves him right.

Hopefully, there is very few ediots like him left .

You are a cretin!

Product of a failed education system!
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 10:22pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sagamite:

You are a cretin!

Product of a failed education system!

Next time you go ahead and argue with the man with a gun, instead of challenging the system in a designated court of law.

ode, olodo oshi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gboyega Aribisogan Arrested, Whisked To Abuja / Am Going To Run Mad If I Have This Fleet Of Cars – Hon Kazaure On Dino Malaye / President Tinubu To Launch Lagos Red Line Project On Thursday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.