Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,488 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. (4125 Views)

Is There Any Special Dish You Eat On Sundays? / When Last Did You Eat On Your Dinning Table? / Nigerian Women Who Don't Eat A Lot In Front Of Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
i grew up getting used to eating on the dining table,even if i was eating alone but later discovered that each time i visited other friends and families i would notice how each person in the house would disappear into their bedrooms from the kitchen with their bowl/tray of food.
i can understand if the apartment is too small & there's no dining table, now i see couples and even singles who have nicely furnished homes & dining rooms/tables but still prefer to carry their meals on their laps or eat from the coffee (centre)table.Why?
infact i have an uncle who's got grown up kids and has converted his dining table to a desk(dumping news papers,files etc).he left just a small area on the table,probably for more junk to pile up. Now he eats on the coffee table.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 11:21pm On Oct 22, 2011
Lol . . . .I guess same thing that made some home cover their living rooms sets with nylon and have no one sit on them, just for decor . . .LOl
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2011
@Fhemmy
really. . shocked lol .that happens?
hilarious. i guess they don't want furniture makers to earn a living . grin .
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2011
i even have an in-law who eats on the floor of the living room with her husband,one time i visited & i was served a meal in a tray while sitting in the living room,then i got up to eat on the dining table,and she said she didn't have the strength to tidy the table after the meal,thats why they dont use it. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2011
^^ My sister, many crazy things happens in Nigeria . . . . .
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by ikechukz(m): 10:46am On Oct 24, 2011
i like eating in my room while playing games or watching movies.i hate dining tables.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 3:37pm On Oct 24, 2011
ikechukz:

i like eating in my room while playing games or watching movies.i hate dining tables.

That is not a good table manner . . . . eat, and then relax afterwards
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by ronkebp(f): 6:02pm On Oct 24, 2011
I love to sit on the floor to eat, my dada used to force us to sit on the dinning table, we used to, but once am on my own, my dear, na to sit for floor chop my food, i enjoy the food more, i can sit there for hours eating. grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by anonymous6(f): 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2011
Some families do, some don't but I feel it is a family thing. Nigerians that are single and are not married or have a family don't really do that, plus people just don't have the time, they may need to eat while doing homework, watching TV, working, and etc
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by ikechukz(m): 9:05pm On Oct 24, 2011
Fhemmmy:

That is not a good table manner . . . . eat, and then relax afterwards
Who cares about table manners.only about 5% of Nigerians eat on their dining table.pls permit me one question,does dining table add more flavour to your food.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by ikechukz(m): 9:06pm On Oct 24, 2011
Fhemmmy:

That is not a good table manner  . . . . eat, and then relax afterwards
Who cares about table manners.only about 5% of Nigerians eat on their dining table.pls permit me one question,does dining table add more flavour to your food.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 12:49am On Oct 25, 2011
in the city you eat at the dining table.

in the village, you dont.

overseas, its up to the people involved where they want to eat and the op might consider watching how she gossips about the folks she visits.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 1:50am On Oct 25, 2011
ikechukz:

Eating on the table is more fun when the family eats together and it is kinda form of family spending time together
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 2:35am On Oct 25, 2011
not aware of any dining table in the village.

people still ate together though.

however, i think if someone who likes to gossip, goes to a house where they didnt give her a dining table, she's free to either tidy the table, refuse to eat, or better still, stay away.

when she has her own house, she can install multiple dining tables there.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 2:45am On Oct 25, 2011
anyway @ topic

nigerians in the urban areas own dining tables and yes, eat on them.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2011
tpia@:

not aware of any dining table in the village.

people still ate together though.

however, i think if someone who likes to gossip, goes to a house where they didnt give her a dining table, she's free to either tidy the table, refuse to eat, or better still, stay away.

when she has her own house, she can install multiple dining tables there.

If there is no dinning table, and they all sat on the floor to eat, it is not about the table, but about eating together.

I think will give the mother or the cook some sort of joy, when they all eat together and not everyone dash to their rooms to eat . . . . There is joy doing it together.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by GODSJEWEL2: 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2011
Most of us grew up eating on a big round tray with food sitted on the floor.it is only in fast food that we actually use a table to eat , LOL
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:40pm On Oct 25, 2011
tpia@:

in the city you eat at the dining table.

in the village, you dont.

overseas, its up to the people involved where they want to eat and the op might consider watching how she gossips about the folks she visits.

As much as i hate to repond to unintelligent replies & topics especially on NL,i think i'll make an exception here.
do try to distinguish between an obsevation & "gossip" before you begin to derail the topic in discussion.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 9:43pm On Oct 25, 2011
^^your attitude is a very unattractive one, i must say.

learn the meaning of good manners.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
i see the topic in question is difficult for some people to understand. . .may be i should rephrase it.
Why do people go through all that trouble putting up a dining section(table) & still eat else where in the house?
for me ,i think dining together on a table brings you together as friends/families.(like one of the posters said).
when you do sit on the table to eat it gives one the right posture allowing proper digestion,rather than slouching or bending over to eat from the floor or center table.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 12:27am On Oct 26, 2011
^^well, you could rephrase your thread title to a more mature one?
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Knight1(m): 9:33am On Oct 27, 2011
well, i think the issue is that we acquire things out of convention and not necessarily because we need them.
My parents almost always eat in the sitting room, you set the table for them yet my dad once (i think) got a dining table from india!

it's just part of normal furniture so people acquire them without any real plans of using them unless there are a lot of guests.
as for those who read/pile books on the dining table, i used to be guilty of that until recently. grin
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Fhemmmy: 7:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^ Beautifully said . . .
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
Knight1:

well, i think the issue is that we acquire things out of convention and not necessarily because we need them.
My parents almost always eat in the sitting room, you set the table for them yet my dad once (i think) got a dining table from india!

it's just part of normal furniture so people acquire them without any real plans of using them unless there are a lot of guests.
as for those who read/pile books on the dining table,

you're probably right,for some its the fact they have the furniture right in the house but either dont like to use or dont want to use and just buy it anyway because it has to be there to compliment the aesthetic view of the house,rather than its main purpose of being there.
i guess a lot of people have different reasons for eating on the floor,coffee table or anywhere else in the house.
@Knight1
so where do you prefer to eat now that your dining table is no longer a "desk" ? lol grin
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 9:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
maybe in the kitchen?

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 1:21am On Oct 28, 2011
sitting on a sofa/couch & eating from the tray on my laps,that i can make do with but i tried to eat on the floor one time ,it was really uncomfortable for me.(back pain) not to mention the difficulty in getting up, & if you'd just finished eating with your hands you might need to support youself with your elbows when trying to get up.

By the way ,@ tpia
" maybe in the kitchen" ?

i was asking Knight1,not you.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 2:08am On Oct 28, 2011
^^just reminding you many homes these days have eating compartments in the kitchen apart from the dining room.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:52am On Oct 28, 2011
sad
tpia@:

^^just reminding you many homes these days have eating compartments in the kitchen apart from the dining room.

if you took the time to understand the original post rather than attack the original poster ,you will find out that it says Dining table slash Dining room.
so you're either using the dining table that is being set up in the kitchen,or in a seperate room in the house(which is called the dining room) or creating a corner space for it to be set up in the livng room.

what part of this post don't you understand so i can break it all down for you?
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Knight1(m): 10:26am On Oct 29, 2011
@ uzoo
in front of my tv. grin
or sometimes lipsrsealed (the dining room) lipsrsealed
but seriously, the location of the activity isn't consequential. very seriously
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by iice(f): 4:47pm On Oct 30, 2011
Because some of us do other things at the same time.
I also grew up eating in the dinning room. As in full works, set table, complete utensils and all that.
But sometimes, we'd take our places to the living room, all of us and watch a movie while eating.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by GODSJEWEL2: 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2011
I feel eating together as a family whether dining table,tray on lap or infront of d TV doesn't matter as long as we're united and happy as a family
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:28am On Oct 31, 2011
GODS JEWEL:

I feel eating together as a family whether dining table,tray on lap or infront of d TV doesn't matter as long as we're united and happy as a family

YES , i do understand what you're saying , when i was a child and we visited our grannies,my cousins and i would eat on the floor or center table and it was fun and some of us(especially the guys) would target the largest meat in the bowl of food ,and see who gets it, sometimes it ended in a battle. . . grin with the adult in the house sharing it amongst everyone eventually. cheesy

but what i can"t seem to understand is why would you set up a dining table in your home and still eat on the bare floor,or center table or even on the bed.

then at home as a child eating on the bed was even out of the question,my folks will make you do the laundry that day if any grain of food was found on the bed sheets. embarassed cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Step By Step Guide On How To Make Bread (without A Bread Machine) Easily / Meat Pie Business / How To Prepare Peppered Gizzard!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.