Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:35 PM

Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? (1739 Views)

Why Is Christianity Diminishing In Europe And America? / Is Christianity True? The Greatest Conspiracy Ever / Why Is Christianity So Hated And Persecuted Is It Because It's "conversion Theory" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by 2mch(m): 12:27am On Oct 24, 2011
Exodus 22: 24

'If you lend money to any of my people, to anyone poor among you, you will not play the usurer with him: you will not demand interest from him.
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by Joagbaje(m): 5:17am On Oct 24, 2011
At least a minimal interest. Not excessive interest that will drain life out of the borrower .
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by Sweetnecta: 3:38pm On Oct 24, 2011
interest is interest. similar to illicit activity is illicit activity.

the jews among themselves do not charge interest. that is in their book.
but christianity piggyback on the jews, so no interest should be what christians practice. after all Jesus who the christians claim to be his followers turn over the table of the exchangers, who are probably doing interest based business there.

we see hypocrisy in place. what people say they believe in is different from what they do for the eyes to see.
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by Joagbaje(m): 5:49pm On Oct 24, 2011
Sweetnecta:

. after all Jesus who the christians claim to be his followers turn over the table of the exchangers, who are probably doing interest based business there.

He turned the table because they were doing it in the wrong place. He's not against interest .

Luke 19:23
23 Then why did you not put my money in a bank, so that on my return, I might have collected it with interest?
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by Sweetnecta: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2011
Then he is against OT.
i wonder why he said he came to fulfill the same thing he is against?
interest is bigger than the smallest jot!

Where is the consistency? Or some people are lying on Jesus about eating interest to satisfy their own INTEREST?
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by 2mch(m): 8:58pm On Oct 24, 2011
From that verse i think the Bible is against interest to an extent. Although it says to those poor among you. But we know everyone that goes to loan money does that because they do not have those funds at their disposal. In this context could they be considered poor? This may be subjective. I was really surprised to see this verse because i thought the bible did not have much issue with interest. So after all non interest banking is not only a Muslim thing. Maybe it was a thing of a place and time. A cultural phenomenon? Which with time and change in culture has become embraced. All in all, interest is a cost of doing business, and business men must make money some how. grin cheesy
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by PastorAIO: 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2011
2mch:

From that verse i think the Bible is against interest to an extent. Although it says to those poor among you. But we know everyone that goes to loan money does that because they do not have those funds at their disposal. In this context could they be considered poor? This may be subjective. I was really surprised to see this verse because i thought the bible did not have much issue with interest. So after all non interest banking is not only a Muslim thing. Maybe it was a thing of a place and time. A cultural phenomenon? Which with time and change in culture has become embraced. All in all, interest is a cost of doing business, and business men must make money some how. grin cheesy

You need to see this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-696891.0.html
Re: Is Christianity Also Against Interest Banking? by 2mch(m): 10:56pm On Oct 24, 2011
Very interesting, good job. I need to read the thread, when i do we shall discuss. You seem to support the idea. cheesy. I am a capitalist or mixed market type but i was shocked to see that in the bible.  shocked shocked shocked. I didn't even know that thread existed before i opened this one.
Pastor AIO:

You need to see this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-696891.0.html

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Work Good Or Not / Destroying Ancestral Altars/agents (4) / 'spirit Of Just Men Made Perfect' Who Are They?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.