Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,026 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa (10069 Views)

5 Categories Of Bloggers In Nigeria. Which One Are You? / 10 Powerful Secrets Of Successful Bloggers Exposed! / Top Bloggers In Nigeria 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2011
Hello friends, pls don't pay so much look on my use of the word, "successful". What I implied by that is, bloggers who earn plausible income oFf their blog. I'm a Blogger myself and have been working my a s s off getting quality content and traffic to my blog. However, there are blogs out there with high traffic, yet they make little or nothing from the blog.
I just wonder why this is the case. I've seen blogs by Americans and Europeans with little quality and u find them raking highly from google. Many of them don't even update regularly, which doesn't stop their earnings. So, I think its high time we discuss this. My no one observation is that, most people (Nigerian web users) don't click on ads. Many see it as a distraction or some sort of virus pull.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Afam4eva(m): 5:02pm On Oct 21, 2011
I think it's basically because there are different motivating factors. The motivating factor of many Nigerian bloggers is money. You can't be successful blogger with money being at the front burner. You have to love what you do.

Anyways, some bloggers in Nigeria are trying. People like Bella Naija, Linda Ikeji, Loy Okezie etc.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2011
You have a fair point there about money. But then, the most universally appreciated form of reward or encouragement for any venture is money! The blogs you mentioned are the few successful ones there are. And they are run like a company; have paid writers and staff.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by yawatide(f): 5:52pm On Oct 21, 2011
afam speaketh well. hear ye him. . .

Sure, they may have money at the back of their mind but the passion for it comes first. I mean, it even reflects in their post and the frequency of their posts. Take Linda Ikeji for instance. she posts on a wide variety of stuff and posts very frequently. Most importantly, a bulk of her posts are tuned to the Nigerian entertainment audience. Everyone wants to know about their favorite celebrity and she plays into that well. Her ads aren't intrusive either. Compare that to some others I have seen. The first thing you see is google ads and you can tell they are looking for what to write.

Again, listen to afam.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
Well said @yawatide. I agree with the both of you. But that said, it still doesn't culminate as to why we have few people recording blog success. That exactly is what i want us to look into.

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Ymodulus: 7:43pm On Oct 21, 2011
O my god! I cant imagine the stress tobi technology took to design that website. Gosh! Have that guy heard about running all pages from index? No offence i know this off topic.
Now back to question well blive me its not as easy as you tink but secondly you need to have passion in what you do or you complain always. Like yawa said most keep money up front
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2011
Ymodulus:

O my god! I cant imagine the stress tobi technology took to design that website. Gosh! Have that guy heard about running all pages from index? No offence i know this off topic.
Now back to question well blive me its not as easy as you tink but secondly you need to have passion in what you do or you complain always. Like yawa said most keep money up front

You know Tosbitech? Mind explaining what u mean!
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by yawatide(f): 10:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
Let me try again:

1) Lack of Passion
2) Lack of focus
3) lack of devotion
4) lack of persistence
5) lack of overall goal
6) lack of infrastructure (light, computer, etc)
7) high ignorance ratio (how does one go about owning a blog? many might still not know)

Is this better? tongue
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by oyedepo1(m): 12:45am On Oct 22, 2011
Enough have been said.  I quite agreed with you guys,  when talking about blogging, PASSION is a key factor. Most Nigerians go into blogging because they though they can be millionaires overnight, forgetting that BLOGGING is a long term. What I do tell newbie-bloggers is; BLOG with PASSION, have your VISITORS  in mind and you will be a successful blogger.

Another factor I think is responsible for this is POOR internet connection and our dear PHCN.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 11:34am On Oct 22, 2011
yawa-ti-de:

Let me try again:

1) Lack of Passion
2) Lack of focus
3) lack of devotion
4) lack of persistence
5) lack of overall goal
6) lack of infrastructure (light, computer, etc)
7) high ignorance ratio (how does one go about owning a blog? many might still not know)

Is this better? tongue

These are the koko. grin
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 22, 2011
My blog is only 3 months old and it has attracted a wide range of audience and attention.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by deco2come: 12:11pm On Oct 22, 2011
The secret of making money through blogging is blogging as a group. For instance, if I am good at software, another person is good at games, another person is good at web designing, etc. If we all come together and run a blog that is mainly discuss about computers, there is no way we cannot succeed.

The problem is not only in Nigeria it is everywhere in the world. Believe it or not, getting traffic is not beans. Most of the people that make it through blog don't even have one website.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by pendo89(f): 12:18pm On Oct 22, 2011
I create blogs out of passion not business. Its not really a nigeian problem cz am not in nigeria.
I even created company group blog consisting of staff from all over to share but men teaching people how to do it after the invite was very stressful.
People don't want to read instructions! They want to click and voila! 
These were my observtns.

1. People look at blogs as social site. You need lots of work if you are into it for biz.
2. People are either too lazy or too busy to blog.I even forget I have a personal blog!
3. Ignorance.Explaining to people how to create topics and post is a headache.Most even after you make them administrators they stil have no clue where to start
4. The DESIGN! most blogs are poorly designed with poor colours. First impressions matter to me.
5. There are so many sites out there.People are into everything and blogging becomes a headache.

@ chipmunkey what was ur secret? Was it ur target audience,subject or the design?
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by highland(m): 12:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
There are so many people blogging you don't no about.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by donjos10(m): 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2011
pendo89:

I create blogs out of passion not business. Its not really a nigeian problem cz am not in nigeria.
I even created company group blog consisting of staff from all over to share but men teaching people how to do it after the invite was very stressful.
People don't want to read instructions! They want to click and voila! 
These were my observtns.

1. People look at blogs as social site. You need lots of work if you are into it for biz.
2. People are either too lazy or too busy to blog.I even forget I have a personal blog!
3. Ignorance.Explaining to people how to create topics and post is a headache.Most even after you make them administrators they stil have no clue where to start
4. The DESIGN! most blogs are poorly designed with poor colours. First impressions matter to me.
5. There are so many sites out there.People are into everything and blogging becomes a headache.

@ chipmunkey what was your secret? Was it your target audience,subject or the design?

gud talk am young boy but try my best in building my blog
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Digriz(m): 1:38pm On Oct 22, 2011
ok guys,what are the step to be taken by a new blogger to develop and earns money from blogging? how to get approval from google an so on?
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by leMuhito(f): 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2011
Seems those who persevere and are determined do make it online like Onibalusi Bamidele a 17 year old blogger/entrepreneur who makes more than $5,000 monthly thus living the internet lifestyle.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by rover321: 2:01pm On Oct 22, 2011
Google ads are priced at different levels in different countries. For instance a google ad that advertises or promotes a US Presidential candidate will earn a blogger based in the US more than a blogger based in Africa. Also, ads that advertise say "weight loss" remedies will earn a blogger more than one on "the East Africa famine crisis" put out there by an international organisation like the UN.

Advertisers in Africa, aren't paying big bucks to advertise on Google so consequently the earnings for bloggers of African content is equally lows as a result.

It might not be a bad idea to have a look at some of the best blogs in Africa, then to try to replicate thier success. Even if they are not earning big bucks now you have to bear in mind that internet access or penetration as they call it is extremely low in Africa. The US with only a population of 250 million has more people using the internt than the whole of Africa - population 1 billion!! The best blogs in Africa now are those that will reap the rewards as internet penetration grows and faster broadband etc becomes more popular

It is not all doom and gloom though. Egypt has the most internet users in Africa. Their bloggers are the ones that started the "Arab Revolution" so it's best not to look at everything in money terms only. The best blog in the world is Huffington Post which was recently sold for $350 million dollars. Without that blog's influence Obama would not have been elected as President. That is how influential a good blog can become.

What you and others could do is list some of the best African or Nigeria blogs there are. I know a couple but not enough. You could always tell which ones will be earning big bucks in the near future.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Relax101(m): 3:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
This networking site has attracted students within and outside Nigeria.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by cenmegasys: 3:43pm On Oct 22, 2011
Mcleo007:

Hello friends, pls don't pay so much look on my use of the word, "successful". What I implied by that is, bloggers who earn plausible income oFf their blog. I'm a Blogger myself and have been working my a s s off getting quality content and traffic to my blog. However, there are blogs out there with high traffic, yet they make little or nothing from the blog.
I just wonder why this is the case. I've seen blogs by Americans and Europeans with little quality and u find them raking highly from google. Many of them don't even update regularly, which doesn't stop their earnings. So, I think its high time we discuss this. My no one observation is that, most people (Nigerian web users) don't click on ads. Many see it as a distraction or some sort of virus pull.
Hello,
Most of American bloggers earn alot because their internet usage is high and everything is believe to be online for them.
They earn by google adsense, affiliate marketing, and basically website aderts by website owners on like africa.
Africans believe to do everything by their self, you can see a blog that not only focus on one niche with is very bad.
American and other europe bloggers earn because they focus on a niche, so i will advice you to focus on a niche in your blog to make you a professional bloger.

Cheers.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Oct 22, 2011
@cenmegasys
I agree with the points you raised concerning the inability of Nigerian bloggers to focus on one niche like their American and European counterparts. I think this is bourne by the fact that the average Nigerian is selfish and thinks he can't make enough money if he focuses on one niche.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by rover321: 4:22pm On Oct 22, 2011
@afam4eva, how would you describe a niche? If a blogger blogs about Nigerian fashion i guess his/her niche is fashion. What about bloggers who blog about Nigeria or Africa on generally current events or anything at all that is related to Nigeria or Africa? The world's most successful blog is the Huffington post. They are not exactly niche bloggers as they blog about everything going on of interest in the world. Using them as an example i really don't think the secret to a successful blog lies in it being niche

These are apparently the best blogs in Africa. Not all are niche blogs even though i must admit majority seem to be.

http://www.ladybrillemag.com/2011/08/ladybrille-magazines-2011-best-african-inspired-blogs-to-read.html

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Mcleo007(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
afam4eva:

@cenmegasys
I agree with the points you raised concerning the inability of Nigerian bloggers to focus on one niche like their American and European counterparts. I think this is bourne by the fact that the average Nigerian is selfish and thinks he can't make enough money if he focuses on one niche.

You do have a point here. Some people believe in multi-choice approach to blogging. I always advice people to stick to a particular flow and seek what works best for them. By profession, I'm a fashion entrepreneur cum designer. Its only natural for me to channel my expertise towards that line. Hence, my blog, www.fashionaira..com provides fashion tips, trends and reviews. But then, regular updating isn't easy in my case considering non-avalance of topics and know-how. But as most people have raised herein, what keeps ms moving is the passionfor what I do.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Abiboy09: 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2011
The Untold Part of Gaddafi Read More,
http://incometranslation..com/p/lates-news.html
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by suxes2006(m): 5:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
There are many factors affecting Nigerian bloggers (which i am part of)
I earn my 90% living online and little from travel jobs, what i can only
say is affecting 9ja bloggers is lack of internet.

Sure, some of em are good when it comes to writing but no money
and no traffic. The probs with traffic is cause of the niche,

As for me, my foreign blog earns more money for me compare to my
9ja blog and i have decided to put more effort on my foreign blog.

My own advice is this, try adn research the niche very well before deciding
to venture into it and have a very good BLUEPRINT as well.

SHALOM
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by rover321: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2011
The Internet problems are getting better - Apparently Naija is adding more internet users than every country with the exception of India and China, both of which have mega populations

http://www.myweku.com/?p=17970&preview=true
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by suxes2006(m): 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
there are some secret niches in 9ja as well that needs blogger!
Something that has to do with money et all,

SHALOM
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Rgp92: 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2011
They're praying to god instead.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by JAZES(m): 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
Passion is key in maintaining a blog no matter d niche
you venture into.
Put Content first, back it up with quality marketing and the sky
will be the beginning for you.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by supereagle(m): 8:44pm On Oct 22, 2011
To make it in Adsense,go 4 high paying keywords. Stop wasting time&energy on cpc kw of $1. Go 4 kw of $30 and above. Use this tool:www.keywordspy.com to determine cpc.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by MyneWhite1(f): 8:46pm On Oct 22, 2011
Finding a niche is almost imperative for a blog. This is the focus of a blog, or the topic/theme by which the blog can be defined. You can also define this as the niche into which your blog falls. Can people think of your blog and match it with a particular area? This could be personal life, poetry, travel, gossip, films,parenting, food etc.

With that said, you don’t have to lock yourself in a box, most of us are quite versatile in our day to day lives, and your blog can be a showcase of this. This is where what I talked about in what makes a good blog comes in again, you must have a defined voice so that whatever you decide to talk about, it still fits into your reader’s perception of you and your blog. With this, there are several ways to define your niche for your blog users.

So you’ve chosen your URL, your title and your description. What next? How do you go about choosing the topics to blog about? How do you know which ones not to? These questions might help.

http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/2011/05/find-your-blog-niche.html

afam4eva:

@cenmegasys

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GTB Mastercard Rejected By Domain Name Registrar / Web Designers In Nigeria (Contact Details) / PEER TO PEER,MATRIX,MLM & SPORT Websites Expert In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.