Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,238 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 (9896 Views)

The Obamas' Trip To Former Slaving Port In Senegal (Pictures & Video) / Un Declares Boko Haram Number 1 Terror Group In 2012, Britain Eager 2 Assist / Princess Kaoru Nakamaru '3 Days Of Continuous Darkness In 2012' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by isalegan2: 5:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
Foreign policy question on why is it okay for China to have nuclear weapons and not Iran.

Santorum throws in his warped understanding of Islam to justify why Iran should not have such. 

Moderator says the Pakis are also Islamic.  Santorum's not making sense.  He lost me. 

That's what I call talking out of your ar.se.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 5:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
Gingrich tackles Romney head on
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by isalegan2: 5:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
Romney acting like he owns the podium.

A question was posed to him. . . and he's taking it to Newt now.  He tells Gingrich his rhetoric (re: a campaign speech/video or other) was over the top.  Calls Newt "Mr. Speaker" repeatedly, almost derisively.

Newt says, if you can't take the heat, get out. . .

Santorum corrects moderator's question about him by responding, I haven't written a lot of books, I've only written one and it was in response to Hilary Clinton . . . He's addressing traditions of marriage and family.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
Romney refuse to dissociate himself from the Superpac and Newt says its game on, He should wait for his own 27min video on Bain Capital
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 5:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
Clinton says it take a village, I say it takes a family
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by isalegan2: 5:41pm On Jan 08, 2012
Debate is over.

Those New Hampshire "Live Free and Die" people. Everyone wants to appear independent to them.

MSNBC analysts mentioning immediate "oppositional research" of Ron Paul campaign on Huntsmann's bite into their support. The NH people like the mavericks, so concern that some of the votes Paul has been counting on may go to the guy who's been trailing all along. Highlight of Huntsmann's retort to Romney, ". . .that is why this country is divided" comment.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
Attack on Romney

Santorum: If your records were so great why didnt you run for relection in Massachuset

Gingrich: Can we stop the Pious baloney?

Romney: I dont think the person who should contest against Obama should be someone who went to represent Obama in China

Huntsman: Romney criticised me for serving my country cos I did under Obama, i would always put my country first
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by isalegan2: 7:05pm On Jan 08, 2012
Here's NBC's official transcript of Sunday's debate.

http://presspass.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/08/10049650-read-the-nbc-news-facebook-debate-transcript

Below highlight is from Satuday night's debate on ABC.  Missed it.
Of course, Gingrich, Cheney and a bunch of them are all CHICKEN HAWKS.
Thanks, Ron Paul, for telling it like it is on USA foreign policy!
[flash=520,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAHCP-M2N3M[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAHCP-M2N3M
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by Blackteeth(m): 11:25am On Jan 09, 2012
But I think there is a flaw in American politics in the sense that politicans can be carried away to place party ideologies and intrests over national interests.
China will capitalize on these flaws as it drags America backwards.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 5:02am On Jan 11, 2012
The New Hampshire primaries held today and Mitt Romney won

Rick Perry has tagged Romney a Vulture capitalist
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by armyofone(m): 8:05pm On Jan 11, 2012
dayo, don't be surprise if Perry is Romney choice for VP.

they fight and talk, only the poor man feels it.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 8:24pm On Jan 11, 2012
I think Perry would be very useless to the ticket.

He is probably the least intelligent in that debate.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
[size=28pt]Santorum may have won Iowa; Romney calls results ‘a virtual tie’[/size]

Rick Santorum may have won the Iowa caucuses after all—but we'll apparently never know.
Certified results released Thursday morning, first reported by the Des Moines Register, show the final count of votes from Jan. 3's Republican presidential caucus ended with Santorum a whopping 34 votes ahead of Mitt Romney—with 29,839 votes compared to Romney's 29,805.
But Republican officials told the paper that votes from eight precincts are missing and will never certified so the party is expected to render a "split decision." The Iowa Republican Party is expected to make the official announcement later this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/santorum-may-won-iowa-romney-calls-results-virtual-123742689.html
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 7:16pm On Jan 19, 2012
[size=18pt]Rick Perry ended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination and endorsed Newt Gingrich this morning, saying he saw "no viable path forward" after his dwindling support took him from front-runner status to dead last[/size].

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/rick-perry-ending-campaign/story?id=15393322
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by armyofone(m): 3:27am On Jan 20, 2012
Mischievous one, tongue

you forgot to add ''breaking news'' Newt ex wifey came out to say "Newt wanted an open marriage". same as 2 wives, same as African style Polygamy grin grin

He is gaining ground, ummm. Not sure what Republicans think with yet: head, pocket or 3rd leg. We shall see.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 7:22am On Jan 20, 2012
Newt Gingrich lambasted the media when he was asked about the open marriage issue with his ex wife
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by thameamead(f): 1:48pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

Newt Gingrich lambasted the media when he was asked about the open marriage issue with his ex wife

Gingrichh vote the debate by attacking Obama and the left-wing media, his advisers deserve a pay rsie for the way he turned things round, he received a standing ovation but those allegations by his ex-wife will lose him a lot of votes, as for Romney, if i were him, i would release my tax returns, i think he is refusing eiher because he's bn dodging tax or he's bn donating huge amounts of money to his church. Newt is the one to watch, sadly, i see Obama as a one-term precident, he's bn nothing but a disappointment, all talk no action, he's moved to the right to please Fox News, he's made a mess of everything,
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by thameamead(f): 1:52pm On Jan 21, 2012
armyofone:

Mischievous one, tongue

you forgot to add ''breaking news'' Newt ex wifey came out to say "Newt wanted an open marriage". same as 2 wives, same as African style Polygamy grin grin

He is gaining ground, ummm. Not sure what Republicans think with yet: head, pocket or 3rd leg. We shall see.

The Republicans want Obama out ASAP, they and their backers (the Koch brothers) hate Obama with a passion, those allegations by his -wife will lose him votes from women but i see him winning the nomination, Bye Bye Obama!
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 2:53pm On Jan 21, 2012
I dont see Obama losing this election to any of those contestant
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 3:18am On Jan 22, 2012
Former Speaker newt Gingrich has won in South carolina

This is a blowout 41% for Newt
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by thameamead(f): 1:15pm On Jan 22, 2012
dayokanu:

I dont see Obama losing this election to any of those contestant

With the financial backing of the Koch Brothers, Obama has no chance plus the economy and a rise in employment, Newt and Donald Trump are at war with Obama, its like a war btw Israel and Hamas, so Mr Right Wing oops Mr Dayokanu, as a republican who do u think will get the nomination or do you think should be representing the Republican.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by preselect(m): 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2012
I disagree, Romney has the best chance of beating Obama. If Gingrich is nominee, most conservatives will be on his side. GOP supporters will back him but independents may not. Bc of his record, women, ethics committee report which led to his resignation as speaker, his erratic nature, Tiffany jewel issue etc
Independents may prefer Obama to him for these.

Romney however is more "sane" and will attract GOP supporters( who hate Obama and will vote anybody but him) and some Obama supporters who are unhappy( but not angry enough to vote for crazies like newt et al)
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by TayoD1(m): 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2012
@pres-elect,

I know conventional wisdom dictates that it takes Romney to beat Obama but I disagree.  Tell me, what is the difference between Romney and McCain who lost to Obama 3 years ago? You cannot be more moderate or "sane" as you put it than McCain. Afterall, it was the same argument the same conventional wisdom gave us 3 years ago and it ended up failing.

As for Newt being one of the "crazies", they called Reagan worse because of his stance as a conservative.  Conservatism wins any day and that is what Newt confirmed in the last primaries, all despite his huge flaws.  Romney can neither articulate what he stands for nor express conservatism in an attractive way.  He will surely depress the base and will certainly lose the so-called independent vote to Obama.  I am more convinced of Newt's chances than I am of Mitt.

Lest I forget, Newt's chances of stealing a lot of Democrat's votes is much higher than Mitt's. Afterall, many Dems will mistake Newt for a Democrat going by his history of illicit relationships! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 12:59am On Jan 24, 2012
Tayo-D:

@pres-elect,

I know conventional wisdom dictates that it takes Romney to beat Obama but I disagree. Tell me, what is the difference between Romney and McCain who lost to Obama 3 years ago? You cannot be more moderate or "sane" as you put it than McCain. Afterall, it was the same argument the same conventional wisdom gave us 3 years ago and it ended up failing.
As for Newt being one of the "crazies", they called Reagan worse because of his stance as a conservative. Conservatism wins any day and that is what Newt confirmed in the last primaries, all despite his huge flaws. Romney can neither articulate what he stands for nor express conservatism in an attractive way. He will surely depress the base and will certainly lose the so-called independent vote to Obama. I am more convinced of Newt's chances than I am of Mitt.

Lest I forget, Newt's chances of stealing a lot of Democrat's votes is much higher than Mitt's. Afterall, many Dems will mistake Newt for a Democrat going by his history of illicit relationships! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3years ago ppl saw Obama as a breath of fresh air and a sharp departure from Washington which drove many Independents to him.

But now, A lot of independents are disatified and even the democrats arent so sold on Obama anymore. Thats what the GOP should capitalize on.

Bringing a Gingrich into play would only excite the core republicans and tea baggers. The Independents would view Newt as too extreme and his private life is something Obama can campiagn against.

His tenure as speaker which he was disgraced out,
his several broken marriages and loose lifestyle would lose him a lot of women voters
Also his connections with Freddie Mac where he profited like 1.6m as a lobbyist for the company.
I'm sure the media wont hesitate to paint Newt as a grumpy old man.

Even Rick Santorum said that Newt is a very risky candidate whose temperament is too unpredictable and can explode anytime.

Newt is the better debater but when you are contending with someone like Obama who can easily rile you up with snide remarks. Newt is a risky gamble cos he might say something out of turn

A choice of Newt might agitate erstwhile lukewarm Democrats to vote against Newt

Many Independents would consider Mitt but Newt would be a hard sell

If you want a keenly contested race then it has to be Barack vs Mitt

If you want the Dems to steamroll GOP then bring Newt
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by TayoD1(m): 2:53am On Jan 24, 2012
@dayokanu,

You have not given me any reason why a McCain-Lite (Romney) can beat Obama when Grand daddy McCain could not. How can someone who could not beat McCain beat Obama who beat McCain? It takes standing logic on its head to accept such a conclusion. Despite the flaws of the many candidates he is up against in the primaries, Mitt finds it difficult, if not impossible to win the nomination and you think he stands a chance in the general.

Scott Brown showed us what it takes to win the independent vote - go conservative! It was conservatism and not liberalism that won the House back for the Republicans in the last election. As long as the message is well articulated by someone who has a history of conservatism, you can be sure it will win every time in America.

I dare Obama to mention Newt's association with Fannie and Freddie in a debate. I trust Newt to quickly point out that it was Obama who peddled influence to get a sweet-heart mortgage loan to buy his house. At least Newt offered consultancy services in which he recommended that F&F change course. Obama on the other hand was responsible for using the threat of law suit to compel Banks to make loans to people who cannot afford them. Obama's got a lot of garbage and the attractive thing about Newt is that people know he will not be afraid to point them out, unlike Mitt.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 3:50am On Jan 24, 2012
TayoD,

You have to understand that in 2008, Obama came out as the new guy, The voice of change and a lot of people fell for that.

Very few people could have beaten Obama then, The Obama movt then was like an emperor, an inspirational leader Like A Lincoln.

4 years later a lot of people don't view Obama the way they saw him in 2008. Now many are disappointed even the Democrats. Minus the presidential camaraderie and power of the airforce one, Obama is much weaker now than in 2008

That is key and you need to capitalize on that Loss of confidence.

Fielding a Newt would make people start thinking of the lesser of two evil.

Barack is dissapointing but can they vote for Newt? An unfaithful husband, a temperamental and combustible character, A speaker who was "shamed" out of the house?
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 4:17am On Jan 24, 2012
Governor Christie: Newt is not going to be an embarassment to the GOP, He is already an embarasment to the GOP

Newt Gingrich: If you have been campaigning for president for 6 years and you see it slip away you become desperate. Mitt Romney has graduated from Pious baloney to desperate baloney.

Mitt Romney: I have been in leadership position just like Speaker Gingrich but Speaker was forced to resign and was disgraced out of the Senate

Rick Santorum: I dont know how much Newt Gingrich paid John King to ask him that kind of question but it surely was a lot of money.

Ron Paul: The problem is that I cant even separate the 3 other competitor

The gloves are surely coming off and they are fighting it bare knuckled
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by JeSoul(f): 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2012
Uncle Tayo, Happy New Year sir smiley. Hope body, family & faith are all in excellent condition.

Prez happy new year to you too. I hope you've been staying out of trouble? I wish you a very conservative 2012  cheesy

Dayokanu how body now? good job with the updates on the thread.
dayokanu:

Governor Christie: Newt is not going to be an embarassment to the GOP, He is already an embarasment to the GOP
LOL. Gosh I just love hearing quotes from gov christie Lol.

@topic, if Newt or Romney end up being the candidate, I will be voting for Obama. While Newt may be debating well, I do not find him believable for one second and Romney is simply a shadow playing the role.
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by TayoD1(m): 5:16pm On Jan 24, 2012
@JeSoul,

Uncle Tayo, Happy New Year sir . Hope body, family & faith are all in excellent condition.
We thank God, we thank God. I trust everything is well in your corner of the world as well.

@topic, if Newt or Romney end up being the candidate, I will be voting for Obama. While Newt may be debating well, I do not find him believable for one second and Romney is simply a shadow playing the role.
Kai, to think you just wished Pre-elect a very conservative year only to turn around and say you will be voting Obama. You asked about my faith earlier, how is yours?! cheesy
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by JeSoul(f): 6:02pm On Jan 24, 2012
Tayo-D:

@JeSoul,
We thank God, we thank God. I trust everything is well in your corner of the world as well.
Glad you're doing well smiley. I thank God too, my corner is just splendid. The Lord is too good.

Kai, to think you just wished Pre-elect a very conservative year only to turn around and say you will be voting Obama. You asked about my faith earlier, how is yours?! cheesy
Haha! Nice one cheesy. I tire for the tired options they're parading in front of us. A man who has never kept a vow in his life, another who cannot make up his mind on what he believes, another who is too old and flaky to make any real difference and the last who is thoroughly uninspiring despite his best efforts.

Might as well save all that money, skip the general elections and give the 2nd term to Obama already . . . cos I honestly don't see him losing against any of the current crop of selection that we have - even as weak as he is now. Is this seriously the best the Right can come up with? seriously? Let the Republican establishment not think that they can slap a conservative label on any damaged package and automatically expect conservatives/independents to vote for them - I will express my sentiments about that by the way I vote.

Besides, Michelle Obama is my girl jor . . . grin grin grin
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by dayokanu(m): 6:21pm On Jan 24, 2012
Atimes I am appaled that is this the best the GOP can come up with.

Honestly to me only Romney looks or Sounds Presidential maybe Huntsman too.

As much as its not a test of morals but someone like Herman cain, Newt Gingrich, Michelle bachman to be campaigning for President of USA that means they would be the Number 1 man in the world shocked shocked
Re: Who Would Be Obamas Opponent In 2012 by montelik(m): 10:04am On Jan 25, 2012
Obama will win in 2012 baring any major scandals, end of story. Romney is incredibly over-rated. Not only is he a total phony, his supposed "electability" is a farce. How can somebody be so electable, when he has only won one major election in numerous attempts, after which he promptly declined to run for a second term when it was clear he would have his ass kicked. If he gets d nomination he will promptly be shown to be a total sham by d Obama machine.

Newt is even worse. There is no where to begin listing d problems with him a general election. At this stage even Trump would have a better shot than him lipsrsealed. As for the Gov Christie, why didn't he run if he is so interested is who is embarrassing or who is not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Liveable Cities In Africa -- Nigeria No Where To Be Found / John Godson Polish First Black MP (Nigerian) / Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.