Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (49067 Views)

List Of 10 Top Toughest Examinations In The World. See If JAMB Made The List. / A Picture Of Mass Communication Dept. In IMT Enugu / Post-JAMB Examinations in Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Man51ut(m): 1:43am On Aug 19, 2012
Poor attitude to education by stakeholders: Govt, School officials, teachers, students, parents.

I am teaching in a public school for NYSC. Now I'm a private school ajebota. I went to Atlantic Hall in the 90s and then I went abroad. It was a bit of a culture shock to see how things were in public schools.

Even ignoring the brutality of the teachers and staff towards the students; they flogged the students like animals. the system is broken. it's set up so that students cram, rather than learn. the teachers talk at the students rather than encouraging discourse. i teach SS1. I was excited cos I was thinking we could have mature discussions...NOT!!! "Tell me about the culture in your village" I almost had to bring out truth serum to get them to talk.

I told them they would form their own notes. They looked like me like I told them they would be sacrificing one of their number to the dark lord.

the teachers also write off the students. imagine one teacher telling the student to his face that the witches and wizards in his village are successful in making him useless. they are all dumb was also a familiar refrain. I don't know whether years of being called dumb affected the students so they actually believe it, because while some of them were indeed fecking eediots, some of them just seemed plain scared to think.

the ministry of education and NUT should have been cool on the scheme to send corpers to schools. what does it say about the teaching profession in Nigeria if people can randomly be sent to teach in schools with no care whether they are qualified or talented at it. why have a national college of education then, why have educational qualifications. then we have the people who are unsuitable to teaching or to even work with young children. on this very site, somebody boasted about banging his students. one of the corpers i worked with couldn't even express herself well, and her attitude was more akin to someone selling bole than a further maths teacher.

the students also dull themselves. but that's just a symptom of everything.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Master6(m): 4:33am On Aug 19, 2012
It is really obvious dat most people posting on this thread must have done these exams quite a long time ago. I am not saying dat all of d students dat failed in exams were poorly marked. But it still remains true dat a lot of all these national examinations are really poorly poorly marked.
I am looking @ NECO specifically. Any studnt dt sat for Neco in recent times will surely av nothing cheery to say.
Some other times, exams mark r boosted. Yes, dts right, for those of u nt based in Naija, there r frequent errors in d awarding of marks to d students even in Jamb. I remember in 2009, my marks were boosted frm 242 to 270. Think of instances where errors will go unnoticed etc. What of ppl dat actually merit 232, after subtracting dos marks dat r due to errors.

All I am saying is with all d distraction in d world 2day. The present youth have still proven to be d smartest and most intelligent yet.!!

1 Like

Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Homogeneositys(f): 8:01am On Aug 19, 2012
It's not all students dat is nt serious, i also wrote waec and i know wat i went through in 2010. Even the most intelligent student in my didn't have 3 credits. It's d fault of those people marking.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Enzymaticrxn: 8:40am On Aug 19, 2012
Well, very nice contributions from u all. My own contribution to this is that the fault is hydra-headed. The tentacles exteded from parents to the students to the teachers and to the state goverments. How do i mean? U may ask.

On the parents side:
some parents only like to get results but not willing to work for it. U will see a parents, ur child will comeback from school, the only thing u will ask the child is to go and eat, then go for hawking. How do u expect this child to get good result? Some parents don't even care to knw about the day-to-day performance of their child(ren) in the class, no encouragement.

TEACHERS: some of them dont evn knw how to teach and what to teach. The expectations of SSCE bodies are higher than the students. The teachers don't even strive to meetup with these demands. Some teachers are discouragers and contributes to the jeopardisation of the student's performance.

Students:
this is the centre of the whole problem. Nowadays we the youths find joy and fame in rubbish activities like watchin sports, chyking, playin some useless home video games and sexual intercourse, keeping bad friends which doesnt contribute to our academic success.
I think if all thes issues are adressed, the performance will be boosted to an extent.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by icez: 9:48am On Aug 19, 2012
hmmm.....
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by coolestboy(m): 11:10am On Aug 19, 2012
U people keep sayin students are nt dedicated and committed 2 there studies and so on. But, do u know dt most of these students are still in there adolescents/ teenage stage? They hardly know d importance of dis education at thier stage, and how do u xpect them 2 plan for wat is irrelevant to them at that stage they are?
80% of d blame goes to the teachers and 20% to the parents.
80% to the teachers because of d following reasons:
1. They are being paid 4 dis job and 99% of them hardly perform their functions.
2. The students spend d larger percent of their time in school. 7-5pm in skul, 5-8pm at home and d rest is meant 4 rest.
3. How do u xpect uneducated parents to teach wat they dont know, though, their part is needed but d teachers have been pedagogically trained to impact this knowledge, so y are they not performing up to task.
4. 80% of teachers have better businesses and shops dat they monitor and this has consequently declined their commitment as well.
Finally, we call teachers 'THE NATION BUILDER', are they really building the nation or destroying d nation just 4 their self interest?
TEACHERS, UR CONTRIBUTION AND TOTAL COMMITMENT IS NEEDED.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by hasyak(m): 11:14am On Aug 19, 2012
coolestboy: U people keep sayin students are nt dedicated and committed 2 there studies and so on. But, do u know dt most of these students are still in there adolescents/ teenage stage? They hardly know d importance of dis education at thier stage, and how do u xpect them 2 plan for wat is irrelevant to them at that stage they are?
80% of d blame goes to the teachers and 20% to the parents.
80% to the teachers because of d following reasons:
1. They are being paid 4 dis job and 99% of them hardly perform their functions.
2. The students spend d larger percent of their time in school. 7-5pm in skul, 5-8pm at home and d rest is meant 4 rest.
3. How do u xpect uneducated parents to teach wat they dont know, though, their part is needed but d teachers have been pedagogically trained to impact this knowledge, so y are they not performing up to task.
4. 80% of teachers have better businesses and shops dat they monitor and this has consequently declined their commitment as well.
Finally, we call teachers 'THE NATION BUILDER', are they really building the nation or destroying d nation just 4 their self interest?
TEACHERS, UR CONTRIBUTION AND TOTAL COMMITMENT IS NEEDED.
+7
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by jambogini: 1:02pm On Aug 19, 2012
Scrap off waec, jamb neco gce and all. After ss3, student should have opportunity to choose university... Those examinations is really bullshit. Waste of money and time, big revenue generation for our criminalize govt... What a waste taking those exams. Protest protest protest... Asian country dont need such result to enter university lol

If you are opportuned to study in asia, after high school, you can then chose university but depend on ur abilit to pay school fees..
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by mu2sa2: 1:23pm On Aug 19, 2012
ogbeche77: [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
bestads: Dear Nigerians, the reasons for mass failure of our teenagers in public exams are not far fetched.
1 FACEBOOK,YAHOO,TWITTER,MYSPACE and generally browsing on
the internet instead of reading their books
2 ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE and EUROPEAN FOOTBALL LEAGUES,
it is easy for an average nigerian teenager to know the tha names of all
chelsea players but same youths cannot tell you the square root 25 in mathematic. Worse still is that these days instead of seeing inscriptions
like UNIVERISTY or SCHOLARS on the exercise books, what you see are
pictures of paloma,Drogba,Beyonce,Omotola etc
3 DSTV,Home video and african movie magic, watching television and
films endlessly.European champions league,English
premiership,Barca,Blues,Chelsea,MANU etc 4 GSM and BLACKBERRY, the average nigerian teenager uses the latest
and expensive gsm phones just to show off that they belong,when they are
actually nothing.
5 GSM TEXT LANGUAGE, I will not be suprised to see students write
words like ur(for YOUR), 2moro( For tomorrow) in their EXAM sheets
6 QUEST FOR CHEAP FAME AND WEALTH, The goverment,electronic media(tv and radio) and companies have not been helpful at all.The
average nigerian youth especially the girls want to BE silver Birds most
beautiful Girl and get cheap money and fame(Nobody has remembered all
the previous miss world,but we still remember MOTHER THERESA),they
want to win IDOLS WEST AFRICA, they want to be in NOLLYWOOD, they
want to be TWO-FACE,they want to win maltina street dance ,they want to win starquest and GULDER ULTIMATE SEARCH
Warning is that wealth gotten by vanity shall DIMINISH.
7 The new craze of TALENT SHOWS: Suddenly The only talents our
youths now have are music,dancing,acting and stand up comedies, they
no longer have talents for maths,physics and entrepreneurism.
Check out the list:MTN PROJECT FAME,BIG BROTHER,STARQUEST,MALTINA DANCE
HALL,AMBO,GUILDER,IDOLS WEST AFRICA,PEAK TALENT HUNT
ETC…What a bad distraction
It is only COWBELL that sponsors national mathematics competition and
give scholarships to outstanding students in UME exams
8 EVER BUSY PARENTS, Parents are always in search for money,business and jobs,they live home 5am and come back 10pm
leaving their children to the care of house helps and teachers in private
schools. THEY have forgotten that out of the 24 hours in a day their
children will only spend 8am-2pm(6 hrs) in school and in hands of the
teachers the remaining 18hrs is spent in the home(wether sleep or not)
.these same ever busy parents can not look into the books of their teenagers,they don't monitor waht the teenagers watch nor who they
associate with.
9 WEAK GOVT POLICIES:The people in Govt see all these vanities on
tele and radio and they will not nip them in the bud, because they are naïve
and corrupt and so the rot continues
If you have a contrary view then post it on this forum.
Nothing more to add.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by bestlife(m): 1:47am On Aug 20, 2012
[quote author=God2man][/quote]
u have said it all
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by Phartymah112(f): 12:08am On Aug 21, 2012
Well,if i could add my own,i would have said most of people's post here are wrong.

Let me just ask a question, "those who read day and night,looking at the face of God,though they are graduated but do the government crown their effort with good job and good payment?
If truly those that worked really hard are highly recognized than those talent shows's winners such as dancing,singing,peak talent haunts,idol west africa,mtn project fame,maltina dance etc. So why would every student work hard.

And moreso,everything in Nigeria now depends on "Who you knows" not what you have learned.

What is even the essence of studying really hard day and night,all those challenges in school,sufferings,money and time spent without getting a well payed job?

1 Like

Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 12:27am On Sep 13, 2013
Phartymah112: Well,if i could add my own,i would have said most of people's post here are wrong.

Let me just ask a question, "those who read day and night,looking at the face of God,though they are graduated but do the government crown their effort with good job and good payment?
If truly those that worked really hard are highly recognized than those talent shows's winners such as dancing,singing,peak talent haunts,idol west africa,mtn project fame,maltina dance etc. So why would every student work hard.

And moreso,everything in Nigeria now depends on "Who you knows" not what you have learned.

What is even the essence of studying really hard day and night,all those challenges in school,sufferings,money and time spent without getting a well payed job?

Well, the issue of graduating and not finding a job is a societal problem of unemployment. This is something the government needs to address. But that doesn't mean students should not read their books or prepare adequately for their exams.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 1:12am On Sep 13, 2013
The social media, no doubt, is having a serious effect on the ability of students to have time for their studies.
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 1:23am On Sep 13, 2013
This year's JAMB UTME results was another mass failure! And this really surprised everybody.

But with the rate of failure nationwide, are the universities still supposed to use the JAMB results for admissions this year?

Many of them have done so already but are they not supposed to make use of only post JAMB scores due to poor performance in JAMB?
Re: Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola by TayoDemola(m): 3:30am On Sep 14, 2013
Can we say examination is a true test of knowledge?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Representatives At Indonesia 2017 World School Debate / ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / Owura Kwadwo Hottish: Meet Computer Teacher In Ghana Whose Drawing Went Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.