Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? (27950 Views)

Where Can L Download Lgbo Highlife Music From? / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers / Classic Highlife Music (this Is Old School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Kc3000: 7:58pm On Oct 25, 2011
@Kwezbaba yes o, I just found out about CELESTINE UKWU a few years ago . What a gem! Too bad he died at such an early age,but I really love his music. Good choice.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Remii(m): 8:00pm On Oct 25, 2011
Bobby Benson is the grandfather of all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Benson
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2011
S A I N T JANET.AKA IYA YABIS,IYA TIO RANYAN,IYA TIODESERI grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Eagle75: 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2011
1. late rex lawson
2. late orlando owoh
3. late oliver de coque
4. late osita osadebe
5. late celestine ukwu
6. late sir warrior
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by chrysso83(m): 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
For me its late Ultimate Dr Sir Warrior. Dough i still love Oliver de Coque and Osadebe.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by igboboy1(m): 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2011
okooyinbo:

Victor Olaiya
Baba Aladura (I. K. Dairo)
Kayode Fashola
Kwame - something - (a Ghanian)
Rex Lawson
Bobby Benson

The Igbo musician I have listened to and I liked has been
Victor Uwaifo
Sunny Okosun

They are my personal,

Omo pupa o, omo pupa le nfe, omo pupa o jowo ko je temi o
Pamurobotoriboto mo gb'omo jo e, ta lo le bi ko ma gbe jo?, aaah mo gb'omo jo o e
Joromi o jo mi jo,
if u see mammi water o,

the most unelightened set of people in Nigeria has to be the Yorubas i swear. To them if your name is:
MOhammed- they say you are hausa, they forget that other minorities both in the North, south and even Yoruba muslim answer Mohammed
If you are kehinde- they say you are Yoruba, they forget that even in Edo state Kehinde is common.
If your name is none of the above- they say you are igbo, so it doesnt matter if it is bassey, ochuko, elohor, nosa, dafe, ejiro, ofiong, tuoyo, priye all na igbo to Yorubas.

As legendary as Uwaifo and Okosun are and yet you dont know their background? Ignorance is a disease men.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by SignorZax: 8:10pm On Oct 25, 2011
CLASSIC HILIFE
1. Chief Dr. Orlando Owoh (Logba Logba)
2. Fatai Rolling Dollars (Won Kere Si Numba Wa)
3. Prince Niko Mbaga (Sweet Mother)
4. Rex Lawson (Carol)
5. Echo Tolukeme (Dance Tonite)

CONTEMPORARY HILIFE
1. Flavour Nabania (Ashawo)
2. 9ice (Gongon Aso)
3. Sunny Nneji (Oruka, Face Me I Face You)
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by buckweath: 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2011
ROY CHICAGO should be a contender. Onile Gogoro comes to mind,
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by MrResource(m): 9:14pm On Oct 25, 2011
My 0GA

Bright Chimezie
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by darne(m): 9:27pm On Oct 25, 2011
All The LATE Dudes & Now Its Chief Engineer Of Highlife Music, J Martins, J Martins would make you dance from Night till Day Break With His Mad Highlife Beats & ofcourse SONGS Too grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by darne(m): 9:30pm On Oct 25, 2011
Pasoma Wonder With Sayidi Oshupa , Ata we we ! tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Revolva(m): 9:40pm On Oct 25, 2011
Obasanjo OBJ is the best high life musician i have ever seen,

Jonathan GEJ is second,
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by AndreUweh(m): 10:12pm On Oct 25, 2011
Osita Osadebe
Oliver De coque
Sir Warrior
Paulson Kanu
The peacocks
Bright Chimezie
Onyia
Eddy Okonta
Orlando Owoh
Ikenga superstars
Sir Olololo
Niko Mbaga
Kabaka
Dan Satch
Alloy Anyanwu
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Remii(m): 10:17pm On Oct 25, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Benson

Bobby Benson started by playing standard big band music, but later introduced African themes, as a pioneer of Highlife music in Nigeria. His song "Taxi Driver" became a classic hit in West Africa, covered by several other musicians, blending Caribbean and Jazz styles. Other hits were "Gentleman Bobby" and "Iyawo se wo lose mi", "Mafe", "Nylon Dress" and "Niger Mambo".[4]

Various prominent musicians started out playing in Benson's band, including Roy Chicago, Sir Victor Uwaifo, Bayo Martins and Zeal Onyia.[1] Victor Olaiya started as a trumpeter with Bobby Benson's band, and became one of the first Nigerian musicians to play highlife with his group the "Cool Cats". Another player with Benson's band who moved into highlife was Eddie Okunta, with his "Lido Band".[5] Benson's innovations in musical style also influenced the evolution of popular Jùjú music.[6]

"Taxi Driver," his biggest hit, and "Niger Mambo," an African melody with the Latin beat, were covered with different interpretations by American artists such as Stanley Turrentine and Jackie Mclean.[7] Randy Weston covered "Niger Mambo" in a solo performance on his 1978 album "Rhythms-Sounds Piano", describing the piece as representing exactly what is called "high life style" in West Africa.[8]
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by tjadeba(m): 10:53pm On Oct 25, 2011
Presently - Flavour Nabania

Before: Victor Olaiya,Sir Victor Uwaifo,Sir Warrior,Osita Osadebey,Oliver De Coque
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by gascoign1(m): 10:57pm On Oct 25, 2011
osadebe for life
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by tjadeba(m): 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2011
igbo boy:

the most unelightened set of people in Nigeria has to be the Yorubas i swear. To them if your name is:
MOhammed- they say you are hausa, they forget that other minorities both in the North, south and even Yoruba muslim answer Mohammed
If you are kehinde- they say you are Yoruba, they forget that even in Edo state Kehinde is common.
If your name is none of the above- they say you are igbo, so it doesnt matter if it is bassey, ochuko, elohor, nosa, dafe, ejiro, ofiong, tuoyo, priye all na igbo to Yorubas.

As legendary as Uwaifo and Okosun are and yet you dont know their background? Ignorance is a disease men.

Funny grin grin,but thunder fire that your hand wey you use type that word embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Nayah(f): 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2011
FELA without any hesitation
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by amblors(m): 11:00pm On Oct 25, 2011
Nayah:

em Fela na Afrobeat.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by cantell(m): 11:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
Nayah:

How did you get to that conclusion?
Could you pls tell us?
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by achinu(m): 11:05pm On Oct 25, 2011
It's funny you ask, I've been listening to a lot of chief osadebe lately & there are quite a few other great high musician from years past like Dr. orlando owoh
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Nayah(f): 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2011
cantell:

How did you get to that conclusion?
Could you pls tell us?

lol Cantell why are you surprised? this guy was ahead and used to sing about what is killing Nigeria and Africa in genral, and his attire was hehehe no comment
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by BabaEleko(m): 2:23am On Oct 26, 2011
Maumur Gaddafi! grin
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by odumchi: 2:38am On Oct 26, 2011
Why isnt anyone saying Morroco Maduka? Lol
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by kieryn(f): 2:41am On Oct 26, 2011
Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson all the way!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by zangalord: 3:12am On Oct 26, 2011
Osadebe is the undisputed champion
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Nobody: 3:22am On Oct 26, 2011
someone actually added fela
thats afro-beat
hell he created the beat
and pls no more flaviour nabania here,if you remixed a song from one of the greats,then no space for you
I like him as a musician and he is basically my fav right now but when talking of music and highlife in particular
Sir Victor Uwaifo
Chief Olver De-Cokuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Sir Warrior
Orlando Owoh
Bobby Benson
Chief Olisadebe
Victor olaiya
Bright Chimezie

Its quite a pity that artist of these days canbt sing to save their lives
how many of the artist we have now will you remember a line from their songs in 20yrs from now
all the old artist mentioned above i can at least remember 5 different lines from 5 different songs that just make me want to start downloading some of them
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Nobody: 3:23am On Oct 26, 2011
kieryn:

Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson all the way!!!
thanks for the remembrance
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:23am On Oct 26, 2011
Eze afulukwe 1 of Atani land. Chief Osita Osadebe. Osili nwa mama is unarguably the KING OF HIGH LIFE. Nobody can tamper with this man!!
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by Afam4eva(m): 5:43am On Oct 26, 2011
Oldies: It's got to be Osadebey Osita and 0liver de Coque

Contemporary: Flavour Nabania and J Martins
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by ifyalways(f): 5:46am On Oct 26, 2011
Osadebe.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? by joeyfire(m): 6:29am On Oct 26, 2011
Without a doubt, Chief Osita Osadebey followed by Rex Lawson (the godfather). these days its between flavour nabania and j.martins

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Top 20 Evergreen Love Songs / Top 10 Music Producers In Nigeria / Blackface Signs N52M Record Deal With Franchise Events Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.