Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,170 members, 7,780,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:42 AM

B.sc Vs B.tech - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / B.sc Vs B.tech (9344 Views)

Federal Polytechnics To Award Bachelor Of Technology (B. TECH) Degrees / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.sc Vs B.tech by sgd: 9:44am On Oct 26, 2011
Is there really differences between a B.sc and B.tech graduates from Nigeria universities? Do they have different job opportunities? The number of years they spent in school are different what does this really mean? Are you a graduate or an undergraduate of either, share your views,
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by Mobsync(m): 11:12am On Oct 26, 2011
Dunno bt I'm reading pure and applied physics (B.Tech) in Ladoke akintola university Ogbomoso, it's a 5 yr course. But in other schools *(B.Sc)* it is 4 yrs and known as pure physics.
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by badesco(m): 11:47am On Oct 26, 2011
d 2 are the same.
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by sgd: 3:28pm On Oct 26, 2011
someone should say something about this why the difference in years
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by Malila: 10:19pm On Oct 26, 2011
One more year to milk a few more nairas from you, and (less important) keep you a bit longer from joining the flooded job market.
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by chamber2(m): 12:44am On Oct 27, 2011
The difference, i think, is in the nature of institution and the content of the program.
One is university of technology and awards a B.tech with emphasis on the use, development and application of technology. The other places less emphasis on technology and greater emphasis on theory.

B.tech is suitable for those who want to work in a technology oriented industry or field. B.Sc is suitable for those who want to get into lecturing or research positions.

However, the 5-4 yrs doesn't really matter in the industry.No body asks you how long your program was in the labour market, except if you had an extra yr. I am yet to understand the reason for the discrepancy in years.
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by AjanleKoko: 10:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
chamber2:

The difference, i think, is in the nature of institution and the content of the program.
One is university of technology and awards a B.tech with emphasis on the use, development and application of technology. The other places less emphasis on technology and greater emphasis on theory.

B.tech is suitable for those who want to work in a technology oriented industry or field. B.Sc is suitable for those who want to get into lecturing or research positions.

However, the 5-4 yrs doesn't really matter in the industry.No body asks you how long your program was in the labour market, except if you had an extra yr. I am yet to understand the reason for the discrepancy in years.

In the old days, there was no competition, universities just designed programs and called it anything they liked, based on the particular founding academic's nuances, and NUC did not really try to standardize these programs.
Thank God now people are asking questions.
Re: B.sc Vs B.tech by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2012
It's really unfortunate that many of you are not aware that b.tech is more valuable than b.sc globally. B.tech is a professional degree like b.eng,b.arc etc. That's why its 5yrs, and in other developed nations the duration is also longer.

(1) (Reply)

Polytechnic Lecturers Begin Warning Strike Today / Pls Help Me out am Seriously In a Hot Soup / Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.