Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification (5110 Views)

Nigerian Mrp (non Biometric Passport) / Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria / The End Of The Old Nigerian Passport (mrp), No More Renewal. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ilurveit(f): 6:47pm On Oct 24, 2011
Ok this is not really a travel question but it is related to the old Nigerian passport.

I have an exam coming up day after tomorrow for which I've been told the only allowable ID I can use is my passport. (No Driver's license, National ID etc). However, I don't currently have my E-passport with me as it's at an embassy being processed for a visa. I DO have my old (MRP) passport which doesn't expire till next year. I'm wondering if that's still acceptable as a valid form of identification in this country or has it been phased out?
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by justwise(m): 6:53pm On Oct 24, 2011
ilurveit:

Ok this is not really a travel question but it is related to the old Nigerian passport.

I have an exam coming up day after tomorrow for which I've been told the only allowable ID I can use is my passport. (No Driver's license, National ID etc). However, I don't currently have my E-passport with me as it's at an embassy being processed for a visa. I DO have my old (MRP) passport which doesn't expire till next year. I'm wondering if that's still acceptable as a valid form of identification in this country or has it been phased out?

Sure u can use it, i don't think it has been phased out yet.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ilurveit(f): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2011
Ok great. Thanks a bunch!!!
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by justwise(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2011
ilurveit:

Ok great. Thanks a bunch!!!

No worries.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by Execu1: 7:09am On Oct 27, 2011
@ Justwise, when u say the old MRP passport has not been phased out yet & can still be used as a valid means of identification; would embassies also accept them for visa application purposes ?
Pls advice. I need to know.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ochukoccna: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2011
Execu1:

@ Justwise, when u say the old MRP passport has not been phased out yet & can still be used as a valid means of identification; would embassies also accept them for visa application purposes ?
Pls advice. I need to know.
No you cant use it for visa applications as at lasat year sef
Use the new one for that

@ ilurveit, believe you should still able to use it. used mine till it expired this April for bank money transfers.
I recall hearing a top shot in the passport office saying in 2009 or there about that the MRP is valid through 2011

@ all, please how much does it take to get the new passport& which office i.e. Festac or Ikoyi [or is the Ikeja passport office reopened?
Thanks.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ayzree: 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2011
IT has not been faced out- mine will expire 2012 nov and i use it for ID in banks to clear check and write enough professional Examinations, so far its not expired you have nothing to worry about. TRUST ME
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by softgirl1: 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2011
I traveled to the uk in August and there was a woman that was almost stoped from bording because she was carying the old  pasport. I don't think it's still in use sha to be on the safer side it's beter to use ur eu pasport
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by justwise(m): 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2011
soft girl:

I traveled to the uk in August and there was a woman that was almost stoped from bording because she was carying the old  pasport. I don't think it's still in use sha to be on the safer side it's beter to use your eu pasport

She is using it as a proof of identity and not for travelling purposes.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by Guardian(m): 7:04pm On Nov 04, 2011
Doooh !!. All they want is a unique, authentic means for identifying you.
They aren't scanning it 're they ? And am sure you aren't going to be flown from out of the country to an out-of-the-country destination for the interview ?

Lady pleaseeeeeeeee. restriction on E-Passport is only at Boarder Zones.

ooh least I forget if it's an Airline or associated travel job. Yes you really may need ur E-Passport. But nothing stops u taking the old one and let them know u have the OG stuck in processing
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
For travelling purposes, I do not think so though because I have a friend who was travelling to Hungary and was stopped because she had the old passport. She was delayed for a couple of hours.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by KayDee4: 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2011
ilurveit:

as long as it hasn't expired, it should still be valid for ID'ing u.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ArQuAbOy(m): 11:36pm On Nov 04, 2011
You all are saying the same thing over again and again. I think she gets it
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by auwal87(m): 12:20am On Nov 05, 2011
You can use it until it expires.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by princedant: 3:58am On Nov 05, 2011
the MRP is no longer valid for any embassy visa application or travel outside Nigeria since January 1st this year 2011, however, if u still have one thats yet to expire, it can still be used as a form of ID.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by ilurveit(f): 1:53am On Nov 06, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the responses! So here's the update on what happened:

I went with my e-passport AND the people gave me issues and a lot of attitude. They were like "we don't take that passport anymore." So I told them that the NIS (I don't even know if that's who's in charge of these matters but I sha said it with confidence) had extended the validity period till the end of this year and they still gave me attitude saying "ehn that is the NIS's business and that as for them, they only recognize E-passport."

Mchewww! Imagine!!! In my mind I was totally like "who you be sef?!" But in reality, I turned on the water works and resorted to good old-fashioned begging. Am I proud of myself? No! It was embarrassing, but I still took my exam in the end and that's what counts.

So, in summary, maybe don't wait till last minute like I did/plan better AND find out in advance from the source what is acceptable or not. Otherwise be prepared to cry and look a little foolish.
Re: Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification by oncolor: 4:13am On Nov 06, 2011
princedant:

the MRP is no longer valid for any embassy visa application or travel outside Nigeria since January 1st this year 2011, however, if u still have one thats yet to expire, it can still be used as a form of ID.

That is not true. I renewed my U.S visa on my old MRP Passport at the U.S embassy in Lagos in August 2011 while my E-Passport was still being processed. When I finally got the E-Passport it was blank with no visa, I use the old MRP passport with my visa for getting into the U.S while the E-Passport is just to get out of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? / My Experience At Nigeria Immigration Office, Ikoyi / I Have 600k..which Country Can I Travel To And Start A Good Life..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.