Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (3780 Views)

Which Books Are You Currently Reading? / What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 12:38am On Oct 26, 2011
Why is it that popular books are being pirated? How can piracy be eradicated? Has your own book or that of anyone you know been pirated?

Share your experiences here,let's proffer solutions to this copyright infringement menace in Nigeria. -From Tayo Demola.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 5:52pm On Oct 26, 2011
Some bookshop owners may be collaborators in this problem of piracy.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 27, 2011
Because there is endemic corruption; lack of tangible jobs and laws are not enforced except when it benefits "The Big man".
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 27, 2011
"Better there is no law ----than no law enforced"

Piracy is here to stay
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by kem82: 10:12am On Oct 27, 2011
most nigerians do not value intellectual property
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by oneuniquemind(m): 10:15am On Oct 27, 2011
e-books download.we'r al hustlin 4 mo#£¥.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by ezme(m): 10:18am On Oct 27, 2011
We are all guilty of this, especially if you had your tertiary education in Nigeria
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by rockchic: 10:27am On Oct 27, 2011
no hope abeg. There is just no hope. Everyone patronises pirates. Pirated CD, DVD, books, it helps us to save money. Abeg they should not stop piracy oh, so i can buy affordable books for my kids
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by paniki(m): 10:35am On Oct 27, 2011
knowledge should be free for all. If patent and copyright law were to be abolished then America, Japan and a few other economies would become crippled. Knowledge should be free for all.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:37am On Oct 27, 2011
because we are use to that name grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Kx: 10:38am On Oct 27, 2011
because pirated works are almost readily available and cheap.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by sheyguy: 10:46am On Oct 27, 2011
cos they can be pirated and there is profit in it
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by adanny01(m): 10:57am On Oct 27, 2011
Piracy is everywhere in Nigeria.
My former boss was going to UK, his UK girlfriend asked him to buy her Audio cds as they cost peanuts here.
I had 3 cartons of some secondary school books from a reputable publisher in Nigeria (wont mention), i took them to the market and was astonished how cheap the pirated copies were. Buying from the publisher at #800/copy the market bookshops offered me #200-#300/copy knowing its the original. They sell the same books at #400-#500.
No publisher can beat that and Nigerians cant afford their normal prices, hence the problem.
This applies to other products pirated.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 27, 2011
[size=15pt]Because there's no law that enforces the protection of Intellectual properties.[/size]
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by oludimuni: 11:10am On Oct 27, 2011
An average Nigerian is an Illiterate,

may be educated to note.

Some are brilliant but not intelligent,

so less creative,

yet want to earn money.

So some resolve to pirating other peoples works to make ends.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by highland(m): 11:13am On Oct 27, 2011
Poor regulation will surely lead to piracy in any country. Government and Agencies of govt needs to be serious about regulations in Nigeria.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by bayo1(m): 11:20am On Oct 27, 2011
Same reason why every other thing is pirated!
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by deco2come: 11:22am On Oct 27, 2011
oludimuni:

An average Nigerian is an Illiterate,

may be educated to note.

Some are brilliant but not intelligent,

so less creative,

yet want to earn money.

So some resolve to pirating other peoples works to make ends.

If that is the case, what will you say about China that can copy everything copyable . If I have to conclude from what you said, that means an avarage Chinese is illiterate.

@Poster, Jesus said, be the first to throw the stone if you haven't commit the same crime.

If I may ask, have you ever been guilty of pirated CD, DVD, AUDIO, etc.

I think the problem is not only a Nigeria thing. It is everywhere
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by manny4life(m): 12:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
Like seriously? Duh, there are NO enforceable piracy and copyright laws in Nigeria. We have laws but NO ONE and I mean NO ONE or agency enforces those laws. Until people begin to go to jail for piracy, i.e. book sellers / marketers purchasing directly from publishers, and people are held accountable (without bribery and corruption), till then piracy has come to stay.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by martinosi: 1:20pm On Oct 27, 2011
TayoDemola:

Why is it that popular books are being pirated?How can piracy be eradicated? Has your own book or that of anyone you know been pirated? Share your experiences here,let's profer solutions to this copyright infringement menace in Nigeria. -From Tayo Demola.

Because Nigerians cant afford the original copies duh!!!! what a plank you r!!!!
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by KacHemNaU(m): 1:26pm On Oct 27, 2011
Pirated books are cheap to buy
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Natasha2(f): 1:35pm On Oct 27, 2011
martinosi:

Because Nigerians cant afford the original copies duh!!!! what a plank you r!!!!
duh is something wrong with you? undecided
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 27, 2011
It's cheaper to build a healthy arsenal of knowledge and develop myself.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Gbenge77(m): 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2011
Do they only exist in Nigeria?
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by SUCCESSTC(m): 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2011
Piracy is bad.
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Bawss1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 01, 2011
bayo1:

Same reason why every other thing is pirated!
Exactly
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 12:40am On Aug 18, 2012
adanny01: Piracy is everywhere in Nigeria.
My former boss was going to UK, his UK girlfriend asked him to buy her Audio cds as they cost peanuts here.
I had 3 cartons of some secondary school books from a reputable publisher in Nigeria (wont mention), i took them to the market and was astonished how cheap the pirated copies were. Buying from the publisher at #800/copy the market bookshops offered me #200-#300/copy knowing its the original. They sell the same books at #400-#500.
No publisher can beat that and Nigerians cant afford their normal prices, hence the problem.
This applies to other products pirated.

Now this goes to show that one of the reasons why books are pirated is because the cost of the original books is too much for people to afford. But then how do these pirates break even with their dubious acts considering the cost they too will incure in producing those pirated copies? Or is it just to spoil business for the original publishers?
Re: Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 12:55am On Aug 18, 2012
But it is so painful that authors and publishers are losing so much money to these so called pirates in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

The Native Doctor That Reigned In Benin, Edo State. / WAR And LOVE ( Story Of Ex Soldier Contain War, Love And Commedy. / Why I Don't Like 'half Of A Yellow Sun'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.